daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1001
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1040

Both Luik and Ličge, as Lüttich as well, are names of the city. And all of them quite old.

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1002
piotr71

Del
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1003
piotr71

But none of them could be taken as native. In Ličge, autochthons speak French.

Last edited by piotr71; June 16th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1004
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Unfortunately spelled as Nimwegen, where it shoud be Nijmegen.
Why unfortunately? In the local dialect it's "Nimwegen" as well...

"Nimwegen" is the native name, Nijmegen, Nimegue, Nimega, etc. are exonyms
Proterra no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1005
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

City names are not spelled according to archaic spelling or dialect names. Fortunately the signs say Amsterdam and not Amstelredam or Mokum.

There is no need to make signs unnecessary cluttering by using double names, unofficial names, italics, brackets, or seeing them as an outing of politics.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1006
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Fair enough - but my point was that "Nimwegen" is not an exonym. It's neither an obsolete way of spelling as those would be "Nieuwmeghen", "Numaga" or "Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum" depending on how far back in history you go.

And about using different forms of the place name, isn't this the thing going on in Europe for already a long time? "Góra Świętej Anny" is double signed as "Sankt Annaberg", in northern Poland you'll find plenty of places with Polish/Kashubian, and in Eastern Germany you'll find places with German/Sorbian (a Polish dialect, about as far from Polish as Limburgish is from Dutch)

Speaking about Limburgish, which I believe the dialect in Nijmegen is related to, you'll find in the southern Netherlands places signed in both spellings, such as "Roermond" as "Remunj" and "Kerkrade" as "Kirchroa".

So, personally, in the case of Nijmegen I don't see the problem that it's signed like that in Germany, as it's both the endonym for the city as well as the German name for it. It would of course be different if they would start signing "Den Haag" as "Haag" or "Den Bosch" as "Herzogenbusch"
Proterra no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1007
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

You are referring to city limit signs, which do not have the same function as directional signage.

Exonyms are an outdated concept from times where we hardly crossed borders and we didn't know any foreign languages. The far majority of foreign city names do not have exonyms. Some exonyms are dying out and only important ones will likely remain (such as capitals and cities with great historic or tourist significance).

Especially in football the endonyms are much more often used than exonyms. In the Netherlands we talk of Paris-Saint-Germain or Bayern München or AS Roma, not Parijs, Beieren or Rome.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1008
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Bayer Monaco, Rapid Vienna, Dinamo Zagabria, Stella Rossa, etc... are frequently used in Italian.
italystf no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1009
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Bayer Monaco, Rapid Vienna, Dinamo Zagabria, Stella Rossa, etc... are frequently used in Italian.
I think it's interesting that in English Bayern Munich is the normal term for the club, but Barvaria Munich is never used, and Bayern Muenchen is very rare.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1010
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

It's matter of opinion of course... but I'm pretty sure that there is no language where Newcastle, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires are translated and all of them can be translated

(Newcastle obviously the same in English, January River, St. Paul and Good Airs)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #1011
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
So, personally, in the case of Nijmegen I don't see the problem that it's signed like that in Germany, as it's both the endonym for the city as well as the German name for it.
It is a problem. Outside Nijmegen none uses Nimwegen, and signage should be people who are not familiair with the area of other names, but simply want to go to a city. And since 99,99% of all Dutch roadmaps (and surely navigation systems as well) show Nijmegen, that how it should be put on signage, not anything else.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1012
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Or trademark... I buy slovenian (food)=Kupujem slovensko
In Slovak language, this literally means: "I buy Slovakia" And "slovenka" means "slovak woman".

But turning the topic back on.

I'd personally prefer the original name of the city on traffic signs. The only exception could be the case of different alphabet or script. Then the transcription could be a good decision.

This model is (except Ukrainian names) valid in Slovakia. Thus we have "Wien", "Budapest", "Miskolc", "Kittsee", "Kraków" instead of "Viedeň", "Budapešť", "Miškovec", "Kopčany" or "Krakov".

Perhaps, the most user friendly is used in Hungary (which have in my opinion the best traffic sign system I've ever seen). Hungarian alternative is displayed beside the original name. But this might be a little contraproductive e.g. you are driving towards Kassa and just after having passed the border-crossing, Kassa direction disappears.

Basically, to avoid confusions on road, uniform system should be introduced in Europe
volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #1013
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
In Slovak language, this literally means: "I buy Slovakia"
How much?
Verso no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1014
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
How much?
Not sure, but I guess not much.
volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1015
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It's matter of opinion of course... but I'm pretty sure that there is no language where Newcastle, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires are translated and all of them can be translated

(Newcastle obviously the same in English, January River, St. Paul and Good Airs)
In Italian is San Paolo.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Paolo_%28citt%C3%A0%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I think it's interesting that in English Bayern Munich is the normal term for the club, but Barvaria Munich is never used, and Bayern Muenchen is very rare.
Same here, nobody says "Baviera Monaco" but always "Bayern Monaco" or simply "Bayern". Don't know the reason why Muenchen is translated but Bayern isn't.
On the countrary, there are two major Italian teams named after the English name of the city: Milan and Genoa. That's because football was introduced in Italy by Brits at the end of the XIX century and many important teams were founded back then. Initially football was popular only in Northwest Italy so there were small towns like Casale Monferrato that won several national championshpis!

Last edited by italystf; June 17th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
italystf no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1016
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Like no one in Italy says "Inter Milan" but just "Inter".
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1017
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Like no one in Italy says "Inter Milan" but just "Inter".
In England the two Milan teams are commonly known just as Milan & Inter.
Fatfield no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1018
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

If only in Spain we had foreing cities written. Nevertheless the name (there are not many differences with French and Portuguese... but if only we had... instead of pointing just the number of kilometres to the border in most of cases)

off-topic. Related to football teams, in Spain almost half of them are called "real XXXXX". In fact they are known only two of them mainly like that: Real Madrid (to distinguise from Atletico Madrid) and Real Sociedad (team from San Sebastián, could be translated as Royal Society)

But Real Valladolid, Real Betis, Real Zaragoza, Real C.D. Espanyol, Real... and so on, maybe half of them have the name of Real (translated as Royal)

It was a honour given to some teams a long time ago. Not now.

When I watch an international match and see that a Spanish team is called only "real" I got amazed because that would be the name of half of the teams.

Except in some cases, you can say the name of the city to call the team

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1019
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Italians often confuse me when they use Internazionale. not once i thought "who the hack are these now?!"
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1020
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Italians often confuse me when they use Internazionale. not once i thought "who the hack are these now?!"
Until very recently, I didn't even know Inter's full name was Internazionale. It is never used.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage