daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

BIRMINGHAM | City Library | Com

Birmingham city council has unveiled its new City Library designed by Mecanoo architects of the Netherlands.

From the BBC.

New £193m library design revealed

The library would be partly integrated with the Rep
Designs for a £193m library for Birmingham have been unveiled.

The Library of Birmingham in Centenary Square would be mostly made of glass and partly integrated with the Birmingham Repertory Theatre (Rep).

The facility, including a public balcony and an elevated garden, is due to open in 2013.

The project would create 250 new jobs, organisers said. The city council has said the present building in Paradise Place is outdated.

The current library was once referred to by Prince Charles as looking like "a place where books are incinerated, not kept".

Construction on the new library is due to start next year.

The new facility, close to Baskerville House, is to be integrated with the Rep at ground floor and mezzanine level.

'Flagship project'

The shared entrance would be below the public balcony.

The Rep is also to be renovated under the plans, which include new workshops and new staff accommodation.

New foyers and a 300-seat studio theatre are planned which would be shared by the Rep and the library.

The developers said the library would provide 20% more space than the existing facility.

They said it would be capable of accommodating up to 10,000 visitors a day, doubling the figure for the current building.

Dutch architects Mecanoo Architecten are behind the design.

Public consultation on the design will run from mid-April through to mid-May.

The Library of Birmingham development has been described as a "flagship project" of the Big City Plan focusing on the regeneration of the city.

Last edited by desertpunk; October 2nd, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
jayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Lovely, too be honest I think the building looks horrifying.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

No pictures are showing up for me (for some strange reason) so I did a search on Google.

The old library is actually pretty cool, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Is this the new library's design?

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Or is this the new design?

Birmingham's coming up trumps in recent years, considering the new New Street Station, Selfridges etc.
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
mikey23

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Or is this the new design?

Birmingham's coming up trumps in recent years, considering the new New Street Station, Selfridges etc.
Yeah thats the one.
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Europes biggest civic lilbrary. The dome at the top is a memorial to Shakespeare.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1310

It looks more like a cylinder, I personally do like most of it. I can see why people would not like it though, however whether people like it or not it will easily become an icon for the city!
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #8
MTF

Likes (Received): 203

To me it looks alright, better than the current one.
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #9
xavi83

Likes (Received): 37

it looks incredible in the first pic...wowww
xavi83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Also note that the giant hole in front of the building is also part of the project. This will be in the centre of Centenary Square - a tired-looking and rather dated public square. This scheme involves a lot more than just a new library - it's a whole new environment for Broad Street!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1310

Seems like the world is never interested in Brum!
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Thats why we are building what we are at the moment. To make the world interested. Maybe its up to us Brummies to brag across these forums that Birmingham is bucking the trend and is currently in the process off Europes biggest city regeneration and is involved in a building boom that is keeping people interested in this countrys construction sector outside London.

I mean, even a national rag which spends very little time on Birmingham has come to admit its in the mist of an unprecedented building boom and they are keeping tabs on it and getting just as excited about it as the locals.

We havent even started yet either. Birmingham really will be one of Europes top cities in the next decade. Infact. It'll be hard pushed to find a more concentrated city of modern development not only asthetic but worthwhile.

Just enjoy it then let the world find out in thier own time.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
Lovely, too be honest I think the building looks horrifying.
Agreed! Birmingham should have laughed this architect out the door and arrested him for proposing THAT monstrosity. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but SO much of today's modern architecture is terrible.
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #14
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
Agreed! Birmingham should have laughed this architect out the door and arrested him for proposing THAT monstrosity. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but SO much of today's modern architecture is terrible.
The architect is a her.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #15
LIVdb

Likes (Received): 0

It will certainly end up being an icon but I'm not so sure of the design. I guess everyone will have their own personal opinion.
LIVdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #16
aclifford

Likes (Received): 89

Looks fantastic to me, fresh and beyond modern. I hope it gets built as i'd love to see it in the flesh.
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #17
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclifford View Post
Looks fantastic to me, fresh and beyond modern.
Nope. Cladding patterns like that has been used for pretty much a millennium, albeit in stone to decorate buildings internally. How they will look externally is anyone's guess - I don't think the pattern's been used externally before.

It's interesting that Birmingham is pushing it's boundaries on exotic cladding though. Selfridges looks a treat, if a bit tacky; the Cube's cladding is looking interesting and I don't think this will be any different. Love it or hate it architecture... I hate it. It's a hideous '60s lump of a building that's got silly circular wallpaper hiding it. The internal cylinder is architecturally interesting but you can't really judge it before it's built. The much more refined Baskerville house next door has so much more class, but will unfortunately be overwhelmed by this monstrosity.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #18
mikey23

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...-188m-library/

Quote:
Large scale excavation work has been carried out at the site of the new £188million Birmingham Library with tower cranes set to move on to site next month.

The Rep theatre extension has been demolished with piling works well under way and due to be completed by the end of May.

A dramatic glass-fronted library, which will cover 31,000 sq ft, is being built between Birmingham Repertory Theatre and Baskerville House in Centenary Square and is set to open its doors in 2013.

Wolverhampton-based Carillion is carrying out the work.

Project director Charles Baldwin said: “One of the large tower cranes will be erected at the end of May which will service the main structure when it commences in June.

“The project remains on target for completion in 2013.”

The 10-storey library has been designed by Dutch architects Mecanoo and will create 250 jobs.

More than three million people are expected to use it every year.
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #19
3SPIRES

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Europes biggest civic lilbrary. The dome at the top is a memorial to Shakespeare.
Are Brum trying to claim Shakespeare now?
3SPIRES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #20
mikey23

Ha, no. Although the Shakespeare room is the only surviving part of the Victorian Library

Quote:
Shakespeare Memorial Room

The room, created in 1882 to house the Shakespeare Library, was designed by John Henry Chamberlain who was responsible for re-building the old Central Library after the original building was gutted by fire. He also designed Highbury. He was an admirer of John Ruskin and Gothic architecture, and a founder member of the Shakespeare Club.
When the Central Library was demolished in 1974 the room was dismantled and stored, and was eventually re-erected as part of the School of Music complex. It is now used mainly for private meetings, but is opened to the public on City Centre Discovery Day.

Tags
birmingham, birmingham uk, city library