daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM   #41
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Impressive, I like it, although I'm not a fan of the design of the rolling stock.

The renderings for the stations look great, and IMO, a lot have excellent TOD potential.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM   #42
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

man dallas is stepping up alot great job man i hope other cities take a note on dallas for this.

man dallas is lucky.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #43
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
What makes you think that D2 will be done by 2013? According to thespecs on DART.org, the alignment won't be selected until after the new lines start running. Subway is only one option, and there are actually several subway options and one or two above ground options.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it open in 2013, but according to DART's service plan, things aren't going to happen that way.
I was wrong. DART wants to open the line in 2014, but it could be pushed back if they try to get additional funds or go for a more expensive option, etc. DART made a commitment with the city in the past to have it in service by 2018.

The alignment is going to be chosen by the DART Board between June-August 2009. All four of the options include a subway station at Metro Center and subway tunnel for at least the North-South section of the route.
dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM   #44
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

What amazes me is that Dallas is becomming decentralized yet there is a continued focus on the CBD. I understand the system is getting jammed, and I'm pleased they had the foresight to build a subway as opposed to a transit mall. Its just that nothing much goes on in downtown Dallas, especially at night. Compare it with downtown Fort Worth, where there is always something happening, day or night, and I'd say tongue-in-cheek that maybe they should put the subway there instead.

Also, DART's MO seems to be they like to establish a line nearby a main corridor in order to foster development. I dn't know if this is a wise decision. Finally, whether it be roads or rail, central Dallas seems to be ignored in transport scheme of themes. I'm talking about the central area north of downtown, such as Oak Lawn-Turtle Creek, all the way straight up and north through Addison. There is no cross Dallas Expressway. If we want to reroute traffic, maybe a subway under Fitzgugh or Mockingbird connecting East an West.

Fat chance but I do think it makes sense.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #45
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Am I the only one who isn't a fan of the layout of these stations? They seem a bit pedestrian hostile with oodles of surface parking surrounding them.

The stations aesthetically, however, are pretty good.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #46
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

You're not alone.

They seem to be quite far away from services/homes as well, so you would probably have to drive to the stations to use them. Multi-level parking would have been the lesser of the two evils.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #47
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Better for people to drive to these stations and ride the Train or Bus to their destination then everyone driving all the way to work.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #48
dfwcre8tive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Am I the only one who isn't a fan of the layout of these stations? They seem a bit pedestrian hostile with oodles of surface parking surrounding them.

The parking lots and green plots surrounding suburban stations are designed to be converted to garages and/or additional development when future demand is there. Stations that are in denser locations tend to have better pedestrian connections from the start.

Many of the rail lines have been built along old industrial corridors next to neighborhoods. DART has served an economic development role by enabling low-density, run down or vacant areas to become high-density transit-oriented development. DART's Orange Line will be the first line that does not follow a previous rail corridor, and it will have many more "urban connections" as it travels through Las Colinas and Irving.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #49
Ganis
BANNED

DART has helped Dallas grow. Their stations are well kept and make you feel safe and are eye catching in eye sore areas.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #50
dfwcre8tive

This information about the Cotton Belt Line was posted by NThomas on the Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum.

Quote:
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) and Fort Worth Transportation Authority (The T) are seeking to identify individuals and firms interested in entering into a Public Private Partnership ("PPP") to design, construct, operate, maintain and finance a cross regional passenger rail service starting on or about 2013. This service shall be known as the Cotton Belt Rail Line. The service may be implemented in various segments which are detailed below and should be the same type of vehicle and operating characteristics on the entire corridor. Businesses and individuals, including developers, financial firms, construction contractors, subcontractors, engineering and design consultants, equipment suppliers and all others who are interested in this exciting opportunity are invited to become part of DART's database of interested parties and attend a public symposium on Friday, June 12, 2009, from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at Union Station, 400 South Houston St., in downtown Dallas (DART Union Station).
A full schedule concept:
  • 20-minute peak period service headways in each direction
  • 60-minute off-peak period service headways in each direction
  • 60-90 minute service headways on Saturdays and Sundays
  • Weekday service span of 5 AM to midnight
  • Weekend service span of 7 AM to midnight

And it's all found from this pdf from DART.

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; May 30th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #51
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Holy shit @ those frequencies!

Quote:
* 20-minute peak period service headways in each direction
* 60-minute off-peak period service headways in each direction
* 60-90 minute service headways on Saturdays and Sundays
* Weekday service span of 5 AM to midnight
* Weekend service span of 7 AM to midnight
That's terrible!

90 minute frequencies on weekends is the stuff nightmares are made of.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #52
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Holy shit @ those frequencies!

That's terrible!

90 minute frequencies on weekends is the stuff nightmares are made of.
Youch, that's worse than the bus service to villages of 5000 people outside my town in the UK...
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #53
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

I'd say 30-45 minute frequencies on the weekends and 15-30 minute frequencies on the weekdays. At the bare minimum it needs to be 1 hour frequencies, 90 minutes is totally ridiculous. Even Utah's Frontrunner runs on 1 hour frequencies on the weekend. On the weekdays, the Frontrunner runs every 1/2 hour.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #54
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post

The surface parking surrounding the stations is precisely the point. Commuters are supposed to drive to the stations, park their cars there & get on the train. It's called Park & Ride.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:37 AM   #55
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
The surface parking surrounding the stations is precisely the point. Commuters are supposed to drive to the stations, park their cars there & get on the train. It's called Park & Ride.
Yes, I have heard of park and ride, though it doesn't make it an attractive solution to the transit problem. Park and rides are woefully inefficient and the large surface parking areas make TOD more difficult to implement. What should be done instead of park and ride would be to use frequent feeder buses that tie into the schedule of the train - as seen on the Stockholm T-bana.

Also, as I said, surface parking reduces the attractiveness of a walk up service. Having the barrier of parking and cars to pedestrians is a strong disincentive of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
I'd say 30-45 minute frequencies on the weekends and 15-30 minute frequencies on the weekdays. At the bare minimum it needs to be 1 hour frequencies, 90 minutes is totally ridiculous. Even Utah's Frontrunner runs on 1 hour frequencies on the weekend. On the weekdays, the Frontrunner runs every 1/2 hour.
A train system like this should be running at a walk up service of every 10 minutes ideally for a city the size of Dallas - 15 minutes should be the maximum time on a weekend.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM   #56
Ganis
BANNED

your talking about a region that LOVES to drive everywhere. Those times sound good to me, they are the same times for the TRE that runs between DT Dallas and Fort Worth.. Get a train schedule.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM   #57
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
your talking about a region that LOVES to drive everywhere. Those times sound good to me, they are the same times for the TRE that runs between DT Dallas and Fort Worth.. Get a train schedule.
There are lots of interesting articles out there about train scheduling and passenger utilisation. This thesis in particular is quite interesting as it serves to highlight the modelling that goes on behind train schedules and the perception of service by passengers.

An interesting study by Wardman (2004) showed a clear correlation between the frequency of the service and the likelihood of utilisation outside of commuting - IE for leisure purposes. This is one of the reasons that the most successful pull factor for public transport is the mantra - frequent and fast. Thus there is some peer reviewed literature backing what I'm saying.

By having an infrequent service you'll only provide token transportation and thus low ridership. Even in some of the most car dependent cities worldwide, patronage can be increased by the provision of a high quality public transport service. Perth in Australia is excellent proof of this. They built (basically from scratch) a brand new, high frequency heavy rail system (with 5 minute frequencies in peak hour on some lines) and public transport patronage has soared despite the city being heavily car dependent with extensive motorway networks.

The same could happen in Dallas if the political will was strong enough. To say that people there love driving their cars is a cop-out and will do nothing to change that situation.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM   #58
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

You see a few TOD's and plenty of denser areas abutting the Red Line as it goes north of Downtown, and similiar neighborhood-oriented stations on both lines to the south.

It might important to remember the new Orange and Green lines being built are running through a really strange environment, the mainly industrial swampy areas near the Trinity River. Kind of a Texan version of New Jersey.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #59
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

I think it would have been great if more stations would have developments like this taking place next to the stations:

Quote:
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #60
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

It will come. Some areas take longer than others. Look at the laggards from the initial blue line. Much of it is now built up.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas