daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1
lukasargyros

Likes (Received): 1

Can One Photo tell it all?

My interest in the use of photography of a city, is can one photo tell the story or identity of a city. This one photo must be able to communicate the architecture, the people, the lifestyle, etc.

It must be taken from a persons perspective, absolutely must focus on the scale of the city, the spatial conditions, fabric of the city.

Maybe this can be. I dont necessarily hope that a picture of the Empire State building will yield the answer "New York City". I hope for an image of a city that communicates what the city is all about without using words...simply look at the image and say "yo la tengo"..."i got it"

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

nice pic of Tokyo
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #3
lukasargyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
nice pic of Tokyo

well im not looking for sarcasm, but thanks for replying
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #4
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

sarcasm is part of SSC: Welcome
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244651

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasargyros View Post

My interest in the use of photography of a city, is can one photo tell the story or identity of a city. This one photo must be able to communicate the architecture, the people, the lifestyle, etc.

It must be taken from a persons perspective, absolutely must focus on the scale of the city, the spatial conditions, fabric of the city.

Maybe this can be. I dont necessarily hope that a picture of the Empire State building will yield the answer "New York City". I hope for an image of a city that communicates what the city is all about without using words...simply look at the image and say "yo la tengo"..."i got it"
Nice idea @lukasargyros examble this beautiful pic is from Venice (Venezia), Italy; the most awesome and stunning place in E.U. and the all world

btw your name sounds Greek? Are you from Greece?
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #6
lukasargyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Nice idea @lukasargyros examble this beautiful pic is from Venice (Venezia), Italy; the most awesome and stunning place in E.U. and the all world

btw your name sounds Greek? Are you from Greece?
my father was born in Thessaloniki, Greece and moved to the states when he was 6. I was born and raised in New York and currently reside here. Although I will be moving to Germany for two years to continue my Architectural education.

Unfortuneatly I do not speak Greek, but hopefull after I pick up German I will learn some Greek.

Thanks for the post!
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #7
plcmat

Likes (Received): 0

Obviously it is easier to capture a city with one photo when it has such a unique character as Venice (great pic!)

For an average run of the mill city it is probably impossible.
plcmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #8
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

This is ...... AUCKLAND !

This photo sums up Auckland for me. A young city striving to be bigger and better. A city that never needs an excuse to host a festival or to throw a party. A city that is home to 184 different Nationalities. A city that is the heartbeat of a small, young, beautiful and prosperous Nation that kicks way above its means.

Last edited by Mr_kiwi_fruit; April 10th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Mr_kiwi_fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #9
christos-greece
Moderator!

Weclome @lucasargyros

Quote:
Obviously you are very familiar with this site and how to upload many images. I have done a lot of travelling and have many images I wish to upload, but how do you load so many in each post?
First of all upload your pics into a host program, like for examble Photobucket.
You have 50 pics (examble)? Select all those pics to upload them
Then taking the URL by each photo you can post them here using the IMG code:
[img]first image's url[/img]
[img]second image's url[/img]
[img]third image's url[/img]
etc
etc

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #10
lukasargyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcmat View Post
Obviously it is easier to capture a city with one photo when it has such a unique character as Venice (great pic!)

For an average run of the mill city it is probably impossible.
i agree. but in the sense of knowing what city it is. for example if i took a picture of the empire state building, everyone will know it is New York City or a certain quality of a city that is well known then most people can recognize it. but take a city or town that is not well known, there is something about that town that can be captured in a photo. the lifestyle, the people, the architecture, etc.

its not necessarily about identifying what city it is but more of capturing the qualities of the city. so i wouldnt show a picture of the famous parts but the local areas that really make the city...but this is all about how i feel about places...we are all different.

but im a traveler and want to see as much as possible.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #11
lukasargyros

thank you christos!
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #12
christos-greece
Moderator!

Welcome
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #13
weird
vagamundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasargyros View Post
i agree. but in the sense of knowing what city it is. for example if i took a picture of the empire state building, everyone will know it is New York City or a certain quality of a city that is well known then most people can recognize it. but take a city or town that is not well known, there is something about that town that can be captured in a photo. the lifestyle, the people, the architecture, etc.

its not necessarily about identifying what city it is but more of capturing the qualities of the city. so i wouldnt show a picture of the famous parts but the local areas that really make the city...but this is all about how i feel about places...we are all different.

but im a traveler and want to see as much as possible.
I agree with plcmat. Some cities are not that different from people worldwide. I mean, probably any european can't see any difference between Sydney and SF if you don't show the icons.

Venice is so charming and easily recognizable but that doesn't happen in every single city.

Surely, if you post a pic trying to capture the essence of the city, most of the people worldwide just can tell you what country it is. Or maybe, just a big delimited zone.

Is not easy, but you can try. It's a good experiment
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #14
lukasargyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird View Post
I agree with plcmat. Some cities are not that different from people worldwide. I mean, probably any european can't see any difference between Sydney and SF if you don't show the icons.

Venice is so charming and easily recognizable but that doesn't happen in every single city.

Surely, if you post a pic trying to capture the essence of the city, most of the people worldwide just can tell you what country it is. Or maybe, just a big delimited zone.

Is not easy, but you can try. It's a good experiment
thanks for the positive feedback to the idea of this experiment. i love to travel and my favorite aspects of any place are the less known places....so i say keep it open and post pictures all you want of any place you have been. i love a good photo of a place i havent or have been to.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #15
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Good thread yes. I think so. It's quite obvious where this is.
image hosted on flickr
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote