daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1361
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've got a nice bottle of Pays d'Oc which I will open up shortly. I mainly drink French wines, but also Italian, Spanish, Californian, Australian and South African. I can't stand that Austrian stuff...
Road_UK no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1362
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Get a room, you lovebirds...

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Road_UK, Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1363
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

It'd take more than a Chimay Rouge, a bottle of Pays d'Oc and a bottle of Beaujolais nouveau. The Austrian wine, maybe....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1364
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've got a nice bottle of Pays d'Oc which I will open up shortly. I mainly drink French wines, but also Italian, Spanish, Californian, Australian and South African. I can't stand that Austrian stuff...
Dude, white South-african wine sounds pretty racist

volodaaaa no está en línea  
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1365
Road_UK
BANNED

I drink red only.
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #1366
piotr71

Quote:
Have you tried Austrian (actually German, but also used in Czech Republik and in Austria) appellations (qualitatswein mit pradikat) beerenauslese, trocken beerenaslese or eisewein?

By the way, my favourite are Tokaji Aszu. Sadly, there is no very wide choice of that delicious wine in the UK. Actually, only Waitros and M&S sell them in quite high prices, relatively 23 pounds for 1/2 litre of 9 year old Aszu 5 and 27 for 13 year old Aszu4. It was also available in Morrisons until recently in really good price (17 pounds) but I think I was only person buying it, so they cut the price by 3 and sold it out.

Well, to be at least a little on topic, it's probably worth to mention that Tokaj region is divided by Slovak-Hungarian (formerly Czechoslovak - Hungarian border demarcated after treaty of Trianon) border and both sides have rights to produce Tokaj, called alsoTokajské.

Last edited by piotr71; December 4th, 2014 at 11:06 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1367
Road_UK
BANNED

No I can't say I have. It's usually Blaufränkisch or Zweigelt around here. But I love the good ol' hazelnutschnapps...
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1368
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Russian "avtostrada na Berlin" sign in post(?)-WWII Germany, posted here
There is speculation about the date of this photo; it could be from the late stage of WWII or (more likely) from shortly after the war. The former GDR did have sings in Cyrillic until the 1950's, especially in areas of Soviet troop concentration.

[IMG]http://i12.************/5yhy7vn.jpg[/IMG]

Verso, piotr71, Zagor666 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1369
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Russian "avtostrada na Berlin" sign in post(?)-WWII Germany, posted here
There is speculation about the date of this photo; it could be from the late stage of WWII or (more likely) from shortly after the war. The former GDR did have sings in Cyrillic until the 1950's, especially in areas of Soviet troop concentration.
I have no clue that the Russian word for motorway is "avtostrada". It's obviously a calque from Italian. I know that the word autostrada is used also in Rumanian, Polish and Albanian.
However, for Russian language, Google suggests also автомагистраль that should be something like "avtomagistral".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #1370
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

My dictionary tells me that both avtostrada and avtomagistral are correct in Russian
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1371
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I have no clue that the Russian word for motorway is "avtostrada". It's obviously a calque from Italian. I know that the word autostrada is used also in Rumanian, Polish and Albanian.
However, for Russian language, Google suggests also автомагистраль that should be something like "avtomagistral".
Even the Flemish use autostrada at times or even autopiste. As long as it isn't Dutch...
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #1372
italystf

Quote:
Even the Flemish use autostrada at times or even autopiste. As long as it isn't Dutch...
They don't use autoroute either? They want to be different with they Wallonian cousins?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #1373
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
They don't use autosnelweg?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

bozenBDJ liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora  
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1374
Road_UK
BANNED

They certainly don't use autoroute, they use autosnelweg sporadically, but if they can do it the Mediterranean way they will. After all it's south of Holland and the weather is always nice.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #1375
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Oh, come now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #1376
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
They don't use autoroute either? They want to be different with they Wallonian cousins?
It's not a matter of being different - they don't speak the same language.

English-speaking Québécois (or Quebeckers) do say "autoroute," though, pronounced as if it were an English word.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1377
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
They certainly don't use autoroute, they use autosnelweg sporadically, but if they can do it the Mediterranean way they will. After all it's south of Holland and the weather is always nice.
And they're all good churchgoing Roman Catholics, too.

You're talking through your hat at this point.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #1378
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I have no clue that the Russian word for motorway is "avtostrada". It's obviously a calque from Italian.
It would not be a calque. A loan word perhaps, after transliteration. Calques require there to be some literal translation involved and the word here remains the same.
garethni no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #1379
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post
It would not be a calque. A loan word perhaps, after transliteration. Calques require there to be some literal translation involved and the word here remains the same.
In Italian is autostrada.
Old December 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1380
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Term 'autostrada' is comonly used in Lithuania to describe motorway, altough official word is 'automagistralė'. Remain from Soviet times when almost all constructions were done by then.
PovilD no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
autobahn, motorways, signage