daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1221
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Is that codified language or just dialect? I am just curious, because it is quite peculiar to have traffic signs in dialect :-D

volodaaaa no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1222
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
because apparently they never went further than Bovec
They probably consider it the capital of Slovenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Is that codified language or just dialect? I am just curious, because it is quite peculiar to have traffic signs in dialect :-D
Something inbetween.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resian_dialect
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #1223
bogdymol
bogdymod

That old joke with *******, Austria, now on video:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #1224
Verso
Islander

Croatian in Graz (A).

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44585246

Drive to the stop line to turn on green light!

High-tech stuff.
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #1225
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

why Croatian in Graz?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #1226
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Maybe it's an old sign from when Serbo-Croatian was the official language of the whole Yugoslavia. There's a sign in Gonars rest area written in Italian, English, German, French and... Croatian, with the old Yugoslavian flag next to the text in Croatian.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #1227
Verso
Islander

It looks like a new sign to me and I doubt they had automatic traffic lights back then. There are many Croats shopping in IKEA in Graz, I suppose (like many Slovenes).
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #1228
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It looks like a new sign to me and I doubt they had automatic traffic lights back then. There are many Croats shopping in IKEA in Graz, I suppose (like many Slovenes).

We wasted our slovenian sign today for good, with a hockey victory over Österreich
Broccolli no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1229
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Maybe it's an old sign from when Serbo-Croatian was the official language of the whole Yugoslavia.
It was just administrative (like German, French and Italian in the entire Switzerland). Slovenian was the only official language in Slovenia (like Romansh in parts of Switzerland).
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1230
Verso
Islander

This is a special linguistic issue. When Tina Maze gets a medal in skiing, her town Črna na Koroškem (literally "Black in Carinthia") changes its name for a few days.

"Black in Carinthia":

"Silver in Carinthia"

"Golden in Carinthia":

She won a second golden medal in the Olympic Games today, so...

And sometimes just:

Verso no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1231
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Maybe it's an old sign from when Serbo-Croatian was the official language of the whole Yugoslavia. There's a sign in Gonars rest area written in Italian, English, German, French and... Croatian, with the old Yugoslavian flag next to the text in Croatian.
this is definitely not serbo-croatian.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1232
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
this is definitely not serbo-croatian.
What's the definition of Serbo-Croatian? I though that Serbian and Croatian were basically the same language, apart few different words (like BrE and AmE, for example in UK they say motorway, in the USA freeway, in Croatia autocesta and in Serbia autoput) and, obviously, a different script. Was the old Serbo-Croatian a mixture of the modern Croatian and modern Serbian? Or the two languages started to differentiate some words after the breakup of Yugoslavia?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1233
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
What's the definition of Serbo-Croatian? I though that Serbian and Croatian were basically the same language, apart few different words (like BrE and AmE, for example in UK they say motorway, in the USA freeway, in Croatia autocesta and in Serbia autoput) and, obviously, a different script. Was the old Serbo-Croatian a mixture of the modern Croatian and modern Serbian? Or the two languages started to differentiate some words after the breakup of Yugoslavia?
serbo-croatian was official name of that language in SR Serbia and its standard was today's serbian. croato-serbian was name of that language in SR Croatia and its standard was today's croatian. however, that serbocroatian is quite a political issue and i don't like mentioning it too much, that's why i reacted so.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #1234
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
serbo-croatian was official name of that language in SR Serbia and its standard was today's serbian. croato-serbian was name of that language in SR Croatia and its standard was today's croatian. however, that serbocroatian is quite a political issue and i don't like mentioning it too much, that's why i reacted so.
I have "Czechoslovak-Serbocroatian" dictionary at home something for pure federalists

hofburg, theAK11 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:22 AM   #1235
Verso
Islander

I've always wondered why we don't sign "Poreč/Parenzo".

Verso no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:44 PM   #1236
Verso
Islander

http://goo.gl/maps/kZY37

This is a little confusing since Ogulin also happens to be the nearest Croatian town in direction Split.
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1237
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've always wondered why we don't sign "Poreč/Parenzo".
It must be a mistake because Porec\Parenzo and Pula\Pola have the same bilingual legal status.
Here (Opicina, Italy) they wrote Capodistria\Koper, Fiume\Rijeka but only Lubiana (without Ljubljana) and Pola (without Pula). Among these, only Capodistria\Koper and Pola\Pula are officially bilingual.
Here, they wrote Sezana only in Slovenian (it's Sesana in Italian). Sezana it's not a bilingual town but I think it's the only sign in Italy written only in a foreign language (if we exclude Villach since its Italian exonim, Villaco, is almost never used).
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:52 AM   #1238
italystf

I noticed that Austria never uses German exonims on its signs, just local names (no trace of Prag, Brunn, Pressburg, Marburg, Laibach and Weiden, I wonder if those are still used in everyday speech).

EDIT: among these, only Prag and Brunn are used on de.wikipedia, so other are probably archaic.
Only it.wikipedia keeps using Italian exonims even when they are never used anymore. Yes, we go to holiday to Parenzo, Pola or Fiume where also some Italians live. Or also to Zara or Spalato. But nobody say that he went to Lesina island (Hvar) or Capocesto (Primosten). And Ragusa is in Sicily, not in Dalmatia. And I never heard someone arriving in Greece with the ferry to Gomenizza , only to Igoumenitsa, but still, Italian wikipedia policies requires the use of all exonims even when they're ridiculous.

Last edited by italystf; February 22nd, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:11 AM   #1239
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4012

Quote:
I noticed that Austria never uses German exonims on its signs, just local names (no trace of Prag, Brunn, Pressburg, Marburg, Laibach and Weiden, I wonder if those are still used in everyday speech).

EDIT: among these, only Prag and Brunn are used on de.wikipedia, so other are probably archaic.
On de.wikipedia there are no exonims like Neusatz (Novi Sad), Maria-Theresiopel (Subotica) or Großbetschkerek (Zrenjanin). In case of Subotica there is a remark "Maria-Theresiopel - deutscher Name 1740–1918". However, names of the articles stay official.
Alex_ZR no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:38 AM   #1240
Verso
Islander

Quote:
It must be a mistake because Porec\Parenzo and Pula\Pola have the same bilingual legal status.
No, even this new sign only shows Poreč.

Quote:
Here (Opicina, Italy) they wrote Capodistria\Koper, Fiume\Rijeka but only Lubiana (without Ljubljana) and Pola (without Pula). Among these, only Capodistria\Koper and Pola\Pula are officially bilingual.
Probably because of similar names.

Quote:
Here, they wrote Sezana only in Slovenian (it's Sesana in Italian). Sezana it's not a bilingual town but I think it's the only sign in Italy written only in a foreign language (if we exclude Villach since its Italian exonim, Villaco, is almost never used).
There's a new sign only with Ljubljana on A4 by Villesse (for A34). Then there is this sign (Liubljana is in no language, of course), this sign shows Bovec (Plezzo) and Kranjska Gora (Monte Cragnisca), Breginj (Bergogna) and Kobarid (Caporetto), Gorjansko (Goriano), Lipica (Lipizza), Osp (Ospo), Socerb (San Servolo), Plavje (Plavia), Škofije (Scoffie), Kolomban (Colombano, which is even bilingual), I think I've also seen Kozina (without Cosina) and in Aosta they sign Bern (without Berna) and Lausanne (without Losanna).

Quote:
Marburg is widely used on signs (along with Maribor), Prag also sometimes (even without Praha) and there is one sign with Laibach/Ljubljana on A10 by Spittal and I think even Aßling/Jesenice on A11.

hofburg liked this post

Last edited by Verso; February 22nd, 2014 at 03:21 AM.
Verso no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage