daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:22 AM   #1241
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

this sign shows Bovec (Plezzo) and Kranjska Gora (Monte Cragnisca), Gorjansko (Goriano), Lipica (Lipizza), Osp (Ospo), Socerb (San Servolo), Plavje (Plavia), Kolomban (Colombano, which is even bilingual), I think I've also seen Kozina (without Cosina) .
Among these, Lipizza is the only one I usually heard. However, the Slovenian and Italian names have the same pronunciation. There's even the expression "cavalli lipizzani" (Lipica's horses) for the equine race. But also Lipica is found on some Italian texts.
Bovec and Kranjska Gora are quite well-known in Italy as touristic centres, but they are referred with Slovenian names even in Italy. Kranjska Gora was never under Italian rule so the Italian name is just made up (Gora is translated with Monte and Cragnisca it's probably a phonetic calque of Kranjska). Until today, I didn't even know we had an exonym for Kranjska Gora. It's comparable to Villaco (for Villach) or Oristagno (for Arnoldstein).
Other places (Gorjansko, Socerb, Osp, Plavje, Kolomban) are just villages, relevant only because they are border crossings (like Fernetti and Rabuiese, albeit less busy and more local). It's difficult to tell whether the Italian or Slovenian name is more common, since those places aren't mentioned that often.
On the other hand, it's extremely strange to hear an Italian saying or reading in an Italian text Koper, Piran, Izola, Portoroz, Umag, Porec, Rovinj, Opatja, Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, Split. Italian exonyms are always used. Dalmatian islands and small towns on the Dalmatian coast are instead only referred in Croatian, although they all have Italian exonyms.
I find very strange the sign with Kobarid only, since Caporetto is very famous in Italy for the WWI battle and almost nobody know Kobarid.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

hofburg liked this post
italystf no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:46 AM   #1242
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I find very strange the sign with Kobarid only, since Caporetto is very famous in Italy for the WWI battle and almost nobody know Kobarid.
And even Slovenija. Of those villages, Italians probably say Ospo (because of the river) and Colombano (because it's bilingual). I don't know about others.
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1243
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
I noticed that Austria never uses German exonims on its signs, just local names (no trace of Prag, Brunn, Pressburg, Marburg, Laibach and Weiden, I wonder if those are still used in everyday speech).

EDIT: among these, only Prag and Brunn are used on de.wikipedia, so other are probably archaic.
Only it.wikipedia keeps using Italian exonims even when they are never used anymore. Yes, we go to holiday to Parenzo, Pola or Fiume where also some Italians live. Or also to Zara or Spalato. But nobody say that he went to Lesina island (Hvar) or Capocesto (Primosten). And Ragusa is in Sicily, not in Dalmatia. And I never heard someone arriving in Greece with the ferry to Gomenizza , only to Igoumenitsa, but still, Italian wikipedia policies requires the use of all exonims even when they're ridiculous.
Exonyms are interesting issue. I still don't know how to take them. Somehow, the original names sounds better to me, but only in some cases.

Speaking of Pressburg, there are lot of streets in world named Pressburg street, but it is after Pressburg peace (signed in Bratislava/Pressburg), no after city itself.

Colloquially, i always use Zagreb, Graz, Györ, Pécs, Linz, Oradea, Thessaloniki, Szeged, Miskolc or Cluj-Napoca in my speech instead of well defined, rather archaic exonyms (Záhreb, Štajerský Hradec, Päťkostolie, Linec, Veľký Varadín, Solún, Segedín, Miškovec, Koložvár).

But I use Slovak exonyms for Paris, London or Belgrade at the same time.

Personally, I don't like using exonyms, because not every city is defined and it indeed sounds ridiculously to me to refer Viedeň, Štajerský Hradec, Hainburg or Wolfsthall at once .

volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1244
italystf

Quote:
No, even this new sign only shows Poreč.
Maybe Slovenian bilinguism law doesn't mandate the bilinguism for Croatian places signposted in Slovenia, so they choosed Porec that is more used internationally than Parenzo. But then, they should have skipped pola too to be consistent.
Is Pula the only city with a different name in Slovenian and Croatian (Pula\Pulj)?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1245
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Speaking of Pressburg, there are lot of streets in world named Pressburg street, but it is after Pressburg peace (signed in Bratislava/Pressburg), no after city itself.
Obviously old names are still used when commemorating historical events. It would be ridiculous to talk about the siege of Saint Petersburg or the battle of Volgograd during WWII.

volodaaaa liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:51 PM   #1246
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Is Pula the only city with a different name in Slovenian and Croatian (Pula\Pulj)?
We don't really use it though, we call it 'Pula'. We call Rijeka 'Reka' (like its inhabitants actually call it) and theoretically Karlovac is 'Karlovec' and Sisak 'Sisek' (and basically all other settlements with such an ending, but we don't really use it). Interestingly, there's a village called Gradac in Slovenia.
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1247
matija

Quote:
and theoretically Karlovac is 'Karlovec' and Sisak 'Sisek' (and basically all other settlements with such an ending, but we don't really use it).
Sisak and Karlovac were originally called Sisek and Karlovec in their native dialects as well, but the ending changed due to migrations of people (speakers who use the -ak/-ac endings became dominant). -ec is still pretty common in Central and Northern Croatia (Čakovec, Brdovec, Ivanec, etc.).

Quote:
Interestingly, there's a village called Gradac in Slovenia.
Looking at the map, the village seems to be located in Bela Krajina. The name could have been perhaps given by the Slavs who migrated there from the south-east (during the Ottoman onslaught).
matija no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM   #1248
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
We call Rijeka 'Reka' (like its inhabitants actually call it)

where the hack did you hear that?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1249
matija

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

where the hack did you hear that?
That's how the old natives of Rijeka used to call it (but not anymore). Some of them called it Reka, some Rika (the accent was on the last syllable, different than now).
matija no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1250
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17490

Some spanish signs in Brazil

xrtn2 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1251
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

no se adelante ( ????? )
VITORIA MAN no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #1252
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

WTF...

"no se adelante" = "do not overpass yourself"

"no adelante" = "do not overpass"

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1253
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

me ha hecho gracia la expresion
VITORIA MAN no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1254
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
Some spanish signs in Brazil
Are there some Spanish-speaking minorities there? Or are them near the border with a Spanish-speaker country?
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #1255
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

to my best knowledge, they aren't.

When they speak in Spanish it is quite easy to guess if it is a Portuguese or Brazilian who speaks, either if his mother language is the same. Portuguese are quite used to hear and use Spanish, Brazilians not so much even if almost all neighbour countries use that language.

I always remember a long time ago a Portuguese footballer who, speaking in Spanish, had an accuracy almost perfect and no accent. Later, any Brazilian one... is often to have a translator for first months either if languages are so close.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #1256
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Portuguese are quite used to hear and use Spanish.
Not so sure about that.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #1257
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
WTF...

"no se adelante" = "do not overpass yourself"

"no adelante" = "do not overpass"
Johny, la gente esta mi loca, wtf

volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1258
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Billingual sign (Serbian and Slovak) in Aradac, Vojvodina, Serbia.

volodaaaa liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora  
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1259
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Bilingual signs spotted in St. Moritz, Graubünden, Switzerland
(Graubünden is the only canton with three official languages: German, Italian and Rumantsch)

1. German first

2. Italian first

Corvinus no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #1260
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

"The town's hall" obviously isn't correct translation...
These tourist signs in Zrenjanin were installed in 2008, but nobody cares for this wrong translation...

Alex_ZR está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage