daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #241
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #242
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

that was a really cool video
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #243
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Nice video....a line to the airport is one of the best ideas for this system.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #244
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

It's great Dallas has a large LRT system but seriously there should be no more building of new branch lines until a second downtown connector is built.

You could have 300 mile rail LRT/Metro system but it's not much use if it has 30 minute headways.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #245
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Well this is US, where mass transit don't get enough support or money as they do in Europe and Asia.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #246
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
It's great Dallas has a large LRT system but seriously there should be no more building of new branch lines until a second downtown connector is built.

You could have 300 mile rail LRT/Metro system but it's not much use if it has 30 minute headways.
Well I think the thing that is stopping that from happening is it's not just it's other cities in the area that are making the decisions. Like Dallas wanted to build a subway line but the suburban areas wanted more transit in the suburbs. So well I think that's the reason.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #247
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

I noticed some construction and new metal pillars on I-30 near Grand Avenue a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is part of DART? I was wondering because they seem to be adjacent to the train yard.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #248
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Ah! you mean East Grand at South Barry ... looks like a warehouse district

Last edited by trainrover; November 29th, 2011 at 03:03 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #249
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Ah! you mean East Grand at South Barry ... looks like a warehouse district
Yes. They look like highway columns but I don't think they're putting in a new freeway there. I thought perhaps they're building a spur to Fair Park so the trains won't have to go halfway to Oak Cliff to get to the train yard.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #250
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

"Stolen" from the DALLAS | DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Development News,

thanks WesTexas for posting this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
Here are the new DART buses:

It's cool that these run on compressed natural gas. I'm not sure how efficient it is compared to diesel or gasoline but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

I wonder how the rest of the DART Rail system expansion is going. I've been to Dallas several times in the past couple months, I see the rail lines next to U.S. 75 but never see any trains. Also the first time I took the DART for fun a few months ago I noticed the downtown stations did not show when the next train was arriving, weird.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #251
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

It's cool that these run on compressed natural gas. I'm not sure how efficient it is compared to diesel or gasoline but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

I wonder how the rest of the DART Rail system expansion is going. I've been to Dallas several times in the past couple months, I see the rail lines next to U.S. 75 but never see any trains. Also the first time I took the DART for fun a few months ago I noticed the downtown stations did not show when the next train was arriving, weird.
Shows how far behind the US is with bus development. At lot of the rest of the world went to natural gas about 20 years ago. The benifit of natural gas is the cost, availability and emmisions as opposed to efficency. The rest of the world however is now starting to move away from natural gas into hybrid technology and diesel engines with even stricter enviromental requirements.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #252
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Shows how far behind the US is with bus development. At lot of the rest of the world went to natural gas about 20 years ago. The benifit of natural gas is the cost, availability and emmisions as opposed to efficency. The rest of the world however is now starting to move away from natural gas into hybrid technology and diesel engines with even stricter enviromental requirements.
not true at all.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #253
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
far behind the US is with bus development
Canada also ... Quebec itself (i.e., compared to Ontario)? Even more so!
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #254
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
not true at all.
Which part isn't true?
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #255
State of the Union

Quote:
Which part isn't true?
Well here are the problems I have with your statement.

First, most of DART's buses are 10+ years old, they really haven't taken the opportunity to purchase new buses that are CNG or hybrid. Second, we have hybrid and efficient diesel engine tech. Los Angeles already has a 100% CNG Fleet. Agencies around country have Hybrids running. Hybrid technology is nothing new in the US. However, I can attest from here in So-Cal, that due to the bankruptcy of ISE, many agencies have had to purchase CNG even though they had purchased Gas-Electric models before. It has nothing to do with the US being behind.

EDIT: You really must not live in the US. Hybrids are everywhere.

Last edited by State of the Union; March 5th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #256
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

Interesting, the abbreviation caught my eye, DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit).
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #257
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Well here are the problems I have with your statement.
You need to read my statement in the context of the post I was replying to. The poster was getting so excited about DART getting CNG buses, which as I pointed out have been common elsewhere in the world for a number of years, and also have I pointed out are elsewhere in the world becoming less of a choice in favour of more efficent and lower pouluting diesel or hybrid technology. Maybe what I should have said is DART is so far behind the times.

Certainly nothing wrong with that statement.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #258
State of the Union

Quote:
You need to read my statement in the context of the post I was replying to. The poster was getting so excited about DART getting CNG buses, which as I pointed out have been common elsewhere in the world for a number of years, and also have I pointed out are elsewhere in the world becoming less of a choice in favour of more efficent and lower pouluting diesel or hybrid technology. Maybe what I should have said is DART is so far behind the times.

Certainly nothing wrong with that statement.
Yes, saying DART specifically is behind makes much more sense. I did read the context, but saying the "US is far behind in bus development" is a just plain ludicrous statement that made you look like you had no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #259
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

Dallas is impressive its light rail system is very impressive it may rival Los Angeles one day and its increable to see a city where cars are dominant, rail is becoming more and more common.

DART keep up the good job, transit is better then no transit, so i don't understand this whole thing is behind thing.

The united states is recovering what those stupid motor companies did to the united states after WWII was ignoring rail and build only highways and airports which is stupid in order to maintain a great transit a city has to have equal modes of transportation a balance not favorism.
goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #260
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by goten2255 View Post
Dallas is impressive its light rail system is very impressive it may rival Los Angeles one day and its increable to see a city where cars are dominant, rail is becoming more and more common.
With measure R and several rail lines about start construction, higher density, and higher headways means Dallas will never touch LA. The Blue Line alone gets nearly twice as much ridership as Dallas' entire system.

Dallas needs more TOD and a second downtown connector. The current Downtown connector is Dallas' Achilles heel. Sure they have large rail system, but it's ridiculous headways because they have 4 different lines on 2 tracks will limit it's it's growth.

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas