search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #21
bayviews

Likes (Received): 50

Lets hope Belgrade finally gets a metro! It's one of the last major cities in Europe without heavy rapid transit. Will add to Belgrade's good tram & trolleybus services. Most of the surrounding capitals, Athens, Bucharest, Budapest, Istanbul, & Sofia at least all have metros.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #22
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7241

BELGRADE | Public Transport

If you have ever wondered how does the public transit system of Europe's by far largest city WITHOUT a working metro system function, this thread is for you

From Wiki:
Quote:

GSP Belgrade - (Serbian: ГСП Београд, GSP Beograd) is a public company responsible for suburban public transportation in Belgrade. The acronym "GSP" stands for Gradsko saobraćajno preduzeće (Градско саобраћајно предузеће, English: City Transport Company). GSP has 7000 employees.

History:

Its history dates back to October 14, 1892 when the first horse tram line began operating in Belgrade between Slavija Square and Terazije. It was known under the name Beogradska varoška železnica (Београдска варошка железница, English: Belgrade City Rail)[1]. The first bus line was opened in 1925 and in 1947 the first trolleybuses appeared in Belgrade.

Nowadays, GSP Beograd operates in conjunction with private companies in providing bus transport, using an ITS - Integrated Tariff System[2]. Tickets can be purchased at kiosks or from the driver, former being the preferred and cheaper way. Entire traffic grid is divided in two zones. Zone 1 covers most of the urban region of the city, with the second zone surrounding it. Ticket price is higher for single rides that cross the zone boundary. Monthly passes are also available, with discounts for the employed, students, the disabled and pensioners.

There are 132 lines, out of which 12 are tram, 8 are trolleybus and 112 are bus lines. Service operates daily between 4am and midnight, with a limited night bus system. GSP also operates school bus lines, and transportation for the disabled.

It is estimated that over 1000 vehicles are in operation on workdays. Average age of vehicles is around 4.2 years.

Quote:
GSP Facts & Figures:

- 165 lines, total length 1.903,7km
- 12 tram lines, total length 127,3km
- 8 trolleybus lines, total length 58,10km
- 124 bus lines, total length 1.642,5km
- 15 school-bus lines
- 6 seasonal lines, total length 75,78km
- 218 trams
- 846 buses (383 solo & 463 articulated)
- 125 trolleybuses (99 solo and 26 articulated)
- 15 mini-buses for transport of people with special needs
- 475 million passengers annually
Map of trolleybus lines:

Map of tram lines:

Last edited by CrazySerb; November 4th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #23
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

This year we're finally seeing some progress on the almost century long initiative to build an underground rail system in the city.

Quote:
Serbia seeks Russian loan to build Belgrade subway
19:46 | 13/ 04/ 2009

MOSCOW, April 13 (RIA Novosti) - Serbia's government will soon send a delegation to Moscow for negotiations on obtaining a Russian loan to build a subway system in Belgrade, Serb economics minister Mladan Dinkic said on Monday.

A metro system had been considered for Belgrade in the mid-1970s, but the idea was abandoned due to lack of necessity and shortage of funds. However, the plans have been re-launched due to increasing road congestion and overload of transport systems.

The city plans to build the metro by 2021.

Dinkic also said that Serbia is engaged in talks with China on obtaining credit for the construction of a new bridge across the Danube. The project cost is estimated at 200 million euros ($265 mln).
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #24
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Belgrade to receive 30 new trams
3 November 2009 | 15:08 | Source: Beta

Quote:
BELGRADE -- The City of Belgrade has signed an agreement with Spanish company CAF for buying 30 new trams worth a total of EUR 81mn.

The trams are expected to arrive to Serbia over the next three years.

Each tram is worth about EUR 2.1mn and spare parts are also included in the deal.

Belgrade Mayor Dragan Đilas said that the city assembly will improve the quality of transportation in the city significantly, "but also add to the city aesthetically".

He said that CAF’s offer was selected by an expert commission, even though Croatian Končar had a cheaper offer. Đilas said that it was determined that the Spanish product was of a higher quality.

The first new tram is expected to be seen on the Belgrade streets in two years, while the rest will be delivered in what Đilas described as "1,035 days".

He said that one basic task of the city assembly is to improve the quality of transportation, adding that there will also be 83 new trolleybuses bought next year, and that more than 200 buses will have air conditioning systems installed in them.

The European Investment Bank has lent EUR 20mn for the purchase of the trams, while the rest will be paid from the city budget through 2014, Đilas said.

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #25
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

You do not need a metro to be a great city.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #26
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2548

How sad, that Russians don't build good trams.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #27
Stelian

Likes (Received): 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr View Post
How sad, that Russians don't build good trams.
I sense some irony there
Anyways the spanish trams have very good design and with a nice colour theme they will deffinetly improve the city look
Stelian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #28
Eurotram
Eurotram

Likes (Received): 2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelian View Post
I sense some irony there
Well,it was really visible during last years,that Belgrade prefered russian of belarussian products (such as Belkommunmash);but on the other hand,tram should be able to work not less than 30-40 years;meanwhile russian manufacturers (eg. UKVZ) "give" their products only 16 years (or something like that).Besides,Belgrade is a capital of the european country and (as a capital) it should have something better than some less important city (as you probably know,Bucharest is going to buy trams from Siemens;when you compare it to the other romanian cities - apart from Oradea - then you'll got an answer why Belgrade buys something better than russian trams)

Quote:
Anyways the spanish trams have very good design and with a nice colour theme they will deffinetly improve the city look
I agree with that opinion
Eurotram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #29
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2548

Quote:
I sense some irony there
Of course it was ironic. Serbs seem to prefer Russian/Belarusian products irrespective of rational reasons. BTW Russians are much more pragmatic. Choice of the Spanish supplier is another step towards normality in European relations.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM   #30
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

After the purchase of 30 new low-floor trams from CAF, the next big-ticket item will be trolleybus renewal - at least 85-100 new trolley's will be ordered for Belgrade's city transport firm.

So far, five manufacturers have shown interest in supplying these vehicles - Hess (Switzerland), Ansaldo (Italy), Neoplan (Germany), Skoda (Czech Rep.) and Solaris (Poland).

The average age of Belgrade's current trolleybus fleet is ~15 years.

These are some of the newest models - about 30-40 were bought from a Belorussian manufacturer "Belkommunmash".
The rest are old ZIU & Trolza models.

Last edited by CrazySerb; November 21st, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #31
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

In anticipation of the arrival of modern & new low-floor vehicles from Spain, Belgrade's tram network has been undergoing heavy reconstruction during these last few years:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojan9 View Post
Savska- sviđa mi se što je baštica opstala.
[IMG]http://i46.************/1zfn1uq.jpg[/IMG]

Bulevar vojvode Mišića- rekonstrukcija
[IMG]http://i49.************/8vqm9y.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/23gxno3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2rf81nt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/33287dk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/20sx1uc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/ng9gmw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/xpykg0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/50mxpz.jpg[/IMG]

I jedan tramvaj u Nemanjinoj
[IMG]http://i47.************/2dk0kzd.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #32
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

I also wonder about the metro station without a metro. Has nyone heard of this?

http://www.subways.net/yugoslavia/index.htm
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #33
dexmex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

[Actually,Belgrade has a suburban metro similar to RER Paris ,five lines,25 km doubel tunnels connect large suburban area with the center of the city http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...28/Beovoz2.jpg

Last edited by dexmex; November 25th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
dexmex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #34
takini

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
I also wonder about the metro station without a metro. Has nyone heard of this?

http://www.subways.net/yugoslavia/index.htm
The station has a dual purpose. It’s a rail station and a metro station. Since there is no metro in Belgrade yet, only the rail part of the station is working. So you can catch a train at the station but you can’t catch a metro (yet).

The confusion is there because the station itself looks like any other modern metro station, the only difference being that there is no metro (only the rail}. The station is intended to be a link between the rail and the metro and they put it all underground because of Belgrade’s geography. Belgrade is a very hilly city and the only way to put rail in it is via a tunnel, otherwise the ride would look like a rollercoaster.
takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #35
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

So do you mean that there is a metro platform that goes no where in addition to the commuter rail stop at this station?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #36
takini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
So do you mean that there is a metro platform that goes no where in addition to the commuter rail stop at this station?
Yes the station has two levels, one for the rail which is working and one for the metro which has its platforms sealed off awaiting the metro.
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #37
takini

Because of its geography, rail through Belgrade runs via series of tunnels and viaducts. One of those tunnels runs underneath the city’s central core.

image hosted on flickr

That tunnel has an underground train station in it, so the commuters can catch their trains in the central core itself.

image hosted on flickr

The old train stations are located around the edges of the city making this station the most popular with the commuters. In fact all of the commuter trains are using this new underground station. The old train stations are servicing long distance trains only.

Last edited by takini; November 26th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #38
takini

The tunnel runs a straight line under Belgrade and the station entrance happens to be on a hill top so the platforms are 40 meters deep.

image hosted on flickr

The escalators are actually white but there is always this copperish color showing at the photos, don’t know why.
The tunnel has two tubes, one for each track, the tubes are in there but its too dark to show on the picture.

image hosted on flickr

Here’s the left platform:

image hosted on flickr

And the right one:

image hosted on flickr

I’ve made the pictures with my cell phone so the quality is not that good.
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #39
takini

Take a look at the first picture that I’ve posted. Now I am standing on the other side. The two central tracks are heading for the Belgrade’s southern Rakovica station. So if you are arriving in Belgrade from the south, you exit the long distance train at the Rakovica station and catch the commuter train for the tunnel station.

image hosted on flickr

The tunnel station’s name is Vukov Spomenik.
The right track is heading for the Belgrade’s western station Novi Beograd, the left track is descending under the central track and turning right for Novi Beograd as well. So you have two tracks heading for both directions and their paths newer collide. It’s an underground railway stack.
If you arrive in Belgrade from the west, you exit at the Novi Beograd station and catch the commuter train for the tunnel station there. The commuter trains are called Beovoz.
There is only one long distance train arriving in Belgrade from the north. It’s the Bucharest-Belgrade train. The national long distance trains end their ride at the nearby northern city of Pancevo. They had to shorten their lines till Pancevo because the commuter trains congested the northern railway line {the busiest one] and there are no time slots for them.
The train from Bucharest actually runs the city tunnel but it doesn’t stop at the tunnel station. People who arrive in Belgrade from Bucharest or Timisoara and want to go to the tunnel station must exit at the Novi Beograd station.

Last edited by takini; November 26th, 2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #40
takini

Let’s take another look at the tunnel station.

image hosted on flickr

Our train is coming.

Arriving at the Karadjordev Park station (yes it’s underground as well). Ridding the viaduct over the Belgrade-Nis highway.

And now going back home. This is yet unfinished Prokop station, the future main passenger hub in Serbia.

Tags
caf