daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 117 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #241
vinodgopal

Likes (Received): 248

yes i am talking about most films that have themes like oru kal oru kannadi with Santhanam or Vivek telling the same type of jokes over and over again. Stupid folks think they are funny.

My wife made me spend 500 rupees on that piece of thrash.
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #242
satchitananda

Likes (Received): 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodgopal View Post
yes i am talking about most films that have themes like oru kal oru kannadi with Santhanam or Vivek telling the same type of jokes over and over again. Stupid folks think they are funny.

My wife made me spend 500 rupees on that piece of thrash.
I cannot understand what is historic or related to chennai that you watched a movie.. can we keep the thread postings relevant please..
satchitananda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #243
saysenthil

Likes (Received): 1663

- Cross posting -

As per the wish of CM.....

Old classical image

A view of the flyover coming up over Gemini Circle, in July 1972. The landmark construction has stood the test of time in traffic planning.

saysenthil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #244
saysenthil

Madras Port – the result of determination & perseverance

Look @ this website....

http://xsreal.com/blog/?p=196
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #245
vinodgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysenthil View Post
Madras Port – the result of determination & perseverance

Look @ this website....

http://xsreal.com/blog/?p=196
Eppidi irundha Madras ippidi asingam aiduchu. cha. ippo lam kaattu palli naatu pallinu local peru vechu kocha padutharanga. Mount Batten port of Madras - evlo beautiful a irukku kekkarathukku. Adha vittuputtu kaatu palli? yen kollapakathu voonan nu vekka vendiyathu dhaney
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #246
Shan_Sara
Shan_Sara

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Eppidi irundha Madras ippidi asingam aiduchu. cha. ippo lam kaattu palli naatu pallinu local peru vechu kocha padutharanga. Mount Batten port of Madras - evlo beautiful a irukku kekkarathukku. Adha vittuputtu kaatu palli? yen kollapakathu voonan nu vekka vendiyathu dhaney
so u don't wannu b original ,naming in native Tamil for our places .Rather love to be duplicate,copy the westerner's n English even in naming our own places also .

Good ,nalla olimayamaana edhirkaalam theriyudhu ..
Shan_Sara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #247
vinodgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_Sara View Post
so u don't wannu b original ,naming in native Tamil for our places .Rather love to be duplicate,copy the westerner's n English even in naming our own places also .

Good ,nalla olimayamaana edhirkaalam theriyudhu ..
their names are classy man. Okay then why are we discussing things in English bro. Lets discuss in Tamizh.

ha ha nailed you. I was just playing in Vivek style - in fact the current name is good enough for me and i was just checking out your reactions.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM   #248
Shan_Sara
Shan_Sara

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
their names are classy man. Okay then why are we discussing things in English bro. Lets discuss in Tamizh.

ha ha nailed you. I was just playing in Vivek style - in fact the current name is good enough for me and i was just checking out your reactions.
Friend ,expected this...

dhaaralama naama Tamizh layeh pesalam ....mikka magilchi.
Shan_Sara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #249
saysenthil

- Cross posting -

Chennai's first Mall of Fame

Quote:

The history of Spencer & co. goes back to 1863-1864 when a small "General Merchant's" store was established by Charles Durant and J.W.Spencer. The Growing business was moved in 1895 into new premises built in the Indo-Saracenic style on Mount Road. The Landmark building was destroyed in a fire in the year 1983. The name Spencer's is still associated with the shopping experience, through Spencer's Plaza, on the same site, being Madras's first mall.
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #250
saysenthil

A madras harbor scene by Bourne and Shepherd, c.1870's

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #251
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 2657

That building on the left is still there!!
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #252
Kathir

Likes (Received): 26

That building houses the Chennai GPO now.. As usual poorly maintained on the lines of other heritage buildings in Chennai, especially it's neighboring ones on the Rajaji Salai.. Makes me sad.
Kathir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #253
vinodgopal

kappal ootiya tamizhargaley vaazhga vaazhga. komanam mattum katti vegaatha veyil la kashta pateenga. inniki software company la cool a okkandu life ensoy panreenga
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #254
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathir View Post

That building houses the Chennai GPO now.. As usual poorly maintained on the lines of other heritage buildings in Chennai, especially it's neighboring ones on the Rajaji Salai.. Makes me sad.
Huge money was spent on restoring it after badly damaged in a fire in 97 or 98. I still remember the pic in Vikatan paper.. Technically all are office building with no special status..
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #255
vinodgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicvin86 View Post
Huge money was spent on restoring it after badly damaged in a fire in 97 or 98. I still remember the pic in Vikatan paper.. Technically all are office building with no special status..
Chetpet branch post office in taylor's road poirukeengala? bhooth bungalow only
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #256
rsubbu.mdu

Likes (Received): 562

When Madras was bombarded by the Germans

20-Aug-2012, The NewIE

This is perhaps one distinction of Madras that is truly historical in the real sense. Being one of the most important colonial centres of the British Raj, Madras that is now Chennai, by 1914, had already gained a fair bit of reputation as a colonial naval base. But on September 22 that year, the city entered the history books by being the one Indian city to be bombarded during World War I.

The German warship that accomplished this feat, ‘SMS Emden’, is among the legendary war cruisers that traversed the oceans in the 20th century. For its achievements, it was aptly called the ‘Swan of the East’, indicating both its beauty and prowess.

Not many who witnessed the bombardment of Madras on that fateful night are alive today, making it extremely difficult to get a first hand account. However, there exists a treasure trove of literature on this legendary light cruiser, including the book written by its iconic captain, Karl von Muller and the now popular The Last Gentleman of War: The Raider Exploits of the Cruiser Emden by RK Lochner.

Seventy-seven-year-old lawyer M R Sehsadri, a long time resident of Madras who is currently in New Delhi, says that the bombardment is a tale that was often repeated by his father M Ramanuja Iyengar during his childhood.

He says while the threat of war was indeed looming large on the country, the night, according to his father, was quiet. Accounts of the night reveal that the light cruiser entered the harbour undetected by the stationed British forces. The shells targeted the Burma Oil Company tankers built in the harbour, destroying several of them and starting a huge fire. Lochner’s book, on Page 111, wonders if the British had any clue about the war. He asks,” Didn’t the port authorities know anything about the war, or did Madras feel so impenetrably secure that it could flaunt precaution?”

The book also mentions that the beacon light, probably an allusion to the lighthouse then situated on the Madras High Court complex, flashed “unexpectedly” when the cruiser approached the harbour, making their approach easier.

However, the crew was considerate. The book says that “Emden’s target was angled so that even an inaccurately aimed shell would not fall in the narrow streets.” Interestingly, a few shells also fell near the Madras High Court premises, bringing down a compound wall. A plaque commemorating the incident was placed on the High Court premises, while the unexploded shells are now kept at the Government museum.

Even before the British forces could retaliate, the cruiser moved its shelling to a merchant ship, and sneaked out and headed towards Pondy. Some accounts also claim that an Indian national was aboard the cruiser helping the crew execute the attack.
rsubbu.mdu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #257
saysenthil

Dont if it was already posted.....

Superb set of photos depicting Madrasapattinam.....

1. Spenser Plaza

2.Old Thambaram

3.First automatic signal in Madras

4. Parrys corner signal

5. Madras Tram

Last edited by saysenthil; August 20th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #258
saysenthil

6.Guess everyone could read it

7.Dont know when

8. Probably Mount Road

9.Chennai Central

10.Gemini Flyover - During its construction
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #259
saysenthil

11. High Court

12. Kothaval Savadi market

13. Classic Marina

14. Rippon Building

15. Dont know if it has been photoshopped....

16.Chennai Ambulance Service 1940

Source: FB

Last edited by saysenthil; August 27th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #260
vinodgopal

ambassador car and auto hasnt changed one bit. Central looked very clean. Almost like a European country.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: