daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which Airline is the best in SE Asia?
Vietnam Airlines 5 2.28%
Thai Airways International 31 14.16%
Garuda Indonesia 56 25.57%
Phillipine Airlines 18 8.22%
Singapore Airlines 81 36.99%
Malaysia Airlines 28 12.79%
Royal Brunei Airlines 0 0%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #41
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 21225

2014 update!

Garuda wins world's best cabin staff (sorry news in Indonesian)

http://news.detik.com/read/2014/07/1...-staff?9911012

This is Garuda this year (also with Thai Airway, Malaysia airline and Singapore airline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlhamBXT View Post
WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS

The World's Best Airline Cabin Crew
1 Garuda Indonesia
2 Cathay Pacific
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Asiana Airlines
5 Malaysia Airlines
6 Qatar Airways
7 EVA Air
8 ANA All Nippon Airways
9 Thai Airways
10 Hainan Airlines

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
World's Best Airline Economy Class

1 Asiana Airlines
2 Garuda Indonesia
3 Turkish Airlines
4 Qatar Airways
5 Cathay Pacific Airways
6 Singapore Airlines
7 EVA Air
8 Oman Air
9 Emirates
10 Thai Airways

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
Best Airline Staff Service in Asia

1 Thai Airways
2 Garuda Indonesia
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Asiana Airlines
5 Singapore Airlines
6 ANA All Nippon Airways
7 Bangkok Airways
8 Japan Airlines
9 EVA Air
10 Hainan Airlines

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
Airline of the Year 2014

1 Cathay Pacific Airways
2 Qatar Airways
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Emirates
5 Turkish Airlines
6 ANA All Nippon Airways
7 Garuda Indonesia
8 Asiana Airlines
9 Etihad Airways
10 Lufthansa

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
World's Best Airline Business Class

1 Qatar Airways
2 Cathay Pacific Airways
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Oman Air
5 Turkish Airlines
6 Qantas
7 Etihad Airways
8 Garuda Indonesia
9 Emirates
10 Hainan Airlines

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
Best Economy Class Airline Catering

1 Thai Airways
2 Turkish Airlines
3 Asiana Airlines
4 Etihad Airways
5 Cathay Pacific
6 Singapore Airlines
7 ANA All Nippon Airways
8 Emirates
9 Oman Air
10 Garuda Indonesia

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
The World's Best Airport Services

1 ANA All Nippon Airways
2 EVA Air
3 Thai Airways
4 Asiana Airlines
5 Cathay Pacific Airways
6 Korean Air
7 Garuda Indonesia
8 KLM
9 Qantas
10 Dragonair

source:http://www.worldairlineawards.com

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||

Parra 1 liked this post

Last edited by kevo123; July 15th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #42
kevo123
Indonesia

more, actually it is pretty impressive considering how new it is:

Quote:

THE WORLD'S BEST AIRLINES IN FIRST CLASS
Singapore Airlines
ANA All Nippon Airways
Etihad Airways
Cathay Pacific Airways
Emirates
Lufthansa
Qantas Airways
Qatar Airways
Garuda Indonesia
Japan Airlines

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
World's Best First Class Airline Seats

1 Emirates
2 Singapore Airlines
3 Etihad Airways
4 ANA All Nippon Airways
5 Cathay Pacific Airways
6 Garuda Indonesia
7 Japan Airlines
8 Asiana Airlines
9 Lufthansa
10 Korean Air

WORLD AIRLINE AWARDS
Best Airline First Class Comfort Amenities

1 Saudi Arabian Airlines
2 Emirates
3 Garuda Indonesia
4 Lufthansa
5 Etihad Airways
6 Singapore Airlines
7 Cathay Pacific Airways
8 ANA All Nippon Airways
9 Qatar Airways
10 Asiana Airlines

source:http://www.worldairlineawards.com

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||

Parra 1 liked this post

Last edited by kevo123; July 16th, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #43
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2638

garuda indonesia really changed !! what about malaysia airlines... hope garuda indonesia upgrade to 5 star airlines

renshapratama, iamfernandoreza liked this post
Azrain98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #44
kevo123
Indonesia

hope so, it seems very likely after the T3 ultimate of Jakarta is finished

Parra 1, Azrain98 liked this post
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #45
renshapratama
Travel Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 2716

so proud of you Garuda! Keep improve the quality

Share your best pic on Instagram in here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1992105
renshapratama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #46
hadi_rahman
Indonesian

Likes (Received): 418

Garuda Indonesia is to be confirmed as the world's newest 5-Star Airline
11th December 2014 - London, UK | http://www.airlinequality.com/news/G...tar-rating.htm

Quote:
Skytrax have confirmed that Garuda Indonesia is to be announced as the newest member of the exclusive group of 5-Star Airlines.

Commenting on the 5-Star Airline rating to be announced, Edward Plaisted, CEO of Skytrax said: "This is recognition of the major turnaround in quality standards at Garuda Indonesia, reflecting the hard work by the airline in recent years, and we delighted to confirm that they are now meeting the 5-Star Airline. This rating is based on an all-round assessment of the product and service, onboard and at the airport. We place a lot of importance on the fact that the majority of customers travel in Economy and it is the quality and consistency of those standards that contribute greatly to Garuda securing 5-Stars. Consistency of an airline's product and service is a major part of the 5-Star rating, with Garuda's long haul fleet now offering Business Class flat-bed seating and 32-34 inch seat pitch in Economy Class. Customers can also experience the new First and Business Class 5-Star service concept rolled out across the Boeing 777-300ER fleet."

This 5-Star Airline rating also takes account of planned airport and service changes in 2015, when Garuda will transfer to the new Terminal 3 at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, it's home base hub. This will provide a new home for Garuda Indonesia and SkyTeam member airlines, improving the travel experience through enhanced transfers and airport service, together with improved and expanded premium passenger facilities.

Garuda Indonesia has one of the youngest fleets in Asia with an average aircraft age of just 4.02 years (December 2014), consisting of 130 aircraft, and due to grow to 145 aircraft in 2015.

The "Garuda Indonesia Experience" brings hospitality, culture, and everything best from Indonesia through five senses, namely sight, sound, taste, scent, and touch, to be implemented in the service of pre-journey, pre-flight, in-flight, post-flight, and post journey.

Congratulations Garuda Indonesia

Bhinneka Tunggal Ika

hadi_rahman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #47
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Congratulations Garuda!
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #48
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

I congratulate Garuda for their new-found achievement. Now, I wonder who can help me (and my Filipino colleagues) address the woes and issues found in Philippine Airlines, especially that I find it as a "lost cause" because the current management cannot make up their minds on whether it is truly a full service carrier, or is it a low-cost carrier (LCC). To me, the state of PAL is a wannabe LCC seeking profits after a long turmoil of being in Category 2 by the Federal Aviation Administration in the United States, and I definitely need some advice on how to rebuild PAL from the ground up.

It's not that I am jealous of the achievements found in Garuda, Singapore, or Thai Airways, but, I believe PAL can also become a best carrier, not only in Southeast Asia, but also among the best in the world. To me, this will be my neutral ground on assessing where PAL is now, where it can go in the future, and how best to address them.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #49
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

I can think of one thing that can be improved: IFE

Unless I'm quite mistaken, IFE is limited to PAL's 77W. If it can be installed fleet-wide it would help improve passengers' perception of PAL (consider that SQ, CX, GA and MH offer IFE even on short haul flights, the latter two on narrow body aircraft).
georgiaame

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

Old December 13th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #50
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Absolutely. I will keep that in mind. There have been users in the Philippine Forums who think that IFE machines will add extra weight to aircraft (which is true), but it can provide immensely better service for passengers who want more than just surfing the net, sleep, or read a book. If it were me, I would roll that out on the following:

- most A320 aircraft (except the all-Y config)
- all A321 aircraft
- all of the new A330 aircraft (especially on the dense Y config)

With the A340s, I think those can come out when those are rehabilitated.

But, I think better IFE is only part of a larger equation... what do you think? I mean, I am looking at the big dilemma that, despite it being a major Southeast Asian carrier, Philippine Airlines is not on any airline alliance, nor it has received any coveted airline awards from the global aviation industry.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #51
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Couldn't have articulated that better myself! It is indeed a single component of a much larger equation! Another component I'd mention, and this is a biggie, is Ninoy Aquino International, its base. I haven't heard great things about it, especially about the general state of the terminal. If the transit experience at MNL can be improved upon, to match that at Changi and HKIA (KUL should improve as well IMO), Manila could be a formidable trans-Pacific hub; a vital link between Southeast Asia, and the US West Coast.

It could very well be beneficial for PAL to join an alliance. Some travellers choose the airlines they fly with based on that (such as myself choosing oneworld member airlines, with my QR frequent flyer membership).

There's a lot that PAL can offer to its potential affiliates, and there's a lot that its potential affiliates can offer PAL. As I've mentioned above, MNL could be a major trans-Pacific hub, and PAL could potentially offer the sort of frequency and coverage to the rest of ASEAN rivaled only by CX. And that's just transit traffic; I've yet to mention the vast Filipino disapora in the States. They, along with with Philippines-bound travellers would make up a pretty sizeable O&D market between the Philippines and the US. However, PAL itself can't profitably fly to secondary destinations in the US. With alliance membership, PAL could tap into a greater pool of customers, via a US-based affiliate's network. Which alliance would you have PAL join?
georgiaame

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #52
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Exactly what I was thinking as well. As for alliance, that would be a big dilemma too since SE Asia and neighboring Hong Kong and Taiwan are already dominant members...

Star Alliance: EVA Air, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways
oneworld: Cathay Pacific, Malaysia Airlines
Skyteam: China Airlines, Garuda Indonesia, Vietnam Airlines

If PAL is to join any of the big three, my most logical choice would be oneworld since it has helped in starting up Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines, both of which are members of oneworld, and it has deep connections between Manila and Hong Kong. However, for that to happen, PAL will definitely need so much improvements, both on the airline and airport end, so that it can even be considered for membership. I have read before that the alliance itself is tapping on the airline to join oneworld so that its reach in Southeast Asia will be complete...

Another option could be Star Alliance, especially that PAL has established codesharing for its Philippine-Japan flights and domestic services (within Japan and within the Philippines), and there are quite a lot of Star Alliance flights operating from Manila. Perhaps a last option could be the upcoming Etihad Airways Group (which now consists of multiple airlines from Asia and Europe) since Philippine Airlines has a strong partnership with the Abu Dhabi-based carrier. And Etihad, being part of the Middle East Big 3, provides a substantial amount of connections the Philippines needs, especially for flights to Europe and Africa. In return, Etihad could codeshare on PAL flights for its Transpacific services to the United States, Hawaii, and Canada.

How about you?

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #53
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

In terms of balancing things out, OneWorld would indeed be the prudent choice. But MNL's geographical position, as well as what could be PAL's bread and butter, the Asean-US market, would put it at odds with HKG and CX. StarAlliance already has pretty wide coverage in Asean with SQ/MI and TG, and that leaves us with SkyTeam. SkyTeam may be the second largest airline alliance, but I'm not sure if GA and VN cover Asean quite as well as it could (CGK and DPS being too far south to act as regional hubs for anyone travelling from further North, VN's split operations between HAN and SGN prevent either from providing full coverage to the rest of Asean). If PAL could centre their operations around MNL, and leave secondary routes and hubs to a subsidiary, I think SkyTeam might come knocking on the door.
georgiaame

Last edited by ScuderiaVincero; December 13th, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old December 13th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #54
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Good points as well. Yeah, I think Skyteam definitely needs some assistance on the Transpacific sector... but could that be at odds with China Airlines operating several Transpacific routes already from Taipei? And yet, with the dilemma of Garuda being a bit too south from the main routes and Vietnam Airlines' limited network, it might make a lot of sense for PAL to join Skyteam. Who would sponsor the airline, though, if there are two SE Asian carriers in it already?

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #55
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
Another component I'd mention, and this is a biggie, is Ninoy Aquino International, its base. I haven't heard great things about it, especially about the general state of the terminal. If the transit experience at MNL can be improved upon, to match that at Changi and HKIA (KUL should improve as well IMO), Manila could be a formidable trans-Pacific hub; a vital link between Southeast Asia, and the US West Coast.

[...]

There's a lot that PAL can offer to its potential affiliates, and there's a lot that its potential affiliates can offer PAL. As I've mentioned above, MNL could be a major trans-Pacific hub, and PAL could potentially offer the sort of frequency and coverage to the rest of ASEAN rivaled only by CX. And that's just transit traffic; I've yet to mention the vast Filipino diaspora in the States. They, along with with Philippines-bound travellers would make up a pretty sizeable O&D market between the Philippines and the US. However, PAL itself can't profitably fly to secondary destinations in the US. With alliance membership, PAL could tap into a greater pool of customers, via a US-based affiliate's network. Which alliance would you have PAL join?
I can truly see a strong potential for Manila being a true transit hub, being strategically located on one of the furthest possible points for nonstop journeys to and from the United States. It's just that, at the moment, the government seems to take the renovations at Ninoy Aquino International Airport lightly (I call it cosmetic, if not pure lip service)... I think NAIA deserves much better than remaining as a chaotic, disconnected, and heavily bureaucratic airport. I've even thought of handing it over to the private sector so that they can run the Philippines' premier airport more efficiently and successfully... and I can truly sense that PAL has a lot of hidden potential that one of the things it should address is the "island mentality" the airline has (e.g. arrogance, lack of leadership skills, poor marketing, etc.)

Old December 13th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #56
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Good points as well. Yeah, I think Skyteam definitely needs some assistance on the Transpacific sector... but could that be at odds with China Airlines operating several Transpacific routes already from Taipei? And yet, with the dilemma of Garuda being a bit too south from the main routes and Vietnam Airlines' limited network, it might make a lot of sense for PAL to join Skyteam. Who would sponsor the airline, though, if there are two SE Asian carriers in it already?
The possibility is there for a little traffic being siphoned away from CI, but one of the advantages an alliance offers travellers is options. The more the better. More importantly, MNL, as we've come to a consensus on, has the potential to be a major trans-Pac hub, one that could serve as Southeast Asia's gateway to the US. The potential simply needs to be tapped into by PAL. Both SkyTeam and StarAlliance have hedged their bets with TPE, snapping up CI and BR respectively into their alliances, with varying degrees of success against the CX powerhouse and their base at HKG.Which alliance would be the first to see PAL's potential (and that of MNL as well)?
georgiaame

Old December 17th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #57
CGK-SFO

Likes (Received): 16

South East Asian flag carries that were or are rated 5 star by Skytrax: Thai, Malaysia, Singapore, and now Garuda.
C'mon Vietnam, Brunei, Myanmar, and Philippine( the oldest) ...at least go for four star!!

Garuda fan in SF!
CGK-SFO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #58
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I know! I also live in San Francisco too, representing the Filipino community. And, how would you make Philippine Airlines a 4-star airline if what's going on right now is that it cannot make up its mind on whether it should operate still as a LCC or a FSC? The hybrid format the airline is now doing may make some money, but it makes me confused of its true identity... I don't want it to act like AirAsia or Cebu Pacific for that matter. Cost savings from cutting essential flight features may not result in repeat flyers... that's why I think Philippine Airlines needs to have its "head checked" for adjustments and reform.

Old December 17th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #59
CGK-SFO

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I know! I also live in San Francisco too, representing the Filipino community. And, how would you make Philippine Airlines a 4-star airline if what's going on right now is that it cannot make up its mind on whether it should operate still as a LCC or a FSC? The hybrid format the airline is now doing may make some money, but it makes me confused of its true identity... I don't want it to act like AirAsia or Cebu Pacific for that matter. Cost savings from cutting essential flight features may not result in repeat flyers... that's why I think Philippine Airlines needs to have its "head checked" for adjustments and reform.
Well South East Asian airlines is all about customer service. Forget LCC or FSC, if PAL don't know how to please paying customers.....instead, downgrading Pax, good luck holding the three star. Never in service industry, customers are down graded. Read the Skytrax review for PAL. It's an embarrassment to the SEA aviation industry.

Last edited by CGK-SFO; December 17th, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
CGK-SFO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #60
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's exactly the reason I am so disappointed, frustrated, and agitated with PAL. It cannot truly make up its mind whether it truly wants to become a LCC-wannabe or return to its FSC roots. Yes, I know that PAL could be called the "black sheep" of Southeast Asian aviation, and I believe it can be rightfully called as such because of its intense struggles, not only internally, but also with the government regulating its aviation policies. Yet, I still have hope and faith for the airline to improve significantly, despite the challenges it faces. Remember that it has gone through a triple whammy:

- FAA downgrade to Category 2 (lasted for over 6 years)
- ICAO Significant Safety Concerns (lasted for 3 years)
- EU Blacklist for all Philippine carriers (lasted for 4 years)

Through all of that, multiple changes have taken place, from replacing the agency that handles aviation safety to a rethinking for all local carriers (PAL included). Yes, we may have incurred losses, but, once PAL was taken off from the EU Blacklist and regained Category 1 status from the FAA, it is in a fragile state wherein:

- Any mistake or mishap from the Philippine civil aviation authority could cause a downgrade yet again from either agency;
- The airline is recouping all the losses it has occurred, partly as a result of the long downgrade and ban;
- Philippine Airlines has just retired its B747-400 fleet in favor of the B777-300ER for its flagship routes to the US, and has to downgrade its nonstop London service with an A340-300 due to lack of aircraft; and
- PAL has to keep itself in the black for a period of time before starting to reinvest again in its fleet, maintenance, and lost opportunities occurred during those dark moments in Philippine aviation history.

I can say that PAL has truly become a disgrace that I really have second thoughts on when (or whether) it will improve significantly to the liking of many aviation fans... yet, I believe that through immense pressure and a little push, I think the airline can finally find its way back to becoming a full-fledged full service carrier instead of keeping up with the hybrid model (half-LCC, half-FSC).

If you were to improve Philippine Airlines, therefore, where would you start, and what would you do to make it a better airline than where it is today?