daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #381
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why don't they renumber P80 into A6 or some other A-road? "P80" sounds unimportant. What do "A" and "P" stand for, btw?
I guess it's because currently the P80 starts in the middle of nowhere and ends in the middle of nowhere. In time (along with the construction of a second carriageway) the road will be extended to Augusta Deglava street roundabout in Rīga at one end and to A6 Pļaviņas ring road (which was already built as part of the new road decades ago) at the other end. Then it surely should receive an A category.

Then the new E22 will be extended from the end of the Pļaviņas ring road which you can plainly see in a map as a 90 degree turn in the middle of a forest.

Those are our road caregories: A, P and V roads. A being the main roads, P - regional roads and V - local roads. I just can't think of what exactly each letter stands for. V stands for Vietējie - that I know.

Verso liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #382
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

A stands for augstākās kategorijas autoceļi (highest priority roads), and V stands for vietējie (local roads). I can't remember the meaning of P, but it was answered somewhere here, a few years ago.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

Verso liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #383
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
I can't remember the meaning of P, but it was answered somewhere here, a few years ago.
Pегиональная дорога?

Last edited by Verso; April 5th, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #384
makaveli6
(:

I dont understand that, I have no knowledge of Russian language I know for sure that P roads are in no way connected to USSR's P roads.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #385
Verso
Islander

I thought they had remained from Soviet times.
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #386
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
I dont understand that, I have no knowledge of Russian language I know for sure that P roads are in no way connected to USSR's P roads.
Yes because those are really R roads
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #387
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

By the same rule E09 has a weird routing too, since in Spain it has been always on regional roads (C-16 North of Manresa was previously known as C-1411). If it was on C-17 it would be OK because that road (now expressway) was N-152, a national road.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #388
makaveli6
(:

Ah, now I remember, P stands for pirmās šķiras autoceļi. (primary roads)

Poland.

Verso liked this post
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #389
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

As I said - not a logical system.
Highest category roads, primary roads and local roads. It just doesn't make any sense. It should be "highest, medium, lowest category" or "primary, secondary, tertiary" or "national, regional, local" roads.

Verso liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #390
makaveli6
(:

It does make more sense in Latvian. It's intresting that some P roads have alot higher AADT than some A roads.

Poland.
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #391
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Some illogical E-roads:

E45 between Bologna and Rome (Italy)
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/44.51...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

E45 in Sicily
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/38.19...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

E61 Villach (A) - Rijeka (HR)
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/46.61...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #392
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18751

http://goo.gl/maps/Lenud
E462, which (on this section) is a duplicate of E40 and E75.
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #393
Verso
Islander

That's very common.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #394
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

How many countries in Europe sign with E-roads on their networks? Is it like 60% or less?
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #395
sotonsi

In Europe, I think it is only the UK (and Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Malta, Iceland and Cyprus that don't have the E-road network) that don't sign them at all. I don't know about Central Asian and Causasian countries.

Probably 60% of European countries that sign them, sign them poorly (Route Confirmation Signs and maybe major junctions' directional signage only).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #396
Verso
Islander

No, many countries sign them pretty well.
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #397
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Apart from the UK, E-numbers appear to signed pretty much everywhere, though to varying degrees (ranging from totally relying on E-numbers to just some confirmation signs here and there, unsuitable for navigating).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #398
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In some countries like in Italy some outdated (replaced) E-numbers had not been changed. Probably E-routes aren't signposted in Central Asia as well. Strangely, Albania, that is on mainland Europe and it's not a microstate, hasn't any E-road.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #399
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The E4 is still signposted for Kemi, Finland although it ends in Tornio.

It used to go to Helsinki. Maybe they forgot to remove the old sign.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #400
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Apart from the UK, E-numbers appear to signed pretty much everywhere, though to varying degrees (ranging from totally relying on E-numbers to just some confirmation signs here and there, unsuitable for navigating).
Central Asia is crap, but otherwise the summary is correct. What you do see, however, is that the very vast majority of states in Western Europe signpost their national numbers just more prominently than they sign E-numbers. Sometimes the difference is big (e.g. Germany, where on motorways E-numbers are only signposted on confirmation signs, thus unsuitable for navigation), sometimes the difference is smaller (e.g. France, where E- and A-numbers usually sit together on motorways, but where references to motorways from other roads are always done by their national number, which unsurprisingly is used by motorists). Eventually, the core of the European transportation network is full of countries where E-routes are just not signposted prominently enough to be actually used by the motorists. This leaves the system as doomed to fail, signs that feature them as unnecessarily full.

Below is a quick overview that I prepared a few years back of the degree in which E-numbers are signposted throughout the parts of Europe that I know / were accessible via Streetview at the time. I appreciate that there is some room for discussion as far as some countries are concerned, but it gives something of an overview. Colour coding is as follows:
- Red: the country does not signpost E-numbers at all
- Green: E-numbers are signposted more prominently than the national numbers of the relevant routes (if there is a national number at all)
- Purple: country signposts both sets of numbers equally prominently
- Blue: while E-numbers are signposted somehow, they are signposted less prominently than national numbers.
- Italy: too complicated to summarise ...

Glodenox, Luki_SL liked this post
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote