daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has a better skyline?
New York City 165 61.80%
Chicago 102 38.20%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #41
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
New York's skyline far surpasses Chicago in terms of looks and density. Not to mention, New York is home many iconic structures (Empire State, Flatiron, Chrysler, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, former WTC) and Chicago is home to none that an average person would know.

-599GTB, and the voters here at skyscraper city.
True knowledge is power.

-- tpe
tpe no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #42
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
True knowledge is power.

-- tpe
It's not my fault Chicago lacks iconic buildings and structures.
599GTB no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #43
tpe

Quote:
It's not my fault Chicago lacks iconic buildings and structures.
Ask the world's leading architects.

What you talk about is marketing, and not architecture.

Educate yourselves.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #44
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

And so the city vs. city begins. Some kids just can't play nice...
3521usa no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #45
WrightTurn

Likes (Received): 21

Am I weird for liking them both?
WrightTurn no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #46
599GTB

Quote:
Ask the world's leading architects.
OK, give me the contact information for all the "world's leading architects" and I'll ask them how they feel since I can't seem to verify that "world's leading architects" think Chicago can match the iconic structures found in the top world cities.

Quote:
What you talk about is marketing, and not architecture.

Educate yourselves.
Well, if there were any spectacular sites in Chicago (like those in NY, SF, etc) then most people would know/care about them and they would have been marketed to the masses.

If it's spectacular, people know them. Period.

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this any further because I don't want this thread to be locked.

Mr_LoL liked this post
599GTB no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #47
BALENCIAGA

Likes (Received): 0

Here are more NYC photos:

Last edited by BALENCIAGA; April 14th, 2009 at 02:20 AM.
BALENCIAGA no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #48
tpe

Quote:
OK, give me the contact information for all the "world's leading architects" and I'll ask them how they feel since I can't seem to verify that "world's leading architects" think Chicago can match the iconic structures found in the top world cities.

Well, if there were any spectacular sites in Chicago (like those in NY, SF, etc) then most people would know/care about them and they would have been marketed to the masses.

If it's spectacular, people know them. Period.

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this any further because I don't want this thread to be locked.

I will not give you the pleasure of seeing this thread closed because you choose to play the ignorant brat. You seem to know more than the Editor in Chief of The Encycolpedia of NYC, who also happens to be a distinguished professor at Columbia. If you have not read interviews and articles published by the world's leading architects, then why even have the pretense of claiming that you love architecture and skyscrapers?

Over an egg-white omelet at the Ritz cafe (whose ornate decor he dismissed as ''ongepotchket,'' or excessively embellished), Mr. Gehry said he was tantalized by the chance to work in Chicago, ''the architecture city of America.''

As a child growing up in the gold-mining town of Timmins, Ontario, he was entranced by a few trips here with his father, who sold pinball machines and jukeboxes. Sitting at the Ritz just off Mies van der Rohe Way, he rattled off any number of Chicago structures he likes: the sleek, form-is-function Hancock Building, the extravagantly Gothic Tribune Tower, the whimsical corn cob cylinders of Marina City.

''To be contributing to the architecture of Chicago -- it's a daunting task,'' he said, leaning forward with a shy grin. ''Pray for me.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/17/ar...=&pagewanted=2

What I have written, I have written. Mercifully, great architecture -- be it in NYC or Chicago or any other city -- remains great architecture, IN SPITE of ignoramuses like you.

Last edited by tpe; April 14th, 2009 at 02:38 AM.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #49
599GTB

Quote:
I will not give you the pleasure of seeing this thread closed because you choose to play the ignorant brat. You seem to know more than the Editor in Chief of The Encycolpedia of NYC, who also happens to be a distinguished professor at Columbia. If you have not read interviews and articles published by the world's leading architects, then why even have the pretense of claiming that you love architecture and skyscrapers?

What I have written, I have written. Mercifully, great architecture -- be it in NYC or Chicago or any other city -- remains great architecture, IN SPITE of ignoramuses like you.
Who really cares what he thinks? Einstein was a genius but he was incorrect when it came to many things.

So because he is Chief of The Encyclopedia he must be Lord of Architecture, right? Wrong. He is just a mere mortal with an opinion like the rest of us.
599GTB no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #50
tpe

Quote:
Who really cares what he thinks? Einstein was a genius but he was incorrect when it came to many things.

So because he is Chief of The Encyclopedia he must be Lord of Architecture, right? Wrong. He is just a mere mortal with an opinion like the rest of us.
See the comments I added in my last post from Gehry, which I added for the good of your soul.

Do you want me to spoon-feed you the opinion of the Director of the Skyscraper Museum in NYC? Hmmmm?

Admit your ignorance and let us move on.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #51
599GTB

Quote:
See the comments I added in my last post from Gehry, which I added for the good of your soul.

Do you want me to spoon-feed you the opinion of the Director of the Skyscraper Museum in NYC? Hmmmm?

Admit your ignorance and let us move on.
What? Why would I waste my time doing that? Do you want me to spoon-feed you the results of this poll?
599GTB no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #52
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

No need to be hurtful and nasty to have your opinion seen in here, remember that guys. I always used to cringe when I saw Chicago vs. NYC threads in the old city vs. city forum. Regarding the skylines, style and architecture; I think both convey a certain prestige and iconic value to their skylines unmatched by any other city and play off each other in a positive way. There are many similarities between the two as well as unique characteristics that distinguish them from one another.

The city of Chicago and the city of New York are skyscraper museums and IMO an international treasure in that sense. The evolution of the skyscraper and skyline can be best displayed in these two towns and that is something that really can't be contested well and never really is IMO. Whether one is better than the other is a matter of opinion but from an objective point of view can you argue against me?
I think it would be cool if we used this thread to showcase both skylines without a race and instead let it be a vs. thread in title only. Its just too hard for even me to decide. How about a Ny-Chicago love fest what do you say?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

Last edited by nygirl; April 14th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #53
The MichelinMan
The Michelinman

Chicago...just.
Jesus said to those who believed in him "if you obey my teaching, you are really my disciples; you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." JOHN:8:31-32
The MichelinMan no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #54
De Snor
Forever Travelling

Likes (Received): 37

I don't choose , both are unique
De Snor no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #55
kayuneuquen

I love chicago!!!
kayuneuquen no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #56
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
No need to be hurtful and nasty to have your opinion seen in here, remember that guys. I always used to cringe when I saw Chicago vs. NYC threads in the old city vs. city forum. Regarding the skylines, style and architecture; I think both convey a certain prestige and iconic value to their skylines unmatched by any other city and play off each other in a positive way. There are many similarities between the two as well as unique characteristics that distinguish them from one another.

The city of Chicago and the city of New York are skyscraper museums and IMO an international treasure in that sense. The evolution of the skyscraper and skyline can be best displayed in these two towns and that is something that really can't be contested well and never really is IMO. Whether one is better than the other is a matter of opinion but from an objective point of view can you argue against me?
I think it would be cool if we used this thread to showcase both skylines without a race and instead let it be a vs. thread in title only. Its just too hard for even me to decide. How about a Ny-Chicago love fest what do you say?
Thanks nygirl. I apologize for being a bit testy/cranky at times. I would gladly defer to you on this one.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #57
DesignerVoodoo

Likes (Received): 91

Chicago's buildings have some breathing room around them so you can enjoy the architecture of each separately.
New York is so concentrated that we miss many architecturally important buildings.
Both cities are beautiful but only one is world class.
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #58
tjiklan

each city's skyline has their own "beauty"
tjiklan no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #59
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Both skyline are really top notch. Chicago has those really nice peaks, that I like, in various points of it's skyline thanks to the much taller buildings. ex:

flickr CosmoPhotography

Our skyline on the other hand, is just an unpredictable mess! What I love about it is that it continues beyond manhattan, over the rivers, and into brooklyn and jersey which creates really cool skyline layers. Theres times where all these skyines mesh into one.. like so:

flickr mel_jp_05
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #60
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

They both have extraordinary skylines. Those are my two favorite skylines in the whole world! But if i really had to choose between the two, New York wins.

Closed Thread