daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #321
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
On Shanghai-Nanjing railway, Kunshan South is 50 km from Hongqiao, and the fastest trains take 17 minutes - but they travel at 300 km/h. 2 stations exist in between - Anting North and Huaqiao

There is only Jiangning Station between Nanjing and Maanshan on Nanjing-Anqing railway. Should a railway be built between Nanjing and Maanshan that would have multiple stations and serve them rapidly?

Should metro line 8 be this line? Where is its terminus?
The Nanjing-Anqing PDL will be the primary rail link between Nanjing and Ma'anshan. The 15 minute time is probably a direct train from Nanjing South to Ma'anshan East. There are not much in between anyway, Jiangning South is probably as far as a traveler from Nanjing will go without leaving the city boundary. Metro Line 8 serve the majority part of Jiangning District, but doesn't extend as far south as Jiangning South.

FM 2258, Highcliff liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #322
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
As we know, the current Nanjing-Wuhu Railway cuts through the south part of downtown Nanjing from Cangbomen, the 16.7km line is a huge hassle for the surrounding neighborhoods due to noise and frequent closure of the crossings. Starting in 2010 a plan has been put in motion to move this section of the railway out of the city so it's outside the ring road. A new dedicated freight pass through corridor is being constructed under the HSR Nanjing South right now, construction of the connecting line from Cangbomen to HSR Nanjing South will start in 2014 after the Nanjing-Anqing PDL is finished, and the current Nanjing-Wuhu passenger traffic shifted to that line. The current right of way of Nanjing-Wuhu will be used as the basis of Metro Line 8, which will have a combination of ground level and elevated tracks.

Current Nanjing-Wuhu Railway through Nanjing streets

The black line on top is the old line, the straight doted line right above Nanjing South is the new line.

Here is a diagram of how the old line will be utilized as part of Metro Line 8

This is probably off topic to Nanjing Metro....I have a weird fascination with CRH trains running on conventional lines. Do CRH trains run on this street level railway?

geometarkv, Highcliff liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #323
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
This is probably off topic to Nanjing Metro....I have a weird fascination with CRH trains running on conventional lines. Do CRH trains run on this street level railway?
No this line is not electrified, CRH trains do run on the old Shanghai-Nanjing line and I believe there are a number of at grade crossings.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #324
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101646

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
I think it also has to due with city's sizes, China currently has 4 megacities and all those are tier 1 cities which are Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen.
Guangzhou, a mega city? Sure, it has got a neat GDP but the city itself, is it really so big? Then, Shenzhen is not a big city at all. Nanjing is much larger.

I guess on the list should be included Tianjin and Chongqing. And maybe Wuxi.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #325
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Guangzhou, a mega city? Sure, it has got a neat GDP but the city itself, is it really so big? Then, Shenzhen is not a big city at all. Nanjing is much larger.

What urban Nanjing bigger than Shenzhen and Guangzhou?
Guangzhou and Shenzhen are Tier I megacities with populations of over 10 mil in most ways of cutting up the metropolitan region. They are bigger and more important than urban Chongqing and Wuxi.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #326
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Guangzhou + Dongguan + Shenzhen is basically one continuous city and it's HUGE.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #327
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Guangzhou + Dongguan + Shenzhen is basically one continuous city and it's HUGE.
They are not ONE continuous city, although they are somewhat connected by sprawl but they function as different cities. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are over 100 km from each other.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #328
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post

Yes, Guangzhou is no question a flully fledged mega city and you wont notice that it is smaller than Shanghai when walking around in the city.

Shenzhen is also a megacity but a little bit smaller than Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Beijing but still much larger than Nanjing, just look in the map, Nanjing is just a small dense area compared to Shenzhen which have multiple centers and sprawls endlessly.

Wuxi shouldn't even be mentioned in this context with a population of 3-4 million.
Chongqing currently has a population of around 7-8 million so it still has a way to go until it can be considered a megacity which is a city with a metropopulation of more than 10 million people. However I think that by 10 years it will become one together with Chengdu. Wuhan, and Tianjin.

FM 2258, Silly_Walks, n20 liked this post

Last edited by VECTROTALENZIS; March 14th, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #329
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
No this line is not electrified, CRH trains do run on the old Shanghai-Nanjing line and I believe there are a number of at grade crossings.
Thanks, I didn't catch that in the picture. No overhead wires. I can't wait to go back to China and ride some of these lines.

Speaking about the mega city discussion, when I visited Guangzhou in 2010 man, it felt like the biggest city I've ever seen. Buildings to the horizon and a very beautiful city. Lots of trees and I felt very safe.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #330
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Yes, Guangzhou is no question a flully fledged mega city and you wont notice that it is smaller than Shanghai when walking around in the city.

Shenzhen is also a megacity but a little bit smaller than Guangzhou
As of 2010 Census:
Almost the whole Shenzhen is densely settled. Except for Dapeng new district, density 612 per square km. The next least dense district is Pingshan, 1852 per square km.

There are no peasants in Shenzhen. Excluding Dapeng and including all other districts, Shenzhen city covers 1695 square km and had 10,2 million people.

Yes, Guangzhou has 12,7 million people. But much of that is peasants in countryside. County level cities Conghua and Zengcheng have population densities of 301 and 641 per square km respectively. And the districts include Nansha (493), Luogang (950) and Huadu (974).

Counting just the districts of Yuexiu, Liwan, Haizhu, Tianhe, Baiyun, Huangpu and Panyu, of which the least densely settled is Panyu (2245 per square km), Guangzhou city covers 1952 square km - and has 9,5 million people.

So Shenzhen is bigger than Guangzhou.

Any objections?

n20 liked this post
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #331
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
As of 2010 Census:
Almost the whole Shenzhen is densely settled. Except for Dapeng new district, density 612 per square km. The next least dense district is Pingshan, 1852 per square km.

There are no peasants in Shenzhen. Excluding Dapeng and including all other districts, Shenzhen city covers 1695 square km and had 10,2 million people.

Yes, Guangzhou has 12,7 million people. But much of that is peasants in countryside. County level cities Conghua and Zengcheng have population densities of 301 and 641 per square km respectively. And the districts include Nansha (493), Luogang (950) and Huadu (974).

Counting just the districts of Yuexiu, Liwan, Haizhu, Tianhe, Baiyun, Huangpu and Panyu, of which the least densely settled is Panyu (2245 per square km), Guangzhou city covers 1952 square km - and has 9,5 million people.

So Shenzhen is bigger than Guangzhou.

Any objections?
Don't just look at administrative divisions since those doesn't usually reflect on how the cities really is built up.
Large areas of Foshan just west of the city border works as suburbs to Guangzhou and are continuously built up. If you look at the map you will notice the the western city border is quite near the city center while the eastern and northern border is far out in the countryside. So I would add some areas of Foshan to Guangzhou and my prediction is that Guangzhou has a population of between 12-14 billion.

n20 liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #332
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
my prediction is that Guangzhou has a population of between 12-14 billion.

Hehe this one is so much fun I almost want to agree with it
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #333
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

regardless, Nanjing is smaller than Shenzhen and Guangzhou in terms of population and importance.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #334
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
What's so funny...?

FM 2258 liked this post
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #335
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
What's so funny...?
Before I answer, read it again... or 3 times

FM 2258, Highcliff liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #336
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
What's so funny...?
12-14 billion
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #337
FM 2258

Quote:
haha....Guangzhou it's is own planet!

12-14 billion.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #338
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quote:
Before I answer, read it again... or 3 times
I see...my bad..
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #339
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Unfortunately I cannot find the distribution of population density between the towns and subdistricts of Dongguan in English Wikipedia.

How much of the 8,22 million population of Dongguan is contiguous with Shenzhen across one border, and how much with Guangzhou across the other border?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #340
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I've always been a bit confused how exactly Chinese count the inhabitants of their big cities. Numbers one can find on internet are widely different. Very difficult to compare with large cities elsewhere...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, nanjing