daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #641
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriatuus View Post
For those who say that there are no bilingual roadsigns in Hungary, you may want to see this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pennyjey/5072042501/
These are not traffic signs, it's just name of the street/square.

Such signs are also in Slovakia and many more countries:

Qwert no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #642
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

It is not on roads. It is located in one judges on my city... but, can we find a pannel in a public administration building with so many different languages?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:15 AM   #643
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
On Corsica island, city names generally are indicated in French and Corsican.
French names are often sprayed over.

Most city names in Corsica are actually in Italian, not French.
Brice no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:11 AM   #644
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It is not on roads. It is located in one judges on my city... but, can we find a pannel in a public administration building with so many different languages?

Hmm. Whoever made that sign may think they wrote in English and French on it, but they're mistaken....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM   #645
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1038

Qwert, sorry for my confusing...
Viriatuus está en línea ahora  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM   #646
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Milica (should be Policija)

http://maps.google.fr/maps?saddr=46....sz=13&t=m&z=13
hofburg no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:42 AM   #647
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Hmm. Whoever made that sign may think they wrote in English and French on it, but they're mistaken....
The Portuguese is a bit strange as well, it should say "Zona de Segurança-Entrada Proibida"
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #648
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Milica or Milicija was used in former YU, so this should be an old sign.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM   #649
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
And the Greek translation is not very well done, too.

As it is on the sign it is meant: zone of the security - noone entry. It should be better to state: ΑΣΦΑΛΗΣ ΖΩΝΗ - ΑΠΑΓΟΡΕΥΕΤΑΙ Η ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ.

Last edited by ea1969; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
ea1969 no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #650
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
And the Greek translation is not very well done, too.

As it is on the sign it is meant: zone of the security - noone entry. It should be better to state: ΑΣΦΑΛΗΣ ΖΩΝΗ - ΑΠΑΓΟΡΕΥΕΤΑΙ Η ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ.

to everybody... it is a pity but I do not save a photo I made to a bilingual????? signs on city taxis... because any on-line traslator made it better.

And I am sure that no one in that administration speaks any foreing language. But it is easy to use your time at work and try to put in ten or twenty languages a signal...

Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #651
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Correct German translation should be "Sicherheitszone - Kein Zutritt!"
Hanno1983 no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #652
Hanno1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
One of the worst things that can happen to signage is bilinguality. Sometimes it is necessary because of different writing systems, but it adds to clutter. Signs do preferably have no more than six destinations on them. With two languages, this reduces the amount of destinations to three. Especially at complicated situations, the last thing you want is a load of clutter due to bilingual signs. Signage needs to be pragmatic and above language politics as in Ireland or Belgium.
Yes, that is an important point. I agree.
But the main problem is the political issue. If i am right southern regions of Slovakia are Hungarian-speaking for centuries. So the question is whether Slovakian names have got any historical roots or were introduced only because of political reasons.
Today, I think because of political reasions it is impossible to replace Slovakian names by Hungarian on Slovak territory like it was done in Catalonia for example (Spanish replaced by Catalan). So bilingual signs are the only possible solution for Hungarian-speaking regions in Slovakia.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #653
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
So the question is whether Slovakian names have got any historical roots or were introduced only because of political reasons.

Today, I think because of political reasions it is impossible to replace Slovakian names by Hungarian on Slovak territory like it was done in Catalonia for example (Spanish replaced by Catalan). So bilingual signs are the only possible solution for Hungarian-speaking regions in Slovakia.
Some yes, some no. Some municipalities were renamed by historical persons - Štúrovo, Hamuliakovo, Kolárovo, Hurbanovo etc. After 1989 were plebiscites in most of that municipalities with question whether inhabitants (mostly Hungarians) want to change the name of settlement on historical - e.g. Kolárovo - Guta (Guta), Štúrovo - Parkan (Párkány), Hamuliakovo - Gútor (Gutor), Hurbanovo - Stará Ďala (Óg*****) etc. Suprisingly, inhabitants said NO (AFAIK, the only change was made in Tornaľa - in 1948-1990 named Šafárikovo). People don't want any changes. When they speak Hungarian, they call this settlements by original Hungarian name (Guta, Párkány, Gutor, Óg*****), when speaking Slovak - call them by offical Slovak names. And there's no problem.

"Problem" of bilinguality in southern Slovakia is exaggerated by nationalistic groups like this which put this sign near by road no. 63. This group has 1500 "fans" on Facebook, most of them does not have a Slovak citizenship. They are from Hungary. So people from Hungary are dissatisfied, that in Slovakia is not bilingual direction signage

Hungarians living in Slovakia have standard rights, as well as other nationalities. And most of them are aware of it. They could speak Hugarian on municipality office, all regulations issued by municipality are in Slovak and also in Hungarian, etc., etc.

Municipalities with at least 15% inhabitants with non-Slovak nationality must be signed by bilingual road sign - at begining and at the end of municipality.

Road signs are not ethnographic signs. 99% of drivers absolutely don't care what is the Hungarian name of municipality. And so - this signs are sufficient. Most of Slovaks know only Slovak names, Hungarians living in Slovakia know both names and foreigners - they are usually navigated by GPS or by maps where are written only official names (Slovak).
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM   #654
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by viedumonde View Post
Haha.. it doesnt happen. We automatically look at the script we know. And many people in delhi know atleast 3 of these 4 scripts.
Those indian scripts are so different that you could hardly miss searching one you know. However logotype of road agency (I presume) on top of the sign and pin code on the bottom is completely unnecessary.
keber no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM   #655
Hanno1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post
"Problem" of bilinguality in southern Slovakia is exaggerated by nationalistic groups like this which put this sign near by road no. 63. This group has 1500 "fans" on Facebook, most of them does not have a Slovak citizenship. They are from Hungary. So people from Hungary are dissatisfied, that in Slovakia is not bilingual direction signage
I agree. This point applies only to Slovak citizens not to Hungarian people.
Maybe to Hungarian state if it is protecting power for Hungarian-peaking people of Slovakia (like Austria for German-speaking South Tirolians in Italy).
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM   #656
Maks33

Likes (Received): 874

Quote:

Russian translation is not correct too. It would be "ЗОНА БЕЗОПАСНОСТИ - ВХОД ВОСПРЕЩЁН".
Maks33 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #657
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

I must say that at least, Spanish text is correct (be sure that sometimes you can find any mistake in this signs)

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #658
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Italian translation is hilarious: "Ha proibito il punto" means "He forbade the point"
Correct translation would be "vietato l'accesso".
g.spinoza no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #659
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Those indian scripts are so different that you could hardly miss searching one you know. However logotype of road agency (I presume) on top of the sign and pin code on the bottom is completely unnecessary.
Its not the road agency, its the name and symbol of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (the oversmart capital district) But I guess the pincode is not necessary
viedumonde no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #660
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Italian translation is hilarious: "Ha proibito il punto" means "He forbade the point"
Correct translation would be "vietato l'accesso".
It looks like someone used Google Translate.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage