search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #1
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

MISC | Public transport to universities

Here is our station. Blindern its called, and its the main station for Blindern, which is the place where Oslo University is.

Does your country got a tram, subway or light-rail university station? Interesting guide this would be

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 10th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #2
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3230

The biggest University in Brisbane Australia is about to have a Busway Station soon. The University is the second largest public transport trip generator in the state of Queensland.

The busway will go from the CBD of Brisbane to the University so that buses will not have to travel on the traditional roads.

They will have a bus terminating there during semester days at least every 5 minutes perhaps more!

Below are some photo's of the bridge that will have the busway go over it. The photo's are taken from the University itself. Only pedestrians, pushbikes, buses and emergancy vehicles are allowed over the bridge.

Artists impression:

From: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:S...5864:pc=PC_142

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfix
I had forgotten about this bridge until I read this forum recently.
So went out last weekend at took some photos from the St Lucia side.

From: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...78#post8545578

There is a subway station for the University in the CBD of Brisbane on the new Brisbane CBD Masterplan. This sure isn't a definate yet though.

Any details about Busways: http://www.transinfo.qld.gov.au/qt/T...dex/TL_busways
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”

Last edited by KJBrissy; May 27th, 2006 at 05:13 AM.
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #3
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 101

Grt pics there guys!

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #4
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 1

The University of Toronto has an entire subway line to itself. The Toronto Transit Commission has a University Subway Line, running through-service on both the Yonge line (its predecessor) and the Spadina Line (its successor). Built as a relief line for the southern most leg of the Yonge Subway Line, the University Line takes people from the west end to Union station, the southern-most station in the city for both subway and regional railways. The University line runs parallel to the Yonge Line only 3 blocks away in the dowtown core south of the east-west cross-town Bloor-Danforth Subway Line. The University of Toronto is serviced at St.Patrick, Queen's Park, Museum, St. George, and Spadina Stations. The University also has a dedicated ROW tram [streetcar] service running along its west flank on Spadina Ave. to go with its North and East flanking subway services. The flanking service spreads across the entire length of the massive historical campus that spans several city blocks. The south flank is also supported by tram service, the Dundas streetcars run along its south flank and the 506 Carlton streetcar cuts right through the campus in its southern half. The Dundas and Carlton streetcars have no ROW and are in mixed traffic throughout their entire routes (excluding terminus loops).

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #5
UT596001
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

In Catalonia the situation is:

-For UPC's Campus in Barcelona's city (Diagonal Avenue, at the bennining near Esplugues de Llobregat city), actually have 2 stations of line 3 of Barcelona's underground, and 3 stops of "Trambaix" tramway system.
-For university in the center of Barcelona, near is situated the undergrond station of "Universitat", stops lines 1 and 2 of underground. 3 minutes by foot is the FGC terminus station who stops the urban lines, 6 and 7 and the suburban services to Sant Cugat del Vallès, Sabadell and Terrassa, and they have station of Spanish Railways (RENFE), who stops the surronding trains, lines C1, C3, C4 and C7 and regional trains (lines Barcelona-Ripoll-Puigcerdà-La Tor de Querol and Barcelona-Manresa-Lleida).
-For the UAB campus, they have 2 railway stations: the FGC station on Barcelona-Sabadell line and, near the AP-7 motorway have the RENFE station, surronding trains line 7 connected by the campus for free shuttle buses.
-For UPC campus in Terrassa, actually the only way to go to this is by urban bus, lines 1, 3, 6, 7 and 10. In the future the trains of Barcelona-Terrassa line stops at this location. By foot the RENFE station (surronding trains line C4 and regional trains to Lleida) is 15 minutes away, bus line 10 connects the UPC with the station but only have a bus every 30-40 minutes aproximately.
And the universities in Girona, Lleida and Tarragona the only way to go in is the bus. I don't know that the Vic's university is far away from RENFE station (Barcelona-Ripoll-Puigcerdà line).
UT596001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #6
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1983

The ETH Main Building has a tram station right infront of it:

And it has a bus stop underground next to it.

Also it has its own funicular:

The eth Höngerberg (Science City) has a bus stop with several lines (one direct to the main station one direct to the main building of the ETH)

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #7
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3230

That is so cool!!
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #8
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1352

The University of Hamburg has its buildings spreaded all over the city, but the campus with most of the faculties is located near the city centre. The main building is just across Dammtor Railway (and S-Bahn) station, which is also the station where most students alight to reach the campus. Dammtor station is the only station near the university where the university is mentioned on the signposts.
Some students take the Metrobus line no. 4 or 5 from Dammtor station for one or two stops to reach their faculty. Or others drive until subway station "Hallerstraße" and walk from there to the campus.
On this picture you see the station right of the highrise and the university main building (the one with a dome) left of the highrise. The highrise itself and the complex beneath it are the Radisson SAS Hotel and the Congress Centrum Hamburg

On micro's homepage you can see a nice picture of the station.

The University of applied sciences is also spread all over the city, but the campus is located near station "Berliner Tor" (2 U-Bahn and 4 S-Bahn lines) and the subway station "Lohmühlenstraße".

The Technical University Hamburg-Harburg is situated near the centre of the southern district Harburg. You can reach it by taking the S-bahn until "Harburg Rathaus" and then walk some minutes or take the bus from there for one stop.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 1921

Probably the busiest university line in our country is a bus line. It runs in the town of Utrecht (where the university with the same name is located) between the university complex and the central station (which happens to be the busiest national train hub - due to Utrecht's central location in The Netherlands). Line 12 uses a special kind of extra long articulated buses:

During peak hours, this bus line runs at intervals of 3 minutes and less.

Other stations that serve an important connecting function - but not being entirely reserved to the university's use:

Delft: station Delft Zuid. In the near future, a new tram line (19) should run right next to the university's campus;

Amsterdam: Weesperplein metro station is located nearby the main building of the University of Amsterdam; the 'sneltram'-station 'De Boelelaan/VU' serves the complex of the Vrije Universiteit (Free University) - it actually carries the name of the university ('VU');

Eindhoven: the central station is located at a few minutes' walk from the university complex.

I bet there are more stations in the Netherlands that are heavily used by students, so the list is not complete.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #10
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1352

Exactly the same bus type is now used on Metrobus line 5 in Hamburg, which is allegedly the heaviest used bus line in Europe thanks to the high amount of students. Intervalls are as high in peak time as in Utrecht, but sometimes up to three busses of the same line drive like in a convoy.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #11
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

The University of Miami has a Metrorail station... shockingly and surprisingly, named "University" station. They'll probably have to re-name it to "U. Miami" station once the new line out to Florida International University opens sometime between 2012 and 2014.

It's not a huge exaggeration to say that UM students accounted for a huge percentage of Metrorail's riders during its first 10 years of existence due to stations at Dadeland Mall, the University of Miami's Medical School ("Civic Center" Station), the Orange Bowl ("Culmer Station", which is actually a half mile from the Orange Bowl, but is the closest Metrorail gets to the stadium), and to a minor extent, Downtown Miami (not a whole lot of reasons to go downtown back then, but it was there if anyone cared).

miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #12
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 1921

@ DiggerD21: I've been told that something similar happens in Utrecht. Although I never used the line (I don't live there ), I sometimes pass the bus lane that runs parallel to the train viaduct (by...well, take a good guess). It's a rather short stretch, about a mile long, but if you're lucky you can see up to three buses on line 12 in one direction. Furthermore, the line has been 'split' into a regular line 12 that stops at all intermediate stops, and line 12s, which only stops at the most important stops.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #13
mankawabi

Likes (Received): 3

In San Juan, Puerto Rico, there are several stations that connect different university campuses and facilities:

- Universidad Station, which gets you right in front of the main University of Puerto Rico (UPR-Río Piedras) campus, in the Río Piedras district.

- Centro Médico (Medical Center) Station lies next to the UPR Medical Sciences Campus.

- Cupey Station is surrounded by: the Metropolitan University, the UPR Botanical Gardens, the UPR Press, the UPR System Headquarters, and the future UPR Molecular Sciences Complex.

- Roosevelt Station lies next to the Polythecnic University of Puerto Rico

- Sagrado Corazón (Sacred Heart) Station lies next to the catholic University of the Sacred Heart
mankawabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #14
bayviews

Likes (Received): 50

Well one of the more interesting recent projects on the US west coast has been the Mission Valley East extension of the very successful San Diego Trolley light rail system. The extension, completed at a cost of just over half a billion dollars, includes the first underground segment on the San Diego light rail, with a subway station serving the San Diego State University campus.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

"Akdeniz University" have got 3 or 4 bus stops only
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #16
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Here is University of Alberta LRT Station and transit center in Edmonton

ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #17
kostya
SSC Veteran

Likes (Received): 2157

My city(Thessaloniki) still doesn't have a subway, but the construction is about to begin this year.

here's the future map:
http://www.ametro.gr/main/communicat...thess_4310.jpg
the "Πανεπιστήμιο" station in the center.
kostya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #18
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Stockholm has 1 underground station ("Universitetet") on the red line, and two stops on the local railroad Roslagsbanan. The stops are "Universitetet" and "Frescati".
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #19
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ
The University of Toronto has an entire subway line to itself. The Toronto Transit Commission has a University Subway Line, running through-service on both the Yonge line (its predecessor) and the Spadina Line (its successor). Built as a relief line for the southern most leg of the Yonge Subway Line, the University Line takes people from the west end to Union station, the southern-most station in the city for both subway and regional railways. The University line runs parallel to the Yonge Line only 3 blocks away in the dowtown core south of the east-west cross-town Bloor-Danforth Subway Line. The University of Toronto is serviced at St.Patrick, Queen's Park, Museum, St. George, and Spadina Stations. The University also has a dedicated ROW tram [streetcar] service running along its west flank on Spadina Ave. to go with its North and East flanking subway services. The flanking service spreads across the entire length of the massive historical campus that spans several city blocks. The south flank is also supported by tram service, the Dundas streetcars run along its south flank and the 506 Carlton streetcar cuts right through the campus in its southern half. The Dundas and Carlton streetcars have no ROW and are in mixed traffic throughout their entire routes (excluding terminus loops).
Toronto's 2 other universities also have transit stations. Ryerson University is served through Dundas station on the Yonge line with the Dundas streetcar line running half a block south of campus and the Carlton streetcar line running one block north of campus. The Dundas station was redone in the late 1980's I believe and the original creamy yellow tiles (which are still evident in the stairwells) were replaced with what I can only describe as dirty fluorescent yellow.

York University in the city's northwest is currently served by a commuter rail station and an inter-regional bus terminal. The TTC is in the process of extending the Spadina Line from Downsview through York University and onward to the neighbouring city.

The University of Toronto's other two campuses are situated in the suburbs and are serviced through bus loops.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #20
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3442

In Barcelona metro:

UNIVERSITAT station in L1.
ZONA UNIVERSITÀRIA station in L3.

More "Universities" stations under construction.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote