daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #101
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Those new sets are huge on the inside. Won't that [possibly] increase dwelling times at stations?

Are all Seoul Subway trains as big?

They look great, I'm horribly jealous!

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #102
ddes

Likes (Received): 939

I'm guessing the Seoul Subway's rolling stock is about 3.2m wide. That's about basic subway widths, Singapore's rolling stock is also 3.2m wide.

Line 3 new rolling stock looks great. No offense but the exterior's sides look like those Japanese ones. Love the front though.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #103
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

The interiors of Seoul's subway trains are very big. There is also plenty of racks above seats to store bags and briefcases. That being said, I'm surprised the racks are still there ... isn't it a security threat considering gas masks are readily available at subway stations?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #104
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Those new sets are huge on the inside. Won't that [possibly] increase dwelling times at stations?
Are all Seoul Subway trains as big?
They look great, I'm horribly jealous!
the width of most trains in seoul subway is about +- 3.2m.

Quote:
I'm guessing the Seoul Subway's rolling stock is about 3.2m wide. That's about basic subway widths, Singapore's rolling stock is also 3.2m wide.

Line 3 new rolling stock looks great. No offense but the exterior's sides look like those Japanese ones. Love the front though.
yes, some korean railroad fans also said the side of the train looks like the japanese train of some line, which I can't remember the name now.

Last edited by ruready1000; April 14th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #105
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The interiors of Seoul's subway trains are very big. There is also plenty of racks above seats to store bags and briefcases. That being said, I'm surprised the racks are still there ... isn't it a security threat considering gas masks are readily available at subway stations?
well most of peoples, including me, even may not know about gas masks being there in subway and i think there're no serious threats enough to strengthen the security measures now.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #106
ruready1000

Seoul Metropolitan Area Express Railways Proposed

Seoul Metropolitan Area Express Railways, so called GTX(Great Train Express), will be constructed by 2016 if MLTM (Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs), Seoul and Incheon city government agree on it, Gyeonggi Provincial Government officially announced today.

Features

- Securing a quick access to Seoul downtown
-- High Speed Train : 200km/h ( maximum speed), 100km/h ( average commercial speed )
-- Running 50m below ground level
-- Minimizing the number of station

- Routes
-- Kintex <-> Dongtan : 77.6km
-- Gumjyeong <-> Uijeongbu : 49.3km
-- Cheongnayngni <-> Songdo : 50.3km
-- Total 177.2km

- Projected Fare
-- 2500-3000 Won ( about 1.9 dollar - 2.3 dollar )

- Construction Cost
-- about 13 billion dollars (estimation)
-- the cost will be financed by private sector(60%), development gains from new residential site around seoul(20%), central and provincial goverment(20%)

- Projected Date
-- Construction begins 2011 or 12, to be completed in 2016

- Problems
-- there can be trouble to make up and share the enormous costs
-- the possibility that seoul doesn't agree on this project
-- legal problem : Gyeonggi government say they don't have to compensate the land on tunnel, but the law is not clear about it.
-- inhabitants on tunnel may feel uncomfort about the tunnel passing below their home so that it may cause legal disputes or civil appeals.

homepage : korean only

if there's wrong information feel free to correct it.

I don't like this project because it's too costly and I think with this amount of money they can make several subways and give passensers this kind of express services with less fares. Although one line would be possible, but the cost would not allow the whole project to be passed, I reckon.

Last edited by ruready1000; September 6th, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #107
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

I think the GTX idea is terrific. Although Seoul benefits from having a huge subway network with many lines and large trains, there isn't a proper commuter rail network. Some of the lines (Line 1, Bundang) perform that function, but except for the southern stretch of Line 1, they pass through urbanized areas. Some of these lines operate with unbearable crush loads at rush hour, too. There are so many people on Line 1 between Yongsan and Guro late at night, for example, it's hard to breathe, especially in winter when the heat is on (in spite of all the body heat all the passengers generate). I don't miss that at all. In any case, considering the sprawl and the huge population of the Seoul region, I think a high-speed commuter rail system is a good idea. The distance from the outer suburbs turns the commute into a real time suck. Something needs to be done about that. And I noticed Songdo was the terminus of Line C. For it to have the kind of impact its developers want, quick access to Seoul will be an absolute necessity. Foreign residents and businesspeople will not tolerate such a remote location for long. I don't know if this proposal will go anywhere, but I do think it's a good idea.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #108
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinglush View Post
I think the GTX idea is terrific. Although Seoul benefits from having a huge subway network with many lines and large trains, there isn't a proper commuter rail network. Some of the lines (Line 1, Bundang) perform that function, but except for the southern stretch of Line 1, they pass through urbanized areas. Some of these lines operate with unbearable crush loads at rush hour, too. There are so many people on Line 1 between Yongsan and Guro late at night, for example, it's hard to breathe, especially in winter when the heat is on (in spite of all the body heat all the passengers generate). I don't miss that at all. In any case, considering the sprawl and the huge population of the Seoul region, I think a high-speed commuter rail system is a good idea. The distance from the outer suburbs turns the commute into a real time suck. Something needs to be done about that. And I noticed Songdo was the terminus of Line C. For it to have the kind of impact its developers want, quick access to Seoul will be an absolute necessity. Foreign residents and businesspeople will not tolerate such a remote location for long. I don't know if this proposal will go anywhere, but I do think it's a good idea.
The problem is , as you said, it pass through the downtown areas. yes, just passing through, it means they can't distribute the exsiting traffic by adding new rails , rather it will make it worse because, with a quick acess to the heart of seoul downtown, there will be more persons who transter to the current line, especially Line 2. Of course someone would benefit from riding from one point to one point quickly, reducing that amount of passensers, but the would-be-increased passengers to downtown subway can't be solved by this means. Someone could get there at their destination directly, so no traffic adding, but how it would be if they have to transfer to the exsiting line and there're bunch of peoples like that? If I'm a seoul mayor, I will not agree on this project.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #109
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinglush View Post
...Some of these lines operate with unbearable crush loads at rush hour, too. There are so many people on Line 1 between Yongsan and Guro late at night, for example, it's hard to breathe, especially in winter when the heat is on (in spite of all the body heat all the passengers generate). I don't miss that at all. ...
That's because Korail just doesn't run enough trains, even during rush hour the headways are way too long, and at night they make you wait as long as ten or fifteen minutes, they're cheap that way.
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #110
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
That's because Korail just doesn't run enough trains, even during rush hour the headways are way too long, and at night they make you wait as long as ten or fifteen minutes, they're cheap that way.

Well I don't know which station you refer to and the headway, depending on where you live, may be various, but Guro station's headway at RH time is, for example, like this. I don't think it's too long headway.

Last edited by ruready1000; April 16th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #111
ruready1000

New train for Seoul Subway Line 3

Video from news clip

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #112
ddes

Likes (Received): 939

So GTX is Seoul's answer to the RER?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #113
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

The new trains remind me of these trains from JR's Chuo line:
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #114
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
So GTX is Seoul's answer to the RER?
That's what I was thinking.

It is so impressive to see a city like Seoul, with an extensive rail transit network not only expanding it but adding new forms such as light rail and rapid commuter rail. Awesome!!
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM   #115
ruready1000

No more paper ticket in seoul subway

Seoul City Government announced that paper ticket would disappear on May, and RF-type rechargeable single journey card would be used instead. For a while, in order to prevent passengers from being confused, passengers are able to use both. In this system you have to purchase 'single journey card' instead of 'paper ticket'. When you purchase this card you have to pay, addition to the fare, the 500-WON depoist for the card and you can refund it at Deposit Refund Device any time.

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM   #116
ruready1000

Seoul Subway at Rush Hour

video from news clip
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #117
ruready1000

Dang-go-gae Station

image from korail5078
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #118
ruready1000

More about No More Paper Ticket in Seoul Subway

According to this news clip, passengers can use both paper ticket and single journey ticket till the openning day of Metro 9, which is scheduled to open in the late of May. So it means that paper ticket will end its life on the late of May.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #119
ruready1000

The Smallest Subway in Korea

Nok-Dong station in Gwangju Subway, located at Gwangju Subway Yongsan Base, is the smallest subway in korea. The station didn't exist in intial plan but it was later added to the plan to serve the residents nearby Yongsan Base. The average daily ridership on 2008 was 52 persons and the average headway is about 1 hour.

And Nok-Dong station has Rope Type Screen Door, which is the only one in Korea.

Video1
Video2

Gwangju Subway Route Map

Nok-Dong Station

images from overroad89 at naver.com

satellite image
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #120
ruready1000

Mong-Chon-To-Seong Station in Seoul Subway Line 8