daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #521
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 490

I Don't Know??

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #522
saiho

Likes (Received): 1285

IDK = I don't know.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #523
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5733

Line 3 - expected to open within the next month or two

Source: http://www.howbuy.com/news/2015-02-10/2986478.html
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #524
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1664

How long will line 3 be?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #525
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
How long will line 3 be?
44.8 km

Zaz965 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #526
kunming tiger

if so the Nanjing will leap into the ten longest metros in the world.
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #527
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I have a file (some kind of map) where I plotted every damn Chinese metro (Mainland only). Here's my breakup:
Line 1: 37.7 km
Line 2: 37.0 km
Line 10: 21.8 km
Line S1: 32.4 km
Line S8: 44.6 km

Total: 173.4 km

Definitely I have something wrong, since I'm 2 km short on Line 1 and 3.5 km on line S1. This leads to the weird situation where the official lenghts show that Nanjing metro is now longer than Shenzhen's, but my data still says it's the other way round! .
Doing some routine updates I adjusted line S1 and surprise, I found 2.5 kilometers that were previously 'lost'. So this puts Nanjing metro at 176 km according to my data, now longer than Shenzhen's by less than one kilometer. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the opening of line 3. It should be ready by the end of March (Or at least that's what I read).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM   #528
kunming tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Doing some routine updates I adjusted line S1 and surprise, I found 2.5 kilometers that were previously 'lost'. So this puts Nanjing metro at 176 km according to my data, now longer than Shenzhen's by less than one kilometer. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the opening of line 3. It should be ready by the end of March (Or at least that's what I read).
If the numbers are correct the Nanjing Metro should be 220 kms long (176+44) after the opening of Line 3. That would take it into tenth place ahead of Paris Metro.

However unless there are additional extensions or opening before next year they are likely to drop out of the top ten in 2016 with all the new lines in ShenZhen scheduled to open.

It seems only a maater of time before both Paris and Mexico city drop out of the top ten permanently
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:11 AM   #529
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
It seems only a maater of time before both Paris and Mexico city drop out of the top ten permanently
There are some grand plans for Paris metro. Some of it is already under construction and if all what is planned really gets built then probably not.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Paris_Express (not much written about it in English)
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM   #530
kunming tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
There are some grand plans for Paris metro. Some of it is already under construction and if all what is planned really gets built then probably not.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Paris_Express (not much written about it in English)
Their expansion plans may keep them in the top ten but unlikely to keep them ahead of the chasing pack of Shen Zhen, Nanjing, Wuhan and Tianjin .

Put simply the Chinese are adding to their networks at an amazing speed and lower costs. The aforementioned cities plan networks of up to 700 kms in length

The Paris Metro would need to double in size within the next ten years to be sure of its place in the ten largest metros. However ongoing construction is a good sign.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM   #531
Sunfuns

Quote:
Their expansion plans may keep them in the top ten but unlikely to keep them ahead of the chasing pack of Shen Zhen, Nanjing, Wuhan and Tianjin .

Put simply the Chinese are adding to their networks at an amazing speed and lower costs. The aforementioned cities plan networks of up to 700 kms in length

The Paris Metro would need to double in size within the next ten years to be sure of its place in the ten largest metros. However ongoing construction is a good sign.
You are probably right although there is a question of how to count. How much suburban rail is there in all those aforementioned Chinese cities? Paris has a very strong network (RER, ca 700 km) which in the city itself functions like an express metro (underground). Not sure if those parts are counted in statistics as metro or not.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:35 AM   #532
kunming tiger

Interesting info it looks like an additional 150 or 160 kms by 2020. It would extend it out to 400 kms ? By 2020 I expect the top six to be

1. Shanghai
2. Beijing
3. Guangzhou
4. London
5. NYC
6. Shenzhen

NOs 3,4,5 are interchangable.

Nanjing, Chongqing Wuhan and Tianjin should all be in the mix. The ten largest will be determined by the rate of expansion.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:39 AM   #533
Sunfuns

Sorry, but Tokyo not being even mentioned makes such rankings suspicious. It would be interesting to see rankings with ALL rail based transport counted let's say 75 km from the central point (maybe 100 for the biggest cities, 50 for a bit smaller ones).
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:40 PM   #534
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Sorry, but Tokyo not being even mentioned makes such rankings suspicious. It would be interesting to see rankings with ALL rail based transport counted let's say 75 km from the central point (maybe 100 for the biggest cities, 50 for a bit smaller ones).
Yes exactly. Tokyo never makes such lists because its actual metro system is small (~310 km) and most of its thousands of kms of rail consists of suburban rail lines. Same with NYC, its total MTA subway lines consist of ~370 km, but its combined NJ transit, LIRR, Metro North and miscellaneous light rail and other train lines put it well above 2,000 kms. That being said, I think its a bit like comparing apples to oranges when I see these statistics about how Chinese rail systems are so much larger than established heavy-weights like NYC and Tokyo, especially since many metro lines in China essentially function like suburban rail in the outer city areas.

If we count all rail lines, not just the nominal subway systems, then even Shanghai and Beijing's long term plans (~700-1000 kms) are less than half the size of Tokyo and NYCs rail networks.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:49 PM   #535
kunming tiger

You have a valid about the exact defibition of metro.

For my money either it;s underground or elevated if at ground level then there must be no level crossings.

If you want to count all types of passenger rail then include the intercity lines even HSR lines .

Norge78 liked this post
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #536
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Rapid transit, also known as metro, subway or underground, is a type of high-capacity public transport generally found in urban areas.[1][2][3] Unlike buses, trams or light rail, rapid transit systems are electric railways that operate on an exclusive right-of-way, which cannot be accessed by pedestrians or other vehicles of any sort,[4] and which is often grade separated in tunnels or on elevated railways.

For all those now wanting to include light rail transport and railway network into statistics related to metro network. I dont understand why suddenly does this doubt arise considering for ages. this definition was quite clear and infact metros are separate economic and financial entity and listed as separate companies from the light rail transport in many cases.

The statistics associated with metros are very clear and no there is no confusion for debate here.

Norge78, Zaz965 liked this post
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #537
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Rapid transit, also known as metro, subway or underground, is a type of high-capacity public transport generally found in urban areas.[1][2][3] Unlike buses, trams or light rail, rapid transit systems are electric railways that operate on an exclusive right-of-way, which cannot be accessed by pedestrians or other vehicles of any sort,[4] and which is often grade separated in tunnels or on elevated railways.

For all those now wanting to include light rail transport and railway network into statistics related to metro network. I dont understand why suddenly does this doubt arise considering for ages. this definition was quite clear and infact metros are separate economic and financial entity and listed as separate companies from the light rail transport in many cases.

The statistics associated with metros are very clear and no there is no confusion for debate here.
Really? What would you define Paris' RER then? It fits all of the definitions you gave for a metro, but its never counted in Paris' total metro network because of its arbitrary designation as a "regional rail" instead of "metro" despite functioning exactly the same way as Shanghai metro or Beijing subway. This is exactly what I'm saying. Chinese metros have dual rapid transit and regional rail functionality. To say that Beijing's network more than twice the size of Paris' (~500 km to ~200 km) is extremely misleading because it leaves out the RER due to an arbitrary naming categorization. Similarly, Chinese urban rail systems (including Beijing and Shanghai) are tiny compared to that of Tokyo's and NYC's, but due to an arbitrary categorization for "metro", Tokyo and NYC have only ~300-350 kms while Beijing and Shanghai have ~500 kms. But how is Shanghai metro line 11 or line 16 different from the LIRR/NJ Transit/Metro North? The LIRR/NJ Transit/Metro North even has far higher frequencies during rush hours. How are they different from the Yamanote Line/Utsunomiya Line and all those random suburban lines in Tokyo?

I feel that this is important because Beijing and Shanghai and some other Chinese cities are certainly comparable in size and geographic area to NYC and Tokyo. But if all they have is an oversized metro system with ~700 km, then their urban rail infrastructure is far too small to accommodate the needs of +20 million people. NYC and Tokyo both have over 2,000 km of urban rail for +20 million.

Last edited by drunkenmunkey888; March 7th, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #538
kunming tiger

I have concur with that rather precise definition .

I can only speculate that some people want to broaden the definition of Metro on this forum in order to artificially inflate the stats of some mass transist systems moreover the older ones so they remain on paper at least larger than their Chinese counterparts.

To counter the perception that the Chinese may something larger or better . That is only reason I could think of for changing a clear cut long standing definition.

Norge78 liked this post
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #539
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5733

Line 3 to open no later than 2015.04.10

http://chuansong.me/n/1241629

Norge78, dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:11 AM   #540
ccdk

Likes (Received): 933

Nanjing Metro Line 3 commences operation today (2015.4.1)

Tags
metro, nanjing