daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Architecture, Infrastructure, and Urban Issues

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #61
houssam

Likes (Received): 0

yeah right .. and that's why 90% of u guys apply to AUB first ....

LEBANON LEBANON LEBANON LEBANON LEBANON
LEBANON LEBANON
LEBANON LEBANON LEBANON

houssam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #62
havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houssam View Post
yeah right .. and that's why 90% of u guys apply to AUB first ....
who are 'u guys'? LAU's pool of applicants has doubled yearly since 2007.. meaning today it is 16 times as large as it was in 2007. besides, the amount of lebanese applicants does not exactly define the quality of eduation. if AUB were renamed today it would get 90% less applicants, people apply simply because all they hear about is AUB. open your eyes and look at the world.
havoc. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #63
Ramy H

Likes (Received): 32

Hey havoc. I am not a graduate or a student of LAU [ I go to school outside leb], however I have been to the campus a few times, and I know lots of people that go there.

The main issue I think lies with that people think LAU = free diploma. They get this impression because LAU students are always going out and everything and they assume they do zero work. But you are right, LAU (and actually a lot of other universities in Lebanon) are all catching up to AUB in some way (either by program, curriculum, or success rate of graduates).
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #64
houssam

Oh relax dude .... i was just kidding.. well kinda... :P
AUB is the better School and u know it.... :P

LEBANON LEBANON
LEBANON LEBANON LEBANON

houssam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #65
havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramy H View Post
Hey havoc. I am not a graduate or a student of LAU [ I go to school outside leb], however I have been to the campus a few times, and I know lots of people that go there.

The main issue I think lies with that people think LAU = free diploma. They get this impression because LAU students are always going out and everything and they assume they do zero work. But you are right, LAU (and actually a lot of other universities in Lebanon) are all catching up to AUB in some way (either by program, curriculum, or success rate of graduates).
Actually that has changed a little in recent years... that was what we'd hear two or three years ago... now its a simple 'AUB is better' because there isnt any justification, accreditation status is unquestinable and performance of graduates has increase exponentially. that being said, the AUB campus is a place that ill never grow out of.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #66
ramynasser

Likes (Received): 8

NDU is in a strong development. Engineering received NEASC accreditation.

The campus is getting bigger and bigger. Soon a gaz station lol ridiculous i know...
ramynasser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #67
Ramy H

Likes (Received): 32

NO way! A gas station on campus? hahahah thats hillarious
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #68
Jayme
Melburnian

Likes (Received): 2

My cousin goes there, she told me it has the image of being a school for snobs and rich kids.... LAU makes fun of Balamand.

I think Balamand is great Uni, has anyone checked it out?
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #69
annie23

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc. View Post
who are 'u guys'? LAU's pool of applicants has doubled yearly since 2007.. meaning today it is 16 times as large as it was in 2007. besides, the amount of lebanese applicants does not exactly define the quality of eduation. if AUB were renamed today it would get 90% less applicants, people apply simply because all they hear about is AUB. open your eyes and look at the world.

I was there ,the pool of applicants has doubled because now everyone wants to copy ex LAU students ,it's a prestige thing mostly ,wherever you go ,when they find out you're an LAU graduate they envy you,it's like Lebanese girls envying for clothes ,even the poor now want to apply to LAU even if it means it will cost their savings just because they think it has a reputable name ,to meet rich people and because girls there parade around in their best clothes,but I don't think LAU as a university is a top university except for the school of Pharmacy and Engineering .
annie23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #70
havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie23 View Post
I was there ,the pool of applicants has doubled because now everyone wants to copy ex LAU students ,it's a prestige thing mostly ,wherever you go ,when they find out you're an LAU graduate they envy you,it's like Lebanese girls envying for clothes ,even the poor now want to apply to LAU even if it means it will cost their savings just because they think it has a reputable name ,to meet rich people and because girls there parade around in their best clothes,but I don't think LAU as a university is a top university except for the school of Pharmacy and Engineering .
when where you there? 70% of the student body benefits from financial aid... im not so sure there's prestige there. the things is 10years ago LAU had 4 schools and no accreditation. today it has 7 schools, much more majors, much greater capacity due to two continiously expanding campuses, and 4 accreditations, 2 of which are unique in lebanon.

the gas station is the coolest thing i've heard in a while! do you have photos or schematics?

balamand has reputation but no accreditation... i haven't come accross much graduates in my daily life but there are an ALBA graduate or two teaching at the LAU school of design.

Last edited by havoc.; November 13th, 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #71
havoc.

The new Frem Civic Center at LAU opened its doors to students in Fall 2010.

Photo by Ramzi Naja.
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #72
annie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc. View Post
when where you there? 70% of the student body benefits from financial aid... im not so sure there's prestige there. the things is 10years ago LAU had 4 schools and no accreditation. today it has 7 schools, much more majors, much greater capacity due to two continiously expanding campuses, and 4 accreditations, 2 of which are unique in lebanon.

the gas station is the coolest thing i've heard in a while! do you have photos or schematics?

balamand has reputation but no accreditation... i haven't come accross much graduates in my daily life but there are an ALBA graduate or two teaching at the LAU school of design.
I think it's for both financial aid and prestige,but the accreditation is not that important ,lots of LAU graduates still work here in Lebanon and haven't accomplished something that important,they are no longer accepting Pharm D graduates in US because they're prioritizing their graduates ,so even though they've earned the accreditation @ LAU,lots of LAU graduates are still working in Lebanon and earning as much as a Lebanese University student is earning,plus Lebanese University students don't go out as much as LAU students so they think LAU students are living the high life,that's why people envy LAU students because of the social life.
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #73
annie23

And trust me it's not 70%,it's hardly 50 %
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #74
havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie23 View Post
And trust me it's not 70%,it's hardly 50 %
The 70% is not my estimate, its a factual published and approved figure. A lot of what you are saying is based on assumption. Check western LAU alumni chapters and you will see that a more than decent number of graduates is well employed in the United States and other western countries. At the end of the day university education is a tool, how much you exploit it takes you place, those who sit and watch its glory get nowhere. Others teach at prestigious north american universities, persue post graduate studies in NYU, Harvard GSD, Yale, etc.. And I would bet the LAU graduates doing so outnumber the LU graduates.
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #75
ramynasser

Likes (Received): 8

LAU has always been recognized as the most prestigious college lebanon has ever known. Since my father was there (ex BUC) until know it remains the same. Student always benefit from financial aids but still credits are really expensive.

I had a schematic plan for NDU's development plan u can still check it from NDU's website:

new things to build : biggest basketball court in lebanon (8000 seats)

football stadium
theatre (we already have one but they are building a second one)
swimming pools
public garden
artificial lac
new faculties
more parking lots
ramynasser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #76
havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramynasser View Post
LAU has always been recognized as the most prestigious college lebanon has ever known. Since my father was there (ex BUC) until know it remains the same. Student always benefit from financial aids but still credits are really expensive.

I had a schematic plan for NDU's development plan u can still check it from NDU's website:

new things to build : biggest basketball court in lebanon (8000 seats)

football stadium
theatre (we already have one but they are building a second one)
swimming pools
public garden
artificial lac
new faculties
more parking lots
not as expensive as AUB and other universities... if you factor in the financial aid, merit scolarships, work-study programs, and student employment you will be surprised by how littler the number is.

could you provide a link?
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #77
Rabih
Smirk4Life

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Soon passwords will be verified by the way they are typed
By IB Times Staff Reporter | May 19, 2011 5:18 AM EDT

Researchers at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon are working on strengthening an approach to password security which is not just about what the user will type, but will deal with the way the user will type, reports said.

Wes Masri, Ali El-Hajj and Ravel Jabbour of the American University of Beirut have designed a software that aspires to develop, upon past attempts at linking password verification to the speed and rhythm of the user's keystrokes, a method called Key Pattern Analysis (KPA).

As a substitute to just measuring the time-lapse between keystrokes, the researchers will also measure how long each key remains pressed. They declared that this extra parameter of "intra" timing will considerably improve dependable authentication and will develop the overall KPA approach.

The user will just need to enter the password multiple times to set-up a log-in. The program will then create a user profile based on the intra and inter timings and other parameters like the relationship between two keys (digraph) or three keys (trigraph). This profile will then be stored for future comparison when the user logs in again.

The researchers said they have also integrated secure “group” functionality into the system to fight a drawback which will arrive when passwords will be shared between a set of users.
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1483...#ixzz1Mn9PNcdN

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #78
חבר1.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Your universities look so much better than ours (except for maybe Tel Aviv university, which is pretty nice and modern). My university, which was ranked one of the top 120 universities in the world, looks like such a piece of shit in comparison. Our library was literally falling apart--- to describe it as atrocious is an understatement. It used to close at 8pm every day during the week and was closed on the weekends. So it was impossible to get work done there. My Lebanese ex, who studied at a Lebanese university, said that the library was worse than anything she'd seen in Lebanon. It looked like it would fit in Dahiyeh, but I wouldn't want to insult them....
חבר1.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM   #79
■ops´
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by חבר1.0 View Post
Your universities look so much better than ours (except for maybe Tel Aviv university, which is pretty nice and modern). My university, which was ranked one of the top 120 universities in the world, looks like such a piece of shit in comparison. Our library was literally falling apart--- to describe it as atrocious is an understatement. It used to close at 8pm every day during the week and was closed on the weekends. So it was impossible to get work done there. My Lebanese ex, who studied at a Lebanese university, said that the library was worse than anything she'd seen in Lebanon. It looked like it would fit in Dahiyeh, but I wouldn't want to insult them....
LOL funny since the most organized, the most beautiful and the biggest LU campus is in Dahye.
LU Libraries have weird/stupid regulations.. yours used to close at 8 pm? meh mine does at 4 pm and remain so during weekends as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by חבר1.0 View Post
Bopsi, you seem too smart to not graduate at or near the top of your class.
woa an actual compliment! why thank you.
■ops´ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #80
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 22

the Hadath Campus (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...+hariri+campus) is not just the biggest LU campus but the biggest campus among all universities... and it closes at 11 pm and stays open 7 days a week !!
As for the Da7ye, it is not so bad... i've been living there for about 7 months now and actually and i've learned to like it !! yeah it has it's bad neighborhoods but IMO it is way to big and diverse to stereotype and say it's Lebanon's Kandahar !!