daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has a better skyline?
New York City 165 61.80%
Chicago 102 38.20%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #81
DinamiT
PDN Lover *.*

Likes (Received): 2

NYC for sure -_-

Isto sim é uma assinatura...!
DinamiT no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #82
michal a.

Likes (Received): 154

The both are superb..
michal a. no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #83
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

Chicagooooooooo!
lukaszek89 no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #84
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

keep posting more pics
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #85
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

For me the answer to this question is answered by which skyline is more pleasing to my eye. Which skyline clearly shows highs and lows? Which skyline offers different styles? Now, in terms of density New York wins, hands down, no question. In terms of style and architecture my vote goes to Chicago by a long shot. And , a mon avis, style and architecture are more important characteristics than density. I think New York’s density hurts it chances at winning the best architectural skyline title because a lot of its beautiful building are hidden by tall ugly boxy buildings.
bma83 no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #86
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I'd like to add to my earlier statement.

I think Chicago's superb highrises compose the World's finest skyline but I think indivual buildings and fine high rise and midrise architecture unquestionably goes to New York City and I will probably exhaust the rest of my time on this thread dedicated to showcasing that--believe me I have enough fuel to keep this thread floating at the top of this section for even a couple of months.

That is not to take away from the architectural merits of Chicago and I do believe it is the only city in the world that comes close to matching New York's stock pile. With all of that said I think very few citys come even remotely close to Chicago in that sense and that says a lot.
That is not intended as a knock to other citys skylines and the achievements they have made in their time racing to the sky--its just that NY and Chicago have a 100 year edge on pretty much everyone else and pleasantly contrasting styles that have grown and aged well next to one another for far longer.
I think it makes a pretty big statement to have stone and masonry next to brick work, next to glass-ordinary with ornate- simplistic designs with state of the art. It took time to get to where we are and you know what? We never stopped and we're still going... oh yes I do think that is a big statement. NY and Chicago can boast Art Deco, International, Beaux Arts, Neo-Classic, Post Modern, and the sleek glass structures of today in far greater amounts. At this time I feel they have both outgrown the days of competing with one another and proving themselves to everyone else. All they really have to do is just keep adding to the collection.
Contrasting styles, I feel, are either taken for granted or so easily dismissed on these boards and while thats fine I can't help to see the substance in one dimensional glass structures and skylines that are comprised of nothing but--tricolored glass highrises.
I like to think of it as a salad bowl but there is nothing inside of it aside for the lettuce. That would be a pretty boring salad.... Keep in mind when I mention "fine architecture" I am referring to highrises and midrises and do believe Paris and London's cityscape eat New York and Chicago for breakfast for the same reason I feel New York and Chicago's skyline eat the world for lunch and dinner.

Hope I made you hungry with that post. I'll be back with some photo contributions later.

Skyline- Chicago
Architecture- New York

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #87
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Chicago for me, not just because I live here. NYC's is indeed impressive, but it just looking like a solid mass of skyscrapers. Chicago's is much more dynamic and photo-happy in my opinion.
Quote:
I think indivual buildings and fine high rise and midrise architecture unquestionably goes to New York City
I agree...but like mentioned, those buildings just get lost in the overwhelming mass of NYCs skyline. With Chicago you can see the forest and the trees.
Northsider no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #88
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

NYC...but Chicago is the 2nd best
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #89
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Chicago for me, not just because I live here. NYC's is indeed impressive, but it just looking like a solid mass of skyscrapers. Chicago's is much more dynamic and photo-happy in my opinion.

I agree...but like mentioned, those buildings just get lost in the overwhelming mass of NYCs skyline. With Chicago you can see the forest and the trees.
What do you call Central Park, or Battery Park, West Side Park(the park i use to play in when i was a younger) or any park on the outskirts of Manhattan. Dont forget we got the Bridges.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #90
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I need more visuals to help me make an informed decision.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #91
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

i like both, chicago and new york is both beautiful
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #92
CityPolice

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #93
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
City vs City is not allowed.
and besides, its comparing the skylines not the actual cities. Take a chill pill
stewartrama no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #94
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
What do you call Central Park, or Battery Park, West Side Park(the park i use to play in when i was a younger) or any park on the outskirts of Manhattan. Dont forget we got the Bridges.
It seems like you didn't quite understand what he meant. Just to keep things simple, he's saying that one can easily appreciate buildings individually in chicago than in ny. He's right, the buildings here just get lost in the chaos that is our skyline.
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #95
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Yes, I was not commenting literally on the trees or parks in either city. I was using a metaphor
Northsider no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #96
CityPolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
It seems like you didn't quite understand what he meant. Just to keep things simple, he's saying that one can easily appreciate buildings individually in chicago than in ny. He's right, the buildings here just get lost in the chaos that is our skyline.
oops i see what hes talking about. I dont know why i took it so literal.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #97
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

That first pic posted by CityPolice is one of my favorite pics of NYC. Anyway, I always go back and forth when it comes to which skyline I prefer. It all depends on the angle I guess.

Last edited by 3521usa; April 16th, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
3521usa no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #98
nygirl

NEW YORK CITY...round 1

For a while I have been saving photos from various threads on the forum of both citys. I usually use them to post in other threads and other sections but they're also perfect for this one. There are a few that are out-dated as well as other that are not exactly skyline shots but along the lines of this thread. *Please note that if a photo is not credited it is not mine nor do I know who took it.*

[B]

- Eric

- Eric

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #99
nygirl

CHICAGO...round one

For a while I have been saving photos from various threads on the forum of both citys. I usually use them to post in other threads and other sections but they're also perfect for this one. There are a few that are out-dated as well as other that are not exactly skyline shots but along the lines of this thread. *Please note that if a photo is not credited it is not mine nor do I know who took it.*

- Den Haag Avw

- Den Haag Avw

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #100
nygirl

NEW YORK CITY...round 2

image hosted on flickr

- me

image hosted on flickr

nygirl no está en línea  

Closed Thread