daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #281
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Then again, Europeans appear to be dipping back into design portfolios hailng from 90 years ago (that bus fronting the video truly looks just like my old school bus, door behind the twin passenger seats beside the driver, only ours was a longer model )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

Last edited by trainrover; March 12th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #282
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Once upon a time, they didn't look dated, e.g.:

image hosted on flickr

featured here...

I used to find them quite stylish
I Miss those buses, THOSE were buses

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #283
trainrover

I miss them too ... I ought to have written that I still find them stylish, not 'used to'
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #284
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTarts View Post
We have plenty of outdated buses in Australia. It's not just restricted to the US:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
We have been discussing new bus designs, not old. Each of the buses pictured above were built in the mid-late 80's.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #285
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Please tell me how those European buses look better than this:
I have to admit it actually looks nice in this shot. Which city is it from?

But why the doors are so narrow? Especially the rear ones? If you have a buggy I guess you are forced to use the front door
European buses might be square but at least most of them have very ergonomic interiors with low floor and wide doors.

BTW, sorry for starting this silly discussion At the end a lot depends on personal taste and preferences. Especially if we judge just the look of the bus.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #286
trainrover

I like it too ... its livery reminds me of Laval's 1980s silver and orange-banded livery, which looked appealing in the sparsely-dotted, vast suburban scape under the blazing hazy summertime sunshine
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #287
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I have to admit it actually looks nice in this shot. Which city is it from?
Washington, as part of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authorities Metrobus operation.

FWIW, I like the look of the bus as well.
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #288
trainrover

(Pardon me, Dallas fans.) I thought that streamlined model hailed from the '80s.

I had no idea the New Look (fishbowl) engines sounded practically like those to GM's prior bus models, plus I'd no idea that automatic engines on busses has been around for ages

image hosted on flickr

Hark:

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:17 AM   #289
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Source: http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/blueline.asp
Quote:
DART successfully completed the first test run of the five-mile Blue Line extension linking Garland and Rowlett on Wednesday, April 25. The extension of DART's Blue Line is scheduled to open December 3. DART will test the new line section several times each day leading up to the opening. Pedestrians and motorists near the tracks and crossings need to be on the lookout for trains.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #290
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Very nice. I wonder why it will take until December 3rd to open the line.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #291
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Some pictures I took from April 9th. Not really great but thought someone would like them:

[IMG]http://i49.************/5b4kro.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/e7bcsx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.************/2yv6xp2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2rh04ue.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/8wlj6c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i49.************/2ni1gl0.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #292
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

I like DART's enthusiasm for expansion, but they really should cut down on extending branches when they should be building another downtown connector. I don't care if they if have the longest light rail system. 15-20 minute headways at 5 o clock in the afternoon is pathetic.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #293
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

If you think of DART light rail less as a low cost replacement for a metro system and more as an advanced Sydney-style commuter rail system. then the frequency doesn't seem so bad.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #294
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If you think of DART light rail less as a low cost replacement for a metro system and more as an advanced Sydney-style commuter rail system. then the frequency doesn't seem so bad.
I could think of DART light rail as anything. It doesn't change the fact that it's light rail with mediocre headways.

I also don't consider light rail as a low cost replacement to HRT. Not every city needs to build a full blown metro system. Portland comes to mind, though even though they are running 3 lines on the same tracks, their stations are triple-tracked. I would say light rail is more flexible replacement. Also, if you look at the costs to build Seattle's Central Link Light Rail, then this idea of "low cost replacement" goes out the window.

The fact is, those frequencies don't promote growth. If DART plans on ever having high ridership, then they need better headways. They may have the biggest LRT system in country, but ridership is abysmal. The Los Angeles Blue Line alone gets as much ridership as the entire DART system.

With that said, I do see your point, it does tend to act like Commuter Rail in the outlying parts, it's just that closer to the core the branches suffer.

Last edited by State of the Union; May 4th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #295
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
Portland comes to mind, though even though they are running 3 lines on the same tracks, their stations are triple-tracked.
which stations in Portland are triple-tracked?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #296
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
which stations in Portland are triple-tracked?
Rose Quarter:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.530221...02323&t=h&z=19

Gateway:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.53073,...04646&t=h&z=18

JELD-WEN:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.521391...03,-122.689913

Beaverton:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.491506...98,-122.801201

All the ones I can remember. Notice that even though Portland has allot of multiple lines running on the same tracks, Portland was smart enough to add capacity.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #297
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
I could think of DART light rail as anything. It doesn't change the fact that it's light rail with mediocre headways.

I also don't consider light rail as a low cost replacement to HRT. Not every city needs to build a full blown metro system. Portland comes to mind, though even though they are running 3 lines on the same tracks, their stations are triple-tracked. I would say light rail is more flexible replacement. Also, if you look at the costs to build Seattle's Central Link Light Rail, then this idea of "low cost replacement" goes out the window.

The fact is, those frequencies don't promote growth. If DART plans on ever having high ridership, then they need better headways. They may have the biggest LRT system in country, but ridership is abysmal. The Los Angeles Blue Line alone gets as much ridership as the entire DART system.

With that said, I do see your point, it does tend to act like Commuter Rail in the outlying parts, it's just that closer to the core the branches suffer.
But why should a largely suburban focused LRT be criticised for having frequencies of 15-20 minutes when if they had built a commuter train system to cover those areas instead, most of us would be applauding it for those frequencies. The only real difference is that commuter rail is typically used if the service is mostly in pre-existing rail corridors and doesn't need to run along roads. But in some cities the technologies can fulfill a similar purpose. Of course, I'm not suggesting that is the case for every city. Some use LRT as a type of lower capacity metro system or higher capacity/speed bus system. LRT can be used for many different things, and one must consider the intended purpose when evaluating its design and performance.

Don't get me wrong; I love high frequencies too. But in a system that is largely focused on covering a lot of ground and connecting the suburbs with downtown, I'm not sure it can be treated the same as a system fulfilling a primarily urban function.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #298
ajw373

Quote:
That is a rather poor analogy. Whilst you may well get 15 minute headways on the extrema branches or some smaller inner stations, most lines will have a train every 5 minutes or so in the peak. Take the Illawarra line for example. A train leaves Bondi Junction every 5 minutes, with one train being all stations to Hurstville or Sutherland, then an express to Cronulla and then an express to Waterfall. All the main stations between Bondi and Hurstville therefore get a 5 minute service.

Besides doesn't change the very valid point the poster was getting at, which is the frequency of the Dart is not really good enough and that the central part is a bottleneck that needs fixing before any more expansion outwards is done.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #299
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
That is a rather poor analogy. Whilst you may well get 15 minute headways on the extrema branches or some smaller inner stations, most lines will have a train every 5 minutes or so in the peak. Take the Illawarra line for example. A train leaves Bondi Junction every 5 minutes, with one train being all stations to Hurstville or Sutherland, then an express to Cronulla and then an express to Waterfall. All the main stations between Bondi and Hurstville therefore get a 5 minute service.

Besides doesn't change the very valid point the poster was getting at, which is the frequency of the Dart is not really good enough and that the central part is a bottleneck that needs fixing before any more expansion outwards is done.
If the frequency of each of the four individual lines is 10-15 min, that means there's 2.5-3.75 min between trains per direction on the central shared section. As it is, that's fairly busy, but not exactly a bottle neck. The argument that the "bottle neck" needs to be fixed is only valid if there is going to be a notable increase in individual line frequency. And even if City rail isn't a good comparison, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other valid comparisons of commuter-based systems functioning ok with similar frequency.

As far as the City rail example, I'm surprised the majority of service is as frequent as you imply since I've had this map saved on the hard drive for awhile and the frequencies appear to be lower unless I'm misreading it (which is possible since we rarely use this schedule format in NA). But there are plenty of other parallels to draw on if you prefer, like San Francisco's BART for instance. On the non-coupled sections, the trains rarely come more frequently than every 15 minutes.

Or perhaps it's just an issue of my individual experience. Here, we only have buses, and most of the routes only come every 1/2 hour. There are a couple that run more frequently like 10-20 min, but I've never lived near them. I honestly would have a lot of trouble empathizing with anyone complaining about 10-15 minute frequencies, because if I had that type of service I'd be in heaven. Same way with most of the commuter train riders in NA.

Now if higher frequency is needed to handle rider capacity, then that's a different story. But if the goal is just to attract ridership by improving the passenger experience, then focusing on reliability, cleanliness, safety, and most importantly accessibility should be the main goals. By accessibility, I mean having direct transit service to more places people want to go.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #300
ajw373

Quote:
If the frequency of each of the four individual lines is 10-15 min, that means there's 2.5-3.75 min between trains per direction on the central shared section. As it is, that's fairly busy, but not exactly a bottle neck. The argument that the "bottle neck" needs to be fixed is only valid if there is going to be a notable increase in individual line frequency. And even if City rail isn't a good comparison, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other valid comparisons of commuter-based systems functioning ok with similar frequency.
It becomes a bottle neck the moment you have an issue with one line or if you want to increase frequencies which is what myself and the other poster are saying.

Quote:
As far as the City rail example, I'm surprised the majority of service is as frequent as you imply since I've had this map saved on the hard drive for awhile and the frequencies appear to be lower unless I'm misreading it (which is possible since we rarely use this schedule format in NA). But there are plenty of other parallels to draw on if you prefer, like San Francisco's BART for instance. On the non-coupled sections, the trains rarely come more frequently than every 15 minutes.
Your miss reading it. The times shown are off peak. If you look at they key you will see they say services are more frequent during peak hours, and of course all the discussion above was about peak period frequencies. And as I said there is no way what so ever that Sydney's city rail network can be compared to Dart. For one Dart is a light rail network, not heavy like sydney. The city rail network extends for about 300km North, 200km West, 200km South and 200km South West and has over 300 stations. The bulk of the trains are 8 car double deckers, with a handful of smaller trains operating he diesel routes or suburban Newcastle or Wollongong services. Dart on the other hand has how many line, stations and covers what area? As I said no comparison what so ever.

Quote:
Or perhaps it's just an issue of my individual experience. Here, we only have buses, and most of the routes only come every 1/2 hour. There are a couple that run more frequently like 10-20 min, but I've never lived near them. I honestly would have a lot of trouble empathizing with anyone complaining about 10-15 minute frequencies, because if I had that type of service I'd be in heaven. Same way with most of the commuter train riders in NA.

Now if higher frequency is needed to handle rider capacity, then that's a different story. But if the goal is just to attract ridership by improving the passenger experience, then focusing on reliability, cleanliness, safety, and most importantly accessibility should be the main goals. By accessibility, I mean having direct transit service to more places people want to go.
You seem to keep switching between peak and offpeak times to make your argument. For a service like Dart I would say 10 minute peak should be the minimum and 20 minutes off peak. As for your argument that to attract rider-ship reliability, cleanliness etc should be priorirites, now whilst yes they are important so too is frequencies, especially in a city like Dallas that has a good network of freeways. If you want to get people out of their car you need to offer a frequeny service. It is no good to expect someone to drive to a park and ride and then wait up to 15 minutes in peak or 30 minutes off peak then travel when they could probably drive in a short time period.

Last edited by ajw373; May 6th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas