daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #801
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

I still believe that for countries like mine should be used one universal(for all road signs) signage. Today the most common language is English, so lets use it.
And for tourists, there is no problem, because in Bulgaria the majority of the tourists are from Russia,UK,Scandinavia,Greece and a bit Germans.
Russians read perfectly Bulgarian signs, all of the rest are ok with the Eng. translation.
One other thing that pisses me off is that we use as a direction to other country the last possible village or town in Bulgaria, but not mentioning the big city in the neighboring country. For example we use Kulata instead ot Солун/Thessaloniki in Bg/Eng. Or Svilengrad insted of Istambul....It's like this from Soviet times.
I hope they(authorities) change this way of signing.

And the Latin should be dropped out..
ENG LATIN
Sofia Sofiya
Bulgaria Bulgariya
Dolph no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #802
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In Spain, if more than one languages it is usual to write in English and French... but you can find it in other languages... as Portuguese (think that every Portuguese has to cross Spain to go anywhere).

It is not common to see different languages as well international pics do not require them.

The exemptions can be found near French or Portuguese border with signals only Spanish/French or Spanish/Portuguese (for instance texts like "this way only for trucks" written in Spanish and French only... just besides a border)

In the case of tourism, of course English is almost everywhere... but where I have been on holidays for a lot of years, people on resorts learnt before French rather than English, just because many more tourists from France (and money is money)

What it was surprised for me was finding airports at Canary Islands all of them in Spanish, English and German with no exemptions (in official signals) and it is not the only one...
Normally, almost all of them, in Spanish and English (and second official language like Basque, Galician, Catalan... if apply)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #803
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
And the Latin should be dropped out..
ENG LATIN
Sofia Sofiya
Bulgaria Bulgariya
Isn't the Latin transliteration of "България" Balgari(y)a? And I've never seen Sofiya on signs. Sofija would be ok (that's how we call it), but it's a Slavic transliteration, not English.

Last edited by Verso; September 7th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Verso no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #804
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Are Portuguese and Spanish close enough that you can read Portuguese and understand it even if you haven't studied it? (Does anyone in Spain study it, for that matter?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #805
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Isn't the Latin transliteration of "България" Balgari(y)a? And I've never seen Sofiya on signs. Sofija would be ok (that's how we call it), but it's a Slavic transliteration, not English/Germanic/Western.
I believe there is a law(in BG) not to use J but Y when translating into Latin,long story .........tensions with Serbia in the past if I'm not mistaken.
The correct Latin translation of Bulgaria should be B'lgarija......."nice"
Dolph no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #806
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are Portuguese and Spanish close enough that you can read Portuguese and understand it even if you haven't studied it? (Does anyone in Spain study it, for that matter?)

Yes, they are close enought... but also enough differences to have to know both languages to a full understanding.

In Spain there are no many places to study Portuguese, but someones you can find. As an example... in my University it was able to study several languages as a grade complement where including Portuguese as one of them.
But I think that in all the city (5th in Spain but far away from Portugal) there is no other place to study it.

In north-west Spain it is spoken Galician which is very, very, very close to Portuguese.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #807
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Let's have some Jamaican English in Bulgaria then. A little bit of Carribean culture in a Slavic country...
Already happened

Last edited by piotr71; September 7th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #808
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Yeah, spoken word is harder for one to understand the other though, although there are large enough differences for bilingual signage to make sence in some situations. I think that they Portuguese is part of the curriculum in the region of Extremadura. I think that most students in Portugal learn Spanish near the border too, in places like Elvas
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #809
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Yeah, spoken word is harder for one to understand the other though, although there are large enough differences for bilingual signage to make sence in some situations. I think that they Portuguese is part of the curriculum in the region of Extremadura. I think that most students in Portugal learn Spanish near the border too, in places like Elvas

Have checked several web pages to have a look to student's curriculum on schools and high schools and only French and English are considered. If the school wants can offer also German, but very often only English and French (you need too many students to offer three languages in a school).

It is possible to have a bilingual school. In my region they started making someones and now stopped because no money but those created still remains. In those of them, 50% of subjects are in Spanish and 50% in the language the school decided (almost all of them English, but in my region there are several ones 50% French and one for German).
Being a country that has not as many languages culture as other European countries I think it is too much starting in that system with 3 years old kids.

Apart of that... all schools that want, can offer extra subjects or activities... and schools in Extremadura can offer Portuguese (I have read that 70% students of Portuguese live there).

In Spain it exists the "Language official school". Six courses and you receive the equivalent of a B2 language title, standarized in Europe. And it is a official grade (with an university career and that B2 title you can be a high school teacher)

I have read that all, all those schools offer Portuguese for any students

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #810
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
(you need too many students to offer three languages in a school)
Or have a law that obliges them (in Italian-speaking Switzerland, these are French, German and English, in Graubünden German is mandatory for Italian speakers and viceversa). What is the situation in Belgium, especially in the German-speaking part (that interests me, as in percentage they are similar to Italian and Romansh speakers in Switzerland)?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #811
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Law just only obligue to learn a foreing language... not necessary English but chosen by almost all students (the only case I know of a mate with my same age who did not chosen English was because his mother is German. He studied always English and German but in last course, where exam marks are important to go to University, he decided German because he was bilingual)

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #812
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Or have a law that obliges them (in Italian-speaking Switzerland, these are French, German and English, in Graubünden German is mandatory for Italian speakers and viceversa). What is the situation in Belgium, especially in the German-speaking part (that interests me, as in percentage they are similar to Italian and Romansh speakers in Switzerland)?
The German-speaking part of Belgium is autonomous - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-...ity_of_Belgium - so German is the language of schooling, if that's what you're asking.

My understanding (as a foreigner who pays attention to the country) of what languages are taught is:
in Dutch-speaking areas, French is the first foreign language, then English; others are an option.
in Brussels (which is legally bilingual - French/Dutch - but each of those two language groups has its own schools), the first foreign language taught is the other national language (Dutch in French-speaking schools and vice-versa), with English next.
in French-speaking areas, the local authorities get to choose whether Dutch or English will be the first foreign language; the other is taught next. I think most places choose Dutch. There may be some areas in the east where German's first.
Not sure about German-speaking areas.
The inconsistencies from one region to the next are because this is now under "community" rather than Federal jurisdiction.

Everything you could ever want to know about Belgian language laws - if you read French - here: http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/europe/belgiqueacc.htm

For what it's worth: notwithstanding the U.S.'s reputation for not caring about foreign languages, my suburban, 1,500-student, public high school 30-odd years ago offered Spanish, French, German, Italian, I think another one I'm forgetting, and Latin.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #813
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
For what it's worth: notwithstanding the U.S.'s reputation for not caring about foreign languages, my suburban, 1,500-student, public high school 30-odd years ago offered Spanish, French, German, Italian, I think another one I'm forgetting, and Latin.

Should have to check current system but in Spain I had one year of Latin mandatory when 16 years old. Later, with 17 and 18 Latin and Greek were optionnel.

In the University of my city there is one career for Latin and Greek (both together).

Apart of that, in the university language institute it is possible to study "current Greek" (not classical Greek)

Old September 8th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #814
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

In the Basque Country most of the signs are bilingual, in the Southern Basque Country (Spain) they're usually in Basque and Spanish, with the exception of toponyms of towns, which normally are only in Basque. In the Northern Basque Country (France) however, only the signs about towns and cities are bilingual (Basque and French), the rest are only in French (there are some exceptions though).

These traffic signs near Bilbao (Southern Basque Country, Spain) are bilingual:

This one says Kontuz/Atención - Gogora ezazu/Recuerde (Basque and Spanish for "Attention - Remember")

[IMG]http://i49.************/23jfqs8.png[/IMG]

This one is also in both languages:

[IMG]http://i48.************/2nbfuw7.png[/IMG]

Now, here's one from the Northern Basque Country, near Hendaye (in France), it's a not very common sign, as not only it includes info about towns in both French and Basque, but also about some other locations (which is not very frequent in France):

[IMG]http://i50.************/346st28.png[/IMG]

Finally this one near Vitoria (Southern Basque Country, Spain) includes text in Arabic:

[IMG]http://i46.************/2r3azhk.png[/IMG]
Metred no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #815
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
I believe there is a law(in BG) not to use J but Y when translating into Latin,long story .........tensions with Serbia in the past if I'm not mistaken.
The correct Latin translation of Bulgaria should be B'lgarija......."nice"
Yes, you are mistaken.

J is not a good letter to transliterate that sound/glide, as it can mean different sounds in different languages. Y is always in most languages the same.
pobre diablo no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #816
pobre diablo
BANNED

Quote:
Isn't the Latin transliteration of "България" Balgari(y)a? And I've never seen Sofiya on signs. Sofija would be ok (that's how we call it), but it's a Slavic transliteration, not English.
"Sofia" and "Bulgaria" are exempt from the transliteration rules as Sofiya and Balgariya just look awful.
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #817
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Y is always in most languages the same.
Well... It is not.
MattiG está en línea ahora  
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #818
pobre diablo
BANNED

Well, in the most important languages it is. Case closed.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #819
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Well... It is not.
Other than being pronounced also as "i" (ee), how else can it be pronounced (and in which language(s))?
Verso no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #820
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Other than being pronounced also as "i" (ee), how else can it be pronounced (and in which language(s))?
For instance like the German Ü, as in the Scandinavian languages, in Finnish, and in German.

The pronunciation may vary, like in the German words "typisch" and "Hymne".
MattiG está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage