daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Science fiction / Roads & Projects

Name of this topic might sound weird but I will explain

You can post here your concepts of roads and solutions... your dreams or ideas which probably will never happen

Crisis in Central Europe is getting more and more difficult. Clever and cheeky politicans from Austria come with an idea of creating Austrian Empire... good network of spies and massive investments in teaching German language in last 20 years have effect. It will make easier the creation of new major power in Europe. The Austrian Empire will consist of Austria, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia Tired nations prefer the economical power rather than independence so they go along with this idea, especially Balkan nations who still remember the war. They see this soultion as a chance for better life, new proud identity instead of doom and post-jugoslav social trauma

ok, ok sound bit weird but it's a little background...

Road network needs to be unified, obviously Austria as a dominating country, the Empire takes the Austrain nummeration and signage !

What priorities should have brand new, huge network ! And how to re arrange the number scheme ?

Come up with ideas ! I will post a map later

Andf feel free to post your own invented visions

Last edited by Mateusz; March 31st, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Mateusz, you're nuts.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Mateusz

Ok, I play too much strategic games from Paradox like Hearts fo Iron II or Victoria and I am interested in alternative history

Austrian signange might be not best in the world but that's the cost for road users in new state.

Also cities names will be changed For example, Laibach, Marburg, Agram, Prag and Pressburg
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Verso
Islander

Wonderful. Can't wait to continue participating in this discussion.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I'd love to see one A4 from Amsterdam to Belgium - pure science fiction though

Especially this part is desperately needed.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3444

@ Verso: Why are you so sarcastic. I mean, we discuss overhere on this subforum how bad a road is, how good and what has to change. I think it's an excellent idea to show your suggestions etc.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I'd love to see one A4 from Amsterdam to Belgium - pure science fiction though

Especially this part is desperately needed.

Ye. My suggestion is. Make use of tunnels. I know, it's expensive, but good for the environment and noise pollution. A tunnel under the Kethel neighborhood in Rotterdam and an interchange near Vuurbaken. Strange names but still That's the way I would do it.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

i think there was one countryman of yours who ad the same idea, i think he came from upper Austria. Are you from upper Austria as well?
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I would have liked it if Cape Town's city planners in the middle of last century had included a freeway to Kommetjie in their plans. I've even come up with some ideas for a route it could take; it would start as the unfinished Table Bay Boulevard flyovers in the CBD, then turn south as Southern Boulevard (2x3) and head through the inner western suburbs up the mountain (this would require extensive bulldozing).

After a full diamond interchange at what is now the intersection between Kloof Nek Road, Camps Bay Road and Tafelberg Road, it would become Hout Bay Freeway (still 2x3), with a lot of cuttings and viaducts along the side of the mountain to allow for a design speed of 100 km/h. The last section of this road would be twin tunnels, emerging near Hout Bay Road (M63) and coming to a full diamond interchange with Victoria Road in Hout Bay.

Then it would become 2x2, entering another pair of tunnels called Chapman's Peak Tunnels, carrying it under the narrow, windy (and now tolled) Chapman's Peak Drive. These tunnels would emerge in time for an interchange with Noordhoek Road in Noordhoek.

It would then become called Kommetjie Freeway, running through the dunes at Noordhoek Beach (but far enough away from the sea to keep the beach as beautiful as it is). A new road could be built to provide access to the freeway from Sun Valley, and then it would come to a full diamond at Kommetjie Road (M65). The freeway would run along an upgrade of what is now Swartklip Road (M82), before ending in a seamless connection with Main Road (M65).

This whole thing would have the route number M6, and the present day M6 road would have to be renumbered to something else.

Here is a map I created a couple of months ago in Inkscape (using OpenStreetMap imagery as a starting point), showing the first section of the road (Southern Boulevard):

[img]http://i43.************/1zg724n.png[/img]

I have had some other ideas for freeways in Cape Town, including the M12 Stellenbosch Freeway and a realignment of the R27 to an enormous viaduct over Table Bay between Paardeneiland and Table View, but I'll describe those in more detail some other time.

Last edited by Robosteve; March 31st, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Mateusz

That's what I mean

People don't have to follow my complicated example

I made a map based on Google maps. Just I am stuck how to sort out numbering for national and local roads, also I might come up with some fancy names for town and cities for example Neue Krone instead of Kosice

Stay tuned, more sensations to come soon
And I am totally fine, I don't some anything else excepting Marlboro lights
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
@ Verso: Why are you so sarcastic. I mean, we discuss overhere on this subforum how bad a road is, how good and what has to change. I think it's an excellent idea to show your suggestions etc.
Nah, it's fine, I just didn't know what else to say on his brilliant Austro-Hungarian idea.

A science fiction of sort is I'd like to see a more direct motorway between Maribor and Vienna, bypassing Graz completely.
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Mateusz

A map for future infrastructure of the Empire

BTW, UE collapsed in my version so no Schengen etc. good old borders and checks come back

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy !

In next versions I might come up with new numbering scheme and other details
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Why don´t you change the name of Budapest t sound more german like Budberg or something.
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #14
The Knowledgeable
Obeznany

Likes (Received): 1

Why not also include Carpathian Ruthenia, Vojvodina and Transylvania? Would look more like the historical Austrian Empire.
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM   #15
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Bosnienburg
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM   #16
Mateusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Knowledgeable View Post
Why not also include Carpathian Ruthenia, Vojvodina and Transylvania? Would look more like the historical Austrian Empire.
Ukraine doesn't want to give it to Austrian Empire.

Serbia and Romania said that they will carry on miliitary action if Empire will be coming up with ideas of taking away Transylvania or Vojvodina, sabotating on their territory

Many people from new Empire ran away as refugees to United Kingdom, USA and scandinavian countries so situation slightly calmed.
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #17
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
Bosnienburg
Didn't even notice that.
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM   #18
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban.BL View Post
Why don´t you change the name of Budapest t sound more german like Budberg or something.
Buda was called "Ofen" in german.

To be exact,both Ofen and Pest means the same,although one in german,and the other in slavic language. I think furnace or cave,or something like it.
RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM   #19
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Maribor and Vienna
Marburg und Wien
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #20
Mateusz