daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:19 AM   #161
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I hope they never are, either. I see little point in them, from a UK context.
Oh, I quite agree (not that it's any of my business). Just pointing out that it's not only remote ex-Soviet countries on the steppes of Central Asia that are ignoring the system.

Does anyone outside Belgium and Scandinavia care about them?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #162
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There is somewhere on SSC a photo of a Georgian sign with E60 in it.
Thanks. Georgia also applied for a couple E road extensions in the past decade.

As for the other Asian countries, with ChrisZ's guess in mind, which ones have begun to post E roads on their major highways?
http://cmap.m-plex.com/
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #163
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I was in Denmark some weeks ago and found it strange that some motorways do not have any national numbering, only the E one.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

There is an administrative M-numbering in Denmark which is supposedly used on the kilometer markers (I never noticed it) but not on the main signage.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #165
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I was in Denmark some weeks ago and found it strange that some motorways do not have any national numbering, only the E one.
Same in Belgium and Sweden too. I think Sweden and Denmark should introduce A- or M-numbers at the motorways.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #166
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Same in Belgium and Sweden too. I think Sweden and Denmark should introduce A- or M-numbers at the motorways.
Why? Everyone calls them by the E numbers anyway.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM   #167
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

A quick post as i am running out the door. Farthest East E number route? I remember a while back trying to trace one into KZ. Whats the eastern most city where an E number ends?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #168
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E40 in Ridder, Kazakhstan I think.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM   #169
sotonsi

The E127 gets a little bit further east, ending at Maikapshagai
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:09 PM   #170
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Denmark could do this. Belgium should do this, since they are already inconsistens in their signing (E-routes are only signed when they are motorways.) For Sweden and Norway there isn't enough consistent motorways i think since the main routes switches from motorway to highway, they could however switch to national routes as Finland have, not a big fan of double-numbers tough so if we are to use E-numbers it looks more clean to avoid national routes on top of them. Hopefully they would cooperate to keep the road numbers across the border like now, that is the advantage of E-number.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:36 PM   #171
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Denmark could do this. Belgium should do this, since they are already inconsistens in their signing (E-routes are only signed when they are motorways.) For Sweden and Norway there isn't enough consistent motorways i think since the main routes switches from motorway to highway, they could however switch to national routes as Finland have, not a big fan of double-numbers tough so if we are to use E-numbers it looks more clean to avoid national routes on top of them. Hopefully they would cooperate to keep the road numbers across the border like now, that is the advantage of E-number.
If Denmark should do it, also Sweden should do it. I don't know about Norway, they have less motorways than Denmark and Sweden. But in Sweden, the motorway network are growing up and it's time to use A- or M-numbers on them.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The great thing about a road numbering system is that it is possible for prefixes to indicate the road class. An E-road can be anything from a 5 meter wide rural road to a 16-lane motorway.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #173
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The great thing about a road numbering system is that it is possible for prefixes to indicate the road class. An E-road can be anything from a 5 meter wide rural road to a 16-lane motorway.
Not to forget, an E-route doesn't even have to be a road at all.... It can also be a ferry
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM   #174
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

it can also be nothing, as there may be not any ferry between the two parts of an E-road.

E-roads would have been a good thing, if only they were coherent and logical (what's the point of an E25 The Netherlands-Switzerland-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily?).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #175
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
If Denmark should do it, also Sweden should do it. I don't know about Norway, they have less motorways than Denmark and Sweden. But in Sweden, the motorway network are growing up and it's time to use A- or M-numbers on them.
It's not a motorway network, just some motorways here and there. What time will all the major cities of Sweden be connected by motorways. Not anytime soon that's for sure, there's no reason they have to either. Therefor it would be better to have consistent roadnumbers, for example route 1 could run Gothenburg - Borås - Stockholm without having to switch name 2 times since there is no motorway in the middle. By removing E-numbers you would also avoid having double route number in long corridors, upto tripple or 4-times E-road in beltways, unlogical routes that follows with the numbering.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM   #176
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
It's not a motorway network, just some motorways here and there. What time will all the major cities of Sweden be connected by motorways. Not anytime soon that's for sure
When Dållbo - Hester on Rv 40 is finished there will be a 40km motorway gap between Stockholm and Göteborg with the gap being 2+1 non-grade separated.

The gap between Malmö - Gävle is 31km grade separated 2+1.

Thus, I think not anytime soon is a debatable statement.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #177
Uppsala

Quote:
It's not a motorway network, just some motorways here and there. What time will all the major cities of Sweden be connected by motorways. Not anytime soon that's for sure, there's no reason they have to either. Therefor it would be better to have consistent roadnumbers, for example route 1 could run Gothenburg - Borås - Stockholm without having to switch name 2 times since there is no motorway in the middle. By removing E-numbers you would also avoid having double route number in long corridors, upto tripple or 4-times E-road in beltways, unlogical routes that follows with the numbering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
When Dållbo - Hester on Rv 40 is finished there will be a 40km motorway gap between Stockholm and Göteborg with the gap being 2+1 non-grade separated.

The gap between Malmö - Gävle is 31km grade separated 2+1.

Thus, I think not anytime soon is a debatable statement.
In the past it was just some motorways here and there in Sweden. Now it is a motorway network. So it's time to use A- or M-numbers in Sweden too. The "gap" between Malmö - Gävle is 31km grade separated 2+1 is not a real gap. It's a 2+1 semi motorway or expressway. And that part is working like a part of the Swedish motorway network. The Swedish motorways was in the past built like some motorways here and there, but it's not like that now. The motorways are built together to a network. So that's a reason why they should use A- or M-numbers in Sweden too. 2+1 semi motorways can have A- or M-numbers too. If Denmark introduce A- or M-numbers at the motorways, they should do the same in Sweden too.

But I don’t think they never introduce A- or M-numbers at the signs in Sweden, Denmark or Belgium. People are used to the E-numbers in all that 3 countries.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #178
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Assuming that your exemplary E6 is the fastest and most logical route between points A and B, why bother marking road classes? The motorists are supposed to use the route anyway, even if it switches a lot between different road classes.

I'd also point out that road numbers are also supposed to be navigation cues, not just labels on map. It is a bit easier to follow just a single, unchanging identifier.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #179
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

From now, I will use the European number instead of the national number. So the A-23, which bypasses my hometown, becomes E07 in my map.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #180
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

I agree with Uppsala. The E4 between Stockholm and Helsingborg has a 30 km gap that is essentially an expressway (it's grade seperated and with a 100km/h speedlimit). It works well, atleast for Swedish standards. IMO the E4 is a motorway all the way between Gävle and Helsingborg (723km according to Google maps).
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote