daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has a better skyline?
New York City 165 61.80%
Chicago 102 38.20%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #101
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

CHICAGO...round 2

For a while I have been saving photos from various threads on the forum of both citys. I usually use them to post in other threads and other sections but they're also perfect for this one. There are a few that are out-dated as well as other that are not exactly skyline shots but along the lines of this thread. *Please note that if a photo is not credited it is not mine nor do I know who took it.*

- Thierryhubert

I_am_hydrogen

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #102
nygirl

New York City

For a while I have been saving photos from various threads on the forum of both citys. I usually use them to post in other threads and other sections but they're also perfect for this one. There are a few that are out-dated as well as other that are not exactly skyline shots but along the lines of this thread. *Please note that if a photo is not credited it is not mine nor do I know who took it.*

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

stephenhafin

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #103
nygirl

Chicago

- Chicago3rd

-I_am_Hydrogen

- I_am_Hydrogen

image hosted on flickr

- Chi649

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #104
nygirl

New York

-point&click

-point&click

- Patja

image hosted on flickr

-eqqman

Chicago

image hosted on flickr

- Waterboy4

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #105
nygirl

Chicago

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/***************/Chicago%20Photos/IMG_6034-1.jpg?t=1234815957[/IMG]

- me

- me

New York City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

- point&click

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #106
nygirl

RFC Panoramas

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #107
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

MORE! MORE!

Absolutely loving this thread. Orgasm of great skyline pictures.
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #108
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Great collection NYgirl...really shows off both cities!
Quote:
Orgasm of great skyline pictures.
lol
Northsider no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #109
Twix
Lange Jan en Lange Lies

Likes (Received): 0

This makes New York City a very beautifel skyline.

I still LOVE NY!
Twix no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #110
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Gotham City...

Ice age...

luci203 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #111
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

I gotta go with chicago, although at night, nyc is the one. the chicago skyline has life and color and as someone stated...dynamics. For the overall scheme, Nyc is just so brown and dreary looking
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #112
nygirl

There used to be these great threads a couple months and few years back where the Chicago and NY forumers kind of got together to compare similar shots around both citys with eachother.
There were 2 or maybe even 3 in all and the best part was that everyone got along which is rare in any vs. thread and it happend x3 for us.

I have no idea where those threads dropped but Kevin if you're out there and you got the links maybe we can bring them back to life to accompany this thread.

We should do an architecture thread paying homage to both of these citys somewhere.

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #113
Northsider

Quote:
There were 2 or maybe even 3 in all and the best part was that everyone got along which is rare in any vs. thread and it happend x3 for us.
I loved that thread! I did a quick search in the Chicago forums but I couldn't find it. :-/
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #114
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
There used to be these great threads a couple months and few years back where the Chicago and NY forumers kind of got together to compare similar shots around both citys with eachother.

I have no idea where those threads dropped but Kevin if you're out there and you got the links maybe we can bring them back to life to accompany this thread.

We should do an architecture thread paying homage to both of these citys somewhere.

Yes, I remember some of those old threads. I am sure that we can recreate them, if we can't get back the old links...
tpe no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #115
Northsider

Quote:
There were 2 or maybe even 3 in all and the best part was that everyone got along which is rare in any vs. thread
For the most part, I think NYers and Chicagoans respect each other's city. When the thread celebrates both of them, rather than compare, good things happen. :-D I still cannot find that thread, it must have been a while ago.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #116
cubsfan

edit
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #117
lukasargyros

Likes (Received): 1

all about where you grow up

as with anything in ones environment, there are certain aspects that have more meaning to that person than other aspects. so the idea of "the skyline" treated as an object can have meaning to a person.

take these two people. someone that grows up in manhattan or chicago and for a majority of their lives never really leaves the city, the skyline will probably have less meaning to them vs. someone that grows up outside of either city and gets to experience the skyline the way a skyline is supposed to be experienced. from a distance.

perspective is key in the meaning of anything.

so...its a preference thing too. but i think the manhattan skyline is far more impressive than chicago...although im a fan of chicago from the ground over manhattan

maybe
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #118
cubsfan

More of Chi:

cubsfan no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #119
nygirl

Oh that last shot is money...I like how the buildings around Rush street, Streeterville, and around the water tower puncuate the sky. That, and the trio of Intercontinental, Trib, and Wrigley are quintessentially Chicago. I'll check the archives for those threads but I'll probably have no luck. If we can put our heads together on this one and get a new thread where should we put it? I'd like it if this could be that thread but the title will bring in an unwanted element that is expected. We could call it the Chicago-New York apprfeciation thread? Architecture thread? We could always call it "Wanna know who your Mommy and Daddy are?" but that would be a little too inflammatory but still funny.

nygirl no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #120
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post

It was resurrected years ago, but there wasn't a great deal of interest in it anymore.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=292814
spyguy no está en línea  

Closed Thread