daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #261
Wendy101

Likes (Received): 1

The rest of the world however is now starting to move away from natural gas into hybrid technology and diesel engines with even stricter enviromental requirements.
Wendy101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #262
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Well here are the problems I have with your statement.

First, most of DART's buses are 10+ years old, they really haven't taken the opportunity to purchase new buses that are CNG or hybrid. Second, we have hybrid and efficient diesel engine tech. Los Angeles already has a 100% CNG Fleet. Agencies around country have Hybrids running. Hybrid technology is nothing new in the US. However, I can attest from here in So-Cal, that due to the bankruptcy of ISE, many agencies have had to purchase CNG even though they had purchased Gas-Electric models before. It has nothing to do with the US being behind.

EDIT: You really must not live in the US. Hybrids are everywhere.
All true but I have to say that I have issue with the look of most of the American buses. They just look dated, even if they are new and have modern engines and other systems.
Why is that? Is it that public is so conservative that buses have to be square and clumsy looking? I really don't get it.
Of course look is subjective but compare this:

with this:

or this:

interior of Solaris bus made in Poland

Are the new Dallas buses 100% low floor?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #263
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Purely in terms of aesthetics, I much prefer the 1st one to the other two. Especially the 2nd one which reminds me of some Caribbean tourist bus rather than a robust transit bus in a big city.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #264
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I prefer the first one as well.

The others are just too "boxy" looking, and are also appear to be less aerodynamic as well which decreases fuel efficiency.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #265
Ultramatic
Gotham City

Likes (Received): 1506

Not to mention our buses have real "Bumpers".
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #266
NotTarts

Likes (Received): 3

Besides, the bus doesn't even look like that. Here's the picture from the video:

The only things that bug me are the bumper bar and opening windows. Are those both just for safety reasons?

Last edited by NotTarts; March 10th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
NotTarts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #267
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

The bar in the front is a bike carrier. They have become very common in North America. Here is how it works:

Old March 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #268
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I think it's good to have opening windows. What happens when the aircon fails? As for bumpers, really have no opinion re. buses, but US reg. bumpers sure make passenger cars ugly, makes a nice BMW look like it has a hang lip...
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #269
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
All true but I have to say that I have issue with the look of most of the American buses. They just look dated, even if they are new and have modern engines and other systems.
Why is that? Is it that public is so conservative that buses have to be square and clumsy looking? I really don't get it.
Of course look is subjective but compare this:

with this:

or this:

interior of Solaris bus made in Poland

Are the new Dallas buses 100% low floor?
I'm sorry, but for me, even a C40LF(Not even restyled) looks better than those European Buses. Honestly, it's the European buses that look dated. That first bus is less square looking than the buses you say aren't????

Please tell me how those European buses look better than this:

Last edited by State of the Union; March 10th, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #270
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Purely in terms of aesthetics, I much prefer the 1st one to the other two. Especially the 2nd one which reminds me of some Caribbean tourist bus rather than a robust transit bus in a big city.
But, but the first one doesn't look ... European!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #271
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

There are better looking Euro buses than the ones geogregor posted. Besides, US buses were butt ugly boxes until recently.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #272
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
There are better looking Euro buses than the ones geogregor posted. Besides, US buses were butt ugly boxes until recently.
You mean they're looking more European these days ?*

*sarcasm
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #273
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

^ The first one would be from Dallas, the other 2 seem to be German.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #274
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Of course there are better looking buses, but he used those buses in his comparison so therefore saying "there are better looking Euro buses" is moot.

Also, The RTS has been around for ages and it certainly isnt boxy. Even the boxy looking ones, like the C40LF still look better LOL.

Edit: You Europeans have such a superiority complex it's rediculous. You will even say something looks better just because it's European even though it may be the most ugliest thing on the planet.

Last edited by State of the Union; March 11th, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #275
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Edit: You Europeans have such a superiority complex it's rediculous. You will even say something looks better just because it's European even though it may be the most ugliest thing on the planet.
I'm not European (Australian actually), and think US buses generally look outdated though must admit the metrobus a few post backs looks good. So does that also give me a superiority complex? Also don't think the issue is squareness, just styling.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #276
NotTarts

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
I'm not European (Australian actually), and think US buses generally look outdated though must admit the metrobus a few post backs looks good. So does that also give me a superiority complex? Also don't think the issue is squareness, just styling.
We have plenty of outdated buses in Australia. It's not just restricted to the US:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
NotTarts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #277
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

OMG!

Can those things even move under their own power?

But seriously though, they're cool.

Btw, in the first picture, are those three smoke stack things part of the bus or attached to something in the background?
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #278
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
That wasn't aimed at you specifically, but I was trying to aim it at Europeans in general. The Europeans on this forum have a huge superiority complex. I'm not just going off of this thread, but also going off of other threads I've seen on this forum. Basically, anything that's DIFFERENT from European is automatically seen as inferior.

geogregor started the debate over squareness, and used European buses that were blatantly even more square than the American bus he was arguing against. Basically signaling to me that he thought those buses looked better just because they were European.

In my opinion, I think the even older american buses like the NABI 40-LFW Gen 1, or New Flyer C40LF look better than allot of new Euro buses. However, I think this is because the general styling of US buses vs Euro Buses is different. So to me, Euro buses are the ugliest buses on the planet, and to you guys on the other side of the world think our buses look outdated.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #279
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
American buses. They just look dated
Once upon a time, they didn't look dated, e.g.:

image hosted on flickr

featured here...

I used to find them quite stylish
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #280
Ultramatic
Gotham City

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
...I was trying to aim it at Europeans in general. The Europeans on this forum have a huge superiority complex. ...Basically, anything that's DIFFERENT from European is automatically seen as inferior.
It's not a superiority complex, it's an inferiority complex, and only some of them have it. They desperately need to feel that they can better the U.S. in everything. Hey, it's their problem. All I know I can afford to own and maintain a V8 powered car, and I'm just middle class. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Ultramatic; March 11th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Ultramatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas