daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #581
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Cannot find the photo at google but today in the N-II near my city I found a signal about do not throw lit cigarrettes in Portuguese, Dutch and German.

I suppose I missed the one before in Spanish, French and English.

The question is why not in Italian... the most important number of tourist in the city is Italian... but this road depends of the ministry (if depending of the municipality, be sure that only in English and Italian, according with number of visitors).

And the second question is... the road was the N-II and has parallel the A-2 free tolled. All long trips will cross A-2. The road I took is used only for a industry area and some villages... but they have signals in several languages!!!!!!

Have found!!!!!

Here in Spanish, English and French

http://maps.google.es/?ll=41.647126,...24.26,,0,19.37

a little later in German, Dutch and Portuguese

http://maps.google.es/?ll=41.646605,...68.48,,0,22.39

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM   #582
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Are their bilingual place-name signs on Mallorca island?
I heard about it but cannot remember. When visited Mallorca in 1999 I only saw signs in Catalan, not in Spanish at the entrances of villages and towns.
I don't know about road names in towns.

Last edited by Hanno1983; October 3rd, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Hanno1983 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #583
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

There is no dutch on that sign. Looks like a romance language to me.
DarkLoki no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM   #584
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Italian.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #585
Advancer

Likes (Received): 23

Some years a go I was on vacation in the area around Roquebrune-sur-Argens but on entering the village I saw that It also had a non-french name Rocobruno or something like that , I assume it is italian , I find that interesting because the village isn't particular close to Italy.
Edit:
I already found it, it's Occitan
Advancer no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #586
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
Are their bilingual place-name signs on Mallorca island?
I heard about it but cannot remember. When visited Mallorca in 1999 I only saw signs in Catalan, not in Spanish at the entrances of villages and towns.
I don't know about road names in towns.

In any site of Spain there is an only one "official" name for towns, cities, streets, etc...

The general criteria is to use the official name only. And at Balearic Islands they are official only in Catalan.

This changes several things too. For example... Spain are 17 autonomous regions (and 2 autonomous cities). The official name for this region es "Illes Balears" and now you will see it in a lot of international maps.
Island names are the same except Ibiza, which official name is Eivissa.

Airport name is also in Catalan: Son Sant Joan (something like "The St. John's")

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM   #587
Hanno1983

Quote:
In any site of Spain there is an only one "official" name for towns, cities, streets, etc...

The general criteria is to use the official name only. And at Balearic Islands they are official only in Catalan.

This changes several things too. For example... Spain are 17 autonomous regions (and 2 autonomous cities). The official name for this region es "Illes Balears" and now you will see it in a lot of international maps.
Island names are the same except Ibiza, which official name is Eivissa.

Airport name is also in Catalan: Son Sant Joan (something like "The St. John's")
Thank you very much for your answer.
Your description is identical to my memories about Mallorca.
But in the Comunitat Valenciana I remember a very mixed linguistic situation. I saw signs in Catalan (Valencian) despite (older?) signs in Spanish and bilingual signs.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM   #588
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer.
Your description is identical to my memories about Mallorca.
But in the Comunitat Valenciana I remember a very mixed linguistic situation. I saw signs in Catalan (Valencian) despite (older?) signs in Spanish and bilingual signs.

"Comunitat Valenciana" is also in Catalan (in Spanish will be "Comunidad Valenciana").
Unique names apply also there.
A different thing is that at Catalonia you will see road signals always in Catalan, most of them at Balearic Islands but bilingual at C.Valenciana.

Old October 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #589
Hanno1983

Quote:
"Comunitat Valenciana" is also in Catalan (in Spanish will be "Comunidad Valenciana").
Unique names apply also there.
A different thing is that at Catalonia you will see road signals always in Catalan, most of them at Balearic Islands but bilingual at C.Valenciana.
So did I understand right that there are bilingual signs in the Valencia Region even though Spanish ones aren't official?
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #590
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

When I say "official" is only referred to a "name" (steet, city, etc...).

A signal about warning it is not official and SHOULD be bilingual at least (or having a picture very clear).

In most of cases inside Spain you will find the "official" name of the city even if it is not used there. This is, cities from Basque country, north Navarra, Galicia, Catalonia, C.Valenciana, etc... will appear in their own language everywhere (and all maps will have only that name or bilingual).
In those regions, cities located outside their territories will be in the official name, even if they have a translation.

Old October 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #591
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.725845...239.92,,1,8.86

In Cannock, in the West Midlands Urban Area
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #592
Hanno1983

Quote:
When I say "official" is only referred to a "name" (steet, city, etc...).

A signal about warning it is not official and SHOULD be bilingual at least (or having a picture very clear).

In most of cases inside Spain you will find the "official" name of the city even if it is not used there. This is, cities from Basque country, north Navarra, Galicia, Catalonia, C.Valenciana, etc... will appear in their own language everywhere (and all maps will have only that name or bilingual).
In those regions, cities located outside their territories will be in the official name, even if they have a translation.
OK. But what about cities signed "Xàbia/Jávea" in the Comunitat Valenciana? Are both names official?
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #593
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.725845...239.92,,1,8.86

In Cannock, in the West Midlands Urban Area
That's nothing special. On the continent you'll find signs in English directing to allied cemetaries.
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=cemetar...2,10.3,,2,5.51
aswnl no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #594
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
OK. But what about cities signed "Xàbia/Jávea" in the Comunitat Valenciana? Are both names official?

Wow!, the topic is difficult to explain...

Let's resume: official name is... BOTH.

This is, in any official document it must appear "Jávea / Xàbia" (in this order and with the / between them).

This are, for example, results for municipality elections last may in the Spanish Interior ministry web page

http://elecciones.mir.es/resultados2....htm?d=936&e=0

At Navarra there are too some towns and cities with a bilingual official name. For example, official name of Pampelune is "Pamplona - Iruñea".

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #595
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

So it's like Biel/Bienne
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #596
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

But also - if I understand correctly - there are areas of the Comunitat Valenciana (away from the coast) and of Navarra (the south and east) which are completely Castilian-speaking, and only Castilian is official in those areas.

There's a fascinating site, on this sort of thing, for those who read French. Here are the relevant pages:

http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/europe...evalencien.htm
http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/europe/espagnenavarre.htm

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #597
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But also - if I understand correctly - there are areas of the Comunitat Valenciana (away from the coast) and of Navarra (the south and east) which are completely Castilian-speaking, and only Castilian is official in those areas.

Yeah (I must say I am not sure).

For example, Tudela (second Navarra city, located in the south) is in the not-Basque speaking area. Translation would be Tutera but I have never read it in signals.

I should have to check but as far as I know, the only name for that city is Tudela, even when it has a translation to the second official language in his region.

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #598
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

There's a fascinating site, on this sort of thing, for those who read French. Here are the relevant pages:

http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/europe...evalencien.htm
http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/europe/espagnenavarre.htm
You're right. Yes, it's a mess. Here comes another of my long posts, for those who are interested:

First of all, the current autonomous region called Comunitat Valenciana does not match up with the old Kingdom of Valencia. For instance, the comarca (region) of Requena-Utiel was taken from Castile in the 19th century when the provinces were made. Caudet/Caudete, which had traditionally been part of the Kingdom of Valencia, was left outside the province of Alicante.

Here is a map showing the borders in 1340:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...na_en_1340.png
(Jumilla became a part of the Crown of Castile in 1358)

Second, some comarcas of the Kingdom of Valencia were repopulated during the Reconquista with Castilian-speaking and Aragonese-speaking peoples from Aragon, called xurros in Valencian/Catalan. These comarcas are therefore called comarques xurres or comarcas churras:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ues_xurres.png

Regarding Navarre, there are in fact many areas (in fact most of the region) where Basque is not spoken. In some areas (for instance, the area around Tudela or the northern riverside of the Ebro) it has never been spoken, while in other areas it was lost centuries ago (for instance the area around Pamplona/Iruña). Funnyly enough, Basque was spoken during the middle ages in the Oja Valley, located in my region, La Rioja (whose name comes precisely from Río Oja - Oja River), and even the Tirón Valley in the province of Burgos. This is because these valleys were repopulated with Basques during the Reconquista. Fortunately, these areas are not claimed by the same Basque nationalists who want the never-Basque-speaking city of Tudela in Navarre.

Something similar happens in Biscay (yes, you read it right!) and Álava/Araba. In the first, there are some municipalities in the westernmost Encartaciones which have never been Basque speaking: Valmaseda, Lanestosa, Trucios, Carranza and Arcentales. Those municipalities are in fact quite close to the core of the Kingdom of Castile, i.e., the Valley of Mena. However, their official names are sometimes only the ones which are adapted to the Basque spelling, sometimes both versions: Balmaseda, Lanestosa, Trucios-Turtzioz, Valle de Carranza-Karrantza Harana and Artzentales.

In Álava/Araba, there are three different parts:
1) From Vitoria-Gasteiz to the North, which is Basque-speaking and Basque-looking, i.e. hamlets on green hills. 2) From Vitoria-Gasteiz to the Sierra de Cantabria (not to be confused with the Cantabrian Mountains), where Basque still lasted several centuries. And 3) From the Sierra de Cantabria to the Ebro river, where Basque is not spoken at all, but nevertheless some official names contain the Basque version or if there is none, the adapted-to-the-Basque-spelling version: Villabuena de Álava/Eskuernaga, Yécora/Iekora, Oyón-Oion, Lanciego/Lantziego and Baños de Ebro/Mañueta.
Cicerón no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #599
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
That's nothing special. On the continent you'll find signs in English directing to allied cemetaries.
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=cemetar...2,10.3,,2,5.51
Yes but on the continet a lot of people can speak English
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #600
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Those signs are not meant for all people...
aswnl no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage