daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #1261
Zagor666
Motomaniac
 
Zagor666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rumenka - Köln
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 349

Nice motorcycle picture on the swiss sign. looks like some oldtimer. why only german and italian? where is rumantsch
__________________
bila neka tajna veza
Zagor666 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1262
OClone
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 51

Bulgarian/ English supposedly




Last edited by OClone; July 21st, 2014 at 01:53 AM.
OClone no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM   #1263
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

It's not Bulgarian\English, it's Bulgarian written in Cyrillic and Latin alphabet. If there's written Москва\Moskva or Αθήνα\Athína,you don't say that the second version of each is English, it's the same language but different alphabet.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM   #1264
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,089
Likes (Received): 4752

"Defile" is an English word.
Verso no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1265
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,474
Likes (Received): 3448

lol at "izlizane". in croatian that means "worn"
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1266
OClone
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's not Bulgarian\English, it's Bulgarian written in Cyrillic and Latin alphabet. If there's written Москва\Moskva or Αθήνα\Athína,you don't say that the second version of each is English, it's the same language but different alphabet.
Izlizane means going out, leaving, exiting. Nothing to do with spelling a location in Latin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
"Defile" is an English word.
The point was the ul. is the same as ulitsa/street, but in Latin alphabet it doesn't mean anything. So, again a foreigner will not know what it mean. Iskarsko Defile is the name of the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
lol at "izlizane". in croatian that means "worn"
It means exiting.
OClone no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #1267
Zagor666
Motomaniac
 
Zagor666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rumenka - Köln
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
lol at "izlizane". in croatian that means "worn"
and also licked off or abgeleckt
__________________
bila neka tajna veza
Zagor666 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1268
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClone View Post
Izlizane means going out, leaving, exiting. Nothing to do with spelling a location in Latin.
I though it was a location. Imagine foreign drivers trying to find it on the map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OClone View Post
The point was the ul. is the same as ulitsa/street, but in Latin alphabet it doesn't mean anything. So, again a foreigner will not know what it mean.
In Croatian and Slovenian it's ulica, and probably other Slavic languages have similar words. So ul. makes sense for a lot of people, also people from non-Slavic countries may remember having see ulica during their holiday in Slovenia or Croatia.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:00 PM   #1269
OClone
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
and also licked off or abgeleckt
In Bulgarian too, "lizane" (but it changes to izlizVane) is licking. I never thought of how similar they are.
OClone no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:18 AM   #1270
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,751
Likes (Received): 18823

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Croatian and Slovenian it's ulica, and probably other Slavic languages have similar words. So ul. makes sense for a lot of people, also people from non-Slavic countries may remember having see ulica during their holiday in Slovenia or Croatia.
Yes - in Polish, Czech and Slovak it is the same. Even Hungarians have a similar word - utca.
Kemo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1271
OClone
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Yes - in Polish, Czech and Slovak it is the same. Even Hungarians have a similar word - utca.
OK, so I guess at least someone will find it useful
OClone no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #1272
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Can we change the subject? I have no idea what you guys are talking about...
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:21 AM   #1273
OClone
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Can we change the subject? I have no idea what you guys are talking about...
If you have something on topic, talk about it.
OClone no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM   #1274
garethni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Likes (Received): 3

Translating the word for 'street' or whatever into English is something that irritates me and I think sounds quite jarring as a native speaker. Also, 'street' seems to be the the standard translation for what would clearly be a 'road' in English.

The Latvians do it all the time and when I first came to live here I would have liked to have known what the word on the signpost or street sign was going to be. And that applies to wherever I have to go in any country.
garethni no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM   #1275
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse
 
alserrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zaragoza
Posts: 59,835

I remember once a signal posted in these threads pointing to a Spanish town but written in Arabic and later the translation into Latin characters.
I found no sense cos it was quite hard to guess the name without knowing Arabic even if written in Latin characters too.

I think this situation is similar
__________________
Ya ves que fuimos puente herido de abrazos detenidos por ver la libertad


(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1276
khawa
Registered User
 
khawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I though it was a location. Imagine foreign drivers trying to find it on the map. .
You'd be surprised at how many French people have looked for the city of "Ausfahrt" on the map :-)
khawa no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1277
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,474
Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I remember once a signal posted in these threads pointing to a Spanish town but written in Arabic and later the translation into Latin characters.
I found no sense cos it was quite hard to guess the name without knowing Arabic even if written in Latin characters too.

I think this situation is similar
Algeciras or Alicante, at AP7
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1278
De Klauw
Registered User
 
De Klauw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,106
Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's not Bulgarian\English, it's Bulgarian written in Cyrillic and Latin alphabet. If there's written Москва\Moskva or Αθήνα\Athína,you don't say that the second version of each is English, it's the same language but different alphabet.
But what's the point of Bulgarian written in the Latin alphabet? It's better to use English than. Bulgarians don't need a Latin translation. It's meant for foreigners and they don't speak Bulgarian.
__________________

x-type liked this post

Last edited by De Klauw; July 23rd, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
De Klauw no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:17 PM   #1279
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post
Translating the word for 'street' or whatever into English is something that irritates me and I think sounds quite jarring as a native speaker. Also, 'street' seems to be the the standard translation for what would clearly be a 'road' in English.

The Latvians do it all the time and when I first came to live here I would have liked to have known what the word on the signpost or street sign was going to be. And that applies to wherever I have to go in any country.
Indeed. I see little point in filling maps of Paris with things like "Elysian Fields Avenue" and "Saint Michael's Boulevard" when the signage you're going to need to follow will say "avenue des Champs-Elysées" and "boulevard Saint-Michel". Not that I've ever seen a map of Paris do that. But there is an Elysian Fields Avenue in New Orleans.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1280
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Klauw View Post
But what's the point of Bulgarian written in the Latin alphabet? It's better to use English then. Bulgarians don't need a Latin translation. It's meant for foreigners and they don't speak Bulgarian.
What the street name means isn't important: it's the ability to find it...to match what's on your map or in your guidebook (as the address of the hotel, say) to what's on the signs. There's no more need to translate Bulgarian street names into English than there is to translate Dutch ones; the only reason for a second version is that many if not most visitors would have trouble with the locals' alphabet.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Alex_ZR liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium