daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #361
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Isnt line 9 privately ran?

And its been a while since I moved out of Korea. Is subway transfers free? Since all of them are ran by different companies. Korail, Seoul gov, etc...I have taken subway in Seoul before but I was very young and my mom always bought the tickets. I have no idea how this system works. It goes by distance traveled. But do you have to pay again before transferring to new line?
The lines in Seoul are free transfers unlike the two systems in Tokyo. In Seoul, you can ride any line 1-9 including Incheon on one ticket. While I was there I didn't even realize that some lines were operated by different companies. The regional trains obviously aren't included, but you just pay for distance traveled. So you could ride from Soyosan (소요산) to Sinchang (신창) on one ticket. I haven't lived there for a couple years, so correct me if any of this has changed (I certainly hope it hasn't).
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #362
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Isnt line 9 privately ran?

And its been a while since I moved out of Korea. Is subway transfers free? Since all of them are ran by different companies. Korail, Seoul gov, etc...I have taken subway in Seoul before but I was very young and my mom always bought the tickets. I have no idea how this system works. It goes by distance traveled. But do you have to pay again before transferring to new line?
Seoul, Gyeonggi, Incheon have so-called 'Integrated Fare System'. Line 9 is operated by private company, but this company also joined 'Integrated Fare System'.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
The lines in Seoul are free transfers unlike the two systems in Tokyo. In Seoul, you can ride any line 1-9 including Incheon on one ticket. While I was there I didn't even realize that some lines were operated by different companies. The regional trains obviously aren't included, but you just pay for distance traveled. So you could ride from Soyosan (소요산) to Sinchang (신창) on one ticket. I haven't lived there for a couple years, so correct me if any of this has changed (I certainly hope it hasn't).
You are right. It hasn't been changed, except that Incheon has joined 'Integrated Fare System' last year.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #363
ruready1000

First Train for Gyeongchun Line arrived at Seoul

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #364
fan221
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Modelling singapore?

That system should only work in Seoul limited!
fan221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #365
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan221 View Post
Modelling singapore?

That system should only work in Seoul limited!
Which system do you mean?
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #366
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Troll.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #367
ruready1000

Gyeongchun Line First Train

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #368
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Will the Gyeongchun line have the same frequencies as the regular subway lines or is it more of a pure commuter line, that is, similar to Spain's Cercanias lines?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #369
leonster

Likes (Received): 0

I live in Ilsan... couple of questions, since I try to read Korean websites like frdb etc. but can't understand everything.

Will the Gyeongui line and Jungang line definitely be directly connected through Yongsan, so I could get on a train in Munsan and ride it through to Yongmun? That seems to be the case but... then what will the combined line be named?

Also, will the Metro portion of the Jungang line continue eastward past Yongmun, perhaps to Namwonju?

When the Everline is finished... it won't be connected to the subway system yet, correct? (The Bundang line extension isn't finished yet.) So won't it be kinda pointless for a year or two?

And speaking of direct connections--is it true Line 9 and AREX will be hooking up so you could ride directly from the airport to Express Bus Terminal/Gangnam area? AREX could use the riders! It's been nearly empty every time I've been on it (maybe 8-10 times now). Gyeongui line was empty like that when I first moved into the Ilsan area and it was a new line, but as months go by it's slowly picking up steam and now on weekends or at rush hours it's standing-room-only and actually quite crowded. And I'm sure it will be used much more if it continues through Yongsan--it'll be a really useful and fast line at that point from up here to central Seoul! AREX though... still completely empty, always! Maybe when it gets into Seoul station and connected to Line 9 to Gangnam, people might finally use it!
leonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #370
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Question. Is Nooriro a commuter train?

And are there commuter service to Dorasan?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #371
kjoseph717

Likes (Received): 1

American style coupling
kjoseph717 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #372
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Will the Gyeongchun line have the same frequencies as the regular subway lines or is it more of a pure commuter line, that is, similar to Spain's Cercanias lines?
It will be closer to regular subway line than pure commuter line because Gyeongchun line will be incorporated into Seoul Metropolitan Transit System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonster View Post
I live in Ilsan... couple of questions, since I try to read Korean websites like frdb etc. but can't understand everything.

Will the Gyeongui line and Jungang line definitely be directly connected through Yongsan, so I could get on a train in Munsan and ride it through to Yongmun? That seems to be the case but... then what will the combined line be named?

Also, will the Metro portion of the Jungang line continue eastward past Yongmun, perhaps to Namwonju?

When the Everline is finished... it won't be connected to the subway system yet, correct? (The Bundang line extension isn't finished yet.) So won't it be kinda pointless for a year or two?

And speaking of direct connections--is it true Line 9 and AREX will be hooking up so you could ride directly from the airport to Express Bus Terminal/Gangnam area? AREX could use the riders! It's been nearly empty every time I've been on it (maybe 8-10 times now). Gyeongui line was empty like that when I first moved into the Ilsan area and it was a new line, but as months go by it's slowly picking up steam and now on weekends or at rush hours it's standing-room-only and actually quite crowded. And I'm sure it will be used much more if it continues through Yongsan--it'll be a really useful and fast line at that point from up here to central Seoul! AREX though... still completely empty, always! Maybe when it gets into Seoul station and connected to Line 9 to Gangnam, people might finally use it!
Gyeongui line and Jungang line will be directly connected through Yongsan line, but much of things you asked has not been officially confirmed.

About everline, yes there's such problem.

About Arex and Line 9, some source says the plan to connect Arex and Line 9 is suspended because Korail is planning to operated KTX to Incheon Airport through Arex line, and transfer between Arex and Line 9 at Gimpo Airport is relatively easy so that there's not much need to be connected. I think we have to wait for official announcement.

Quote:
Question. Is Nooriro a commuter train?

And are there commuter service to Dorasan?
Nooriro is 'Mugunghwa class' train which is not incorporated into Seoul Metropolitan Transit System.

When you go to Dorasan station you have to transfer at Imjingang(Imjin River)station. Gyeoungui Line train don't go directly to Dorasan station.
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #373
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Nice pictures of the Gyeongchun Line train (361xxx series?). I notice similarities with JR East E series interiors (except for bike racks). I also see Korail also favors lightweight bolsterless bogies similar in design concept with JR East TR235 types. I wonder if Rotem has technical exchange with Japanese rolling stock builders (much like Mitsubishi Motors had with Hyundai years back)?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #374
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Nice pictures of the Gyeongchun Line train (361xxx series?). I notice similarities with JR East E series interiors (except for bike racks). I also see Korail also favors lightweight bolsterless bogies similar in design concept with JR East TR235 types.
Korean EMU trains have many similarities to Japanese trains. From the history of korean subway which began with the help from japan, you can easily assume it. When korea first introduced subway system they imported trains from japanses train makers such as Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and since then korean manufacturers have been associated with japanese manufacturers for long time.

Quote:
I wonder if Rotem has technical exchange with Japanese rolling stock builders (much like Mitsubishi Motors had with Hyundai years back)?
I don't have enough information to confirm it. I just guess that if they should be involved in any type of cooperation, it would be more a consortium-type than a technical transfer as Rotem has been much improved in technology.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #375
ruready1000

Gyeongchun Line Train Trial Run

Gyeongchun line train is making a trial run on Gyeongui line, as Gyeongchun line is not ready yet.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

images from lovtrout
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #376
ruready1000

Train design for Incheon Subway Line 2 confirmed

Train design for Incheon Subway Line 2, which is scheduled to be opened in 2014, was confirmed.
  • Line Length : 29.2km ( underground 23.1km + elevated and ground 6.1km)
  • Total Station : 27 stations
  • Train : AGT Light Rail (Hyundai Rotem), Unmanned
  • Trainset : 2 trains per 1 trainset (total : 74 trains, 37 trainsets)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #377
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Nice pictures again of the trial run. I see that there is mix of high level platforms (subway/commuter?) and low level (intercity/local?). As for Incheon Subway rolling stock, I like the design much less than the Gyeongchun types- I think Rotem went more for the European aesthetic in this design, albeit this is a light rail design rather than heavy rail. A matter of personal taste, of course.

I have a question, is there an active railway enthusiast hobby in Korea like in Japan, U.K. or the U.S.?? Do railfans congregate at platform ends to take pictures, video etc? I would like to visit Korea some day, especially to ride and photograph locomotive hauled trains and semaphore signals, though newer types are certainly impressive.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #378
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

So the Nooriro train will serve between Seoul and Sinchang. So it is a commuter train?

I am confused. Mungunhwa class trains run intercity services. Nooriro seems to be nothing more than a commuter train which Seoul needs.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #379
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Wikipedia says:
Quote:
The South Korean section of the Gyeongui Line was integrated with the Seoul Metropolitan Subway system on July 1, 2009. The northernmost subway station is Munsan, and the subway runs through Paju and Ilsan, then all the way into Seoul Station.

The term "subway" in reference to this line is somewhat of a misnomer, as the line runs underground for less than three percent of its length. It's included as part of the metro system--it's newly electrified and double tracked, uses subway cars, is shown on subway maps in Seoul, and has free transfers with Seoul Subway Line 3, Line 6, and (off-platform) Line 1--but it's almost fully aboveground. It simply follows the existing line built 100 years ago. It runs largely through countryside rice paddies, forests, and vegetable fields, and outside of Seoul rarely enters urbanized areas. It is mostly at-grade, and includes several at-grade crossings with local roads, where Korail employees stand by on duty to stop traffic.

The current section from Seoul Station to Digital Media City Station is a branch line, not the main line. Most trains go from Munsan to Digital Media City and stop, while only one or two trains per hour go all the way to Seoul Station. The Gyeongui Line, then, has strong transfers to Lines 3 and 6, but it can be a long wait for those waiting for a train to Seoul Station to transfer with Line 1.

Before the integration with the subway system, the most common service on the line was a Tonggeun train service between Seoul and Imjingang, with one Saemaeul-ho train. Since the line was integrated with the Seoul Subway system, Tonggeun service has been restricted to a few stations in the north, from Munsan to Imjingang, with a few continuing on to Dorasan, near the North Korean border.
If the "northernmost subway station is Munsan", I would assume that the electrification stops there. Would Mungunhwa class trains be locomotive-hauled?
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #380
ruready1000

Quote:
Nice pictures again of the trial run. I see that there is mix of high level platforms (subway/commuter?) and low level (intercity/local?). As for Incheon Subway rolling stock, I like the design much less than the Gyeongchun types- I think Rotem went more for the European aesthetic in this design, albeit this is a light rail design rather than heavy rail. A matter of personal taste, of course.

I have a question, is there an active railway enthusiast hobby in Korea like in Japan, U.K. or the U.S.?? Do railfans congregate at platform ends to take pictures, video etc? I would like to visit Korea some day, especially to ride and photograph locomotive hauled trains and semaphore signals, though newer types are certainly impressive.
I don't like the design of Inchen Line 2 train too, it seems like Gimhae LRT and Busan Line 4 train combined.

There are many railway enthusiasts in Korea, of course, even though it may be much less than Japan, U.K. or U.S. in volume. In the past railway facilities were classified as kind of secret, so there were many restrictions on taking pictures of trains, stations and other facilities. Now the regulations has been relaxed and there are many railfan sites on the web. You can take pictures of trains or stations, mostly without permission from staffs, if you don't walk along the track or don't enter into restricted areas.

Quote:
So the Nooriro train will serve between Seoul and Sinchang. So it is a commuter train?

I am confused. Mungunhwa class trains run intercity services. Nooriro seems to be nothing more than a commuter train which Seoul needs.

Nooriro trains have run cheifly on Seoul-Sinchang(서울-신창), but one Nooriro train also has been put in service on Seoul-Jecheon(서울-제천) section via Gyeongbu and Chungbuk line since last month.

image hosted on flickr

This picture shows Nooriro train in Mokhaeng station on Chungbuk line. source

Basically Korail has four class trains, KTX, Saemaul, Mugunghwa and Tonggeun(Commuter). Except for Tonggeun, most trains are long-distance transportation. Nooriro has its own name, but it's classified as Mugunghwa class train and its fare is the same as Mugunghwa trains. With the electrification and speed-up of major lines, most of Mugunghwa class trains, which are diesel railcar, or diesel or electric locomotive hauled trains, will be gradually replaced by EMU trains like Nooriro trains. Saemaul class trains are in the same fate. Most trains will be gradually replaced by so-called 'Vitzro'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
Wikipedia says:

If the "northernmost subway station is Munsan", I would assume that the electrification stops there. Would Mungunhwa class trains be locomotive-hauled?
You are right, Munsan -- Imjingang -- Dorasan sections are not electrified. Currently Munsan-Dorasan is served by CDC(Commuter Diesel Car). You can see this train on this site.

Tags
korea, metro, seoul, subway, transport