daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #521
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Bangkok's full name is not one word though.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #522
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bangkok's full name is not one word though.
Taumata neigther, originally.
Ondro está en línea ahora  
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #523
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In the full country of Spain I do not know, but in my region (Aragon) the three longest names are "Villanueva del Rebollar de la Sierra", "San Martin de la Virgen del Moncayo" and "La Almunia de Doña Godina" (last one, maybe someone of you have crossed besides it because it is in the A-2 direction Madrid).

I think that only sometines I've seen the third one as the full name. In the rest... just part of it...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #524
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

How about Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja? It's the longest placename in Spain. Here's the sign with the whole name. At least they doesn't sign Llanfairpwllgywngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in its full name.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #525
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
How about Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja? It's the longest placename in Spain. Here's the sign with the whole name. At least they doesn't sign Llanfairpwllgywngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in its full name.
That's just Llanfair thank God! They do post the full name at the railway station, but that's more for the tourists...
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #526
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2454

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Again, IMHO you fail to provide an universal argument why exonyme is better than the official name (the "de facto" name used by most population). Why exactly is "Mailand" better than "Milano"?

So far what I understand from your posts is that you think exonymes are ok, because they are easy for your people. That is not an universal argument, because such mentality is no longer present in Europe. The Dutch removed "Keulen", probably the French removed "Londres", but I still see "Luxemburg" in my area. Somebody is a bit behind in the process.
That's not what he said. He said exonyms should have a place on the road sign together with the endonym. He never claimed that exonyms are better. They're also not worser. If a name is still in use it should have it's place on the sign. Final. Sign are a representation of reality. The reality is that some cities have more than one name!

Last edited by De Klauw; July 29th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
De Klauw no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #527
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's just Llanfair thank God! They do post the full name at the railway station, but that's more for the tourists...

off-topic

In Spain, railways station are named by 10 characters on computers. It is enough to write the full name of the city, part of it and put a letter or something that could make a difference between two stations in the same city.

At Madrid, station of "Chamartin" is named as "Madrid - Chamartin" in the own station, but for computers it is "mchamartin" only (ten characters...) and that's the name it appears in all railway tickets.

Once, in a train, two foreing people asked me if I spoke English and later when they will arrive to the station of "Mc-Hamartin" and something about that station.

Take a look between the differences of "Madrid - Chamartin" (last "I" is pronounces strongest) and "Mc-Hamartin". They repeated three or four times the name of station and... I had to ask them for their tickets. I noticed the reason of the mistake and reccommend them to pronounce it without the first M (I said them, it meaned "Madrid") because if I could understand all the conversation except the name of the station... someone else will understan noooooooothing.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #528
piotr71

I found something interesting on E42 in Belgium.

Trier - Trèves

1. Trier ( Trèves)

2. Trier - Trèves

3. Trèves

4. Trèves

5. Trier
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #529
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Is that a motorway?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #530
piotr71

Yes, it is. This one:

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #531
DanielFigFoz

Is it jsut me or do the lanes look narrow?
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

No, the markings are wide.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #533
DanielFigFoz

Ahhh
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #534
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I found something interesting on E42 in Belgium.

Trier - Trèves
Belgium doesn't seem to be as consistent about its language laws when the languages involved are French and German as it is when the languages are French and Dutch. As I understand the laws, Trier ought to be marked "Trèves (Trier)" at the Verviers end of that road, "Trèves-Trier" at Malmedy, then "Trier-Trèves" at Sankt-Vith. (Because Verviers is a completely French-speaking area, the French version of the name would appear according to Belgian law, the "Trier" in parentheses would be there because for places outside Belgium, Belgium generally complies with the European rule that requires endonyms. Then at Malmedy, where French is still the official language but there are "facilities" for German, everything is supposed to appear in French first ,then German. And at Sankt-Vith, where it's the other way around - German as the official language with French "facilities" - everything should appear in German first, then French.

I realize this may be more than you wanted to know.... Incidentally, for anyone who wants to know about the linguistic situation in Belgium, or anywhere else for that matter, and can read French, there's an excellent site: http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/AXL/ (home page), http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/AXL/europe/belgiqueacc.htm (for Belgium) )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 30th, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #535
Road_UK
BANNED

Language laws doesn't apply when the actual place name is abroad. In this case Trier, which is in Germany. In Flanders they will have place names in France in French as well: Rijsel (Lille), Parijs (Paris) etc. Only names within Belgium are in local language only.
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #536
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Language laws doesn't apply when the actual place name is abroad. In this case Trier, which is in Germany. In Flanders they will have place names in France in French as well: Rijsel (Lille), Parijs (Paris) etc. Only names within Belgium are in local language only.
Which is what I was trying to say, albeit long-windedly....
EDIT: To be clearer, my point was that Belgium doesn't seem, in German-speaking areas (or French-with-German-"facilities" areas), to follow its own rules as consistently as it does in the hypersensitive interplay between French and Dutch. I wasn't drawing this conclusion from Piotr's photos of signs to Trier; I was trying to remark on something I'd already noticed in other contexts.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 30th, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #537
DanielFigFoz

There is much less of a conflict with German than with Dutch, mainly beacuse there are much less German speaking Belgians
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #538
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
There is much less of a conflict with German than with Dutch, mainly beacuse there are much less German speaking Belgians
Conflict? There is no conflict. Language wars just doesn't make any sense, and they just need to grow up. As I said before, fighting a language war on road signs is childish and out of this time. And seeing that Brussels is in Belgium, it gives a bad signal to voters in the European Union.
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #539
DanielFigFoz

Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it doesn't exist
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #540
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

On Corsica island, city names generally are indicated in French and Corsican.
French names are often sprayed over.

Corvinus no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage