daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #7521
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
He seems to be very subjective and nit picky in some places without backing up his reasons with an explanation. Like a lot of amateur enthusiasts, he looks at things primarily from the user side, when it helps to look at a system's "reason for being" from the financial, governmental, and historical sides as well. Perhaps it's the blog format and its informality compared to say a printed publication. I do agree somewhat about the headways in Nagoya though, at least compared to Sapporo- Sapporo is better, despite being a smaller metro serving fewer passengers. I can't comment vis a vis non-Japanese systems though, my knowledge of them being scant.
I look forward to his comments about Sapporo's metro. I will certainly be on the lookout for any inaccuracies
Particularly so with Japan relative to other places. I've followed his blog for years now, and also his page for even more years, and I've not encountered this tone in his blogging before. I don't know whether he's having particularly bad experiences in Japan (something that is unusual for a transport enthusiast) but in terms of subjective opinions I've noticed he's rather obfuscated on a few facts. When speaking of frequencies on the Nagoya subway, for example, he focused on part of the weekend frequency where certain lines run at 10 minute intervals. He neglects that during the week off-peak it runs at 8tph, so 7-8min wait, making it very comparable to other systems worldwide and more frequent than many others in a similar city size. He was very willing to let Melbourne off, for example, for having trains every 20 minutes in a city that is technically larger than Nagoya, but was deriding 15 minute frequencies on highly suburban routes. He also lavished praise on Stockholm as well, and that's a city I know very, very well.

I've been to many of the cities he's covered previously, and I thought he was rather on point with many of his criticisms, but I don't know why he's had such a tone referring to Japan. Doesn't help that there have been a number of comments from others that say things such as Kyoto having " poor public transport", which is a bit odd - I've been there and used it and had no problems.

Perhaps I should do my own blog when I travel through Japan in July/August. I have a month there using various public transport.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #7522
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Point of view from an [stupid] western tourist, comparing with the western standards and western manners.

I visited once Nagoya, from the first minute without any type of map or smartphone with internet. Never lost.

Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #7523
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Point of view from an [stupid] western tourist, comparing with the western standards and western manners.

I visited once Nagoya, from the first minute without any type of map or smartphone with internet. Never lost.

The first time I visited Japan was pre-smartphone and I had nothing but my memory and all the operators maps to help me out that I collected as I travelled. It wasn't a problem at all for me either, so I honestly don't get his complaints there, especially in this day and age with everything at ones fingertips.

Like I said, he heaped praise on Australian and even some US systems, but has been quite derisive of Japanese - including calling the busway in Nagoya "a waste of money" based on using it off-peak on a Saturday.
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #7524
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

He could be more careful in his use of adjectives- he describes a Kintetsu station as "very primitive" (I assume he was referring to Kintetsu Komeno). First of all, the word primitive has a negative connotation, conjuring images of hunter gatherers digging for roots or Neanderthals clubbing their womenfolk. Also, what does he mean in the *transport* context by "primitive"? Without some well defined parameters it retains that aforementioned negative connotation.

Komeno in reality is a small but rather well known station to enthusiasts, whose layout and facilities are quite standard for Kintetsu, especially on the Nagoya Line. Basic, utilitarian, no-frills, or cost effective would be words I would use to describe it, and likely he, or his editor, if he had one for any published material, should have done so too.

I don't see any cannibal headhunters in this video

dimlys1994, Sr.Horn liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #7525
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Meanwhile in France... http://www.contrepoints.org/2016/04/...nde-nous-envie

Quote:
Cette SNCF que le monde nous envie comparée au modčle japonais
Publié le 29 avril 2016 dans Transports

La SNCF est-elle vraiment un modčle que les étrangers nous envient ? Une comparaison avec le train et le métro ŕ Tokyo laisse penser qu’en France, on peut mieux faire.
Old May 7th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #7526
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Translation, please?

This is an English thread.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #7527
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

I know, and for that reason I only posted only two lines. Google Translate is your friend

The article responds an editorial article from Les Échos that, if my French is not bad, says the railway system of France is better than Japanese.
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #7528
00Zy99

No, Google Translate is really NOT my friend-I can't get it to work.
Old May 7th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #7529
BlackArt-ist

Likes (Received): 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Translation, please?

This is an English thread.
This article is ironical about Olivier Pastré (a journalist & economist) stating the french rail network is something foreigners envy us. It depicts delayed trains and strikes as a rarities in Japan when they're regarded as usual annoyances passengers have to cope with in France. The author cites as proof that japanese rail companies are profusely apologizing for ten minutes delays when french ones are more or less like "deal with it " as it's a daily occurence.

Quote:
Many lines don't have more than 3/4 round trips per day and aren't electrified, suburban services are non-existent outside Paris and most of our conventional rail network is in a serious state of neglect. During the last decades, a policy completely dedicated to high speed rail (the "tout TGV") and the lack of investment have long been criticised. If there's something we have to be proud of, that's NOT the SNCF management.

Sr.Horn, dimlys1994 liked this post
BlackArt-ist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #7530
00Zy99

At least your lines have passenger service at all.
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #7531
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

...as a once resident of both Osaka and Nagoya, and now of course Yokohama, this guy gets under my skin.

Nagoya's subway simply doesn't need more than a 10 minute headway on certain lines during weekends because most PeopleSoft have cars or aren't heading into Sakae/Meieki that often.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #7532
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New trough-service on Fukui-Echizen tramway

Coinciding with the timetable revision of March 26, through services between the Fukubu Line operated by Fukui Railway and Mikuni Arawa Line (Echizen) began. This is possible with the new connection at Tawaramachi station, which has recently been refurbished.

Station surroundings:

Cab view from Sekijujimae to WashizukaHaribara

The whole trip is a mixture of urban and interurban services through rice fields. There is one express train per hour in each direction (then each company independently has more trains).

All Fukui Railway facilities have been converted to use low-floor trams. The renovation began in 2006.

Sources:
http://www.echizen-tetudo.co.jp/rail...fukutetsu.html
http://www.echizen-tetudo.co.jp/rail...ble_160327.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukui_Railway_Fukubu_Line
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikuni_Awara_Line

As for Fukui Tram System, here the German streetcars of Fukui:

Old May 8th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #7533
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Maya Station

Since March 26 Kobe has a new commuter station: Maya Station on JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line).

Functional station, which serves the neighbors to either side of the tracks, and with the usual design of refurbished/new stations of JR West in the recent years.

Maya station opened on March 26 coinciding with the timetable revision.

The new Maya station is served by the JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line). It is located between Rokkomichi and Nada, 27.3 km from Osaka. Stops only "local" trains at this station with central platform.

There are approximately eight trains per hour to Kobe and Osaka.

While only stops 7-car "Local" trains, it is planned to have longer platforms for rapid 12-car trains if the company decides to make stop in the future.

Maya station occupies the terrains of an old rail yard, some areas still need to urbanize.

JR West sells this station as "eco-friendly" because it uses electricity from the regenerative brakes.

Concourse.

South Exit, it has three "branches", one with escalators up and down. On the other side an elevator, and finally a little more hidden, normal stairs.

North Exit with normal stairs and escalators. Also an elevator.

The main exit is the north side with a station plaza.

Bicycle parking.

Looking mount Maya.

16,000 passengers a day are expected to use this station. In the vicinity are several residential projects.

Source: http://koberun.blog56.fc2.com/blog-entry-1016.html
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #7534
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
New Randen station: Satsueisho-mae

Keifuku Electric Railroad owner of the Kyoto tramway or Randen, inaugurated on April 1st the new Satsueisho-mae station on the Kitano Line (3.8 km). The new station connects with the JR Uzumasa station and serves the Toei cinema studio park. The code is B-01.

Source: http://randen.keifuku.co.jp/en/index.html / http://response.jp/article/2016/04/01/272636.html
wow to be honest, the station looks really neat tho, I mean its not so big but just a perfect size

Quote:
New Sanyō 6000 series

Today Sanyō Electric Railway presented its new electric multiple unit, the 6000 series made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The train will enter in service next 17 of April on the main line between Akashi and Sanyo-Himeji.

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/04/13/449/
ahhhh so how many cars and train sets actually Sanyo brought?

Quote:
New Maya Station

Since March 26 Kobe has a new commuter station: Maya Station on JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line).

Functional station, which serves the neighbors to either side of the tracks, and with the usual design of refurbished/new stations of JR West in the recent years.

Maya station opened on March 26 coinciding with the timetable revision.

The new Maya station is served by the JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line). It is located between Rokkomichi and Nada, 27.3 km from Osaka. Stops only "local" trains at this station with central platform.

There are approximately eight trains per hour to Kobe and Osaka.

While only stops 7-car "Local" trains, it is planned to have longer platforms for rapid 12-car trains if the company decides to make stop in the future.

Maya station occupies the terrains of an old rail yard, some areas still need to urbanize.

JR West sells this station as "eco-friendly" because it uses electricity from the regenerative brakes.

16,000 passengers a day are expected to use this station. In the vicinity are several residential projects.

Source: http://koberun.blog56.fc2.com/blog-entry-1016.html
congratulations for the Maya station opening! Its looks pretty simple and of course they sells it as 'eco-friendly' station right and the target for Maya station in the future can accommodate 16,000 pax / day so how about current passanger per day after opening any number given yet?

AlexisMD liked this post
emyrr3096 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #7535
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

http://schwandl.blogspot.se/2016/05/...o-part-23.html

Apparently the Minatomirai line is just an extension of the Tokyu Toyoko line. Someone didn't do their research - never mind the fact that through running only started in 2013...

Honestly don't know why he came to Japan either calling everything "pathetic" (like this station for example which he described as pathetic) or complaining that things are not done as they are elsewhere.

First time I've EVER seen anyone use Slussen as an example of a station that should be emulated for the Yokohama subway for cross-platform interchanges between the green and blue lines.
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #7536
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Honestly don't know why he came to Japan either calling everything "pathetic" (like this station for example which he described as pathetic) or complaining that things are not done as they are elsewhere.
In his defense, he is likely not a native English speaker. Perhaps the similar term in German has different connotations.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #7537
00Zy99

And in that particular case, he is not referring to the station itself, but the building it is attached to, which in this case is indeed very banal and drab. It looks like a low-class office/commercial/light industrial building as seen in many, many Japanese cities.

The platform area itself is quite nice, but the building really could use a re-doing.

Given the effort that most railways in Japan put into their stations, especially important ones like this, it actually is sort of pathetic, to be honest. I wouldn't actually call it that in a review, however.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #7538
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The building is the station. I have been there myself. It is perfectly okay. Yes it is utilitarian, but it is clean and functional. Given he praised Slussen, a urine-soaked 1950s graffitied hell with concrete cancer I cannot help but bridle at his tarring or stations as pathetic.

Last edited by Svartmetall; May 11th, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #7539
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Yes, even if the stations are not pretty (the monorail, by the way, is a private venture so the companies rightfully deemed it unnecessary to prettify it as it doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to the bottom line), they are utilitarian, don't have graffiti, don't stink of urine or have shit-clogged escalators, don't have drug users in the toilets (which are also universally available, free and the newest ones have bidets!), and you won't get mugged, stabbed, or be apprehended (either by thugs or "security staff") for taking pictures of trains

loefet liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #7540
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Interior and exterior station shots from my wife (May 2015). The platform view is already quite good on Wikipedia, but here is how the building looks to the average user.

By contrast, here is a video of Slussen that I took back at a similar time in fact. This is why I say no one should praise slussen or ever, in a civilised conversation use it as an example of anything beyond "decay at the heart of one of Europe's most beautiful cities". This is why I say his tone seems particularly harsh towards Japan. He gave areas and stations like this a free pass in his review of Stockholm.