daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #61
jlch1987

Likes (Received): 0

Concerts in stadiums / arenas

Post pics of concerts inside stadiums and arenas, and discuss about the acoustics, accomodations and capacity of such venues, and things else...

An example...

Bigger Bang - Rolling Stones on Fenway Park

On River Plate Stadium

U2 - 360° on Veltins Arena

on Camp Nou

jlch1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #62
Leandro_lenz
Comeback User

Likes (Received): 5891

The river plate Stadium it's the best stadium in SA, the sound is great and regard to the infrastructure is first rate.
A lot of bands have played here like:Tina Turner, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Ericon, Prince, Guns N' Roses, Elton John, Serú Girán, Paul McCartney, Madonna, Michael Jackson, KISS, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones: played 5 times on the bigger bang tour , Bon Jovi, AC/DC, The Ramones, Luis Miguel,Soda Stereo: played 6 times on Me Veras Volver Tour (yes 1 more than rolling stones, SS is the best rock band in SA), Pantera, U2, Metallica, Rammstein, Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota, La Renga, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Los Piojos, Shakira,Robbie Williams, Bad Religion , Aerosmith, Velvet Revolver, Roger Waters, Evanescence, Keane, The Police, Chayanne, High School Musical, Ozzy Osbourne, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Korn, Black Label Society, Oasis, Metallica, Coldplay.

Argentina's fans are so passionate, if anyone does not know the iron man 2 video with the music of AC / DC is the concert in Buenos Aires in this stadium. I give you the link if you did not see

Clapt

some pics:

soda stereo show

iron maiden show

ac/dc show

los redondos show

soda stereo show

soda stereo show

soda stereo show
Leandro_lenz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #63
dande

Likes (Received): 27

Which one of the BIG indoor arenas in North America can accomodate "outdoor" track and field?

I know "The Eye" arena in Japan is big enough. My guess for North American ditto are Montreal Olympic stadium, Rogers Centre Toronto and Lousiana Superdome.
dande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:13 AM   #64
Slam321

Likes (Received): 19

Palais Bercy, France

Slam321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #65
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10450

mods please delete..

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Last edited by bd popeye; September 10th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #66
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Most of the posts in this thread aren't about multipurpose stadiums and arenas, but rather other events being held in purpose built venues. Just because Fenway has hosted concerts the odd football game, soccer game and a hockey game does not make it a multipurpose facility, its a ballpark. The Metrodome is a multipurpose facility, the Siatama Super Arena is multipurpose ect.
Posting any facility that has hosted a concert would make every stadium on earth multipurpose and that is not the intent of this thread.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #67
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Completely agree Benn. Most of the stadiums posted in this thread aren't true multi-purpose stadiums or arenas. I'd certainly agree that a stadium like the Saitama Super Arena is a better example of a multi-purpose stadium. To a lesser extent I'd include stadiums with movable seating. Examples of which are;
Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium in Australia allowing both rectangular sports and Australian Rules Football/Cricket to be played.
Stade De France allowing both athletics and rectangular sports.
Hisense Arena in Melbourne, a stadium with a velodrome and movable seats making it a conventional arena.
(Sorry examples are rather OZ specific).
kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #68
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

basically you just qualified every NBA/NHL arena. They take seating movements to arrange for the different sporting events.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #69
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Which is fine if they actually have telescoping seating, if they just put some chairs on a flat floor behind the basket in a hockey arena I don't think that counts.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #70
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Which is fine if they actually have telescoping seating, if they just put some chairs on a flat floor behind the basket in a hockey arena I don't think that counts.
Just to clarify this is exactly what I was talking about. It might have been clearer had I said retractable seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai View Post
Melbourne - Hisense Arena

When I originally posted this I didn't have an image of the stadium in it's velodrome configuration. You can see that the seating is suspended from the roof.

kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #71
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai View Post
Completely agree Benn. Most of the stadiums posted in this thread aren't true multi-purpose stadiums or arenas. I'd certainly agree that a stadium like the Saitama Super Arena is a better example of a multi-purpose stadium. To a lesser extent I'd include stadiums with movable seating. Examples of which are;
Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium in Australia allowing both rectangular sports and Australian Rules Football/Cricket to be played.
Stade De France allowing both athletics and rectangular sports.
Hisense Arena in Melbourne, a stadium with a velodrome and movable seats making it a conventional arena.
(Sorry examples are rather OZ specific).
You can aslo add the new stadium of Lille, France (u/c) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Name: "Grand Stade" (New Stadium)
Tenant: Lille Olympique SC-Lille Métropole
Capacity: 50,283 seats (4,965 business seats + 83 suites)
Opening: 2012 (under construction)
Architects: Atelier Pierre Ferret, Valode & Pistres, jointly with Eiffage (construction)
Cost: €620-700M (Public–Private Partnership: Local Authorities & Eiffage + naming rights)
Retractable Roof + Movable Pitch (Indoor arena under the pitch)
Renewable energy (photovoltaic cells & wind turbines)
Rainwater collection system

(Euro 2016 candidate City)

Indoor Arena configuration:

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #72
MicroX

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post

yankee stadium, really?
MicroX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #73
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroX View Post
yankee stadium, really?
Yep the Original..

Boxing was really big in the US up through the late 50s. Many great matches occurred at original Yankee Stadium drawing crowds near 60,000.

From wiki..Italics are my edit

Quote:
Boxing

When Yankee Stadium opened in 1923, the Polo Grounds continued to host boxing matches; however, Yankee Stadium was home to prizefighting beginning in its first few months. Benny Leonard retained the lightweight championship in a 15-round decision over Lou Tendler on July 24, 1923, in front of more than 58,000 fans. It was the first of 30 championship bouts to be held at the Stadium. (This excludes dozens of non-title fights.) The boxing ring was placed over second base; a 15-foot (4.6 m) vault contained electrical, telegraph, and telephone connections. In July 1927, the aging former heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey came from behind to defeat heavily favored Jack Sharkey by delivering several questionable punches that were deemed illegal. Sharkey had similarly bad luck in a July 1930 heavyweight championship bout at Yankee Stadium, when his knockout punch to Max Schmeling was ruled illegal; Schmeling won by default. In July 1928, Gene Tunney upheld the heavyweight title against Tom Heeney at Yankee Stadium, and then retired as champion.

Perhaps the most famous boxing match ever held at Yankee Stadium was on June 22, 1938, when Joe Louis, an African-American, squared off against Schmeling, a German. Adolf Hitler followed the rematch carefully, imploring Schmeling to defeat Louis, whom Hitler publicly berated. This left some with what they perceived as a moral predicament: root for the black fighter, or for the Nazi. Schmeling had defeated Louis in 1936, but in defense of his title, Louis knocked out Schmeling in the first round. This was one of eight championship fights the "Brown Bomber" fought at Yankee Stadium. The fight was the most significant fight in Yankee Stadium history with the world on the brink of World War II - a crowd of 66,277 witnessed Joe Louis take the heavyweight title from Max Schmeling via a devastating first round knockout.

On July 1, 1939, Max Baer defeated Lou Nova at Yankee Stadium, in the first televised boxing match in the United States. The event was broadcast by television station W2XBS, forerunner of WNBC-TV. (The World Series was not televised until 1947.) On September 27, 1946, Tony Zale knocked out New York native Rocky Graziano for the middleweight crown; it was the first of three bouts between Zale and Graziano.

In 1946 when Joe Louis fought Billy Conn for the heavyweight title the gate was estimated at 75,000

On June 25, 1952, middleweight champion Sugar Ray Robinson sought his third title against light-heavyweight champ Joey Maxim at Yankee Stadium. More than 47,000 saw Robinson outfight Maxim but lose due to heat exhaustion in round 14 (due to the weather that topped 104-degrees Fahrenheit). The referee who declared Maxim the winner was the second that night; the first had left the fight due to heat exhaustion.

Jun 26, 1959 - They Floyd Patterson beat Roy Harris for the first time on June 26, 1959, at New York's Yankee Stadium before a paltry crowd of 18,215 filed into the 60,000-seat stadium. Pitiful. TV killed boxing in the US.

After its 1970s renovation, Yankee Stadium hosted only one championship fight. On September 28, 1976, a declining Muhammad Ali defended his heavyweight crown against Ken Norton. To that point, Norton was one of only two boxers who had beaten Ali (in 1973); this was their third, and final, meeting. Norton led for most of the fight, but Ali improved in the later rounds to win by unanimous decision.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #74
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dande View Post
I know "The Eye" arena in Japan is big enough. My guess for North American ditto are Montreal Olympic stadium, Rogers Centre Toronto and Lousiana Superdome.
Astrodome? It's never used, in fact it's probably all but abandoned. But it's still standing. Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis (retractable seats) is another possibility.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #75
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post

Few more uses you missed from Yankee Stadium's storied past:

Basketball:
image hosted on flickr

Soccer:
image hosted on flickr

Papal Mass:

And, of course the intended purpose, baseball:

image hosted on flickr

Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #76
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Stadiums as Concert Venues

NOTE: This thread is for outdoor stadiums ONLY

Throughout the world stadiums are often used for outdoor concerts. Here are a few:

Yankee Stadium (Jay-Z/Eminem):
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New Meadowlands Stadium (Bon Jovi):
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Giants Stadium (Springsteen)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #77
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

am i seeing incorrectly or is there seats on the field for both Jay z and Bon Jovi...... seriously wtf is all that about?
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #78
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Yeah that does seem weird. Really wrong for a rap/hip hop show.
Its not very Rock N' roll
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #79
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

One from U2 in Cardiff, I'm sure some one could post better ones.

Baptist Bookworm
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #80
rixvt
Maderense

Likes (Received): 190

Foro Sol, Mexico City (Paul MCcartney- Up and Coming Tour)

rixvt no está en línea   Reply With Quote