daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM   #61
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 461

Coronados de gloria vivamos o juremos con gloria morir, o juremos con gloria morir!

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #62
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
I like this logic, I seem to remember the Queen still holds the title Duke of Normandy . . .
No, the title of Duke of Normandy was formally relinquished by the British Monarchy in 1801, by which time France had become a republic so it was not held by any member of the French aristocracy either.

By the way it is a shame to see how this thread has degenerated although I suppose it was to be expected. Why not just give back the islands (les Malouines) to the town of Saint-Malo and be done with it? And before anyone attacks me on this, I'm not serious, in fact I couldn't care less.

Any additional photos (of the islands) would be nice though.
Piltup Man no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #63
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

I wonder what kind of people live in such desolate rock thousands of miles away from civilization. I wouldn't live there.

Last edited by ABC LV; October 4th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
ABC LV no está en línea  
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #64
White Shadows
Fairplay

Likes (Received): 3654

The U.N. Special Committee of the 24 on Decolonization stated that the Malvinas islands are a British colony.

The General Assembly of United Nations had adopted in 1960 the Resolution 1514, also known as the "Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples" or simply "Declaration on Decolonization". It proclaimed that colonialism should be brought to a speedy and unconditional end.

The Malvinas islands are argentine in accordance with U.N. resolutions.

return it!!!
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #65
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadows View Post
The U.N. Special Committee of the 24 on Decolonization stated that the Malvinas islands are a British colony.

The General Assembly of United Nations had adopted in 1960 the Resolution 1514, also known as the "Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples" or simply "Declaration on Decolonization". It proclaimed that colonialism should be brought to a speedy and unconditional end.

return it!!!
Of course, it does actually help to have read the declaration and understood what it was against.

The declaration...

And to this end
Declares that:
1. The subjection of peoples to alien subjugation, domination and exploitation constitutes a denial of fundamental human rights, is contrary to the Charter of the United Nations and is an impediment to the promotion of world peace and co-operation.
2. All peoples have the right to self-determination; by virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.
3. Inadequacy of political, economic, social or educational preparedness should never serve as a pretext for delaying independence.
4. All armed action or repressive measures of all kinds directed against dependent peoples shall cease in order to enable them to exercise peacefully and freely their right to complete independence, and the integrity of their national territory shall be respected.
5. Immediate steps shall be taken, in Trust and Non-Self-Governing Territories or all other territories which have not yet attained independence, to transfer all powers to the peoples of those territories, without any conditions or reservations, in accordance with their freely expressed will and desire, without any distinction as to race, creed or colour, in order to enable them to enjoy complete independence and freedom.
6. Any attempt aimed at the partial or total disruption of the national unity and the territorial integrity of a country is incompatible with the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations.
7. All States shall observe faithfully and strictly the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the present Declaration on the basis of equality, non-interference in the internal affairs of all States, and respect for the sovereign rights of all peoples and their territorial integrity.

It's about the human right of self-determination. i.e. giving people the choice about whether they want to be governed by colonisers or not.

The people of the Falklands have overwhelmingly stated a desire to remain under British rule, and the UN declaration therefore backs up that wish.

It would in fact be totally against Argentina taking over the islands, and would regard that as being against the Falklander's human rights.

Does the phrase "hoist by your own petard" translate well into Spanish?
Rev Stickleback está en línea ahora  
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #66
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:

return it!!!
And Argentina is a Spanish colony, how about start packing your bags and returning this land to the natives?
ABC LV no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #67
tricolor87
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 24

we will come back..

****LAND?
LAS ISLAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #68
soycordobes13

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC LV View Post
And Argentina is a Spanish colony, how about start packing your bags and returning this land to the natives?

With the same argue, any country around the world should do that, including yours.

The people living in Malvinas, don't have any right to self determination, pointless is ask the robber if he wanna keep what he stole.
Those british people were put there, in Argentine territory, by british pirates who attacked the island, violating every international treaty, including decolonization one.
soycordobes13 no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #69
tricolor87
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo21 View Post
Actually, the southernmost city in South America is Puerto Williams, located in Chile.

And we all know the Falkland Islands are british territory.
y la Patagonia es Argentina
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #70
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

I wanted to see a bit more images of Stanley, not this b..hit what's going on now.

Btw how long indigenous Argentinians (of how you call them?) lived on these islands before Brits ousted them? (I know, it's stupid question, but... to Argentina people - think a bit, don't fall that easy in a trap of populistic politicians)
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #71
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

There was never an idigenous population - certainly not in recorded history, and I don't believe there have been any arceological discoveries.

The whole of Patagonia was effectively uninhabited by humans when the Europeans first arrived - too desolate.
mediadave no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #72
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
There was never an idigenous population - certainly not in recorded history, and I don't believe there have been any arceological discoveries.

The whole of Patagonia was effectively uninhabited by humans when the Europeans first arrived - too desolate.
No, there were people there, all the way down to Tierra del Fuego in fact.
Piltup Man no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #73
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
to Argentina people - think a bit, don't fall that easy in a trap of populistic politicians)

this is the epithamy of ignorance!

to state argentinians don't think, and to say recognizing Malvinas as a stolen territory (UN does) is a trap.

if you don't know, history or the UN resolutions on this subject, just shut up; don't advice to think when you don't do it.

about the poputistic trap, are you refereing to UN resolutions?

this is the first time I know latvian that's not smart nor polite!
Luli Pop no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #74
Rakkata
...Rodrii

Likes (Received): 198

ISLAS MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ARGENTINAS ARGENTINAS ARGENTINAS

ISLAS MALVINAS ARGENTINAS

Rakkata no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #75
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC LV View Post
I wonder what kind of people live in such desolate rock thousands of miles away from civilization. I wouldn't live there.
Consider yourself lucky that you had the common sense to edit your post or you would have had an infraction. Any more of that and you will receive one.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #76
White Shadows
Fairplay

Likes (Received): 3654

There is confusion:
The "kelpers" are English settlers.
They came from England to settle in the islands.
The kelpers are not citizens of the Malvinas, are implanted.
They have no right to self-determination because they are British.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #77
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
There is confusion:
The "kelpers" are English settlers.
They came from England to settle in the islands.
The kelpers are not citizens of the Malvinas, are implanted.
They have no right to self-determination because they are British.
Hmm, so the sacrosanct UN resolution which you claimed proved legal ownership of the islands is now something which needs to be completely ignored?

Oooookay.
Rev Stickleback está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #78
messitadeluz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I will go to the british islands "X" and build a colony there, so then i could have the "self determination" argument....LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS.-
messitadeluz no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #79
Gordon2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Gordon2 no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #80
Bauhaus
pa panamericano

Likes (Received): 14876

These Thread generate conflict and fighting. The English know that Falkland is a delicate and controversial issue for the Argentines.
The same controversy as if Israel opened a thread on photos of Israeli settlements in Gaza and the West Bank or photographs on Tibet as Chinese territory, it would be unwise.
The United Nations considers the Falkland Islands as an area of territorial dispute, this means that England has no absolute right over the territory, and oil exploration work on the region, is a violation of international laws that Britain is a signatory.
..LL........

My country in pictures

Last edited by Bauhaus; October 6th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.
Bauhaus no está en línea  

Closed Thread