daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1701
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Tōkyō Metro

Seeing double: 10000 series

Source: 東府中の住人 on http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/

Seeing double: 08 series

Source: Anonymous on http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/

Toei
Toei 10-300 series, recently converted from eight- to ten-car formations

Source: Mbk◆KShIwW3m9A on http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/

Toden Arakawa Line

Source: 旭区SF◆hRjkAF3M6M on http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1702
quashlo

Tōkyō railway photography

A series of photos from Chris Jongkind, one of the best chroniclers of Tōkyō’s urbanity I’ve ever seen. Thankfully, he likes taking pictures of trains, stations, and everything railway-related.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

More photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjongkind
http://www.tokyoform.com/
http://www.chrisjongkind.com/
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #1703
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Nice photos.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1704
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Very lovely shots of Tokyo's rail system.

Also, nice photos of Japan's various urban railways, quashlo.

And now for a random question: could the Sagami Railway (Soutetsu) also be considered as a sort of metro for the Yokohama area?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1705
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
And now for a random question: could the Sagami Railway (Soutetsu) also be considered as a sort of metro for the Yokohama area?
Yes, it could, as would other private railways serving urban areas in Japan. They share characteristics of metro systems (short spacing of stations, short headways, high density seating) with characteristics of suburban and/or mainline railways (local/express/ltd. express service levels, above ground running, interchange/running rights on other railways, extended routes to outer suburbs). Sotetsu serves as a "cross-country" (i.e. in relation to the longitudinal route of the Tokaido Line) route serving the western and southwestern suburbs of Yokohama as well as a link with Kanagawa suburban cities such as Ebina, Yamato, and Fujisawa.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1706
quashlo

EDIT: k.k.jetcar took care of it.

========================

For the most part, yes.
  • All eight- or ten-car trains (160-200 m)
  • Newest stock on the train is all longitudinal seating, although some of the older stock has some mixed transverse / longitudinal cars
  • Peak frequency is 27 tph (although the outer ends of the network have less frequent service)
Network frequencies (image modified by me):

Original image: Sōtetsu

In the future, it will through-service with JR and Tōkyū / Tōkyō Metro, serving central Tōkyō directly (currently, transfer is required to major radial networks like Odakyū, Tōkyū, Keikyū, or JR).
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1707
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

And do the Yokohama subway extensions and the new Kawasaki subway also serve to cross-link rail services in the entirety of Keihin (if that term is still even used anymore to describe the Tokyo-Kawasaki-Yokohama conurbation)?

Last edited by manrush; September 26th, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1708
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
And do the Yokohama subway extensions and the new Kawasaki subway also serve to cross-link rail services in the entirety of Keihin (if that term is still even used anymore to describe the Tokyo-Kawasaki-Yokohama conurbation)?
I am not sure about the Kawasaki system since it has not announced what kind of system they will adopt but the Yokohama subways will not since the blue line utilizes third rail and the green line is powered by magnetic propulsion.
Who knows Kawasaki may introduce HSST maglevs.(It makes sense since the tunneling cost will be much less then conventional wheel on rail systems.)
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #1709
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
A bit of a plug, but the Yokohama Municipal Subway extensions and Kawasaki Municipal Subway are all in my map. If you're talking about just regular interchanges / connections with existing radial lines, then yes, they will. If you're talking about direct through-service onto radial lines, then SamuraiBlue is right, no.

The Blue Line extension is much shorter than the other two, so it only adds one new connection at Shin-Yurigaoka to the Odakyū Odawara Line and Odakyū Tama Line.

The Green Line extension is a peripheral extension that connects to multiple radial lines serving Yokohama, including Sōtetsu, JR, Keikyū, and the Minato Mirai Line.

The Kawasaki Municipal Subway is probably the most ambitious of these and would serve as a second north-south line connecting all of Kawasaki City (the JR Nambu Line is the first), which is shaped like a thin sliver stretching all the way from Inadazutsumi and Shin-Yurigaoka down to the water. This one would have connections with Odakyū, Tōkyū, JR, and Keikyū.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1710
Martini87

Likes (Received): 3

Hi Quashlo, let me ask you a question. I saw in your map with present and future lines (by the way, they're fantastic!) this very interesting line called "Keihin Bypass Line / Haneda Access Line" with many possibilities for through services to important places such as the Yamanote western corridor, the TOEI Asakusa Line or Rinkai Line to Odaiba and eastern Tokyo.

Is it in any realistic midterm plans?

I have the same doubt about Metro Seven and the Eight Liner

Thanks
Martini87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #1711
quashlo

For Keihin Bypass Line and Haneda Access Line, much of the tracks and ROW are already there, but they are used for freight trains. It seems they would at least need to construct a few major connections at several key locations to get the service started:
  • For the Keihin Bypass Line:
    • Some connection at the western end to Shin-Takashima and Sakuragichō. Based on the aerials, you can see the freight tracks dive underground right after entering the Minato Mirai area, but I actually have no idea where they go after this.
    • A new connection between existing Tsurumi Line track all the way to the existing freight line (from Bentenbashi to the Namamugi area)
    • Some work on the approach into the existing Tōkaidō Line passenger tracks near Tamachi.
  • For the Haneda Access Line:
    • Some new crossing to connect into Haneda Airport. I have it going via Tenkūbashi so it can also more directly serve the new International Terminal, but the MLIT plans have it peeling off earlier, paralleling the Bayshore Route expressway.
    • A new crossing from Odaiba area to the massive freight yard and Shinkansen yard.
Somehow, I don't think these will get built anytime soon, though. The Keihin Bypass Line is primarily intended as an alternative to relieve congestion on the Tōkaidō Line, but nothing's been decided firmly as of yet. I believe MLIT stance is to look at the potential for development growth in the Keihin corridor and see if partial conversion of these freight tracks to passenger service is really warranted.

The Haneda Access Line seems nice and would provide a better connection between the airport and areas along the Rinkai Line and Keiyō Line. I have doubts about this one though, since I think they may be oversaturating the Airport with rail service. There's already two lines, both of which are already under consideration for some sort of improvements (Asakusa Line Bypass and Tōkyō Monorail extension to Tōkyō or Shimbashi).

Metro Seven and Eight Liner are conceptually strong, as they provide new peripheral rail service that is currently lacking. Realistically, it's going to take a concerted effort and a big wallet to get them to happen. Eight Liner is ~33 km and Metro Seven is ~28 km as I have drawn them, and both would need to be almost completely underground because the roadway width is simply too narrow to provide enough space for an elevated line without crippling road traffic. There's also already existing grade-separated sections of these roadways that would make an elevated line difficult from an engineering standpoint.
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1712
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quashlo, what exactly are Metro Seven and Eight Liner?

Are they going to be express branch lines of the Namboku and Yuurakuchou lines?
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #1713
k.k.jetcar

My understanding of these lines are that they are completely new peripheral lines that follow (underground) the routes of the number 8 and number 7 loop roads (known colloquially as the kanpachi and kannana). The rolling stock proposed seems to be linear motor types such as used on the Oedo Line.

pamphlet detailing the "eight liner" (Japanese):
http://www.8liner-kyogikai.jp/index.html
http://www.8liner-kyogikai.jp/detail.html
http://www.8liner-kyogikai.jp/progress.html
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1714
k.k.jetcar

source:http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/index.php?id=911342

This location at Yamato Saidaji is one of my favorites in the Kansai area- the action is constant. I didn't realize Kyoto Subway trains made it this far on run throughs on the Kyoto Line.
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1715
quashlo

I don't know how many, but at least some go all the way to Kintetsu Nara.

Maybe compared to Kantō, it's nothing major, but I find Kansai through-servicing somewhat fascinating. Maybe because through-servicing is not as widespread so you focus more on what's there, or maybe because each city (Ōsaka, Kōbe, Kyōto, Nara, etc.) tends to have its own very strong identity... In Kantō everything just jumbles together. Or maybe because the Kansai private railways still retain strong interurban qualities, so seeing subway trains on these lines and vice versa is a little more jarring.

I know I was surprised when I first heard that there are Hankyū runs starting all the way in Kawaramachi in Kyōto that go to Tengachaya on the Sakaisuji Line.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1716
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

hey guys! just wanna share this news from the philippines... (10) sleeper coaches from JAPAN have already arrived in RP...

railfans covered the unloading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by batang_riles30 View Post

1st class coach

coaches with gold band - 1st class
coaches with white band - 2nd and 3rd class

more tomorrow
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #1717
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

They look...old. Not old as in its rusted old, but the design looks very old.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1718
pi_malejana

those are retired sleeper coaches from the "Horukiru" service IIRC...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokuriku_%28train%29

donated to the Philippine National Railways..
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1719
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
They look...old. Not old as in its rusted old, but the design looks very old.
Of course they're old, as the previous poster said, they're second hand. Philippines probably got them for next to nothing (otherwise they'd been scrapped). I have no idea what they will be used for though, given the condition of the railways. I hope they are better taken care of than the 12 series coaches previously donated, which look pretty trashed up now.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1720
pi_malejana

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Of course they're old, as the previous poster said, they're second hand. Philippines probably got them for next to nothing (otherwise they'd been scrapped). I have no idea what they will be used for though, given the condition of the railways. I hope they are better taken care of than the 12 series coaches previously donated, which look pretty trashed up now.
they'll be used for long distance trips (roughly 400km long)... the line is being rehabilitated right now (ie refurbishing locos, replacement of sleepers, embankments, rehab of stations, etc)... they probably won't be used until early next year...

anyway... there was a report that says that as much 200 coaches are being offered by Japan (not sure what series/lines); ready to be scrapped... PNR doesn't have the money to ship all of them though...