daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
ihav3nofri3ndzz

Likes (Received): 1

Movie Theaters

I wasn't sure where I should post this thread.... but I guess this could mostly be for the United States people, but I wanted to start a thread showcasing all the different movie theaters in the world. There are thousands in the U.S., but they all seem to look just a little different.

Here is 1 where i live in Tennessee

close-up of the front day and night..

Here is another in Tennessee,
image hosted on flickr
ihav3nofri3ndzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

This is the "Cinemark" Palace 20 in Boca Raton, FL. Muvico recently sold off 4 of its best-performing theaters to Cinemark to make up for some debt.

DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Toronto Life Square - AMC 24

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goaskal...ow/2530400500/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natural...ic/3383195379/

ScotiaBank Theatre

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenharris/3278128965/
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #4
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

In the Largest Cinema Theatres thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
In Paris, place de Clichy, since 1907 the Gaumont Palace was the largest cinema theatre in the world with a capacity of 5,000 seats till 1930 and a capacity of 6,200 seats with a big screen (24m x 13m) from 1931 to 1972 year of its demolition.

Gaumont Palace (1907-1930)

Gaumont Palace (1931-1972)

PS:
Quote:
I guess this could mostly be for the United States people, but I wanted to start a thread showcasing all the different movie theaters in the world. There are thousands in the U.S., but they all seem to look just a little different.
Do you really think we don't have cinema and cinema theatres in the rest of the world ??????

You need to remember it is two French guys who invented Cinema in 1895, but the very first producer of a movie in the world was Louis le Prince (another Frenchman) in 1888 !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; April 16th, 2009 at 04:03 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #5
ihav3nofri3ndzz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
In the Largest Cinema Theatres thread:

Do you really think we don't have cinema and cinema theatres in the rest of the world ??????

You need to remember it is two French guys who invented Cinema in 1895, but the very first producer of a movie in the world was Louis le Prince (another Frenchman) in 1888 !
I was just meaning because here in America there seems to be a ridiculous amount of them.
ihav3nofri3ndzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #6
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1728

can't find many good images but this one is meant to like a UFO on the roof - the ufo itself used to be home to a bar called "the pod" but it has been closed a while now (the bar has closed)

Langley Colossus
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Scotiabnak Theatre - Downtown
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cinemark Tinseltown
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Coquitlam Silvercity
image hosted on flickr

Pitt Meadows Cineplex

Surrey Empire Theatre (used to be a famous players aka silvercity)

Vancouver Empire Theatre (crappy inside) - the scotiabnak thatre is a block or two away so no one goes to this one unless its their only choice - note the Plaza is a nightclub next door but it used to be a movie theatre way back in the day
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #7
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
can't find many good images but this one is meant to like a UFO on the roof - the ufo itself used to be home to a bar called "the pod" but it has been closed a while now (the bar has closed)

Langley Colossus

Pitt Meadows Cineplex

Our Colossus looks identical, it's just north of Toronto on the way to Canada's Wonderland.

Your Cineplex is also nearly identical to our Queensway Cinemas, which is actually the busiest theatre in Canada.
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Kame
Very nice, how much?

Likes (Received): 2468

Nice one from Dresden (Germany): Ufa Kristallpalast

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17102116

Kiel - Some photos every few days ***** Germany - Some photos every few days ***** Hamburg - Some photos every few days
Kame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #9
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 87

This is the newest theatre in Richmond VA. Its the first new movie theatre in the city in 35 years...

Quote:
Richmond cinephiles, your long wait is over! After more than a decade of driving outside of the city for your movie fix, Richmond has its first new movie theater in 35 years: Movieland. Even the name sounds like a dream come true.

The huge, high-ceilinged building that was once a 19th century locomotive assembly plant now houses a 17-screen cinema with all the modern amenities, including digital 3D-ready screens. The lobby’s exposed brick, concrete floor and steel beams echo the building’s industrial past, while the auditoriums themselves are even more luxurious then your average multiplex: the velvety-cushioned seats features padded armrests and wood backs. I bet the floors aren’t even sticky yet.
T he high-end aspect extends to the concessions, which feature hot food in addition to classic candy and popcorn, as well as a wine and beer selection. They’ll allegedly have Stella Artois, Sam Adams, and Miller Lite on tap.

The initial schedule for the theater shows a good variety as well, featuring everything from Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; from the kid-friendly The Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience to the independent Wendy & Lucy.

Movieland doesn’t just show your usual first-runs either. Next time you want to meet friends for Sunday morning brunch, hit up Movieland instead for its Movies & Mimosas. For a mere $5.50 you can enjoy a mimosa and a classic film starting March 1 with The Wizard of Oz. Scheduled upcoming films include Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and Citizen Kane. You can even request your favorite classics on its Web site. I’m voting for Wayne’s World. Who’s with me?

Perhaps the most alluring aspect of the theater is its commercial-free policy. If you’re like me, you’ve been increasingly frustrated by car and soda ads popping up amidst the movie previews in theaters, but luckily Movieland has heard our cries. It promises no commercials, ever. That makes it moviestar in my book.
The Original building:

After Renovation:

540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #10
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 87

Byrd Theater, Richmond Virginia.
A local favorite.

Lobby and concessions:

image hosted on flickr

540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote