daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which city has a better skyline?
New York City 165 61.80%
Chicago 102 38.20%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #201
dnobsemajdnob
Expert
 
dnobsemajdnob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
dnobsemajdnob, you are basically arguing that NYC is older and has more buildings, therefore is 'better' than Chicago. If that's your argument, fine...but let's not start "who cares about Chicago school of architecture", etc.

If the thread was NYC vs Chicago: historic buildings...maybe you'd have an argument
I'm not arguing that at all. This all started by one person's comment about the thousands of 1920's era 20 story buildings in NY, a comment to which I directly responded. Someone then asked me to name a single pre-1850's building that's visible in the skyline, which I did, etc.

My initial comment on this thread is that NY is better architecturally. Full stop.
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #202
helghast
Registered User
 
helghast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,374
Likes (Received): 147

better architecturally ? thats a joke. ny just has density, Chicago is the one with architecture. its that simple
__________________
"If you put the empire state building on top of the Sears Tower then it's reasonable to say you'll be in the neighbourhood," Mr Baker says.
helghast no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #203
tpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago & NYC
Posts: 3,562
Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
How funny, because that poster has roots in both cities her opinion regarding skylines is seen as more valid? Quite a stupid argument, don't you think? Who told you I (or the other 200) voters have no roots in Chicago and/or New York City? Oh that's right, you just assumed it because Chicago is being walloped.
She certainly knows more about both cities than you, for instance. And why not? She can argue both cities rationally, and not from a vantage point of ignorance, like some people here.

Quote:
I suppose I have more architectural authority than the both of you since I was born in Rome.
But do you even know architecture? It is clear that you don't, and I bet that I know more about Roman architecture of ANY period than you do.


Quote:
Another quite ignorant statement. What did he say anyway? While you're at it, compile the opinions of the other top 100 architects instead of picking and choosing. I don't want to start a city vs. city, but whenever I'm discussing cities/architecture/whatever and it doesn't go Chicago's way, I'm always presented with some random quote or opinion from some sort of "expert" to show me that I (and the public) are both wrong. It never fails as evidenced by this thread.
So you apparently are one of these irresponsible posters who don't read anything that has been previously posted. Look at the posts and quotes I cited in the earlier pages.


Quote:
There are no "facts" regarding which city has better skylines or a better buildings....because it's all opinion.

I think New York is superior to Chicago in both aspects but my opinion doesn't make it a fact. People prefer New York's skyline over Chicago but that doesn't make it a fact that New York's is better either.
There is such a thing as an informed, educated opinion, and an opinion based on ignorance and complete lack of knowledge. And clearly, the opinion of one great architect has more weight than a thousand ignorant and conveniently anonymous ones like yours.

Last edited by tpe; April 29th, 2009 at 06:44 AM.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #204
tpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago & NYC
Posts: 3,562
Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
I'm English, so yes, I know Sir (Thank you) Christopher Wren.

The building you note, unlike the Capital building on the other side of Gloucester Street (and for the most part, all of Williamsburg) is not a 100% reproduction. It's a 99% reproduction. As per Williamsburg's website:


"The Wren Building bears the name of the distinguished English architect, Sir Christopher Wren, who may possibly have influenced its original design. Construction began in 1695. The building sustained serious damage in fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862, but the massive exterior walls of the Wren Building are largely original. The Wren Building now has the outward appearance that it showed from early in the 18th century. It is located on the College of William and Mary campus."

But do you really KNOW him? Hmmm?

And so you agree with me that the current state of the exterior is faithful to the original 18th century design, correct?

Please know the difference between a reproduction and a restoration. And even if it were a total make-over, the fact that they follow the original design guarantees that the architecture is the same, correct? Shouldn't this be obvious?
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #205
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator
 
Oriolus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 6,054
Likes (Received): 1517

I'm always impressed by the density and extent of New York's skyline, more so then Chicago, but my vote goes to Chicago. From many angles New York seems chaotic and messy, with too many grubby little buildings to detract from its more archirectural distinguished skyscrapers. Whereas Chicago always seems so sleek and clean, with a much better overall asthetic appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Went up to Chicago the other week to see Flogging Molly (awesome) and got this picture from the ride in. It's my favourite!

Is that the road Ferris Bueller took into the city? Worth watching the movie just for the skyline shots of Chicago
__________________
Townsville Biggest city in the northern half of the great southern land.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #206
backupcoolm4n
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 129
Likes (Received): 14

Amen NYC does have nice 17 story buildings built in the 20's, that guy is just jealous, sure Chicago invented the skyscraper but NYC perfected it, and tested its limits, NYC is full of beautiful "17 story" buildings with exquisite detail, and many buildings built during and before the 1920s were tall and extravagant as well such as the Woolworth Building, Trump Tower (name changed), and Metropolitan Life Insurance Buildings are all good examples
backupcoolm4n no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #207
jayhawker
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 7

New York does not have an awe-inspiring view that epitomizes the skyline as Chicago does. Only the view from across the bay of Hong Kong can beat the view of Chicago from the planetarium. It really is beautiful. The collapse of the Twin Towers did great harm to the world's original skyline, and it is no longer the world's most attractive or impressive. New york has yet to recover, and it seems as if it may be decades until it does--which is a shame because so many here seem to equate peaks-and-valleys from a distance with actual greatness.

One gigantic falsehood perpetuated on this thread is the idea that New York has density but not quality. This is outright lie, and deserves to be treated as such. New york has both in spades. No city in the world compares to New York in quality and diversity of architecture. The greatest compliment I can give Chicago is that it comes closer than any other city--though it it is still not close. When it comes to Colonial, Georgian, Renaissance, Gothic, Beaux Arts, Art Deco, Post Modern and Contemoprary architecture, New York just destroys Chicago. Just destroys it. Then there is the international style--which Chicago claims as their own school. Well lets talk about the greatest international style buildings in the US., Seagram, Lever, UN, US Steel, Chase, Daley Center, WTC, Hancock. Yes Chicago shines, but New York is just as impressive. If not moreso. What am I saying--definitely moreso.

The advantage of chicago is that there is more space, which is certainly nice for looking at individual buildings--but a great detriment to the urbanity of what is supposedly one of our of our most urban environments. Hmmmmmph. Asphalt parking lots and buildings perched on parking towers have no business in an "alpha city", but if one wants to look at a specific skyscraper--i guess it helps. Another advantage of Chicago is that is a great underdog city. no doubt my post will be followed by a slew of pro-2nd city replies.

Last edited by jayhawker; April 29th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
jayhawker no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #208
charmedone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 86

this thred is kinda dumb i mean the only other city that can beet new yorks skyline is hong kong but thats only because it grew so fast as a city i mean chicao is a nice city but it doesnt have that same affect that new york does when you look at
new york has also built some of the worlds tallest buildings chicago only did that one or twice and you can find many diffrent styles of buildings from old to new short to tall in many diffrent styles chicago has that but not as much

chicago lacts alot of older styled buildings from the 1920's and 1930's theres some but there not as tall and inspirering as the ones you see in new york city but thats also because most of chicagos tall buildings were built between the late 60's to now











charmedone no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #209
Ni3lS
Moderator
 
Ni3lS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 16,465
Likes (Received): 3423

Dude, work on your grammar. Your post is unreadable. Ever heard of : . or , ?
__________________
MY SHOWCASE
FLICKR / MY TRAVELS:
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #210
tpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago & NYC
Posts: 3,562
Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
New York does not have an awe-inspiring view that epitomizes the skyline as Chicago does. Only the view from across the bay of Hong Kong can beat the view of Chicago from the planetarium. It really is beautiful. The collapse of the Twin Towers did great harm to the world's original skyline, and it is no longer the world's most attractive or impressive. New york has yet to recover, and it seems as if it may be decades until it does--which is a shame because so many here seem to equate peaks-and-valleys from a distance with actual greatness.

One gigantic falsehood perpetuated on this thread is the idea that New York has density but not quality. This is outright lie, and deserves to be treated as such. New york has both in spades. No city in the world compares to New York in quality and diversity of architecture. The greatest compliment I can give Chicago is that it comes closer than any other city--though it it is still not close. When it comes to Colonial, Georgian, Renaissance, Gothic, Beaux Arts, Art Deco, Post Modern and Contemoprary architecture, New York just destroys Chicago. Just destroys it. Then there is the international style--which Chicago claims as their own school. Well lets talk about the greatest international style buildings in the US., Seagram, Lever, UN, US Steel, Chase, Daley Center, WTC, Hancock. Yes Chicago shines, but New York is just as impressive. If not moreso. What am I saying--definitely moreso.

The advantage of chicago is that there is more space, which is certainly nice for looking at individual buildings--but a great detriment to the urbanity of what is supposedly one of our of our most urban environments. Hmmmmmph. Asphalt parking lots and buildings perched on parking towers have no business in an "alpha city", but if one wants to look at a specific skyscraper--i guess it helps. Another advantage of Chicago is that is a great underdog city. no doubt my post will be followed by a slew of pro-2nd city replies.

Well, I never look down on a nuanced opinion. This is fine by me.

For the others who are not so nuanced and in need of additional reading, I would call them to the American Institute of Architects' verdict, cited in numerous professional and popular publications. Here is a sample:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200601/book-reviews

And I quote:

Affirming the evident, the American Institute of Architects recently judged Chicago the city with the finest architecture in the country. To take the obvious a bit further, Chicago holds more important buildings of the past century and a half [tpe: yes, they mean post 1850s or thereabouts] than any other place in the world. And to look at it another way, Chicago's architecture constitutes one of this country's greatest contributions to modern civilization...

But is it EVIDENT in this thread? Hmmm?

Now who would you believe? The AIA, or the 200+ anonymous so-called "opinions" on this thread? Hmmm?

Unbelievable. So unbelievable, it is pretty much a joke.

http://www.aia.org/index.htm

Last edited by tpe; April 29th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #211
Avian001
Mostly Sane
 
Avian001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth. For Now.
Posts: 1,870
Likes (Received): 1022

^ I completely agree with the AIA. But I am a member after all

However the idea of "best skyline" is pretty vague. And better architecture doesn't necessarily equate with skylines.
__________________
On the internet, you're never too old to learn something stupid.
Avian001 no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #212
Northsider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
this thred is kinda dumb i mean the only other city that can beet new yorks skyline is hong kong
I think this thread is dumb because of end all be all posts like that. The fact that you totally shun Chicago, or any other US or world city for that matter, is what makes this thread dumb. There are so many posters here who have posted their appreciation for two skyline greats...yet there are so many who just post their ignorance.
Northsider no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #213
tpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago & NYC
Posts: 3,562
Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
^ I completely agree with the AIA. But I am a member after all

However the idea of "best skyline" is pretty vague. And better architecture doesn't necessarily equate with skylines.

This is true. Skylines are a matter of opinion/taste. But there is so much crap and misinformation posted on this thread (of which I am sure you have read) that I wanted to set the record straight as far as architecture is concerned.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #214
Duzk
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 3

I think that most people just say NYC because that's what they see on T.V. and the media...

Also there's more NYC'ers which means NYC has a lot more home-based supporters in these polls.
Duzk no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #215
Quall
Registered User
 
Quall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,992
Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
Then you are in the same school as Le Corbusier, who believed strongly that the Architecture of Chicago and New York are wanting.
Not sure about that. I don't think it's "wanting" or bland in any regard. I just think it's ugly.
Quall no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #216
tpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago & NYC
Posts: 3,562
Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quall View Post
Not sure about that. I don't think it's "wanting" or bland in any regard. I just think it's ugly.

Frankly, I think he really felt the same way too!
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #217
pokistic
Registered User
 
pokistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 610
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolm4n View Post
Amen NYC does have nice 17 story buildings built in the 20's, that guy is just jealous, sure Chicago invented the skyscraper but NYC perfected it, and tested its limits, NYC is full of beautiful "17 story" buildings with exquisite detail, and many buildings built during and before the 1920s were tall and extravagant as well such as the Woolworth Building, Trump Tower (name changed), and Metropolitan Life Insurance Buildings are all good examples
I agree. NYC is the best skyline in the world. The mix of so many old buildings to new ones is just amazing.
pokistic no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #218
Rizzato
Blue Collar
 
Rizzato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 899
Likes (Received): 49

let me holla at you for a second
NYC is the dark canyons, the grit, the grime, the old school skyline. you've got to hand it to them for putting up the Chrysler and ESB in those conditions, and inspiring us with their other contributions since then. I choose NYC
Chicago is more of the new school, fresh-faced, well-balanced skyline, with a swagger, and rightly so. it already looks luscious enough, so when Legacy is finished and Aqua is all cladded, it will be even better
Rizzato no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #219
Northsider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 121

I don't know why people associate Chicago with "new" skyline...just because it's tallest towers were built 1969, 1972, and 2008? Practically all of the Michigan Ave wall is historic old buildings, and the wall is a predominant feature in the skyline from the east.
Northsider no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #220
nygirl
Moderator
 
nygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,839
Likes (Received): 430

Some of you are getting too passionate and while that is not a bad thing try not to be offensive and accept the opinions of others whether or not you agree.
This thread was reluctantly kept up by the staff because some thought you could be mature enough to keep it civil and at best enjoyable. There are however a handful of you (from both sides) getting too defensive and it doesn't help the argument of Chicago and New York being able to keep up a civil vs. thread.
I'll also mention that vs. threads are no longer allowed on this site so we are also dancing around a taboo by allowing it to remain up.


Too much distraction going on with biased arguments and defensive retaliations. I'm starting to think this should be locked and closed and I'll be the first to suggest it to the moderators of this sub forum if it continues. Try and keep it to minimal conversation and unlimited pictures..I have been very busy lately and have not had the time to go searching maybe others can contribute large photo posts?


I thought the idea of switch hitting with Skyline and individual pieces of architecture was a good thing so if it bothers some of you that architecture took on a role in this thread you can blame me...tough.

Northsider, TPE, Krull... I'm counting on you seasoned forumers that don't need to be told anything to keep this thread chugging along. What do ya say? Go team CHI-NY!
__________________
Completely attached to New York but completely in love with Chicago.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu