daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #21
G2GAP

Likes (Received): 0

So despite the Council saying they do not know of any delays last week the Belfast Telegraph has this article .... who knows what these dimwits in power are doing!....

Quote:
End to Titanic legal wrangle on horizon

By John Simpson and Robin Morton
Tuesday, 19 May 2009

A legal logjam which has delayed the start of work on Belfast’s £97m Titanic Signature Project is close to being broken, it was learned today.

Contractors had expected to be on site at Titanic Quarter in January but almost five months on, work has still not got under way.

The delay has prompted fears that the scheme will not be completed in time to mark the centenary in 2012 of the loss of the iconic liner. But today the Department of Enterprise, which is overseeing the development at this stage, indicated that progress was imminent.

A DETI spokesperson said: “Discussions are at a very advanced stage regarding the finalisation of a legal agreement, which would be signed by all funders.”

Although DETI was non-committal on timing, it is expected that the agreement will be signed within a fortnight.

The key funders are the Stormont Executive, which is offering funding of £43.5m, and landowners Titanic Quarter, which is putting up around £23m, including estimated land costs of £7m.

Titanic Quarter declined to make any comment on the delay, but it is understood the body is confident that the lost time will be made up.

The start of work on site, which will involve extensive excavations, will come as a boost to Northern Ireland’s beleaguered construction sector.

It is estimated that the project will provide employment for up to 600 workers between now and 2012. It has already been agreed that the negotiated contract will go to Harcourt Construction (NI), a subsidiary of Dublin-based Harcourt Developments which is a joint venture partner with the Harbour Commissioners in the Titanic Quarter project.

The Signature Project, which is expected to be a major tourist attraction, will be owned by Titanic Foundation, a stand-alone charitable company which so far has just two directors.

bustel@belfasttelegraph.co.uk
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #22
asbar

i hope they get going soon
asbar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #23
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

They could have made a static full size replica of the Titanic for a quarter of the entire cost of the Titanic Quarter.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #24
G2GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
They could have made a static full size replica of the Titanic for a quarter of the entire cost of the Titanic Quarter.
The Light Ship was an impressive proposal ...

As for an actual full scale model....
I'm not sure about a full scale replica, it could ruin the area and make it out like a DisneyLand or something ... the ARC, TQ Met, Gateway Office/Hotel buildings are all aiming for a high quality look and i would not want this image cheapened ..... however if a replica was built it would open up some great possibilities for uses .... especially for the tourist market ... a large restaurant themed after the 1st class dining area etc that would become a must for any tourist to Belfast .... maybe a hotel or two possibly even themed rooms to mimic the 1st class cabins but with more modern modcons ..... Museum somewhere on it and maybe even instead of just a museum where you just look at walls of info they could have more of a walk through experience ... to really visualise all the areas of the ship ...

There was a masterplan image years ago which showed the bow of the ship [EDIT: or is that the back of the ship or is it even meant to be Titanic lol] recreated only. It would emerge from the museum building on the slipway but then they probably realised they could not build over the slipways ...

Last edited by G2GAP; May 19th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #25
plank007

The Lightship was an impressive proposal.

I'm not against current the Titanic Signature Project but I honestly can't see it attracting 'millions' of American tourists everyone keeps talking about.

My example would be the Queen Mary in Long Beach or the QE2 in Dubai, obviously these are the original ships but the idea is the same.....

Build an exact external replica of the Titanic and replicate important internal features such as Grand Staircase, first class cabins/dinning etc for the tourists and the rest could be used as modern luxury hotel, conference facilities etc.

Last edited by plank007; May 19th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #26
plank007

There is a guy in the USA who has built a full scale half size replica and attracts millions of visitors each year. He also would like to build one in Belfast...

http://www.titanicbranson.com/

Last edited by plank007; May 19th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #27
plank007

edit
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #28
asbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post
The Light Ship was an impressive proposal ...

they could still do it in the future that part of h&w is Phases 3 - 5
These phases are still at conceptual design stage so it could still
happen.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #29
beddiebyes

Quote:
There is a guy in the USA who has built a full scale half size replica and attracts millions of visitors each year. He also would like to build one in Belfast...

http://www.titanicbranson.com/

That is absolutely horrific!! If they ever built anything like that in Belfast it would criminal. Its cheap, tacky and in completely bad taste. the fact it attracts millions perhaps says more about americans than any sign of quality
beddiebyes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #30
citybus

Likes (Received): 64

It's also half the size of the real thing
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #31
SLMCC Belfast
Save the Aurora!!

my god that replica in the US is just awfull!! How tacky... The light version was excellent but then it really could only work at night... During the day it would just be a load of metal rods. If there needs to be a titanic in the titanic quarter then I have to say the odysee scheme is the least offensive.
A little slice of Northern Irish humour (edited for those of a sensitive nature) - I was once told Ireland looks like a Baby - the legs in Cork and Kerry, the arms in Mayo and Galway, the belly button at Dublin (a reminent of the chord attached to Britain) and the Brains in the North. Sums it up well I think....
SLMCC Belfast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #32
G2GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMCC Belfast View Post
my god that replica in the US is just awfull!! How tacky... The light version was excellent but then it really could only work at night... During the day it would just be a load of metal rods. If there needs to be a titanic in the titanic quarter then I have to say the odysee scheme is the least offensive.
Yeah during the day it could have looked dreadful! Would have been a lot of metal and wiring and probably just would have either looked like a ship being built or one laying there rotting away!!! lol

The American replica is the type of thing Americans would love!!! I looked at where it is on the map! It's in the middle of nowhere! Not even near the ocean! Ridiculous thing!!

I'm hopeful that the Odyssey extension may improve the backend of the Odyssey which currently looks a state! I suppose it was lack of forward planning and a lack of consideration that in years from when the Odyssey was built the Abercorn Basin would be more of a focal point... so it was a missed opportunity by the architect of the Odyssey to not open the centre up to the Basin more ....
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #33
festivephone

What the pic of the half size replica dosnt show you is that they only built the front of the ship and no back. The front part thats shown is actually the size of the titanic.
festivephone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #34
plank007

I agree entirely about it being cheap and nasty and something of that quality is not what we want in Belfast. I was showing it as an example of a something that can attract millions of visitors. The point made them being American. Aren’t we trying to attract Americans visitors in particular who will come to Belfast in 2012? What do you think they will think of the Titanic Signature Project?

What we are talking about is an exact fixed replica that would be built in the current Thompson graving dock, where Titanic was fitted out. Obviously the exterior would be built to the highest standard to match the real vessel but the interior would be designed so only key features were replicated and the rest being used for a hotel, conference facilities etc.

I know a there a number of people who have looked into this and it can be done at a reasonable cost but it would require considerable private funding which the government don’t seem to be capable of.

Last edited by plank007; May 19th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #35
asbar

I would like to have some place were the inside of the titanic could be recreated :-

The dinner hall
Grand Staircase
First Class
Second Class
Third Class
steam engines
and more

Last edited by asbar; May 19th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #36
plank007

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbar View Post
I would like to have some place were the inside of the titanic could be recreated :-

The dinner hall
Grand Staircase
First Class
Second Class
Third Class
steam engines
and more

Yeah and people say it would be tacky. Aren't they forgetting we built the Titanic, the materials in the Titanic where from Ireland, Harland & Wolff probably still have the plans!
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #37
asbar

Quote:
Yeah and people say it would be tacky. Aren't they forgetting we built the Titanic, the materials in the Titanic where from Ireland, Harland & Wolff probably still have the plans!
It would not be tacky at all your could have your dinner in the dinner hall. I am sure lots of people would love that to walk around the steam engines walk up the Grand Staircase to First Class who would not want to to that and more.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #38
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2382

Jesus, if we even consider building something like that piece of shite in Belfast I'll seriously disown the city.

Typical Americans, cheap and tacky suits them. No notion of quality and taste.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #39
PB-1888

The odyssey is slightly more tasteful, relatively speaking:

At least there isn't the faux iceberg.

I disagree that Americans have "no notions of quality and taste". They just know how to market to and make money from those who have no notions of quality and taste. As far as I'm aware plenty of Northern Irish flock to Orlando every year.
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #40
citybus

Likes (Received): 64

The old drawing offices are ripe for restoration to their edwardian past, that's the most obvious candidate in TQ for a period piece. Use that massive room as a restaurant or a library, though the latter isnt needed given that the Public Record Office is nearby. These are probably the only sensible options. Any messing around with the interior would be sacrilege
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: