daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #7601
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Its made all of our months.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #7602
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Thanks guys... I can't guarantee the same frequency of posting as before, but will post when I can.

227 series Red Wing trains in the Hiroshima area began showing “Carp Boy” the day after the Carp clinched the Central League pennant on 2016.09.10. Cute, and definitely a creative way to take advantage of the full-color LED signs on the new trainsets.

dimlys1994 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #7603
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Upgrades coming to Fukui Railway’s Shiyakusho-mae Station
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/fu...402000022.html

Work will begin on renovations to Shiyakusho-mae Station on the Fukui Railway (Fukutetsu) Fukubu Line starting this fiscal year, making the station fully accessible and improving passenger safety. The existing inbound platform for Echizen Takefu (越前武生) will be moved to the north, allowing passengers to access the platform from street-level crosswalks.

Currently, the inbound and outbound platforms are in separate locations farside of the intersection. The outbound platform can be accessed by street-level crosswalks, but the inbound platform requires use an of underground passage. The upgrades are scheduled for completion before the 2018 National Sports Festival of Japan to be held in Fukui, and will mark the completion of upgrades to all the tram stops along Phoenix-dōri (フェニック ス通り).

According to Fukutetsu, some passengers avoid the pedestrian tunnel completely and simply cross at street level, sparking concerns about safety given the high volume of traffic along the street. Due to space constraints, there was no space to provide an elevator for universal access.

After relocation, the two platforms will be adjacent to each other, and feature ramps for accessibility. The width of the platforms will remain at 2 meters, but they will be extended 3 to 8 m to a lenfth of 48 m. The signaling equipment accompanying the inbound platform may be relocated inside the stairways down to the pedestrian tunnel. A temporary outbound platform will be constructed to the south of the current location to allow for renovation of the existing platform.

Project costs are not yet finalized, but Fukui Prefecture earmarked Ľ19 million for the project in its September revised budget. The cost will be split among the national government, Fukui Prefecture, and Fukui City. Detailed design will proceed this fiscal year simultaneously with filing for approvals with the national government. Construction will begin in FY2017 with completion expected within a year.

Scenes at Shiyakusho-mae, which is where the mainline is joined by the branch line to / from JR Fukui Station:

dimlys1994, Shimanto liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #7604
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Improvements to Takayama Station to open October 2
http://response.jp/article/2016/08/26/280686.html

JR Central will debut the new station building and public walkway at Takayama Station on the Takayama Main Line on October 2. The new station building is about 1,900 sq m, and is designed for universal access with one accessible elevator on each of the inbound and outbound platforms. There is also one escalator for each platform, as well as a multi-purpose restroom inside the paid area. The public walkway is 6 m wide by 120 m long, and connects the East Exit and West Exit of the station, with one accessible elevator and two escalators at each end. The public walkway will showcase local arts and crafts, featuring display pieces and exhibits relating to local festival floats.
Here few photos I took last week when I visited the area:

At the moment, the station concourse is a pre-fabricated structure, nothing special.

I think is an important work for Takayama. This is the main entrance in the area and the new station building looks really promising!

Heavenly Field, ko7, dimlys1994, quashlo, CP11 and 1 others liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #7605
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Are many of the tourist in Japan rude when uses the public transport? Well, after my last visit I think yes, especially in the biggest theme park of the nation: Kansai.

Quote:
Train conductor warned after apologizing for crowding due to 'many foreign passengers'

A Nankai Electric Railway Co. conductor was dealt a verbal warning after apologizing to Japanese passengers for crowding on a train heading to Kansai International Airport with a large number of foreigners, it has been learned.

The company said the male conductor, who is in his 40s, made the announcement on an express train bound for Kansai International Airport at around 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 10, a public holiday, after the train left Tengachaya Station.

"Today there are many foreign passengers aboard and it is very crowded, so we are inconveniencing Japanese passengers," the conductor was quoted as stating in the announcement.

After the train arrived at Kansai-Airport Station, a Japanese woman questioned a station attendant about the announcement, asking whether it was within the bounds of company rules.

When questioned by the company, the conductor was quoted as replying, "I heard a male Japanese passenger at Namba Station yelling, 'All these foreigners are a nuisance,' so I made the announcement to avert trouble. I had no intention of discriminating."

The company says it has received complaints in the past about the large pieces of luggage carried by foreign visitors, but the announcement made by the conductor was the first of its kind.

"Whether people are Japanese or non-Japanese, the fact remains that they are our passengers. Language that sets them apart is inappropriate," a company representative said.
Mainichi Shimbun

dimlys1994, Mischk, bill937ca liked this post
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #7606
DetlefHubert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

interesting
DetlefHubert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #7607
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Well. The option is to force Nankai to lower the price on the Rapid service. Currently the price differential is too great for people to want to take the premium service. I know I always avoid doing so (though I travel off-peak and not in a mass like the Chinese tour groups do).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #7608
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Yokohama Municipal Subway 3000V series

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-872.html

The Yokohama City Transportation Bureau announced recently the acquisition of new train sets for the Blue Line. New series will be the 3000V.

Externally there is not too much difference respect series A, N, R, and S. Inside, new 17'' LCD screens and LED lighting.

Also, the glasses on doors between cars will incorporate the skyline of main sightseeing spots of the city.

First six-car unit will enter in service in spring 2017.

Recently the Blue Line (the second longest subway line in Japan) has Rapid services.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, quashlo, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #7609
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/CnstOki.html

This is from The Monorail Society website, an update for the Okinawa Yui Rail Monorail extension being built in Naha.

Visit www.monorails.org for lots of great information on Monorails.
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #7610
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Apple Pay's support of JR East's Mobile Suica system goes into effect

East Japan Railroad's Suica contactless fare system has had a mobile variant for a long time, called "Mobile Suica". Up until now though, you had to have a made-for-Japan mobile phone to take advantage of it; the underlying technology developed by Sony called Felica is the forerunner of the now widespread, standardized tech known as NFC or Near Field Communications that underpins contactless financial transactions all over the globe now, and as such isn't compatible with phones like the iPhone, which never made a Japan-only variant. (Many Android phones like Samsung's Galaxy line however, have.)

That all changed early last month as Apple released the iPhone 7 and 7+ phones along with a redesigned Apple Watch; these new devices include the Felica chipsets along with their standard NFC chips as well. Apple then made deals with companies like Toyota Financial, JCB, American Express, MUFG Financial Group, and more to make sure their Passbook application would be compatible with their Apple Pay tech, in the same manner as in the USA, and places like Singapore, Canada and more already.

This marks the second time Apple will be partnering with a transport company to support fare payment in the Passbook app. (the first time was with Transport for London's Oyster scheme, but it uses NFC) This is a big deal on many levels because not only will the number one smartphone sold in Japan gain a feature that is on pretty much every other phone sold here (including flipphones!) but the manner the Mobile Suica app will work on an iPhone will also be different from how it operates elsewhere.

On other phones, Mobile Suica is an applet that is tied to the Osaifu-Keitai app. Because of how the app does its security checks, it is tied to both the phone and the SIM card of the user. If the SIM is changed, the app no longer works. Also the virtual Suica card is generated on that phone and is very difficult to transfer to another device. There is no way to take a physical card and store it's information onto the Mobile Suica app either. This means it's impossible to move an already paid for commuter pass into Mobile Suica.

The iPhone version of Mobile Suica eliminates all these hassles because of how the iPhone is made, and how iOS runs with Apple Pay and Passbook.

1. You can register your physical Suica card to the device. This transfers whatever stored fare and commuter passes on the card into the device. The physical card is useless now at this point, but at least you can now use that ¥500 deposit! If youa don't have one it's OK, just generate one in the app.

1a. Yes, you can move your info from the Android and flipphone variants too.

2. You can add value with an Apple Pay or Mobile Suica approved credit or debit card. The addition of Apple pay means support for way more cards now. I'm not sure if international cards are supported, but I'll update.

3. You can have more than one virtual Suica Card loaded in. Many people carry multiples because their jobs give out commuting money, they may need to travel for work, and they keep a private card. Now you can have more than one on the phone too.

The bigger news is probably the fact that this lets the iPhone and Apple Pay work with Japan's largest e-money network as well, since Mobile Suica is compatible with the IC-Card network which the majority of transit companies, stores and even vending machines accept nationwide.

Yep, you can also use Apple Watch Series 2 as well.

News Report on the debut.
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #7611
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Odakyu's new Romancecar 70000 Series

Odakyu Electric Railway presented this week the new Romancecar Limited Express to launch by 2018.

Photos: http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-879.html

Asahi

But there is more news. The company launch the refurbishment of the Odakyu 30000 series EXE. The first 4+6-car trainset treated returning to service in March 2017.

Refurbishment will be carried out by Nippon Sharyo, with the design overseen by Noriaki Okabe Architecture Network. It will include the following changes:

Redesigned interiors and seating.
Replacement of Japanese-style squat toilets with Western-style toilets.
Additional luggage racks.
Installation of security cameras in vestibule and passenger saloons.
Fully enclosed traction motors.

Source: http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/da...9_5668838_.pdf

30000, 50000 and 60000 series footage:

(crosspost)

dimlys1994, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post

Last edited by 00Zy99; October 27th, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #7612
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Please s-stop crossposting -_-
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #7613
00Zy99

Quote:
First pictures of the new Tobu 500 Series

The new trains are built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, with exterior and interior styling overseen by Japanese industrial designer Ken Okuyama.

In April 2016, Tobu announced that the trains would be used on through services between Asakusa in Tokyo and Aizu-Tajima in Fukushima Prefecture via the Yagan Railway and Aizu Railway Aizu Line from spring 2017.

Render:

The first images of the new train:

Source: http://ameblo.jp/hamidashi103/entry-12213222375.html

(crosspost)

dimlys1994, bill937ca liked this post
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #7614
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Please s-stop crossposting -_-
This isn't new; We usually cross post articles that cover multiple topics because there are many lurkers that only subscribe to just that topic.

pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #7615
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Adding NFC Type F support (which is what the Sony FeliCa system uses) is HUGE for the iPhone 7. Not only does it add the JR East Mobile Suica system, but it's likely this will make it possible to include support under Apple Pay for all the major IC payment card systems in Japan, including Pasmo (Tokyo transit besides JR East), ICOCA (JR West Keihanshin region), PiTaPa (Keihanshin region transit besides JR West), and retail payment systems such as Rakuten Edy and Seven and i's nanaco.

In short, people with iPhone 7's will be able to quick tap their way onto transit systems like they do now with Japanese-market garakei phones.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:03 AM   #7616
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Exactly! Up until now, Suica has been the only system to make a mobile app, but hopefully this will give them an incentive to add that to their apps; most transit companies already have apps in the App Store.

BTW, ID and QuicPay are already supported at launch, and Rakuten is supposedly looking at adding Edy to their app.
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #7617
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Of course when it is necessary. But is not the case (as is argued) and only serves to split the possible debate in multiple threads.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #7618
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:

Of course when it is necessary. But is not the case (as is argued) and only serves to split the possible debate in multiple threads.
This may take some work on behalf of the moderators (who I assume are volunteers), but perhaps there is a way to have the same thread categorized in multiple forums, so that the anglophone Shinkansen thread appears in the Japan Forum but also in the general international railway forum (where it would be called JAPAN | High-Speed Rail). But it would be the same thread once people click on it, no matter where they started.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #7619
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Now that's a good idea.

BTW, who mods these threads? I've been here for years and I still don't know.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #7620
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post

Now that's a good idea.

BTW, who mods these threads? I've been here for years and I still don't know.
Me and Dimlys.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote