daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM   #141
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Orlando is getting both commuter rail and HSR. I believe that makes Indy or Columbus the largest without rail transport.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #142
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Orlando is getting both commuter rail and HSR. I believe that makes Indy or Columbus the largest without rail transport.
Columbus and Indy are both in the process of planning for LRT (Though Colmbus's plan looks more streetcar-ey) so that would make the largest metro area in the US not doing anything on the rail front San Antonio.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #143
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Columbus and Indy are both in the process of planning for LRT (Though Colmbus's plan looks more streetcar-ey) so that would make the largest metro area in the US not doing anything on the rail front San Antonio.
San Antonio is planning a starter street car line. Lots of cities like to claim the "largest city without rail". Tampa, Detroit, Orlando, Indy, etc. the list goes on. With that said most of these cities are planning something, it just varies as to how far along their plans are. Orlando will get CRT and HSR in the next few years, if the referendum passes in Tampa we will get LRT (but if it does not pass...), Detroit is planning LRT and has the people mover (no matter what they like to claim, it is a real DT circulator system), basically America is waking up to using and building transit in cities that should have started planning decades ago.

Steve
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #144
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
They probably just need to continue to improve their bus systems more than anything else. I like trains, but it's laughable that billions are being spent to build trains that few will use while the Orlando bus system has less than 200 buses to cover a sprawling metro of over two-million.

I live 8 miles from the CBD and I could almost walk to it in the amount of time it would take to get there by bus when you account for transfer time.

Last edited by Dale; October 5th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #145
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #146
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Is San Antonio definitely going to build the streetcar, or is it just something they're throwing around?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #147
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I also read that DART is planning some kind of "rapid rail" line that connects the orange and blue lines.

Is that just a light-rail line with an interval of less than 15 minutes?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #148
dfwcre8tive

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I also read that DART is planning some kind of "rapid rail" line that connects the orange and blue lines.

Is that just a light-rail line with an interval of less than 15 minutes?
There's the Cotton Belt commuter rail line, but that will connect the Red & Green Line to DFW Airport (and onto Fort Worth). There aren't any plans to connect the Orange & Blue Lines (they will already connect downtown).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Belt_Rail_Line
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #149
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Congratulations Dallas for going full steam ahead with DART!
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #150
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Is San Antonio definitely going to build the streetcar, or is it just something they're throwing around?
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/VIA...treetcars.html

VIA Metropolitan Transit's trustees on Tuesday approved the routes for a streetcar system and directed agency staff to seek a $25 million grant to help fund an initial segment.

VIA plans to submit an application to the Federal Transit Administration by Feb. 8 seeking the funding for a 2.2-mile, north-south route that largely would run along Broadway and South Alamo Street, from Josephine Street to South St. Mary's Street. Officials currently expect that segment to cost roughly $90 million.

The board also approved an east-west route that ultimately could connect the AT&T Center to Our Lady of the Lake University, traversing downtown along East Nueva.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #151
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
Bachman Station junction
Does anybody else sense inherent danger devised into the built-in diamond crossing above, coz I do although I wouldn't be able to explain to anybody why/how come (I do)?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #152
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

• the lack of flyover
  • the distanced isolation of the crossover, so as to be thwarting some pest of a What?!?
  • the inherent share of the nearby downhill race from the lefthand side

Edit 24 Oct:
I meant to sum up above that its overall staging's too conspicuous to go unnoticed by me.

Come to think of it: its design strikes me as being drummed up by some machine, not by a human being!

Last edited by trainrover; October 24th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM   #153
dfwcre8tive

The new DART rail map and schedules have been released. The remainder of the Green Line, Lake Highlands Station (infill Blue Line) and limited Orange Line service open December 6!

http://dart.org/about/servicechange/servicechange.asp
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #154
dfwcre8tive

Old November 17th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #155
DCOBRA-K
JUSTICE FOR ALL

Likes (Received): 5

The system of LRT, i like the way it is designed and conectivity you have in the metropolitan area.

Greetings.
DCOBRA-K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #156
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

In Carrollton, there is a railway that runs underneath the elevated guideway. I haven't seen any trains running along the route and originally assumed it was to be abandoned. However, there are working signals along the route. Is this ROW truly abandoned, or are they planning to use it for something?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #157
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
In Carrollton, there is a railway that runs underneath the elevated guideway. I haven't seen any trains running along the route and originally assumed it was to be abandoned. However, there are working signals along the route. Is this ROW truly abandoned, or are they planning to use it for something?
There's a Commuter Rail planned to operate between Carrolton and Denton to the North, the Working signals were probably put in place in anticipation of the new line, which should open sometime next year.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #158
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
They are planning to use that ROW to operate the A-Train commuter rail which is supposed to run between Denton and Carrollton where it will connect with the DART rail.

A- Train
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #159
dfwcre8tive

The A-Train will use the freight track as far south as Downtown Carrollton Station; that will be the future terminus and serve as a connection to other rail lines (the Cotton Belt Line to DFW Airport). The freight track spurs south of Downtown Carrollton are still used by various industries for local deliveries (International Paper being the largest), so DART had to build above. Similar long stretches of flyover are located between Northwest Highway and Royal Lane. The Green Line corridor is heavily industrialized between Northwest Highway to LBJ Freeway. If you look at Google Maps you can see many abandoned freight spurs in the area.
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #160
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Having seen the clip with the Green Line ride (post #130) it seemes to me that the line goes from nowhere to nowhere. There are only few houses seen from the train, not really dense populated area along the whole route at all. Let's hope, they will develope this zone soon, so that there will come ppl to use this new line.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas