daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has a better skyline?
New York City 165 61.80%
Chicago 102 38.20%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #61
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Chicago's buildings have some breathing room around them so you can enjoy the architecture of each separately.
New York is so concentrated that we miss many architecturally important buildings.
Both cities are beautiful but only one is world class.
In your little opinion.
3521usa no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #62
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

theres a fact that everyone needs to know, and thats Chicago is the Birth place of the skyscraper. not Ny. if it wasnt for Chicago there wouldnt be this argument
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
New York for density, Chicago for architecture.
your right on the money
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #63
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Anyone who suggests, Chicago is better for architecture is crazy. NY has been inundated with buildings by Nouvel, Gehry, Foster, etc. in recent years. Moreover, apart from modern buildings, NY has pre-WWII towers that no city could even begin to compare with.

Nevertheless, Chicago is nice in terms of skyscrapers, as is Shanghai, Dubai, Beijing, London, Paris, etc. It's a matter of preference I guess.

Last edited by dnobsemajdnob; April 14th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #64
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

I don't like either to be honest, but I'll lend my vote to NYC for density.
Quall no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #65
Aloy Concept

Likes (Received): 1443

NYC its the best skyline of the world
Aloy Concept no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #66
Logsy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
Anyone who suggests, Chicago is better for architecture is crazy. NY has been inundated with buildings by Nouvel, Gehry, Foster, etc. in recent years. Moreover, apart from modern buildings, NY has pre-WWII towers that no city could even begin to compare with.

Nevertheless, Chicago is nice in terms of skyscrapers, as is Shanghai, Dubai, Beijing, London, Paris, etc. It's a matter of preference I guess.
You are contradicting yourself.... if it is a matter of preference, why would someone be crazy to prefer Chicago skyline over NYC's based on belief that Chicago's skyline is more architecturally distinguished. There is no scientific way to measure quality of architecture, it is all subjective. However, vast majority of individuals recognized as experts in the field of architecture believe that Chicago is in the same league as NYC when it comes to quality of architecture. Some believe that Chicago has better architecture than NYC.

I really do not understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. I agree that NYC has more architecturally significant buildings than Chicago. However, just walk around Midtown Manhattan and looking up at the 90% of towers, most look bland and ordinary, just like they could be in Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. I am of the opinion that "regular" buildings in Chicago look more aesthetically pleasing than in NYC. However, it is the quantity and concentration of these otherwise ordinary buildings in NYC that create an urban environment unparalleled anywhere else in the US. That is the reason why I personally prefer NYC's skyline.
Logsy no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #67
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quall View Post
I don't like either to be honest, but I'll lend my vote to NYC for density.

Then you are in the same school as Le Corbusier, who believed strongly that the Architecture of Chicago and New York are wanting.

Nothing wrong with that. He had very strong arguments against what he called the "disturbing and yet so admirable" architecture of American Cities, particularly that of Chicago, which he considered an archetype. His experiences and reflections taken within the context of the architectural culture of Chicago in the 1930s have been intensively studied.

There is a BIG difference between Le Corbusier's contrarian viewpoint and the generally uninformed/uneducated opinion-mongering you see in a number of these posts.

Last edited by tpe; April 15th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #68
insomniac00

Likes (Received): 217

chicago skyline is definately taller with the sears, trumph, aon towers and the john hankock center
insomniac00 no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #69
cubsfan

More of Chicago:

cubsfan no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #70
#obert

Likes (Received): 833

OMG! The second picture is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloy Concept View Post
NYC its the best skyline of the world
I Don't think so The Hong Kong's Skyline is more dense, hight and beautiful
#obert no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #71
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
More of Chicago:

^ That is the one!!!! I've been looking for this particular angle at either dawn or dusk. Great find or is it yours?

IMSO

NYC and THE Chi make a good couple.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #72
cubsfan

NYgirl, that's not my photo, I found it on Flickr, I can't remember the name of the user that took it.
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #73
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

NYgirl answer the darn question already, which do you think is better?
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #74
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logsy View Post
You are contradicting yourself.... if it is a matter of preference, why would someone be crazy to prefer Chicago skyline over NYC's based on belief that Chicago's skyline is more architecturally distinguished. There is no scientific way to measure quality of architecture, it is all subjective. However, vast majority of individuals recognized as experts in the field of architecture believe that Chicago is in the same league as NYC when it comes to quality of architecture. Some believe that Chicago has better architecture than NYC.

I really do not understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. I agree that NYC has more architecturally significant buildings than Chicago. However, just walk around Midtown Manhattan and looking up at the 90% of towers, most look bland and ordinary, just like they could be in Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. I am of the opinion that "regular" buildings in Chicago look more aesthetically pleasing than in NYC. However, it is the quantity and concentration of these otherwise ordinary buildings in NYC that create an urban environment unparalleled anywhere else in the US. That is the reason why I personally prefer NYC's skyline.

Most buildings in Chicago are boxes that could be anywhere.
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #75
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
That rule is stupid. Why can't there be city vs city discussions? Are we little babies who need to be protected from getting our little feelings hurt? Most of us are adults and should be able to have skyline versus skyline threads on a skyscraper forum.

So weird.
I love how you said this comment and yet you are the one who has an argument.

Anyways, seeing how this thread isn't going to be lock, I chose Chicago because although NYC does have a better skyline in terms of numbers and variety, I chose Chicago because the towers aren't so meshed together. You can easily see individual towers in Chicago whereas NYC is a sea of towers. Maybe it's just a little too overwhelming for me.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #76
nygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icracked View Post
NYgirl answer the darn question already, which do you think is better?
I've been saying for years I prefer the skyline of Chicago. Chicago IS skyline perfection.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #77
nygirl

Some photos I've been collecting for months for another thread on the site

The Big Apple & The city of big shoulders

First a little song to go along with these flicks that expresses just how I feel about each as compared to....the rest of the globe

- Pedromanuelmanuel

image hosted on flickr

-Docearls

image hosted on flickr

-John Niedermeyer

- Melissa Walter

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/***************/Chicago%20Photos/Chicago.jpg?t=1227436989[/IMG]
-Chicagostyle

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Scottnj

-Diego Cupolo

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #78
LeCorbusier12

Chicago is known for giving birth to architectural movements and the home of 'architectural greats' Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan so architects go gaga over Chicago. otoh, I view this as more of preference for city planning and the overall picture instead of individual architecture. Ny wins, imo.

Last edited by LeCorbusier12; April 15th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
LeCorbusier12 no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #79
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

NY has a better one

Last edited by ElCrioyo; April 15th, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
ElCrioyo no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #80
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

Nyc Has two skylines in manhattan...depending which one you choose, it may be better or not than chicago...

I like the Midtown one all the way up to 96 st....which i consider better than chicagos one!
The financial district one is nice but kinda messy..
ElCrioyo no está en línea  

Closed Thread