daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #7381
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Sendai Subway Tozai Line CM

In preparation for the opening of the second subway line in Sendai City next 6th of December, the company has launched the campaign WE, West meets East because the Tozai Line runs from the west to the east wards of the Tohoku capital.

The CM looks so futuristic compared with the current railway commercials.

Test runs:

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #7382
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Yeah, JR East's E231s are nearing the end of their service life (no doubt they'll be popping up elsewhere though) and so the Yamanote and maybe Sobu lines will get new sets.
I have my doubts the E231-500's running on the Yamanote Line will be moved to other lines--the daily frequent start-stop operation on that line puts enormous stress on the whole trainset and the physical wear and tear on them could make them not viable for a rebuild program to be used on other lines--they'll probably be sent to Nagano or Niigata for scrapping. As such, as the E235's replace them, you won't see the E231-500's on other lines, in my humble opinion. And I do expect an expanded production of the E235 so they replace the 205 and 209 EMU's on the Musashino Line.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #7383
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

How about the 209-500s and E231-0s on the Chuo-Sobu Line?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #7384
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
How about the 209-500s and E231-0s on the Chuo-Sobu Line?
I think the Chūō-Sōbu Line--like the Musashino Line--may become candidates to get a variant of the E235 once the order for the Yamanote Line trains are fulfilled. The 205's are getting old, and the 209's are not supposed to have that long an operational life, either. As such, a few years from now the Chūō-Sōbu Line trains will need to be replaced, and an E235 variant fits the need.
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #7385
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Just a quick question: when those heavy duty trains retire and are decommissioned, can any of the salvagable parts be reused on other train types as well to replace worn out parts, if not build new trains out of them? For example, the outer shell of an E231 can be reused for building another train by way of recycling?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #7386
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Just a quick question: when those heavy duty trains retire and are decommissioned, can any of the salvagable parts be reused on other train types as well to replace worn out parts, if not build new trains out of them? For example, the outer shell of an E231 can be reused for building another train by way of recycling?
it sends to south east Asia and other Asia where they need

Last edited by castermaild55; September 7th, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #7387
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26179

Updated Naha monorail map on urbanrail.net, including future extension:

lkstrknb, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #7388
sacto7654

It really depends on the condition of the train when they're retired from service in Japan. Those in good condition are sold to Indonesia especially, since the majority of the railways there use the same 1067 mm Cape gauge commonly used in Japan.

However, some trainsets may just end up at the scrapyard due to too much use in stop-and-go service. I expect most of JR East's 209 Series EMU and the Yamanote Line E231-500 Series EMU fleet to head to the scrapper instead of heading to Indonesia.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #7389
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Sometimes these sets will also pop up on third-sector railways like the Shinano Railway in Nagano or Izu Railway in Shizuoka since they also use the same gauge and in some cases, used to be a JR railway that was spun off.

In other lines of thought, it's also possible that the E217s now plying the Yokosuka Line, but also used to be on the Tokaido line, will be replaced with some outer suburban variant of the E235 (along with having Green Cars as well)

fieldsofdreams, pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #7390
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Groundbreaking for JR Shibuya Station Redevelopments

This took place last week on 7 September I believe. I was able to talk to a few Tokyu and JR contractors, planners and archietects on this development a few days later, and they say we are going to start to see some serious building happening after November. Up until now, most of the construction has been taking place under the east side of the development to move the Shibuya River canal into a new culvert along with creating a new water retention facility. Since that is done, we will now see more above ground works start in earnest.*
  1. As far as JR is concerned, They will first need to make the Yamanote line inner loop platform (Shinagawa-Tokyo bound) into an island platform for the outer loop trains to stop there.[/*]
  2. Next they can then hack away at the then disused platform on that side and add another track somehow, creating a new island platform out of the space. At that point the Yamanote Line will move to that platform temporarily.[/*]
  3. The island platform first created then can be shifted more and become the new Saikyo Line platform, and the Yamanote platform will be shifted over more and become the new Yamanote Platform... side by side in the final configuration.[/*]
This will have to happen while the station is in operation, still catering to *the same amount of people that have to use the station everyday (including yours truly )

JR will be using their existing property lines and not encroach upon Tokyu's property line--which if you see the site in person, is impossible now since there's a building foundation going in where the old Tokyu Toyoko station used to be. How they manage that is beyond my comprehension but I can't wait to document the process.

The goal for completing the JR platform rennovation is the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, in time for the Olympics. Again, my mouth dropped, but since I have a booklet from Tokyu along with a press release from JR East, this is gospel. The completely renovated station will be done 7 years later in 2027, but the platform structures will be there in time for the Olympics.

Here's a news report with coverage of the ground breaking as well as a a good graphic overview from TokyoMX TV the other night...

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:23 PM   #7391
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

The Facebook page of Sendai Subway Touzai Line is always updated:

https://www.facebook.com/touzaisen

=)

dimlys1994, wwc234 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #7392
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Looks like they will open it pretty soon.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM   #7393
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

And after they open it, there will not be any new subways under construction in Japan (except maybe Nanakuma Line extension to Hakata in Fukuoka).

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:54 PM   #7394
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Depends on if you count the projects around Tokyo with the private railroads, Yurikamome, and the like. Admittedly, these are relatively minor, but they DO include tunnels, and could be considered subways.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:21 PM   #7395
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
And after they open it, there will not be any new subways under construction in Japan (except maybe Nanakuma Line extension to Hakata in Fukuoka).
For now. There are quite advanced plans in a number of places for subway construction. Tokyo and also Osaka have plans on the table. Even Fukuoka also has some plans.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:47 PM   #7396
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
For now. There are quite advanced plans in a number of places for subway construction. Tokyo and also Osaka have plans on the table. Even Fukuoka also has some plans.
Nothing in Kyoto? When I was there not long ago I noticed just how much of the city wasn't served by the subway (or any other rail service) and how far the walking distances from the subway to major tourist spots were.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:48 PM   #7397
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Do you happen to have a timetable/list available?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:17 PM   #7398
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Nothing in Kyoto? When I was there not long ago I noticed just how much of the city wasn't served by the subway (or any other rail service) and how far the walking distances from the subway to major tourist spots were.
Really? Most of central Kyoto is served by some form of rail. The longest you should have walked about 1.5km between two different lines in central Kyoto (station to station), which is not so unusual in most cities. The subway alone is not enough to get around Kyoto - one must look at the Hankyu, JR, Keihan, Kintetsu, Eizan and the Randen networks as well as the Subway. This forms a much more dense network for the city - especially given the city only has 1.5 million people. This is of course supplemented by an extensive bus network too, so all in all Kyoto doesn't need much else at present - especially given the greying of the population there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Do you happen to have a timetable/list available?

The MLIT report stated 12 lines for consideration in Tokyo with quite a number of priority ones. I will find the link later, but it was posted earlier in this thread (and the Tokyo thread itself). Plus Osaka have been quite open about their expansion considerations.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #7399
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
The MLIT report stated 12 lines for consideration in Tokyo with quite a number of priority ones. I will find the link later, but it was posted earlier in this thread (and the Tokyo thread itself).
Does this include train/rail transport related stuff for the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics?

I read the wiki article that mentions something related...

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_S...nd_preparation

"A new railway line is planned to link both airports through an expansion of Tokyo Station, cutting travel time from Tokyo Station to Haneda from 30 minutes to 18 minutes, and from Tokyo Station to Narita from 55 minutes to 36 minutes; the line would cost Ą400 billion yen and would be funded primarily by private investors. But East JR is planning a new route near Tamachi to Haneda Airport. There are also plans to extend the Yurikamome automated transit line from its existing terminal at Toyosu Station to a new terminal at Kachidoki Station, passing the site of the Olympic Village............
Hmm what do you think?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:15 PM   #7400
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

These are all proposals that have been raised over the years. MLIT analyzed a "long list" of 37 projects in the Tokyo area and found seven that warrant "priority further study" and 14 more that warrant study.

The JR link from Tamachi (and Rinkai Line and Saikyo line) to Haneda made the list, but not the Keisei-Kekyu plan to link Haneda and Narita via Tokyo Station.

Instead of the Yurikamome extension, they seem to prefer a new subway from the Ginza area to Ariake area. That was on the "study" list; Yurikamome was not.

I am not sure exactly how infrastructure planning works in Japan but I think this would not preclude private investors from investing in something though.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote