daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #1601
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

No official cost has been released.
In an interview, the president of Keisei Electric Railway has quoted production cost at approx. ¥200 million per car, which gives ¥1.6 billion per trainset and ¥16 billion for the whole order.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1602
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Fantastic update, quashlo!

Definitely gonna try the SkyLiner next time from NRT
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #1603
Rick H

Likes (Received): 0

Do you know the status of the Keio Ry's underground project at Chofu station?

A search didn't turn up anything since your excellent post on page 47(?).
Rick H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1604
quashlo

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any significant recent news on the project either from news sources or the blogosphere.

May just have to wait until the next public tours of the tunneling work. It's kind of the same with the Odakyū project... They're both some of the largest and most complex railway projects currently underway in Tōkyō, but since most of the construction is underground, when looking from the outside / surface, there's really not much to "see" and therefore less interest perhaps.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #1605
Rick H

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any significant recent news on the project either from news sources or the blogosphere.

May just have to wait until the next public tours of the tunneling work. It's kind of the same with the Odakyū project... They're both some of the largest and most complex railway projects currently underway in Tōkyō, but since most of the construction is underground, when looking from the outside / surface, there's really not much to "see" and therefore less interest perhaps.
Thanks for checking. I expect to be in Tokyo next May so I hope the Keio work will be finished, but it's such a huge project I don't expect it will be.
Rick H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #1606
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
Thanks for checking. I expect to be in Tokyo next May so I hope the Keio work will be finished, but it's such a huge project I don't expect it will be.
i used to take the keio line almost everyday around the beginning of this year, and saw some material about it being a really really long project. i dont think it's even halfway finished. maybe 2015 or so?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1607
quashlo

Keiō Main Line / Sagamihara Line undergrounding surrounding Chōfu Station will be completed in 2012, together with Keikyū Main Line / Airport Line elevation and Tōkyū Tōyoko Line undergrounding / Fukutoshin Line through-service.

Looks like 2012 will be a pretty epic year.
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1608
Braillard
自由至上主義者

Likes (Received): 393

Quote:
I guess the latest route could be divided as follows:
  • Keisei Main Line: Keisei Ueno – Takasago (~13 km), same route as previous Skyliner
  • Hokusō Line: Takasago – Inba Nihon Idai (~32 km), new route for Skyliner using track already in use by an existing urban rail line
  • Narita Sky Access Line: Inba Nihon Idai – Narita Airport Terminal 2 (~18 km), new route for Skyliner using all-new track
  • Keisei Main Line: Narita Airport Terminal 2 – Narita Airport Terminal 1 (~1 km), same route as previous Skyliner
In reality, it's more complicated than this because of various track sharing arrangements with other railways, but for the average passenger, this is the basic breakdown for the new route.

So there's really only about 18 km of all-new track, some of which isn't even on a new route, but paralleling JR into / out of the airport. The rest of the route uses existing track, some of which has been upgraded from 120 kph to 130 kph for the new Skyliner.
What's the maximum speed on each sections of the route? They are always talking of 160 km/h but is this only true for the (part of?) the newly built section?
For example Hokuso line section has a max speed of 130km/h. In order to futher reduce the time to Narita, is there any way they could upgrade thoses sections to a higher speed? Like adding tracks...??

Thanks
Braillard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1609
quashlo

I believe maximum design speed is roughly as follows:
  • Narita Sky Access Line (Inba Nihon Idai – Narita Airport Terminal 1): 160 kph
  • Hokusō Line (Takasago – Inba Nihon Idai): 130 kph
  • Keisei Main Line (Keisei Ueno – Takasago): Not sure, but pretty slow.
Obviously, trains between Narita Airport Terminal 2 and Narita Airport Terminal 1 need not travel at 160 kph, and the western end of the Hokusō Line approaching Takasago is also slow. The section between Keisei Ueno and Takasago is excruciatingly slow, since there are just too many curves, grade changes, etc. that the train really can't pick up any substantial speed.

As for speed upgrades on the slower sections of track, it's always technically feasible—it's just a matter of cost. If they were to do it, the Hokusō Line would be easier, as it's a newer, generally straight alignment. They would probably just need some trackwork / electrical work maybe and they could be okay, with probably some more intensive track straightening in a few places.

Trying to upgrade the Keisei Main Line between Keisei Ueno and Takasago, however, would be more difficult, since it really wasn't built with speed in mind. Getting this to anything like 160 kph would probably require building an entirely new replacement line deep underground—not impossible, but highly unlikely, and definitely a "long-term" investment as part of a grade-separation project.

Honestly, I don't think they will be wanting to do much investment on these sections anymore, though. The next major step in improving access to Narita is the Asakusa Line Bypass between Oshiage and Sengakuji, which is already in planning. With Haneda becoming more and more an international airport, it's possible that Narita could be phased out as the major international airport for Tōkyō, which would negate the need for further investment in railway access.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM   #1610
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

the new Skyliner is just awesome
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1611
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I actually thought the interior of the Skyliner train looked plain or 'old'

I guess the rounded ceiling with no visible air vents/fans reminded me of an old 70st style airplane. I don't really know, but it struck me as old or retro.

I liked the interior look of the JR N'EX much better

The speed, service, and exterior look of the train is amazing.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1612
Asakaze

Likes (Received): 9

Is there a reason why Hankyu urges its passengers to turn off their cellphones in car no. 1 of each train?
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1613
quashlo

For reference for people who don't know what this is about:

image hosted on flickr

Source: kaneta on Flickr

This is a reaction to the possibility that mobile phones could generate enough energy to interfere with pacemakers and other implanted devices (see here).

I seem to recall that there is yet to be any specific case of a person with a pacemaker, defibrillator, etc. being affected by cell phones, but think of it a precautionary measure and a consideration for people with pacemakers, who may feel alarmed when someone whips out a cell phone next to them.

Similar measures are also in place on the following lines:
  • Ōsaka Municipal Subway Sakaisuji Line: Due to through-servicing with Hankyū, one end car
  • Nose Electric Railway: Due to connections with Hankyū, one end car
  • Kōbe Electric Railway: One end car
  • Yokohama New Transit Seaside Line: Even-numbered cars
Most of the above cases of specific cars being identified as "mobile off" cars are in the Kansai region. The Kantō region is a bit different, since the railway operators there have basically agreed to take a different approach, prohibiting use of mobile phones anywhere in the priority seating areas (usually the car ends). In one case (Yokohama Municipal Subway), all seats on the train are defined as priority seating, meaning mobile phones should be off anywhere in the train.

In fact, in 2000 Tōkyū Corporation had tried a "Kansai-style" approach, having all even-numbered cars as "mobile off" cars, but it was less effective because through-servicing operators (namely, Tōkyō metro) did not take the same measures. They eventually scrapped this in 2003 and now use the priority seating approach.

Kantō-style approach

Source: Wikipedia
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1614
Asakaze

Thank you for the explanation. Although I don`t think the concepts actually work. I`m commuting everyday on the JR Kobe Line, and usually you see someone sitting on a Priority Seat playing with his cellphone. During times when the trains are less crowded the conductor makes a trip through the train and talks to people using their phone while sitting on a priority seat, and in most cases they won`t even bother putting it down until the conductor is gone. Perhaps only a show, like this "JR and the police are now on a high alert"-thing.

I`d like to have the Kanto-triangles instead of the Kansai-rings to hold on.
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #1615
quashlo

Yes, the effectiveness of the measures is questionable. Mobile usage on trains in general is a tough question to answer, and I'm not sure there is a right or a wrong.

Many would consider things like mobile phone access in underground sections and being able to talk on the phone while on the move important. But there are also many who don't want to open this "Pandora's box" and have everyone around them sharing their conversations out loud. For me at least, I can definitely appreciate the relative quiet of Japanese trains, especially when trying to catch some extra naptime on the way to work or coming home after a long day on the job. There seems to be a general approach to "cater" to each of the passenger markets (e.g., women-only cars, "mobile off" cars), which I think is not bad, but they just need to enforce it better.

And agreed on the rings. I don't know why they even bother to make them this shape anymore... They're a poor design and very uncomfortable.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1616
ideal jb

Likes (Received): 7

Last edited by ideal jb; September 15th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
ideal jb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1617
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

yu have to upload the picture on some host server, like tinypic or other. It's not visible.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1618
Asakaze

Quote:
And agreed on the rings. I don't know why they even bother to make them this shape anymore... They're a poor design and very uncomfortable.
There are actually trains with triangles in Kansai. Was quite surprised myself, I missed the last train at Osaka-Namba and had to wait for the first one, a local for Amagasaki via the Hanshin Namba Line leaving at 5:03 a.m.
I wonder who gave the conductors at Kintetsu these weird hats of the french policemen?
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1619
quashlo

Mitsubishi, Kinki Sharyō, Toshiba receive rolling stock order for Cairo Metro
http://www.mitsubishicorp.com/jp/en/...000010933.html

Quote:
Mitsubishi Corporation, together with The Kinki Sharyo Co., Ltd. and Toshiba Corporation, has contracted with The National Authority for Tunnels, Ministry of Transport (NAT) to supply 88 cars (11 train sets) for the Cairo Metro. These cars will be delivered from 2012 to 2013 under two separate contracts.

On August 17th, a contract signing ceremony was held in Cairo, attended by His Excellency Dr. Ahmet Mahmoud Mohamed Nazif, the Prime Minister of the Arab Republic of Egypt, His Excellency Eng. Alaa Fahmy, Minister of Transport, Her Excellency Dr. Fayza Aboulnaga, Minister of International Cooperation and distinguished guests.

The contracts cover seven train sets (56 cars) for Cairo Metro Line 3 Phase 2 which is under construction by NAT, and an additional four train sets (32 cars) for Line 2 which is currently operational. The order for the additional 11 train sets (88 cars) follows an order for seven sets (56 cars) for Line 3 Phase 1 in November 2007.

The contractual scheme has Mitsubishi Corporation acting as main contractor, with Kinki Sharyo in charge of manufacturing car body and bogies, and Toshiba supplying electrical equipment. The assembly work for Line 3 Phase 2 will be carried out by an Egyptian rolling stock manufacturer.

Cairo has an urgent need to enhance public transportation. Migration to urban areas has brought chronic traffic congestion. Cairo Metro Lines 1 and 2 are currently among the world’s busiest public transportation systems, conveying some 2.5 million citizens per day to their destinations. Additional rolling stock has been ordered for Line 2 in order to meet rapidly growing transportation needs. Once completed, Line 3 will connect the western part of Cairo city to Cairo International Airport.

Mitsubishi Corporation, Kinki Sharyo and Toshiba have a strong presence in the rolling stock market in Egypt. Combined, they have delivered more than 1,400 railway cars over the past 40 years. The team’s strong reputation for reliability and state-of-the-art technologies helped it to secure these new contracts. Future plans for the Cairo Metro include the additions of Lines 4, 5 and 6.

Through active participation in infrastructure projects like this one, Mitsubishi Corporation, Kinki Sharyo and Toshiba are committed to helping Egypt realize a low-carbon society and economic growth.

Trains for Line 3

Trains for Line 2

Cairo Metro map
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1620
quashlo

JR Hakata City to open March 3, 2011
http://kyushu.yomiuri.co.jp/keizai/d...OYS1T00144.htm

Quote:
On September 9, it was revealed that JR Kyūshū is moving towards final plans to set the grand opening date of JR Hakata City (Fukuoka City), the new Hakata Station building currently under construction, for March 3 of next year. The grand opening of the full length of the Kagoshima route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen (Hakata – Kagoshima Chūō) is scheduled for March 12, and the railway aims to open the new station building beforehand to avoid the chaos of a simultaneous opening. Anchor tenant Hakata Hankyū department store is also expected to open on March 3.

JR Kyūshū executives have said that “the earlier they can open the building, the better for recouping investment,” initially aiming for an opening in late February. Because of issues with the construction schedule, however, the opening was pushed to March 3. Part of the reason is likely that the railway felt March 3 to be an auspicious day, and a good choice for the grand opening of a retail facility.

The new Hakata Station building stretches across ten aboveground floors and three underground floors, with a gross floor area of approx. 200,000 sq m. In addition to Hakata Hankyū, Tōkyū Hands, and a cinema complex, a collection of about 200 specialty retail shops including restaurants are scheduled to join the fray. According to the Kyūshū branch of the Development Bank of Japan, the entire station building’s first-year sales are projected to be around ¥130 billion.
Construction update (2010.07).
I hadn’t had a chance to check up on this project, so I was surprised to see that much of the exterior was already complete, together with the signs for all of the anchor tenants.

Source: moriblog on YouTube