daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #301
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Nice to see the Seoul subways still have racks above the seats to put your stuff. I never understood why Busan and Gwangju (I think) have no racks. Where are you supposed to put your stuff when it's crowded?
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #302
davieb55

Likes (Received): 3

The subway trains in Busan have racks. At least, the ones on line 1 do.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #303
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
This I do not like. When I was in Korea there were only a couple stations with the doors. The reason I don't like them is because you can't see the train coming; that's fun! Also, in the summer, the wind from an approaching train is very nice. I heard they installed the doors for safety, but I think there were only a few people out of millions and millions who fell off (or jumped off) the platform. To me, the doors are annoying.
I know that PSD obsturct one's view but one's life is more critical thing than any other, not only for passengers but also for train drivers. When train drivers hit someone, they would suffer a trauma even if the accident is not their fault. Furthermore PSD would reduce fine dust and noise from track, and it makes it easier to aircondition the platform.

Last edited by ruready1000; February 5th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #304
ruready1000

Quote:
Nice to see the Seoul subways still have racks above the seats to put your stuff. I never understood why Busan and Gwangju (I think) have no racks. Where are you supposed to put your stuff when it's crowded?
The trains of Busan Line 3, Daejeon Line 1 and Gwangju Line 1 are derived from Urban Transit Standardzation Project. The train from this project was smaller than Seoul subway trains and I think that's why these trains have no racks. (For example, the trains of Busan Line 1 and Line 2, which is almost the same as Seoul subway trains in size, have racks.)
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #305
tangwk

Likes (Received): 0

Like the platform screen doors. But they should have installed half height screen doors on those elevated stations. It's going to make the stations stuffy like that.

Oh, and a video to share:

Big Bang - BSX CF

tangwk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #306
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangwk View Post
Like the platform screen doors. But they should have installed half height screen doors on those elevated stations. It's going to make the stations stuffy like that.
In early stage, half-height screen doors were, by way of showing an example, installed on the elevated stations such as Gangbyeon station and Konkuk university station, but later most screen doors on elevated stations have been were half-sealed type. I think the reason is that half-height screen doors can't prevent people from jumping over the screen door into a track.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #307
ruready1000

Seoul Subway Line 3 Extension will open on February 18

image hosted on flickr

- Extenson length : 3 km in total
- Station : Suseo, Garak Market, Police Hospital, Ogeum
- Transfer : Suseo(Bundangline), Garak Market(Line 8), Ogeum(Line 5)

Old February 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #308
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
In early stage, half-height screen doors were, by way of showing an example, installed on the elevated stations such as Gangbyeon station and Konkuk university station, but later most screen doors on elevated stations have been were half-sealed type. I think the reason is that half-height screen doors can't prevent people from jumping over the screen door into a track.
well, okay, but do many people do this? i'll be living in seoul a month from now so i shall see...although i gotta say that being totally separated from the trains until they're stopped is clearly more peaceful.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #309
goldbough

After watching the video, the moving cover over the escalators is pretty neat. But why wouldn't they just build it so it's always there? Is it for the novelty effect?
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #310
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
well, okay, but do many people do this?
Of course not. I just made a guess about why they didn't install half-height PSD on elevated stations.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #311
ruready1000

Quote:
After watching the video, the moving cover over the escalators is pretty neat. But why wouldn't they just build it so it's always there? Is it for the novelty effect?
I think you are right, just for the novelty effect, even though the reporter in the clip say it's for "to give surrounding buildings a clearer view."
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #312
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Can anyone tell me if there are any actual light rail lines in Korea? I'm not referring to the Asian definition, but tramway-like light railways.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #313
goldbough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are any actual light rail lines in Korea? I'm not referring to the Asian definition, but tramway-like light railways.
I guess you mean like DART in Dallas? I've never seen anything like that in Korea. I visited all the cities in Korea with subways and they were not light rail. The only thing I haven't been on is the Yongin-Everland line and AREX because it was built after I left Korea.
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #314
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post

There're no tram-like light railways in Korea. Most of LRTs under construction or planned are elevated or underground. But the central government has a plan to develop Wireless On-board Battery Tram by 2013 and several local governments are, due to financial problems, giving more interests in tram nowdays.

KRRI(Korea Railroad Research Institute) are now developing Wireless On-board Battery Tram, which may be able to travel 25-km on a single charge. A prototype tram will be made next year for a showcase in Yeosu EXPO and the project will be completed by 2013. Video Source

Last edited by ruready1000; February 16th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #315
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

If I'm not mistaken, Ulsan is looking to construct a tram-based LRT network. I wonder whether it will be a light metro-style like Germany's Stadtbahns and Manila's LRT or whether it will be a typical European-style network with low-floor trams.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #316
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
There're no tram-like light railways in Korea. Most of LRTs under construction or planned are elevated or underground. But the central government has a plan to develop Wireless On-board Battery Tram by 2013 and several local governments are, due to financial problems, giving more interests in tram nowdays.

KRRI(Korea Railroad Research Institute) are now developing Wireless On-board Battery Tram, which may be able to travel 25-km on a single charge. A prototype tram will be made next year for a showcase in Yeosu EXPO and the project will be completed by 2013. Video Source
Other than Yeosu, do you know which cities these are? Does this include the various LRT projects planned for the Seoul region?
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #317
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Ulsan is looking to construct a tram-based LRT network. I wonder whether it will be a light metro-style like Germany's Stadtbahns and Manila's LRT or whether it will be a typical European-style network with low-floor trams.
Ulsan is considering a typical European-style network. The initial plan was to begin construction in 2011, but it was postponed provisionally for two or three years. Instead in the meantime they have a plan to build 7km BRT line between downtown and Shin-Ulsan station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinglush View Post
Other than Yeosu, do you know which cities these are? Does this include the various LRT projects planned for the Seoul region?
It's known that Sungnam and Ulsan are cosidering to introduce this system, but there're no official statement. I think local governments would move on after seeing the results of Yeosu pilot program. Nearly every known Seoul LRT projects are elevated or underground type, meaning that most are not related to this tram project.
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #318
ruready1000

Busan Subway Line 2

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #319
ruready1000

Seoul Subway Line 3 Extension Opened Today

image hosted on flickr

Ogeum Station on Seoul Subway Line 5

image hosted on flickr

Ogeum Station on Seoul Subway Line 3

image hosted on flickr

Police Hospital Station on Seoul Subway Line 3

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Garak Market station on Seoul Subway Line 3

image hosted on flickr

Garak Market station on Seoul Subway Line 3

image hosted on flickr

Transferring hallway between Garak Market station on Line 3 and Line 8

image hosted on flickr

LCD Train Arrival Information

image hosted on flickr

Guide Map

source
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #320
ruready1000

Seoul's Subway Stations Go Digital

Quote:
Paper subway maps and cut-out coupons are about to become things of the past on the Seoul Subway.

Seoul Metro has introduced a new multi-function machine called "Digital View" that offers services including top news headlines, information about popular tourist spots and stock and weather updates. It may look like an ordinary screen but it is actually an internet phone.

What sets it apart from other public phones is that commuters can dial anywhere within Korea free of charge, while a square touch-screen beside the dial acts as a notepad.

Users begin by opening a digital map of the station where they are located. Once they decide where to go, they touch the logo of the cafe or shopping mall they wish to visit and the screen pops open another window that shows how far it is and how long it takes to get there as well as general information such as the store's phone number and address.

Another special feature is the "road view." It allows users to search the exact distance from the station to their destination using a 3D road map. Unlike the previous map, this one can navigate through streets and show a 360 degree view of anywhere in Seoul.

Aside from the more basic functions, with the Digital View users can also purchase movie tickets with their public transport cards, and take snapshots of digital coupons with their cell phones to get discounts at nearby stores.

More than 900 of these machines have already been installed at over 100 subway stations around Seoul with more than 15 of those units being set up at some of the city's busiest sites.

source

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tags
korea, metro, seoul, subway, transport