daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

hkskyline's 2008 OBIDOS (Portugal) Photo Collection

With a long stay in Lisbon, I decided to venture further away from the city for a day trip. I narrowed down to a few choices - Fatima, Coimbra, Obidos, and Porto. I didn't want to sit on a bus or train for a long time, so in the end went to Obidos, which is a little over an hour away.

The trip to the bus station was quite hectic. Knowing it'd be a pain finding the stop, I set out early. There were conflicting stories of where the bus station was located. Some literature said Entre Campos, while others said Campo Grande. Luckily they were on the same subway line and only 1 stop apart.

English is not so commonly spoken at the bus station. After some hectic searching, asking locals, and a fellow company bus driver twice, I finally located the bus stop beside the main station. We were soon on the way!

3. Obidos' city walls could be seen from afar.

4. I had a very rushed schedule, as I wanted to make this a half day trip and buses don't come so frequently. But this place was very beautiful, especially with the crisp blue skies.

11. I think I arrived very early. The streets were deserted and there was an air of tranquility. With a cool morning breeze, it was a wonderful walk along the streets, with nobody else to bother me examine each building or to fight for a spot to take pictures.

16. It was a bit cool to sit out for a cup of tea though.

19. It doesn't take a lot of money or effort to make something beautiful. Often, this can be done with some vegetation.

20. It does feel a bit medieval living within sight of the city walls. Time seems to have stood still.

23. The walled city is a functioning microcosm, and one of the main focal points would be the church.

29. Let's explore a bit more of the surroundings!

34. Looking at some of these plaques, I was amazed how well-kept these buildings are considering the age.

Lisbon Photos : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=840680

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #2
PedroGabriel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

very good, you didnt stood only in Lisbon. Obidos is a true Gem, and a well preserved city, not fake facades and decay. Its one of the best preserved medieval cities in Portugal, all original, and an eye-candy.

I think you should had widden the places that you should visit, you must have left with an idea of the country, cause you went to the cities with most problems... in Lisbon region you should went to Cascais and the hilltown of Sintra.

what was your favourite city?
PedroGabriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
weird
vagamundo

^

I totally agree. Cascais is truly awesome, well preserved, with a nice atmosphere and landscapes. Estoril, which is more famous, is a part of Cascais too.
Even, it's closer to Lisbon.

Sintra is beautiful too, but so spread away so if you are moving by public transport is a bit umcomfy.

Now in the topic, Obidos looks beautiful. I really like the wall and the typical portuguese tiles. The church is quite small but well preserved, looking magnificient into it.

Good thread as usual, keep on posting, please.
Cheers.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I visited Sintra and Belem as well, and I like Obidos the best actually. It's the most serene, and seems more original than the more popular tourist traps. However, from an architectural point of view alone, I think Sintra is the best.

53. Continuing with my walk, it looks like a miniature Great Wall has popped up in the heart of a small town.

56. No overrun by tourists ... just the way I like it!

67. A clean alley - something you wouldn't see in the big city!

74. I climbed up the hills a bit to see if there are some nice views. Being early in the morning, I had to make sure the sun was behind me.

83. Whose home is it? I wish it was mine.

99. A fortress emerged. Although I couldn't actually go inside, I guess the use is self-explanatory.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

105. Ah .. the shops are now starting to open.

110. This is a nice view, with the fortress in the baxkground and the church in the middle. Notice the group of visitors. The rush begins.

116. This must be the main shopping street.

120. I've gone through the whole morning without food. Time to sit down in a cafe to enjoy breakfast.

131. I think I forgot to buy postcards amidst my whirlwind tour.

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244820

Nice phototour @hkskyline around Portugal
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

145. Let's walk around some more alleys!

162. There was an opening and it was possible to actually climb onto the walls. I seized the opportunity and was up there in seconds!

I'm surprised nobody followed me up here.

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #10
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

lovely town
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Website with more details of touring this town :
http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_touri...dos/index.html

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #12
buho

Likes (Received): 19817

Obidos is really beautiful! Amazing pics.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote