daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #7561
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
This guy makes books about subways and sells them for money. Therefore if I can find basic information about systems then he clearly should.
THIS.

If I were setting out to write a coffee table book on Japan's railroads, spending the large sums of money to tour the country to ride them, and collaborating with a fellow enthusiast, I would surely go the extra mile and do some objective research as well, just to satisfy my own curiosity. It's not that difficult to reach out to the different rail companies here and get them to give some info as well-- I did this with Tokyu Corp all the time when the Toyoko Line was being undergrounded in Shibuya, and continue to do so with the new Sotetsu Link (Expect updates soon BTW). I did most of this asking around in English and in almost every case, they were ecstatic that someone not Japanese was interested in their infrastructure.

I don't mind anyone having an opinion about anything, but do some homework first! For example, I agree with some of what he said about certain systems being "too utilitarian in design" when compared to their Taiwanese and Singaporean counterparts, but then again I visited those places, talked to people from the Taipei MRT and Singapore's LTA, so I understand their points. I also understand that these systems are only 30 years old at most and many of Japan's systems are triple that age or more. He compares apples to oranges in many cases.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #7562
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I personally find it hard to do research or understand anything about an area's transportation system until I've been there. I have tried reading about Moscow's metro and transportation systems, or Barcelona, or Hong Kong, etc, but never having been there and experienced it first hand, I somehow find it hard to relate to written material alone. I am even quite familiar with Japan, having spent over a year of my life there, and yet never having really toured Osaka, I find that reading about its subways and rail lines just doesn't quite "click".

Having spent time in London, Tokyo, Stockholm, New York, Chicago, and Seoul, for example, I can much more readily understand how the components of the transport system relate to each other, and how the system relates to the city as a whole, and how the people view and use it. For Tokyo, even though I've never ridden on Keio, Seibu, or Tobu lines, I have ridden on Tokyu, Keisei, and Keikyu so I feel like I have a pretty good concept of how the through routing works so reading about it makes sense to me, and I can say for sure I wouldn't have had much hope of understanding it without experiencing it first hand. I know the basic geographic landmarks of the city so I can understand how the different metro lines, suburban networks, and JR lines relate to each other, and I can use information I read online afterwards to fill in the holes in the mental framework I have in my mind of Tokyo. But if I haven't been there, there is no mental framework, so somehow I have difficulty even beginning to comprehend it, and it would be tough to even know where to begin my research.

So, if I were going to write a book about trains in Osaka, or Moscow, Barcelona, Hong Kong, or some other place I've never been, my first step would be to go there, to get the lay of the land and a feel for the system. Only after visiting the place, would I be able to really start to piece it all together to create a coherent "model" in my mind of how it all works together.

There are certainly a few flippant comments in his blog posts about stations being "pathetic" or such, but you'll find some of that in nearly all of his blog posts about international rail systems. Nothing really that makes me think he's singling out Japan for particular derision. Think of this as an informal trip diary, not a carefully researched textbook. This is his blog, not his published book.

fieldsofdreams, wansnacker liked this post
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #7563
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
In which case, Japanese railfans should of course be equally as familiar with Chinese/Korean systems, right? No, sorry I don't buy that one. If you're a fan of railways, as I am, one tends to find out as much as possible about every system, not just ones that belong to countries of your race... Never understood the obsession of the Chinese in particular in viewing "westerners" as a large homogeneous blob.
So your telling me you have a perfectly EVEN knowledge of every system in the world. Somehow I doubt it. Race in not the point, I don't know why you are putting so much weight to that statement. I could have used another country, ethic group, geosocial construct, whatever to prove my point. What I am arguing is that proximity and intensity of cultural exchange leads to familiarity. Yes, Japanese railfans are more familiar of Chinese/Korean systems, it is simply easier and cheaper for the Japanese to travel to South Korea, HK and Taiwan than North America or Europe. So it is not surprising that they tend to go those places. Also the fact that Chinese and Japanese have somewhat interchangeable Kanji/Hanzi characters really helps with information exchange and research. So I really don't buy your argument that everyone is as equitable on research of systems as you believe yourself to be.

Familiarity to global subway systems is like a mental map of your neighborhood and places you frequent. For example, if you live in Saitama you obviously know the major roads and many of the local side streets in your area and you might have spots of familiarity in Shinjuku and Odaiba because you go there for work and leisure. Your knowledge thins out the farther away from these places you go. So I would not be surprised if you don't know very much about Yokosaka or Chiba if you don't have any work or leisure there. Does that make you anti-Chiba or Anti-Yokosaka? No. Does that mean you are bad at directions? No. Does that mean you don't live in Greater Tokyo? Of course not. Same for rail fanning, people usually start out with learning the system in the city they live in and branch out from there. That doesn't make them racist or reigionalist. Also it doesn't make them any lesser than other railfans.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #7564
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Well, the Sapporo report is out. It's ok, then again, I'm not a fan of rubber tyred systems, maybe criticism doesn't hit a nerve with me here. LOL though at his description of the art designs on the subway walls- "lovely, though repetitive motifs"- I guess he would say the same thing about wallpaper too

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; May 13th, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #7565
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Well. I can see we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I certainly don't buy the excuses made for his posts but perhaps he just simply has not enjoyed Japan so much and that I guess is fair enough. Personal preference and all. Just wish he would be equally as critical about the state of stations in cities like Stockholm and Melbourne rather than giving them a free ride just because he liked them as cities.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #7566
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3945

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
There are certainly a few flippant comments in his blog posts about stations being "pathetic" or such, but you'll find some of that in nearly all of his blog posts about international rail systems. Nothing really that makes me think he's singling out Japan for particular derision. Think of this as an informal trip diary, not a carefully researched textbook. This is his blog, not his published book.
That's the point. He also tends to be critical with the Barcelona metro system, despite he lived there for a long time. I just think it's his way of expressing his opinions, not that he's biased against Japan!

For instance, you can check his report about newly-opened L9 metro line in Barcelona, written last February:

http://schwandl.blogspot.com.es/2016...ine-l9sud.html

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #7567
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line new 13000 series:

Ayokoi
Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:52 AM   #7568
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Any news about new things? Especially rail transport related projects for the upcoming Olympics?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #7569
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Consider the new trains for Osaka :

JR West 323 Series

Tetsudo Shimbun Twitter published few minutes ago the first pictures of the press visit to the new JR West 323 Series for the Osaka Loop Line:

https://twitter.com/tetsudoshimbun
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #7570
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

From inside:

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/topic/entry-755.html

dimlys1994, mojimaro liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #7571
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Ichibata Electric Railway, a short rail line that operates in the Izumo-Matsue area of Shimane Prefecture, announced they will build (for the first time in 86 years) an all-new EMU for its system.

Called the DeHa 7000 Series EMU, the single-car railcar has a passenger capacity of 129 people. Two railcars will be built, though (in my opinion!) given the age of Ichibata's used railcar fleet, I can envision a production run of as many as six railcars.

Here is a concept picture of what the DeHa 7000 will look like:

Here is the information from Ichibata's web site:

http://www.ichibata.co.jp/railway/to.../post-352.html

dimlys1994, Sr.Horn, starrwulfe, Shimanto liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #7572
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

9000 series refurbishment

The early sets (01 to 08) are scheduled to undergo a program of refurbishment from 2016, with the first treated sets returning to service from August 2016. Internally, the transverse seating bays at the ends of cars will be replaced by longitudinal bench seats, and wheelchair spaces will be added to one end of each car. They added a pair of 17'' screen above each door. Externally, the refurbished sets will receive a revised livery with wavy turquoise and white stripes at waist height and shoulder height to make the line color more visible at stations with platform edge doors.

The Tokyo Metro 9000 series is an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by Tokyo Metro on the Namboku Line in Tokyo, since 1991.

Current trains:

1 to 4 batch (1991 ~ 2000)

5 batch (2009)

Source:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/08/07/100/
http://www.train-media.net/report/1511/metro.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_9000_series
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #7573
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #7574
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
9000 series refurbishment

The early sets (01 to 08) are scheduled to undergo a program of refurbishment from 2016, with the first treated sets returning to service from August 2016. Internally, the transverse seating bays at the ends of cars will be replaced by longitudinal bench seats, and wheelchair spaces will be added to one end of each car. They added a pair of 17'' screen above each door. Externally, the refurbished sets will receive a revised livery with wavy turquoise and white stripes at waist height and shoulder height to make the line color more visible at stations with platform edge doors.

The Tokyo Metro 9000 series is an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by Tokyo Metro on the Namboku Line in Tokyo, since 1991.

Current trains:

1 to 4 batch (1991 ~ 2000)

5 batch (2009)

Source:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/08/07/100/
http://www.train-media.net/report/1511/metro.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_9000_series
Also note that the exterior destination signs have changed from 3 color LED to full color LED now as well.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #7575
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

The Osaka loop line, I think, is the line that most needs the rolling stock replacement out of all the lines I've been on this trip. A shame they have gone for the three door option, though as it gets very crowded at times and I cannot help but feel that four doors would have been better for it.
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #7576
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

IIRC they chose to have only 3 doors in order to line up with the other suburban stock on the Osaka Loop Line, so that PED installation can be done.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #7577
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Hm a bit shortsighted in my opinion given the strong rebranding and clearly improved nature of the loop line since I last used it back in 2010. The station refurbish looks great also - love the black used actually.
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #7578
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

I think they would rather just replace the locals on the Loop Line rather than all the 211 and 213 series that come in from the Kansai Main Line and other places.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #7579
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I believe JR West chose the three-door per car design because unlike the JR East Yamanote Line, the JR West Osaka Loop Line generally has a lot less passengers getting on and off the train with the exception of Osaka and Tennoji Stations. Also, Svartmetall is correct: it allows the use of fixed platform doors so the platform doors match the spacing of the doors the 221, 223 and 225 Series EMU's that travel on part of this line.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:50 AM   #7580
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I believe JR West chose the three-door per car design because unlike the JR East Yamanote Line, the JR West Osaka Loop Line generally has a lot less passengers getting on and off the train with the exception of Osaka and Tennoji Stations. Also, Svartmetall is correct: it allows the use of fixed platform doors so the platform doors match the spacing of the doors the 221, 223 and 225 Series EMU's that travel on part of this line.
Having used it quite a lot recently, it seemed very heavily used at different portions - not just the Osaka-Tennoji sections but other stations too. Certainly most of the route is standing room with a few chances for sitting, but perhaps we were just unlucky with when we were taking it. Purely anecdotal of course.