daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Projects & Construction > General Ethiopia

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
japopian

Likes (Received): 5

Ethiopian Rail Projects

Does anyone know anything about rail projects in Ethiopia?

Can we gather all information into one thread, I keep seeing and hearing things from here and there, but I don't really know whats going on.

And are they ACTUALLY going to be implemented?

I am waiting for the day of 'EthioRail' with high speed rail linking all major cities in the country

Sponsored Links

Old April 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Amanuel

Likes (Received): 0

At press time the public Ethiopian Railway Corporation was evaluating bids for an engineering procurement construction tender to erect a passenger rail service for Addis hoping to alleviate some of the stress on the city’s crowded roads. It is the first of its two ambitious projects that eventually hope to include a 5,000km national cargo network.

The line will have its epicenter meeting around the historical Ethiopia-Djibouti Railway Enterprise headquarters at Legehare. The north-south portion of the “T” shaped network will extend from Shero Meda to the Akaki roundabout hitting areas such as Piazza and Merkato, while the east-west segment will run from the Ayat roundabout to Jimma Ber at the western terminal after passing through Meskel Square. However, exact locations will be chosen after the project is awarded as the winner is expected to procure financing which may involve modifications in routes.

The massive project intending to bring a new commuter option to Addis is being spearheaded by Dr. Getachew Betru, general manager of the corporation, who sees huge gains for the city.

An official at the corporation told ACX that Hong Kong’s light rail system was looked on as a good example of what could be done. Albeit the huge logistical considerations to implement the project that was once a road construction task under the Addis Ababa City Roads Authority (AACRA) in an unplanned city, the capital could use a transportation face lift.
Amanuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 475

yeah, that one is for the capital city, good find.
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Here is one for mostly the northwest region (grain basket) of Ethiopia.

NEW ETHIOPIAN RAIL ROUTES
Quote:
Among the objectives of a new railway being planned in Ethiopia, are assistance to farmers keen to supply their produce to local and cross-border markets and the enhancement of domestic marketing by expanding access to commodities produced in remote areas.

Feasible routes for the proposed line are being identified by consultants working with officials from the Ethiopian Railway Corporation (ERC). Areas where work is proceeding include

Finote Selam, Bahir Dar, Wereta, Woldiya and Debrebrehan. Finote Selam and Woldia are seen as possible locations for “railway centres”. (These are all locations in the Amhara State of Ethiopia, northwest region where sesames and grains are grown)

SOURCE LINK

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #5
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

And here is a thread about the planned rail connect between Ethiopia and neighboring countries: New railway to link Ethiopia, Kenya, S.Sudan
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6
japopian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanuel View Post
At press time the public Ethiopian Railway Corporation was evaluating bids for an engineering procurement construction tender to erect a passenger rail service for Addis hoping to alleviate some of the stress on the city’s crowded roads. It is the first of its two ambitious projects that eventually hope to include a 5,000km national cargo network.

The line will have its epicenter meeting around the historical Ethiopia-Djibouti Railway Enterprise headquarters at Legehare. The north-south portion of the “T” shaped network will extend from Shero Meda to the Akaki roundabout hitting areas such as Piazza and Merkato, while the east-west segment will run from the Ayat roundabout to Jimma Ber at the western terminal after passing through Meskel Square. However, exact locations will be chosen after the project is awarded as the winner is expected to procure financing which may involve modifications in routes.

The massive project intending to bring a new commuter option to Addis is being spearheaded by Dr. Getachew Betru, general manager of the corporation, who sees huge gains for the city.

An official at the corporation told ACX that Hong Kong’s light rail system was looked on as a good example of what could be done. Albeit the huge logistical considerations to implement the project that was once a road construction task under the Addis Ababa City Roads Authority (AACRA) in an unplanned city, the capital could use a transportation face lift.
sounds like a great plan! what is the likelehood of this happening? I heard ages ago about a Light Rail being developed but something appeared in the news only once and then dissapeared. Also will people be able to afford to use it? and keep it clean?
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #7
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

There have been plans for light rail between Addis and Adama which are still being implemented. That one posted by Amanuel is for Addis only.

There are also plans for trolley system, and electric buses in Addis:

Ethiopia: Electric buses arrive in Addis Ababa

Quote:
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - RusAfro Trolley, the first electric bus in Africa which is soon planned to be manufactured in Ethiopia, will arrive in Addis Ababa on August 18, 2007.
“Besides solving the public transportation problems of Addis Ababa, it also contributes a lot in protecting the environment from pollution,” says Engineer Getachew Eshetu, Manager and owner of Afro-Asia Technical Trading Enterprise and 70 per cent share holder of Ethio-Russia electric bus.

LINK

There is even an electric bus assembly in Debre Markos, which cater to Addis and other E. African countries:

Ethiopia - Electric bus manufacturing on track

Quote:
The Russian Trolley Bus Company is planning to help establish an assembly plant in Ethiopia, where dozens more and bigger electric buses would be manufactured annually. Accordingly, commuter electric buses with a capacity of at least three times higher would be assembled locally and each would carry 400 passengers.
Most of the parts are planned to be manufactured locally and at a much lesser cost than the current 100K USD. It is also expected to create jobs for 5000 workers. The assembly plant is being constructed in Debre Marcos city of Amhara regional state.

LINK

Old April 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 149

Ethiopia does need to add more railway routes because the country only has one existing railway (between Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa).

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #9
japopian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Ethiopia does need to add more railway routes because the country only has one existing railway (between Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa).
yeah i agree. it could really benefit the economy just by employing all the people to build it. it should have a rail network going to all remote regions to connect the country. And then theres my idea of the "Sheba" network
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Gulivar

Likes (Received): 0

Only one?
Gulivar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3011

When the tensions between our nations tempers and both nations have real governments looking for collective success and partnerships, I can see the potential for rail lines connecting Ethiopia to Somalia's seacoasts. A landlocked nation with no real infrastructural links to a neighboring nation with the largest coastline in Africa (other than substandard dirt roads) is really pathetic.

Maybe a spur line from the existing railroad from Djibouti to Addis at Dire Dawa can be made, it could connect Harer to Hargeisa and onward to Berbera, connecting to the sea there. Maybe even in the further future (!) there can even be an entirely new line from Addis to Mogadishu. Then there could be a connection from Mogadishu to Nairobi, and one from Nairobi to Addis, making a triangle railroad network connecting all three capitals. Hopefully we can see the day when we're alive, although I'm not too sure it will ever happen.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #12
japopian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
When the tensions between our nations tempers and both nations have real governments looking for collective success and partnerships, I can see the potential for rail lines connecting Ethiopia to Somalia's seacoasts. A landlocked nation with no real infrastructural links to a neighboring nation with the largest coastline in Africa (other than substandard dirt roads) is really pathetic.

Maybe a spur line from the existing railroad from Djibouti to Addis at Dire Dawa can be made, it could connect Harer to Hargeisa and onward to Berbera, connecting to the sea there. Maybe even in the further future (!) there can even be an entirely new line from Addis to Mogadishu. Then there could be a connection from Mogadishu to Nairobi, and one from Nairobi to Addis, making a triangle railroad network connecting all three capitals. Hopefully we can see the day when we're alive, although I'm not too sure it will ever happen.

yeah would be amazing to see that happen. the port cities of somalia linked to the manufacturing hubs of ethiopia....hmm i still have around 60 years left of life to live (HOPEFULLY) so lets see if that will happen within that time span....for somereason i dont think it will unfortunately...

On another note

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE LIGHT RAIL PROJECT IN ADDIS? any recent news? as in from THIS YEAR?
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #13
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Quote:

very good post, I have also always wondered if a link between Mogadishu & Addis would be made. It sounds like a natural link, I mean they are already trying to link Addis to Mombassa port (which is even further away than Mogadishu) through highspeed road even as I type, so I see no reason why a better road link to Mogadishu might not be made in the near future. Rail link though maybe further into the future.

Rail links between S.Sudan, Kenya & Ethiopia have been explored recently as well.

Last edited by yosef; April 27th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #14
African Lion

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by japopian View Post
yeah would be amazing to see that happen. the port cities of somalia linked to the manufacturing hubs of ethiopia....hmm i still have around 60 years left of life to live (HOPEFULLY) so lets see if that will happen within that time span....for somereason i dont think it will unfortunately...

Not in our lifetimes. These political leaders are monkey(sorry to monkeys) and dont think like that. They are thinking about how they can scam people and build a nest egg in Switzerland. Then there is the Somai state(ogaden) issue.......... What can you do.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #15
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3011

Yes, unfortunately enough. But maybe things can change in decades, we don't know.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM   #16
japopian

Ethiopia plans new rail system

Ethiopia plans new rail system

By Elizabeth Blunt
BBC News, Ethiopia

The Ethiopian government has confirmed it plans to build an extensive railway system, despite some of the world's most challenging terrain.

At the moment the country has only one railway - the historic narrow gauge line from the capital Addis Ababa to the neighbouring country of Djibouti.

But it is in very poor condition and only half of the line is operational.

The plan involves the construction of 5,000km (3,000 miles) of track, mainly for carrying goods, officials say.

Renovation project

Ethiopia's old imperial railway was built by the French for the Emperor Menelik in the early 20th Century. But it is long past its best.

There is an average of one derailment a week.

But a major European Union-funded renovation project is now under way.

Engineers are consolidating embankments, strengthening the bridges, re-laying about one-third of the track, using better quality rails and replacing flimsy metal sleepers with more solid concrete ones.

When that is done, the Ethiopian government intends to embark on its even more ambitious plan - to create a whole new rail system.

This time it will be standard gauge, electrified to make use of Ethiopia's huge hydro power potential. It is primarily aimed at goods traffic.

The man in charge, Getachew Betru, said such a system would make a huge contribution to Ethiopia's development.

One of the reasons Ethiopia had stayed poor, he said, was because it was not connected.

And, he said, railways were inherently much more popular with the poor than - for instance - the donor-funded tarmac road network that is mostly used by tourists and aid workers.

The government is still looking for partners to build the new railway.

But it says it is convinced that trains will be the transport of the future in Ethiopia.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ca/8099698.stm

Published: 2009/06/15 08:48:19 GMT

© BBC MMIX
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Blue sun

Likes (Received): 66

Good for them
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #18
African Lion

Likes (Received): 273

I'll believe it when i see it but rail travel is the key for poor nations.
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #19
Blue sun

Likes (Received): 66

Hope it is build soon... I think traveling by train is a great way to move from places to place.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #20
enkelfam

Likes (Received): 126

Gov’t Signs $1.5b New Railway Study MoU

A memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed by four foreign companies and the Ethiopian Railway Corporation for the launching of a study on the planned construction of a new railway line up to the border of Djibouti, at a projected cost of 1.5 billion dollars.

The companies, China Communication Construction Company (CCCC), China Railway Group, Overseas Investment Alliance (OIA) from India, and a Russian company, are said to be undertaking their own individual studies on the project to make their decisions, according to Hailemariam Desalegn, government whip at Parliament and director of the board of the corporation, told Fortune.

The company that will get the project will be the one that comes with the financing, Hailemariam said.

The technical and financial efficiency of the winning company will be evaluated by its engineering procurement contract (EPC).

The government intends for the construction to begin before the end of this fiscal year early July, a high-level government official told Fortune. .... I would have to see to believe this, but it sounds like it might happen.

The two Chinese companies are sister companies, and CCCC has already concluded a deal with the Ethiopian Roads Authority for the construction of the Addis Abeba-Adama road. This company acquired the 349 million dollar financing for the construction from China Exim Bank.

OIA has a history of supplying machinery to the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation (EEPCo). It is also undertaking the construction of Tendaho Sugar Factory with a 350 million dollar loan provided by the Indian Government.

The Indian company did not seem as keen as the Chinese company to get the project, averred the government official who spoke to Fortune on the condition of anonymity, meaning that the project may eventually go to the Chinese due to the Indian company’s lack of enthusiasm.

The government chose to build a new railroad instead of upgrading the old one, because the old one allowed speeds of only 20km per hour, while the new one would enable up to 50km per hour, Hailemariam said.

“The fate of the old one is not yet known,” Hailemariam said.

There is currently no railway transport between Addis Abeba and Dire Dawa, and only very occasionally between Dire Dawa and Djibouti.

The Ethiopian Railway Corporation was established by the government in 2007 with a capital of three billion Birr. The corporation’s board members include Hailemariam and Arkebe Oqubay, state minister for Works and Capacity Building. The general manager, Getachew Betru, was not available for comment.

The Addis Abeba-Djibouti railway is part of the government’s plan to lay down 5,000km of tracks along seven different routes of economic importance. The next phase will ensue with another track linking Ethiopia to Kenya, according to the same official.

Maintenance of the old of track was initiated at a cost of 50 million dollars, but it was interrupted for quality reasons. ... What? you just wasted $50million, Jessss.

By WUDINEH ZENEBE
SPECIAL TO FORTUNE

http://www.addisfortune.com/Gov%E2%80%99t%20Signs%20$1.5b%20New%20Railway%20Study%20MoU.htm
enkelfam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethiopia, railway