daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #441
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Aerial View of Several Gyeongchun Line Stations

춘천역 | Chuncheon Station

남춘천역 | Nam-Chuncheon Station

김유정역 | Gimyujeong Station

굴봉산역 | Gulbongsan Station

강촌역 | Gangchon Station

백양리역 | Baegyang-ri Station

source : 연합뉴스
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM   #442
martinw600

Likes (Received): 0

Has the Gyeongchun Line opened today? It's not on all the maps at stations or on trains yet, or on the online maps, or on the Jihachul iPhone app. I am guessing it has opened precisely on-time, but isn't on the maps yet! I hope it will be soon, it would be useful to see its timetable.
martinw600 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:28 AM   #443
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinw600 View Post
Has the Gyeongchun Line opened today? It's not on all the maps at stations or on trains yet, or on the online maps, or on the Jihachul iPhone app. I am guessing it has opened precisely on-time, but isn't on the maps yet! I hope it will be soon, it would be useful to see its timetable.
Gyeongchun line opened today. Naver has updated subway map, adding Gyeongchun line on the map. You can see it here. And Korail also has updated the timetable of Gyeongchun line. See or download this file from Korail website.
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:44 AM   #444
ruready1000

First Day of Gyeongchun Line

source

Video Clip 01, 02, 03
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM   #445
martinw600

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks, Ruready! My Korean just about stretches to reading the Excel file, although I am struggling a bit with the menus on the Naver and Korail sites. I am sure the English versions will be available soon.
martinw600 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #446
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Thanks Ruready for those very interesting aerial pictures of the Gyeongchun Line. Some articles have described this as a subway line, but technically it's an outer suburban rail line, as it will be fitted with passing tracks at certain stations (note Nam-Chuncheon Station and Baegyang-ri Station have room for two more tracks to be laid at a later date) to allow express services, plus the 80+km line length is certainly beyond the range of a typical metro. It is a bit sad to see the single track line with diesel-hauled trains go, much more bucolic and relaxed in atmosphere, but the march of progress must go on, I suppose. The layout of the old Gimyujeong Station (right side of the pic) is a classic one for a single track line, with catchpoint turnouts to protect the main line- much more interesting IMO than modern station layouts.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM   #447
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinw600 View Post
Thanks, Ruready! My Korean just about stretches to reading the Excel file, although I am struggling a bit with the menus on the Naver and Korail sites. I am sure the English versions will be available soon.
Seoulmetro and SMRT updated their korean routemap.(english version not yet)

Seoulmetro version(Korean)
SMRT version(Korean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Thanks Ruready for those very interesting aerial pictures of the Gyeongchun Line. Some articles have described this as a subway line, but technically it's an outer suburban rail line, as it will be fitted with passing tracks at certain stations (note Nam-Chuncheon Station and Baegyang-ri Station have room for two more tracks to be laid at a later date) to allow express services, plus the 80+km line length is certainly beyond the range of a typical metro. It is a bit sad to see the single track line with diesel-hauled trains go, much more bucolic and relaxed in atmosphere, but the march of progress must go on, I suppose. The layout of the old Gimyujeong Station (right side of the pic) is a classic one for a single track line, with catchpoint turnouts to protect the main line- much more interesting IMO than modern station layouts.
You are right that it's technically suburban rail line. But most peoples in korea don't distinguish subway or metro from suburban rail, even reporters usually don't do it when they write an article. Actually you don't need to tell which one is which when there're no diffrences among subway/metro/suburban rail, whose fare are integrated and calculated by distance-base.

You seem to be much interested in small and old station. When I went to Japan several times, me also liked more small stations than big ones in cities, except that these stations were almost black in night, giving me a bit of scare.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM   #448
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Is the commuter line between Busan and Ulsan also going to be a subway-type train?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM   #449
ruready1000

Gyeongchun Line First Train on Sangbong Station

Source : U≡H at dcinside.com
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM   #450
ruready1000

Gyeongchun Line News Clip

Old December 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #451
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Is the commuter line between Busan and Ulsan also going to be a subway-type train?
I think so, even though the train type may be diffrent from the current subway-type train.( derived from AUTS maybe)
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM   #452
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
I think so, even though the train type may be diffrent from the current subway-type train.( derived from AUTS maybe)
I have a feeling that this is where any AUTS-derived EMU would be deployed.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #453
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
You seem to be much interested in small and old station. When I went to Japan several times, me also liked more small stations than big ones in cities, except that these stations were almost black in night, giving me a bit of scare.
Yes, I'm more interested in vintage and existing railway operations than the latest stuff- I find the older railway more characterful and also has the unique flavor of the country, while newly built infrastructure and rolling stock tend to look very homogenized and similar to other nation's new stuff. I like Korail's EMD diesel locomotives pulling the coaches- it immediately tells you it's a Korean railway, while Gyeongchun Line trains, while very attractive and modern, could very well be mistaken for a new line in Japan by a non-railfan. However, I'm a big supporter of rail transport and mass transit (I don't own a car out of principle), and I know modernizing and expanding rail systems is necessary for a civilized society, which So. Korea, other Asian nations and Europe well follows, unlike the thinking of many people in a certain big nation across the Pacific which claims to be the beacon of progress.

*By the way, why are those young people bowing down to the train?-are they fanatics, or are they merely examining the pebbling on the blind people's strip?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM   #454
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
I'm sorry for being off topic, but I'm curious as to what's going on in this picture. Does anyone care to enlighten me?
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #455
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
*By the way, why are those young people bowing down to the train?-are they fanatics, or are they merely examining the pebbling on the blind people's strip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
I'm sorry for being off topic, but I'm curious as to what's going on in this picture. Does anyone care to enlighten me?
They are welcoming the first train with a deep bow. " Here comes Sir new train. "

It's just sort of fun that young rail fans make like this :

Young railfans are making deep bow to the Gyeongchun line last train.

source : 룰루룹 at dcinside.com
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #456
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

What portion of the new line is underground? Or are some of these pictures just taken at night?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #457
ruready1000

A Speicial Set of Transportation Card For Celebrating New Gyeongchun Line

Korail sells a set of special transportation card to celebrate the openning of New Gyeongchun Line.
  • 2,010 copies limited
  • Price : 80,000 Won ( approximately 80$, as 1$=1000won)
  • Contents
    - 52 page book introducing Gyeongchun line, train and each station
    - 20 single journey transportation card. All card has seperate image on it (1 train, 1 routemap and each 18 station images). And all cards are charged with 2600 won(the exact fare of single journey between Sangbong and Chuncheon), so you can use it if you want to.

source
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #458
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
What portion of the new line is underground? Or are some of these pictures just taken at night?
I think there's no underground in this line, even though this line (81.3km) is consist of many tunnels( 39.4%, or 32km).
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM   #459
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

No underground according to Wikipedia.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #460
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Sangbong

Is Sangbong Station open for transfer between Line 7 and the Gyeongchun and Jungang Lines? I'm a little confused about this. The updated maps show this, but I've also seen reference in earlier posts about Sin-Sangbong. Could someone please clarify this?
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea, metro, seoul, subway, transport