daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #521
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

On a trip to Montreal in the early 90s, I remember reading about the (Anglophone) mayor of Westmount who'd just come back from vacation in France and remarked "La France a besoin d'une Loi 101."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #522
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The E-number roads like the E251 are rarely signposted in Germany.
The E251 runs between Sassnitz and Berlin, which is in Germany only, maybe no reason for
an E-number then ?

Usually E-numbers are not shown only A-numbers.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #523
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The E-number roads like the E251 are rarely signposted in Germany.
The E251 runs between Sassnitz and Berlin, which is in Germany only, maybe no reason for
an E-number then ?
There is no such a rule that an E-numbered road should cross the border. Three-digit roads typicall are located inside one country to provide access to other E-roads. There are tens of such roads.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #524
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
There is no such a rule that an E-numbered road should cross the border. Three-digit roads typicall are located inside one country to provide access to other E-roads. There are tens of such roads.
Yes but unlike some countries, Germany doesn't seem to really use the E numbering. At least not for anything which would be useful for a motorist (or anyone but bureaucrats).
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #525
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

Yes but unlike some countries, Germany doesn't seem to really use the E numbering. At least not for anything which would be useful for a motorist (or anyone but bureaucrats).
Why should they? Like most countries they've got their own national numbers. Sweden uses them. So does Belgium, which doesn't make any sense at all. We've been through this on this thread, including a story from a Belgian who decided to drive to Amsterdam using E-numbers only, adding kilometres to his journey.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

There are 147 3-digit E-roads, and a lot of them don't cross international borders. Italy has 14 3-digit E-routes, none of them cross borders and several of them are less than 50 kilometers long.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #527
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I think the question someone up-thread (I'm too lazy to go back and see who) is asking is what's the point of an E-number that doesn't cross an international border, since the road in question presumably has domestic numbers as well. There are instances in France of that...and in some cases - like the A11/E501 - the E route has a single domestic number.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #528
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Why should they? Like most countries they've got their own national numbers. Sweden uses them. So does Belgium, which doesn't make any sense at all. We've been through this on this thread, including a story from a Belgian who decided to drive to Amsterdam using E-numbers only, adding kilometres to his journey.
In a previous post it was claimed that a certain E road exists only within the borders of Germany, and I pointed out that Germany doesn't really use them. So what is the raison d'être of E numbers anyway 1) for that particular road, 2) in Germany in general, 3) in general?
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #529
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I think the question someone up-thread (I'm too lazy to go back and see who) is asking is what's the point of an E-number that doesn't cross an international border, since the road in question presumably has domestic numbers as well. There are instances in France of that...and in some cases - like the A11/E501 - the E route has a single domestic number.
The 3-digit E-numbers are somewhat similar to 3-digit interstates as a concept.

In most countries, the E numbering is totally separate from the domestic numbering. The number may even be the same, like in Finland: The whole road 8 is E8, too.
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #530
MattiG

Quote:
In a previous post it was claimed that a certain E road exists only within the borders of Germany, and I pointed out that Germany doesn't really use them. So what is the raison d'être of E numbers anyway 1) for that particular road, 2) in Germany in general, 3) in general?
There are people receiving salary from maintaining this obsolete system. That is why it still exists.
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What is the cost of the UNECE E-numbering system? I presume it's pretty low in Germany where they are generally only signposted on distance signs that don't need to be larger to accommodate the E-number.
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #532
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

E-numbering looks like a bad attempt to imitate the US interstate system. Europe and USA are different in this aspect, as Europe isn't geographically compact as the contiguous 48 US states, but it's made up by many islands and peninsulae.
Moreover, US interstates are homogeneous considering construction standards, while E-roads can be anything from a 10-lanes motorway in the Netherlands to a 5-meters wide country road in Norway or Russia.
The USA planned to build a country-wide freeway network back in the 1950s, while in Europe each country has ever done its plans indipendently.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #533
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the cost of the UNECE E-numbering system? I presume it's pretty low in Germany where they are generally only signposted on distance signs that don't need to be larger to accommodate the E-number.
Nobody can calculate it. Anyway, if the value is zero then any cost is higher than the value.
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #534
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
E-numbering looks like a bad attempt to imitate the US interstate system. Europe and USA are different in this aspect, as Europe isn't geographically compact as the contiguous 48 US states, but it's made up by many islands and peninsulae.
Moreover, US interstates are homogeneous considering construction standards, while E-roads can be anything from a 10-lanes motorway in the Netherlands to a 5-meters wide country road in Norway or Russia.
The USA planned to build a country-wide freeway network back in the 1950s, while in Europe each country has ever done its plans indipendently.

Some of the E-roads are very small roads like only 5 meters wide. But some very big motorways in Europe dont have any E-number at all
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #535
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:

One of few signs with an e-number along the A20, which is the E22.
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #536
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

One of few signs with an e-number along the A20, which is the E22.
Yes, but this is close to useless to someone who actually wants to follow the E22; can't see that number in junctions.
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #537
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Are there any stand alone E highways? I couldn't find the answer sifting through the thread but I feel it has been asked before.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #538
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Not that I know of, other than on a few islands.

FM 2258 liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #539
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Are there any stand alone E highways? I couldn't find the answer sifting through the thread but I feel it has been asked before.
What do you mean by standalone? An e-road that does not connect to other e-roads or a road that only runs through one country.

The E251 (B96)Sassnitz-Berlin only goes through Germany. E 251 is a European B class road in Germany, connecting the cities Sassnitz – Stralsund – Neubrandenburg – Berlin
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are no E-roads that do not connect to other E-routes, though a segment of E25 on the French island of Corsica is not connected to any other E-route.

There are no E-routes on Iceland, Malta or Cyprus.

At least one E-route is designated, but does not exist in reality (unbuilt as opposed to unsigned). That is E404 in Belgium. It is designated to run from Jabbeke to Zeebrugge, but there is no such road connection.

It is also possible that some ferry routes that carry E-routes do not exist in reality.