daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1181
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
https://encrypted-tbn2.************/i...gTN-qHL8Pm9Vew

Classic McDonalds mistake in Scotland. Not even bilingual: monolingual, in a language that nobody can understand (there are more people in Scotland that speak Urdu than Gaelic).
I'm sure everyone can understand what that means, even non-scottish people at least, what it is supposed to mean, that is.
Vaud no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1182
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

It's just a welcome sign, it would be different if it was the menu... it's no mistake. I'm sure there are lots of shops with signs in English or French even in, say, Poland or Spain, where these languages aren't and weren't ever spoken...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1183
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is amusing how the name of the town is basically the same in all languages, but then, Magyar
There is some strange policy of Hungarian Minority Council in Vojvodina that Hungarian versions are kept as during Austia-Hungary, even though official name has been changed (example of Zrenjanin/Nagybecskerek). Here is example of Novi Kneževac (Нови Кнежевац), which was then know as Törökkanizsa (Turska Kanjiža literally "Turkish Kanjiža").

On the other side of the river Tisa/Tisza is Kanjiža/Magyarkanizsa (another pre-1918 name, literally "Hungarian Kanjiža"):

Alex_ZR no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #1184
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
There is some strange policy of Hungarian Minority Council in Vojvodina that Hungarian versions are kept as during Austia-Hungary, even though official name has been changed (example of Zrenjanin/Nagybecskerek).
They just got used to the old name. It's probably not the best example but nowadays the whole world uses the name Istanbul while the Greeks still refer to that city as Κωνσταντινούπολη.

And it often happens that the name of a village or town is completely different in the language of the people who live there. E.g. here's Pilisszentkereszt/Mlynky, a village in Hungary in the Pilis mountainous area with a significant Slovak minority. The Hungarian name can be translated to "Pilis holy cross" while the Slovak name is "little mill" or something like that (volodaaaa will correct me if I'm mistaking).

https://www.google.hu/maps/preview#!...4NJw!2e0&fid=5

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1185
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
They just got used to the old name. It's probably not the best example but nowadays the whole world uses the name Istanbul while the Greeks still refer to that city as Κωνσταντινούπολη.

And it often happens that the name of a village or town is completely different in the language of the people who live there. E.g. here's Pilisszentkereszt/Mlynky, a village in Hungary in the Pilis mountainous area with a significant Slovak minority. The Hungarian name can be translated to "Pilis holy cross" while the Slovak name is "little mill" or something like that (volodaaaa will correct me if I'm mistaking).

https://www.google.hu/maps/preview#!...4NJw!2e0&fid=5

It is in plural ("little mills") but you are right. There are many examples in Slovakia as well:

(SK) Kolárovo (Slovak poet) = (HU) Guta (name)
(SK former) Čalovo (name) = (HU) Nagymegyer (Great "Megyer) - renamed to "Veľký Meder" in 1990 with the same meaning as Hungarian.
(SK) Štúrovo (Slovak poet) = Párkány

Communists used to rename cities after some national artists or influential people and only Hungarian names seemed to resist that. Same goes for Bratislava (but it was not renamed in commies' times), formerly named Prešporok (probably derived from German Pressburg or Hungarian Pozsony). While in Hungary is Pozsony still official, in Germany I have not heard someone referring to Pressburg. Only some streets are named after Pressburg, but AFAIK it has something to do with "Treaty of Pressburg" signed in 1805.

We have also exonym for some Romanian cities, like Cluj-Napoca is Kluž or Oradea is Veľký Varadín. While in first case is Hungarian name more popular (Koložvár), the second one is often referred in Romanian form and it was few years ago, since I find out Oradea is Veľký Varadín.

nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora  
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #1186
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
It is in plural ("little mills") but you are right.
The funny thing is that I have a friend from there who is Hungarian/Polish/Slovak and currently lives in England

Btw. a few Germans also live in the village and they use the name Heiligenkreuz.

Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1187
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
The funny thing is that I have a friend from there who is Hungarian/Polish/Slovak and currently lives in England

Btw. a few Germans also live in the village and they use the name Heiligenkreuz.
I have no idea how was the name Mlynky established , but I think, Germans are little bit closer to the right translation

Last edited by volodaaaa; January 19th, 2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Pilisszentkereszt deserves image as well
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1188
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

It's interesting how the Republic of Serbia is translated to Hungarian and Slovak. In Hungarian - Szerbia Köztársaság (used in Hungary) or Szerb Köztársaság (used in Vojvodina) (compare to Republic of Srpska - Szerb Köztársaság and Republic of Hungary (old name) - Magyar Köztársaság, perhaps the best would be the one that is not used - Szerbország) and in Slovak Srbská republika (used in Slovakia) or Republika Srbsko (used in Vojvodina) (by comparison Republic of Srpska - Republika srbská and Republic of Slovakia - Slovenská republika).

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1189
Alex_ZR

This legislation in City of Zrenjanin territory is nonsense. Four languages are in official use at all territory (Zrenjanin+21 villages), no matter of ethnic composition. There are 93% of Serbs in Lukićevo, 0.43% Hungarians, 0.24% Slovaks and 0.14% Romanians living in the village. And we have this four-language-plate.
Don't get me wrong, I support using minority languages where there is reasonable percent of population. Legislation in which we must have plates in all official languages in all settlements, no matter who lives there is a waste of money.

bogdymol, volodaaaa liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1190
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

There are more Roma than Slovaks or Romanians in Zrenjanin yet their language is not used at all.

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1191
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
It's interesting how the Republic of Serbia is translated to Hungarian and Slovak. In Hungarian - Szerbia Köztársaság (used in Hungary) or Szerb Köztársaság (used in Vojvodina) (compare to Republic of Srpska - Szerb Köztársaság and Republic of Hungary (old name) - Magyar Köztársaság, perhaps the best would be the one that is not used - Szerbország) and in Slovak Srbská republika (used in Slovakia) or Republika Srbsko (used in Vojvodina) (by comparison Republic of Srpska - Republika srbská and Republic of Slovakia - Slovenská republika).
As I have mentioned before, Slovak language is indeed archaic in Vojvodina, even the word order. Therefore it is Republika Srbská in Vojvodina and Srbská republika in Slovak (My grandma had an old Czechoslovak map from 1921 and the title was "Republika Československá")

Also, Republika Srbská (or Srpska) in Slovak language is reserved for Republika Srpska in BiH.

The term "pokrajina" is also discussable, because is not Slovak at all. The term is translated as "kraj" in Slovak language. But I know, Slovaks in Serbia use "pokrajina" rather. We are all small nations here in central and eastern Europe, so it is normal we influence each other every day

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1192
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
As I have mentioned before, Slovak language is indeed archaic in Vojvodina, even the word order. Therefore it is Republika Srbská in Vojvodina and Srbská republika in Slovak (My grandma had an old Czechoslovak map from 1921 and the title was "Republika Československá")

Also, Republika Srbská (or Srpska) in Slovak language is reserved for Republika Srpska in BiH.
But they use Republika Srbsko - http://skupstinavojvodine.gov.rs/default.aspx?j=SK http://www.puma.vojvodina.gov.rs/ind...3n13o6dndvubn6

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1193
volodaaaa

Quote:
Sorry I misread it.

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #1194
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Does that change anything? Is Republika Srpsko less awkward than Republika Srbská?

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1195
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:

I've never heard "Szerbia Köztársaság".
Official name of "Republic of Serbia" in Hungarian is "Szerbia".
There is an old Hungarian name for Serbia: "Rácország"

"Republic of Srpska" = "Boszniai Szerb Köztársaság"

nbcee liked this post
zsimi80 no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1196
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post

"Republic of Srpska" = "Boszniai Szerb Köztársaság"
It says "Szerb Köztársaság". I guess it's equivalent of "Magyar Köztársaság" (until 2012).
Alex_ZR no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #1197
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
It's the form used officially in Hungary and apparently Belgrade authorities. "Szerb Köztársaság" is used in Vojvodina.

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szerbia
http://www.budapest.mfa.gov.rs/hun/

Quote:
Szerbia= Serbia, that excludes the part "Republic of" which is Köztársaság

Quote:
That's an equivalent of Raška. Pretty medieval stuff.

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1198
volodaaaa

Quote:
Does that change anything? Is Republika Srpsko less awkward than Republika Srbská?
Both sound ankward, but Republika Srbsko lesser (anyway it is peculiar). Republika Srbská is like "Republic Serbian" which is not grammatically correct, but is popular among media to refer political entity in BiH. (edit: even Slovak google uses it - http://goo.gl/maps/Q1zBN )

"Republika" often stands after the name "Česká republika", "Srbská republika", "Poľská republika", but we often omit using "republika", so Serbia is just "Srbsko".

Only in specific cases, if we want to stress that country we are talking about is republic and in cases, where adjective should sound ridiculous (two and more words), we put Republika before the name.

E.g.
Montenegro = Čierna Hora
Montenegrin Republic = Čiernohorská republika (I doubt if I ever heard something like that)
Montenegrin Republic = Republika Čierna Hora (fits perfectly)

Republika Srbsko a Čierna Hora was quite common, but since you have split, another word order is being used for Serbia here

Last edited by volodaaaa; January 19th, 2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: confuses adjective with pronoun :D
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #1199
Alex_ZR

In fact, in Slovak language names of countries mostly end with -sko (adjective).
Alex_ZR no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #1200
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
This legislation in City of Zrenjanin territory is nonsense. Four languages are in official use at all territory (Zrenjanin+21 villages), no matter of ethnic composition. There are 93% of Serbs in Lukićevo, 0.43% Hungarians, 0.24% Slovaks and 0.14% Romanians living in the village. And we have this four-language-plate.
Don't get me wrong, I support using minority languages where there is reasonable percent of population. Legislation in which we must have plates in all official languages in all settlements, no matter who lives there is a waste of money.
I prefer settlement-level too. Why? Your example is just one side of the coin. The other side is: When a country wants to f*@# with minorities it can mess with them using the territorial-level legislation as an excuse. I mean if the minorities of that country are concentrated to a few villages they can't reach significant levels in a county or district. Or the government could draw the boundaries of those districts in a way that it would make the minorities less significant.

For example Lórév/Ловра has a Serb majority but there are only ~300 people living in the village. So if Hungary would choose to use settlement-level legislation and we would look only at Ráckeve district (pop.: ~ 36 000 with a couple of hundreds of Serbs*) or Pest county** (pop.: ~1 230 000 with ~900-1600 Serbs) it would be a huge disadvantage for them. Luckily this isn't the case.

*Sorry I don't know the exact number as the districts were only re-created in 2011. I'll try to add the Serbs from the villages of the district if I can find appropriate data for this.
**Note that Budapest is not part of pest county.

Demigod of DLM

Alex_ZR, Sisimoto the HUN liked this post

Last edited by nbcee; January 20th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
nbcee no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage