daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2016, 07:15 AM   #7581
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

I concur, but 3 door operation is the norm in western Japan, even with the private lines.
starrwulfe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:44 PM   #7582
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I believe that on the Osaka Loop Line, the busiest stations are Osaka and Tennoji, mostly because you can connect to many other train services from these stations. I've seen videos of people getting on and off trains on the Osaka Loop Line at Osaka Station during commute hours and they're nowhere as busy as you see on the trains in the Tokyo area (the scenes of people trying to squeeze into trains on the Tokyu Den-en-Toshi Line and JR East Saikyo Line during commute hours are just mind-boggling).
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #7583
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

JR East and J-TREC will have a booth at InnoTrans 2016 in Berlin, September 20–23
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160907.pdf

The booth will introduce JR East Group’s full range of expertise, including rolling stock production and railway operations and maintenance, as well as information on the railway’s newest rolling stock (E235 series, hybrid-power trains) targeted at potential clients and railway operators. The booth will also introduce the latest in condition-based maintenance (CBM) (状態監視保全), which began with the railway’s new E235 series stock for the Yamanote Line. CBM is a new approach to maintenance of rolling stock and infrastructure that performs maintenance based on the actual condition of the equipment, as opposed to the current standard approach based on regular cycles calculated from running mileage or time.

Some scenes from the MTIJ 2015:

New integrated glass platform door and gap filler system from Kyōsan, with redesigned emergency egress and LED displays:

MHI’s exhibit on their AGT technology, including thin, lightweight double-skin aluminum alloy body; semi-high-back bucket seating; and new bogie design.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #7584
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

I am so happy to see a post from you. Welcome back!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #7585
quashlo

Elevation of Echizen Railway near Fukui Station on track for completion before summer 2018
http://www.fukuishimbun.co.jp/localn...ay/102909.html

Work is proceeding apace in central Fukui City on the columns supporting the future Echizen Railway (Echitetsu) elevated approach into Fukui Station, and work on the beams to support the trackbed will begin this fiscal year, with completion scheduled by summer 2018 in time for the National Sports Festival of Japan (国民体育大会) to be held in Fukui. Currently, Echitetsu trains are running on a portion of the Shinkansen viaduct, but trains will be shifted to the new Echitetsu viaduct once it is completed. Intersecting roads underneath the tracks will then be improved by the end of FY2018, marking completion of the Fukui Station Continuous Grade-Separation Project (福井駅付近連続立体交差事業), which began in FY1991.

About 3 km of the Echitetsu network (2.3 km of the Katsuyama–Eiheiji Line and 0.7 km of the Mikuni–Awara Line) will be elevated to the east of the completed viaduct carrying JR Hokuriku Line and Hokuriku Shinkansen trains. Construction has been broken into six different segments to improve work efficiency and avoid disruptions to the scheduled opening of the Shinkansen’s extension to Tsuruga in late FY2022.

Work on the project kicked into full gear in April, including drilling approx. 400 foundation piles, followed by gradual construction of the columns. Near Echitetsu’s headquarters, work on the aerial structure at the junction of the Katsuyama–Eiheiji Line and Mikuni–Awara Line is now underway, and placement of some beams has already begun.

Beams across all of the construction segments will be connected this fiscal year, and work on laying sleepers and rails and stringing catenary will begin starting next fiscal year. Work will also proceed on the new elevated Shin-Fukui and Fukui-guchi Stations, as well as the new Fukui Station building, which will feature an all-glass exterior on its east elevation. The new elevated tracks and stations will enter service in summer 2018, after which the approximately 200 m long approach and columns temporarily providing Echitetsu trains with access to the Shinkansen approach into the station will be demolished.

The Hōei (宝永) grade crossing underneath the Shinkansen’s Fukui Station has already been eliminated, with the remaining Kiyokawa (清川) grade crossing to be eliminated when the new viaduct is complete. A total of 14 new grade-separated connections in the form of roadways or pedestrian-only paths will be constructed underneath the viaduct.

Progress on the entire continuous grade-separation project, which includes the elevation of 3.3 km of the JR Hokuriku Line completed in April 2005, is on-track at about 84% based on the amount of the total project budget of ¥68.3 billion that had been burnt as of the end of August.

Aerial footage taken from a drone (Fukui Shimbun):

Tour of the current setup where Echitetsu trains use the completed Shinkansen viaduct before the start of Shinkansen service… This is a fairly unusual arrangement that hasn’t been since 1963, when Hankyū Kyōto Line trains used portions of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen viaduct between Kanmaki and Ōyamazaki. Can also see the unusual in-station crossing (構内踏切) at Shin-Fukui Station, where the inside (outbound) platform doesn’t have direct access to the station headhouse… Usually you only see these types of crossings at at-grade stations, so this is quite unusual.

dimlys1994, loefet, Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #7586
quashlo

Fukui Prefecture to study a central-city loop for Fukui Railway
http://www.fukuishimbun.co.jp/localn...ay/104199.html

Fukui Prefecture will commission a feasibility study of an extension of the Fukui Railway’s Fukui Station branch—nicknamed, the “Whisker Line” (ヒゲ線)—to complete a loop around central Fukui City. Improvements to the Fukui Station branch were completed this spring, bringing Fukui Railway trains directly into the West Exit plaza at JR Fukui Station. The study will help determine how to make best use of the railway to achieve the goal of sustainable development in one of Japan’s most car-dependent prefectures.

Studying the benefits of a central-city loop was included in Fukui Prefecture’s Action Program for Implementing a Rapid Transportation System (高速交通開通アクション・プログラム) as a strategy targeted for completion before the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen’s extension to Tsuruga. A total of ¥3 million was earmarked for the study in the prefecture’s September revised budget.

The extended “Whisker Line” opened on March 27, extending the Fukui Railway route 143 m along Ekimae Densha-dōri (駅前電車通り) from the previous terminal near Yours Hotel Wakui (ユアーズホテルフクイ) to a new terminal at the West Exit plaza of JR Fukui Station. A new stop was constructed at the station, vastly improving the convenience of making connections. The study, scheduled for completion by the end of the fiscal year, will evaluate a variety of topics, including the most effective alignments to extend the branch line and create a loop; roadway conditions; the type of rolling stock capable of making smooth turns at the intersections; project cost; ridership projections; and other issues.

Despite being similar to Fukui Prefecture with one of Japan’s most car-dependent lifestyles, Toyama City was able to construct a new 900 m alignment in the center of the city, completing a tram loop for use by the Toyama Chihō Railroad (Toyama Chitetsu) through a public–private partnership where the infrastructure was built with public funding but the service is privately operated. By connecting into existing tram tracks, Toyama Chitetsu was able to operate a 3.4 km loop through the city starting in December 2009. Sapporo also recently completed a loop for its tram system in December of last year.

In terms of benefits, the line would increase opportunities for social interaction among the elderly who are unable to drive, reducing costs associated with social security; improve circulation transportation options from the suburbs to the city center and through the city center; create vibrant urban neighborhoods; and help prevent global warming.

Scenes on the Fukui Station branch extension. Can see the historic German narrow-body tram with old-school diamond pantographs in regular service. Good to see some of the transit systems in smaller cities getting some love and attention now…

Cab view from Tawaramachi to Fukui Station. Can see the condition of the trackway, like in many other smaller tram systems in Japan, is not so good, but it looks like they’ve been repaving some of the rougher cobblestone sections with asphalt. Towards the end, can also get a good feeling for the single-track center-running on the “Whisker Line”… The plaza area really looks great.

Old September 11th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #7587
quashlo

Kumamoto City narrows tram extension alternatives to two options
http://kumanichi.com/news/local/main/20160910003.xhtml

Kumamoto City has narrowed the highest-priority alternatives for extending the city’s tram system to two options: the Jieitai (JSDF) (自衛隊) route between the Kengunmachi (健軍町) tram stop and Airport Road No. 2 (第二空港線) in Higashi Ward and the Minami-Kumamoto route between the Karashimachō (辛島町) tram stop and JR Minami-Kumamoto Station. The city will begin detailed alternatives analysis in October, eventually narrowing the extension to one option next fiscal year.

In December 2015, the city identified five potential options for extending the tram network and has been evaluating each in terms of population served, road widths, nearby destinations and facilities, estimated project cost, and operating revenues and costs. Both the JSDF route and the Minami-Kumamoto route can be achieved without widening roadways and can be expected to attract significant ridership.

The JSDF route would extend about 1.5 km, serving Kumamoto Prefecture Senior High School No. 2 (熊本県立第二高校) and the Kumamoto East Tax Collector’s Office (熊本東税務署). The route also passes by the planned relocation site for the City Hospital (市民病院), scheduled to open in FY2018. The 1.7-km Minami-Kumamoto route is located near several medical and retail facilities.

The other three alternatives selected in the first round of evaluation included the Industrial Road (産業道路) route between Kuhonji Kōsaten (九品寺交差点) tram stop and Nagamine Elementary School (熊本市立長嶺小学校), 6.5 km; the Tasaki (田崎) route between Tasakibashi (田崎橋) tram stop and Tasaki Market (田崎市場), 1.3 km; and the Nuyamazu (沼山津) route from Kengunmachi tram stop along the Kumamoto–Takamori prefectural route (県道熊本高森線), 2.3 km. After considering the projected ridership, the city revised the proposed length of some of these alternatives.

Reconstruction costs in the aftermath of the Kumamoto earthquake have increased, but city staff say that the three other extension alternatives have not completely disappeared from consideration.

Definitely appreciated Kumamoto’s system when I last visited Japan several years ago… Kyūshū is lucky to have retained three good tram networks in Kumamoto, Kagoshima, and Nagasaki, but it did lose the Nishitetsu network in Kita-Kyūshū within the past few decades.

A tour of Kumamoto’s system, including recent improvements such as the improved connection with JR at Shin-Suizenji Station, the side-running alignment between JR Kumamoto Station and Tasakibashi, and trackway greening:

dimlys1994, loefet, Svartmetall, Yak79, Equario liked this post
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #7588
quashlo

First new trains for Ichibata Electric Railway in 86 years
http://www.sankei.com/west/news/1608...190054-n1.html

On August 19, Ichibata Electric Railway, affectionately known as the “Bataden”, invited reporters to see its new 7000 series rolling stock at JR West’s Gotō Yard (後藤総合車両所) in Yonago City. The new one-car train will enter service in December, and is the first all-new stock in 86 years for Bataden, which has traditionally relied on secondhand cars retired from service in larger cities.

The new car has capacity for 129 passengers and features a mix of box and longitudinal seating, with about 20 more seats per car than their current trains. The stainless steel exterior of the car is currently unfinished, but will be covered with special wrapping. Another 1-car train will enter service by March of next year.

The Bataden operates a 42-km network connecting Matsue City and Izumo City, including a branch serving the famous Izumo Taisha (出雲大社) shrine. With ridership struggling, however, Shimane Prefecture and both city governments formed a special committee to help support the railway, including providing funding for the new trains, which cost ¥210 billion per car.

Bataden’s last new trains were the Deniha 50 series (デハニ50形), which was introduced in 1930 and retired from revenue service in 2009. The new trains are designed and manufactured by Goto Industry (GKK) (後藤工業), a JR West Group company located in Tottori Prefecture’s Yonago City. The new trains consume 50% less energy than Bataden’s current stock thanks to new technology such as regenerative braking and other features.

Smaller railways like Bataden are some of the last places to see older commuter sets that used to run in Kantō and Kansai, but the recent trend for these railways has been to purchase all-new sets instead of going with secondhand units.
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #7589
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post

Tour of the current setup where Echitetsu trains use the completed Shinkansen viaduct before the start of Shinkansen service… This is a fairly unusual arrangement that hasn’t been since 1963, when Hankyū Kyōto Line trains used portions of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen viaduct between Kanmaki and Ōyamazaki. Can also see the unusual in-station crossing (構内踏切) at Shin-Fukui Station, where the inside (outbound) platform doesn’t have direct access to the station headhouse… Usually you only see these types of crossings at at-grade stations, so this is quite unusual.
Interesting. So when the time comes to start Shinkansen service, they just rip out all the temporary platforms and all, regauge the track (if needed) and install the Shinkansen signaling system?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #7590
quashlo

Yeah, that's the basic principle. That's probably why the trackbed is all ballast at the moment... They'll probably convert it and install slab track before the Shinkansen opens.
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #7591
Jekmo

Likes (Received): 0

Elevataed stations integrated in buildings - Need help examples

Hi

I'm looking for examples with elevated stations which is integrated in buildings.
I have one example with Kokura station, but I hope you can help me find more?
Btw it does not necessarily be in Japan only.

Thanks
Jekmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #7592
Heavenly Field

Likes (Received): 90

Too much of a continuum in what you're seeking, but I would assume that Ginza Line Shibuya Station and Tobu Asakusa Station fit the bill. Don't know what you would think of Tobu Ikebukuro Station, and I assume Tokyu Ikegami Line Gotanda Station is out. Shonan Monorail Enoshima Station? There are a lot depending on how loosely you want to define this.
Heavenly Field no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #7593
Jekmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Field View Post
Too much of a continuum in what you're seeking, but I would assume that Ginza Line Shibuya Station and Tobu Asakusa Station fit the bill. Don't know what you would think of Tobu Ikebukuro Station, and I assume Tokyu Ikegami Line Gotanda Station is out. Shonan Monorail Enoshima Station? There are a lot depending on how loosely you want to define this.
Sorry for not being precise.

However, I'm mainly thinking of examples where the construction of both the elevated station and a building (for intance an office building or a mall) is done as one construction. Thereby the station is integrated in the building and the rails go through the building. Does that help?

Another example could be Knight Center Station in Miami. Unfortunately I can't post links or pictures on this site yet, so you have to google it.
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #7594
Heavenly Field

Likes (Received): 90

Nah, I saw your post from the other thread, but I still don't know what you want. Aren't you seeking examples of integrated station/retail/office spaces, or are you thinking in purely cosmetic terms? And aren't the examples of Ginza Line Shibuya and Tobu Asakusa Stations what you're looking for, and if not, why?
Heavenly Field no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #7595
Jekmo

I got the task from a supervisor where I work and his description of what he is looking for is just as bad as my description. However, I finally found some pictures from your examples that I can use. So thanks for pointing my in the right direction.
If you know of any current or future projects like your examples, then please let me know.

Thanks again!
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #7596
JaLooNz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan Times
Skyliner train tops 20 million passengers amid demand for swift travel to Narita

The number of rail passengers using Keisei Electric Railway Co.’s latest Skyliner route topped 20 million on Tuesday, after just over six years of service.

The train travels the 70 km from central Tokyo to Narita International Airport in Chiba Prefecture in as little as 36 minutes.

Keisei held a ceremony to mark the milestone at Narita Airport Terminal 1 Station. It offered a commemorative gift to the 20 millionth passenger.

The current, third-generation Skyliner train was launched in July 2010. It uses the Narita Sky Access Line, which has more straight sections than the line used by earlier Skyliners.

Traveling at a maximum speed of 160 kilometers per hour, the new Skyliner takes passengers to and from Narita in 36 to 44 minutes, although the journey is longer for travel at certain times of day.

It took three years and five months for the current Skyliner to see its passenger count top 10 million. After that, use increased steadily thanks to an increase in the number of planes using Narita and a surge in foreign tourists visiting to Japan.

japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/13/business/skyliner-train-tops-20-million-passengers-amid-demand-swift-travel-narita/
Some news on the Keisei Skyliner...
JaLooNz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #7597
quashlo

Improvements coming to Nakajō Station
http://mainichi.jp/auth/guide.php?ur...F020%2F113000c

Construction work to upgrade the headhouse at Nakajō (中条) Station in Tainai City (胎内市) on the JR Uetsu Line has begun. Previously, the station only had access from the east side of the tracks, but the upgrades will construct a new public walkway cutting east–west above the tracks, making it possible to access the station from the west side. The temporary headhouse will open in December, followed by demolition of the existing headhouse and construction of the new station building, with an opening scheduled for July 2018.

The station is primarily used by high school students who commute by train, with an average daily ridership of 2,428 passengers in FY2015. Currently, passengers arriving from the west side of the tracks need to detour to a grade crossing about 300 m away. The city coordinated with the railway on a construction plan to replace the headhouse, which was finalized in 2014. Groundbreaking was originally scheduled for FY2015, but was delayed by a year due to changes in the design and project costs.

The public walkway will measure about 85 m long by 5 m wide, and a tourist information center will be provided at the east exit of the station building. Total project cost is approx. ¥1.85 billion, of which the city will be responsible for about ¥1.73 billion. About 70% of the city’s share will come from special purpose municipal bonds (合併特例債). Separately, the city has also been working on improving roads and constructing a new station plaza at the future West Exit of the station since June 2015.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, ko7, Shimanto liked this post
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #7598
quashlo

Iimprovements to Takayama Station to open October 2
http://response.jp/article/2016/08/26/280686.html

JR Central will debut the new station building and public walkway at Takayama Station on the Takayama Main Line on October 2. The new station building is about 1,900 sq m, and is designed for universal access with one accessible elevator on each of the inbound and outbound platforms. There is also one escalator for each platform, as well as a multi-purpose restroom inside the paid area. The public walkway is 6 m wide by 120 m long, and connects the East Exit and West Exit of the station, with one accessible elevator and two escalators at each end. The public walkway will showcase local arts and crafts, featuring display pieces and exhibits relating to local festival floats.

East Exit

West Exit

Ticketing hall

Public walkway entrance

Public walkway

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, Shimanto liked this post
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #7599
quashlo

JR West will expand ICOCA coverage to San’in area
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/artic...page_9133.html

On August 24, JR West announced that it would extend ICOCA coverage to a new Matsue–Yonago–Hakubi zone as an extension of the farecard’s existing Okayama–Fukuyama zone some time this December. A total of 18 stations in the new zone will accept ICOCA, including the Hōki Daisen (伯耆大山) – Izumo-shi (出雲市) section of the San’in Main Line and several stations on the Hakubi Line. ICOCA commuter passes will also be offered on the San’in Main Line stations covered. Passengers traveling between the Okayama–Fukuyama and Matsue–Yonago–Hakubi zones will also be able to use ICOCA when taking Yakumo limited expresses, although they will still need to pay the separate limited express fare.

This would be the first automatic faregates in Tottori and Shimane Prefectures, leaving only Fukui (which would change with the Tsuruga extension of the Hokuriku Shinkansen), Tokushima, and Ehime as the three remaining prefectures without any automatic faregates.
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #7600
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quashlo is back?!?

Quashlo is back!? Quashlo is back!!! Welcome back! That makes my day.

starrwulfe, quashlo, Shimanto liked this post
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote